• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People on r/Xbox report being able to play online without Gold

Shantae

Banned
tenor.gif

tenor.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
1. Glitch/mistake. Will be fixed soon

2. Free play weekend started early and MS didn't get around to telling people yet

3. Viral plant for free Gold

Take your pick.

Until its announced don't believe anything. I wouldn't be surprised if they lit things up just to disrupt SOP But I think that would backfire on them really bad. So I expect to hear something in the morning about it being either a free weekend or free forever.

DarkBatman

Highly doubt it's anything other than a Free Play weekend. They have started on Thursdays in the past.

According to the "Free play days" list on the German Xbox Live page there are no active dates atm.
Guess we may still hope for a big announcement today.

Mmnow

But in all honesty: I'm still able to buy XBox Live Gold for 3, 6 and 12 months right now, via Amazon.de and .com.
Wouldn't they risk a huge lawsuit wave even if they'd announce a refund program of some kind?
If you bought with the intention of playing online and you can still play online, I'm not sure you would have grounds, so long as some kind of equivalent value was given. Presumably you'd get the gamepass, on top of access to what you paid for.

I can't even think what grounds you'd have to sue. Too good a deal?

Last edited:

bitbydeath

People that only have gold and not Gamepass are also reporting that they now have Gamepass although they never purchased it.

If it were a mistake, why would they also be converting gold members to free Gamepass? Seems intentional or a really bad glitch with very bad timing.

Anyone able to test that here?

RPS37

I came in the thread planning to say, “well shit we’re really gonna try to force there hand here, eh?”
Now I’m just excited to try it out myself.

THEAP99

Banned
Sony is smug enough to still charge for online.
If that means we get great games so be it.

If this is all true about MS getting of the payall, Sony will also be forced to get rid of it and go big on ps now in response with day & date on the subscription and pc. Which will lead to a change in how they make their games as they will have to be made with ps now in mind to keep people engaged with the service via GAAS crap.

This would be really bad news for PlayStation fans as sony would compromise their vision in order to get rid of the ps plus paywall. long term consequences

I think what would happen is they would discount the PS5 even further and keep plus at the same cost. Its more beneficial (to sony) to discount the PS5 one time then it is to remove PS+ .

Last edited:

DarkBatman

If you bought with the intention of playing online and you can still play online, I'm not sure you would, so long as some kind of equivalent value was given. Presumably you'd get the gamepass, on top of access to what you paid for.

I can't even think what grounds you'd have to sue. Too good a deal?

There have been pretty wild lawsuits in the history of mankind.

Just think about it like that: I'm buying car A. The seller is bringing me car B, saying this one is a better deal because I don't have to pay more and have better extras. But what if I just wanted car A and didn't even care for car B?

If MS would've told me online gaming will be free in a few days, would I have bought Xbox Live Gold for 12 months?
And even if they turn it to Gamepass now, what if I don't care for Gamepass?

Still, would be a great thing for gaming in general. But I'd like to be sceptical before they announce anything officially.

turtlepowa

Banned
I don't think Sony could actually afford not to charge for online at this point.
45 million PS Plus members mean billions of revenue each year. If Microsoft also goes all in on the XSX and Lockhart prices, it could be too much for Sony to compete with both things.

Last edited:
Agreed. MS would only be doing it if they’re confident enough in the GamePass numbers taking its place. Sony haven’t built up PSNow to come anywhere near close to it.
Well there's a big difference here, even in the event of not, Microsoft owns and runs their own network. Sony on the other hand doesn't have one, they were on AWS but have converted to Azure, so now they're beholden to Microsoft for network services, and they have 90 million people on it.

They have to pay for all of this, Microsoft still has their network regardless of Xbox Live because it's for a dozen other parts of their business, it's a write off. This is coming straight out of Sony's ass.

Mmnow

There have been pretty wild lawsuits in the history of mankind.

Just think about it like that: I'm buying car A. The seller is bringing me car B, saying this one is a better deal because I don't have to pay more and have better extras. But what if I just wanted car A and didn't even care for car B?

If MS would've told me online gaming will be free in a few days, would I have bought Xbox Live Gold for 12 months?
And even if they turn it to Gamepass now, what if I don't care for Gamepass?

Still, would be a great thing for gaming in general. But I'd like to be sceptical before they announce anything officially.
Bringing a lawsuit doesn't mean a thing.

To use your car analogy, it's more like buying car A and getting car B as a bonus. You spent money to play online and you still can. If you don't want Gamepass, don't use it. You paid to pay online.

Sure, you wouldn't have paid for it if you'd known its be free, but what sort of defence is that? You could use it to justify a lawsuit against literally any price change or alteration of service.

But this is all academic. We just don't know if there's anything to get wound up about yet.

mortal

Gold Member
Sony literally said ahead of time there's' nothing big to expect from this state of play. I don't understand what's going on here
That Microsoft will be generating some good will for their brand and buzz away Sony this week.

Last edited:
This is crazy. The question is what it is. Here are what I’m thinking:

- Unannounced free play day starting now (unlikely, usually on weekends and it’s 11pm on Wednesday and worked where I am)

- Glitch on the server side of things for Xbox One entitlements (can’t play 360 games online, but could play One games online) causing free online multiplayer

- Accidental rollout of planned free online far too early (if they were testing it for accounts, and accidentally switched it on for all)

- Done before a theoretical announcement happening on Friday or something (I find it unlikely, but would be crazy)

I wish Microsoft would come out and say something so I know if I should get hyped or not.

That being said where there's smoke there's fire. All the recent rumors about this and now this happens?

DeaDPo0L84

If that means we get great games so be it.

If this is all true about MS getting of the payall, Sony will also be forced to get rid of it and go big on ps now in response with day & date on the subscription and pc. Which will lead to a change in how they make their games as they will have to be made with ps now in mind to keep people engaged with the service via GAAS crap.

You say so much yet say so very little all at the same time.

Dlacy13g

This is crazy. The question is what it is. Here are what I’m thinking:

- Unannounced free play day starting now (unlikely, usually on weekends and it’s 11pm on Wednesday and worked where I am)

- Glitch on the server side of things for Xbox One entitlements (can’t play 360 games online, but could play One games online) causing free online multiplayer

- Accidental rollout of planned free online far too early (if they were testing it for accounts, and accidentally switched it on for all)

- Done before a theoretical announcement happening on Friday or something (I find it unlikely, but would be crazy)
I think needing to register for xbox live continues in order to play. All gold accounts stay "gold" moving forward but pay wall dropped so you can still hang on to previous free games. Paid months for Gold get converted to game pass... This way they keep you in the ecosystem which ultimately is their goal.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
They've had free weekends that start on Thursday, so maybe this one just started early? But then again, there hasn't been any announcement on a free weekend.

GHG

Gold Member
Just like when Microsoft was smug to be the ones to introduce fees to play online, that wasn't Sony.

Now that they might make it free people are holding Microsoft up on a pedestal like they're the champions of all thats right and good.

Ironic isn't it.

What's even more ironic is that they are doing this now at a time they know it will really hurt Sony since its money Sony really can't afford to lose. Microsoft can eat the sudden drop in revenue but Sony will suffer as a result and they know it.

Like I said in another thread the other day, they now know they can't beat Sony at their own game so they are trying to change the game.

turtlepowa

Banned
Now that they might make it free people are holding Microsoft up on a pedestal like they're the champions of all thats right and good.
Don't worry, i'm pretty sure we will read plenty of reasons here why free online gaming is a bad thing and paying for it is good if Gold really gets free and Plus not.

Dr Bass

People that only have gold and not Gamepass are also reporting that they now have Gamepass although they never purchased it.

If it were a mistake, why would they also be converting gold members to free Gamepass? Seems intentional or a really bad glitch with very bad timing.

Could easily be giving people with Gold time left on their accounts some free Game Pass as compensation.

I do think it would be hilarious if this happened on THE DAY they said nothing was changing with Xbox live now or in the future.

Mmnow

Ironic isn't it.

What's even more ironic is that they are doing this now at a time they know it will really hurt Sony since its money Sony really can't afford to lose. Microsoft can eat the sudden drop in revenue but Sony will suffer as a result and they know it.

Like I said in another thread the other day, they now know they can't beat Sony at their own game so they are trying to change the game.
I kinda feel you got your understanding of the word ironic from an Alanis Morrisette song.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Just like when Microsoft was smug to be the ones to introduce fees to play online, that wasn't Sony.

No positive Xbox news allowed!. In all seriousness, it costs a lot of money to run servers at the extent Microsoft was with Live. You get what you pay for in that sense. PC is free obviously, but we have to put up with a hell of a lot of p2p shit.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Ironic isn't it.

Irony is when you're made of iron, you idiot

Paid months for Gold get converted to game pass...

They can't do that unless you agreed ... Gold gave free games , Gamepass lets you play games but they are not yours to keep. I think they can offer gamepass for those who want it and then just continue Gold for those who want that while At the same time they are forceing it to monthly to essentially double the cost and force you out of gold. So I see Gold being cancelled next year

Jadsey

Something doesn’t add up.

MS actually have a genuine mic drop, and they don’t even mention it!?

I’d expect to see Greenberg naked on top of the Empire State with a loud hailer.

It’s either a technical mistake or the worst marketing mishandle in history.

Either way, they sure as hell better roll with it now or it’s gonna make the Craig memes seem like gentle foreplay.

Last edited:
Top Bottom