• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor - Xbox Live Gold Being Retired - Replaced by Game Pass "Core" - $9.99 - Game Pass Discounts w/ Limited Selection of "Free" Games at Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Information reportedly comes from Xbox's Korean website and a Windows Central article which has promptly been deleted.

3l2l0hi.jpg

Below summary via Era.

- 21 years after its creation, the term "Xbox Live" will be retired.
- "Xbox Live Gold" will be replaced with "Xbox Game Pass Core" on September 1, 2023.
- You will need to subscribe to the "Core" service to get online multiplayer and other benefits.
- "Core" will cost the same as "Live Gold" ($9.99 per month / $59.99 per year).
- All existing Live Gold subscribers will be converted to Core.
- The "Core" service offers 25+ Game Pass games: Among Us, Descenders, Dishonored 2, DOOM Eternal, Fable Anniversary, Fallout 4, Fallout 76, Forza Horizon 4, Gears 5, Grounded, Halo 5: Guardians, Halo Wars 2, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, Human Fall Flat, INSIDE, Ori and the Will of the Wisps, Psychonauts 2, State of Decay 2, and The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited. (MS says this list will grow in the coming months)
- Free Games with Gold will also end on September 1.
- Free games previously earned with Live Gold will remain in users' accounts.
- "Core" subscribers will still receive the same discounts on purchases as Game Pass subscribers.

Last edited:
Will Sony follow suit, or keep bringing the great game to to ps plus, ms just killed off free games on xblg with this move.

spons

Gold Member
lol at Game Pass Console not including online multiplayer. Even casuals like me need to get Ultimate to get at least something out of the entire service (couple of online matches a month, and that one game pass title). It's smart in that they just ever so slighty make the cheaper options garbage.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
lol at Game Pass Console not including online multiplayer. Even casuals like me need to get Ultimate to get at least something out of the entire service (couple of online matches a month, and that one game pass title). It's smart in that they just ever so slighty make the cheaper options garbage.
Well, they arent going to add MP to the Console $11 option which is just $1 more than Core. If they did that whats the point of Ultimate at $17 except for PC and EA Play access?

93xfan

Banned
I’ll wait for something official.

$10 if you just want to game online is steep. Maybe they’ll still do the yearly option for $60. If so, then no problem

And to see this come up just after I've been mentioning the disappearance of the $60 annual gold option from the Xbox console storefront multiple times earlier today ...

Still though, assuming this is accurate, I'm skeptical that Microsoft will keep the $60 annual membership option for the 'Core' tier for the long term, and that they'll only offer the $10 monthly option at some point down the line.

Edit: Oh, and those gold cards available on 3rd party retailer sites might become quite valuable in the near future, assuming they don't have an expiration date anytime soon.

Last edited:

adamsapple

What would this mean for the 1:1 or 3:2 Gold conversion?? Fuck, my Ultimate expires this December.

Regular GP and PC GP do the same conversion as Gold now.

All 3 of them do 3 : 2 ratio after the recent changes.

adamsapple

But what happens if I buy Gold from a prepaid card today and activate on December?

I'd say wait till this gets officially announced before making any purchases, it might be relegated to some regions like the ill-fated family tier.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Legal Xbox live gold price hike.

No peeps from Xbox fans.
That was two and half years ago, and never even went through. Dont tell me you did a google search looking for dirt and chose the first article you found which is outdated. lol

Assuming there won’t be a yearly option like gold has now, this will be a price increase of $60 to $120.
Assuming the rumour is right, the OP bullet points said this:

Kilau

That was two and half years ago, and never even went through. Dont tell me you did a google search looking for dirt and chose the first article you found which is outdated. lol

Assuming the rumour is right, the OP bullet points said this:

No version of game pass has a yearly option. Maybe this will be different, but I don't have access to the deleted story to see what it said exactly.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
No version of game pass has a yearly option. Maybe this will be different, but I don't have access to the deleted story to see what it said exactly.
Ah, I misread your line. It looks like no annual GP sub like currently. The best bet at a deal is doing the current annual Gold + GPU top up. It's still around, but the value got reduced with their new conversion.

adamsapple

Assuming there won’t be a yearly option like gold has now, this will be a price increase of $60 to $120.

Unfortunately the article isn't in any web cache or archive.org so I can't look it up.

But based on the bullet point copied from Era ( - "Core" will cost the same as "Live Gold" ($9.99 per month / $59.99 per year). )

it seems like they're just mostly rebranding and it will retain an annual sub as well.

Last edited:

Kilau

Ah, I misread your line. It looks like no annual GP sub like currently. The best bet at a deal is doing the current annual Gold + GPU top up. It's still around, but the value got reduced with their new conversion.
I jumped on that redemption error yesterday so I am good, but I usually try to get the 3 month codes off key sites cheaper and redeem them for the conversion. Not sure if that was reduced also.

Kilau

Unfortunately the article isn't in any web cache or archive.org so I can't look it up.

But based on the bullet point copied from Era ( - "Core" will cost the same as "Live Gold" ($9.99 per month / $59.99 per year). )

it seems like they're just mostly rebranding and it will retain an annual sub as well.
If they leave us a conversion option that would be nice, have to see once this is official but the rebranding overall makes sense.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
hmm, it does not say Gold is going to be removed. Just that "Game Pass Core" will also have online multiplayer.

adamsapple

hmm, it does not say Gold is going to be removed. Just that "Game Pass Core" will also have online multiplayer.

The blurbs which come from the now-deleted Windows Central article specifically say Core will replace XBL.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Hmm. RIP the Gold to GP conversion deal. You were good while ya lasted(I've been doing it 4-5yrs now). It's 3:2 right now, but that's for lapsed or new accounts. I'm on the last 15 months of a 3yr. conversion. Might be time to stack on top of my GP Ultimate? Time to figure out the best deal.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

That would really suck for folks who are only want to pay $60/year so they can play online.
This is one of the biggest questions for me...because you cant get an annual sub for Gold thru the console or MS website anymore. You might can get one from a retailer, or it may be several 3 month codes that equal 12 months.

Again, this flew completely under the radar.

Hmm. RIP the Gold to GP conversion deal. You were good while ya lasted(I've been doing it 4-5yrs now). It's 3:2 right now, but that's for lapsed or new accounts. I'm on the last 15 months of a 3yr. conversion. Might be time to stack on top of my GP Ultimate? Time to figure out the best deal.
Oh shit....lol.

I totally forgot about this.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
... that's two years ago. And fans did make a peep - which is why it didn't go through. If you're going to shit post, at least post some entertaining gifs or something.
That is nice and dandy, except this new service is basically that.

Unless you subscribe to Xbox Live Gold, this does mean the price of the service is moving from $60 a year to $120. Microsoft quietly removed its 12-month option last year, which used to be priced at $60. Sony still offers 12 months of PlayStation Plus for $60, and it’s not clear what Microsoft will offer to justify the sudden price jump.
MS is essentially doing what they decided to do 2 and half years ago under different name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom