• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that Nintendo is pushing core games like Metroid Dread as their big holiday release, which classic Nintendo franchises do you want back?

Which franchises do you want next?

• Fzero

• Star Fox

• Kid Icarus

• Wave Race

• Punchout

• Eternal Darkness

• Pilot Wings

• Golden Sun

• Earthbound

• Excite Bike

• Golden Sun

• Donkey Kong

• Mother

• Star Tropics

• 1080 Snowboarding

• Blast Corps

• Sin and Punishment

• Other (specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Actraiser. I discovered this gem after I bought a handheld SNES mod (or whatever they are) and got it from eBay. It's a hybrid adventure side scroller and sim. I really wish they'd make a new one.

Y0ssarian

Banned
I voted Donkey Kong because Country Returns and Tropical Freeze were pretty good, but I would also be interested in a Golden Sun game.

Vagswarm

I wonder what they are going to do with Eternal Darkness. No one trusts Dyack enough and he doesn't have the rights -- Nintendo does. They keep renewing the trademark but don't release anything, lol.

Would love to see a remaster or sequel. Don't know how they would make it appeal to a broad audience without ruining what made it great though.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
F-ZERO GX HD REMASTER with Online is it so hard Nintendo? is it so hardddd

TrueLegend

Metroid Dread looks good but i just dont get how it could be 60$. Ori doesnt cost that much. Hollow Knight doesnt cost that much.

Marty-McFly

Banned
I doubt they have the same budget or production. I know for a fact that Hollow Knight doesn't. Weren't the Donkey Kong Country games full price? And the side-scrolling Mario games.
2D Ports of Wii U games were full price but now Nintendo makes this godly Metroid game from the ground up and all of a sudden the defence force are up and arms about full price?

Pulllleaaase.

Ori and Hollow Knight wish they had half the budget.

samus-metroid.gif

ZXRaWbw.gif

ZSpPpIr.gif

D2KS2qi.gif

Last edited:

e0n

Donkey Kong and Star Fox will probably get another game in the future. F-zero in the modern age might actually be good if they embrace it as a Redline-esque highspeed racer. Kid icarus probably has potential if Sakurai wants to continue. Not sure if they would ever bring back Golden Sun if they have Xenoblade. Earthbound is probably dead without its creator. The rest have limited appeal.

TrueLegend

I doubt they have the same budget or production. I know for a fact that Hollow Knight doesn't. Weren't the Donkey Kong Country games full price? And the side-scrolling Mario games.
I don't care about budget and production. I care about output. Just because it has Metroid in name if you think it can easily outperform Ori and the Will of the Wips in quality I think you are in for a shock. This game won't be long. Also, although I don't have a problem with the art style, many have called it bland. As long as it is a mass-marketed and mass-produced product, I will judge it as one and on the same standards. How can Dread and Metroid Prime 4 have the same price if we are taking budget as standard, as I am pretty sure that game has even bigger budget.

Marty-McFly

Banned
I don't care about budget and production. I care about output. Just because it has Metroid in name if you think it can easily outperform Ori and the Will of the Wips in quality I think you are in for a shock. This game won't be long. Also, although I don't have a problem with the art style, many have called it bland. As long as it is a mass-marketed and mass-produced product, I will judge it as one and on the same standards. How can Dread and Metroid Prime 4 have the same price if we are taking budget as standard, as I am pretty sure that game has even bigger budget.
So then we are comparing apples and oranges back to apples again. Ori is better than a lot of AAA budgeted games, should they be cheaper by your logic?

Also the gameplay in Dread looks way better than Ori from what I can see.

Dr Bass

F-zero and Star Fox have been so badly mistreated.

Both could have had generational installments that simply tried to be a best in class racer and space shooter. Imagine if F-Zero GX had been built on with a sequel, or if we got a new Star Fox adventure in new star systems with new villains and great orchestral scores while flying through space in the Arwing ...

Why Nintendo? Why is Star Fox relegated to gimmicks that no one wants and F-zero totally abandoned? Why is Zelda and Mario the only two series that seem to get regular installments that sticks to their basic formulas while also trying to push the games forward. Why can't we get that kind of treatment for the other beloved franchises? Farm the production out to other studios while overseeing them if necessary. There is absolutely no reason for this to happen the way it does outside of Nintendo execs simply not giving a :messenger_poop: about making their core customers happy.

Nintendo's approach has baffled me for like 20 years, and it still does to this day.

I actually had a dream last week that Nintendo revealed a full remake of Eternal Darkness developed by Retro.

So ya, Eternal Darkness is number 1 for me. Fzero is a pretty close second. At this point I would be overjoyed with a fzero gx hd remaster

Vagswarm

F-zero and Star Fox have been so badly mistreated.

Both could have had generational installments that simply tried to be a best in class racer and space shooter. Imagine if F-Zero GX had been built on with a sequel, or if we got a new Star Fox adventure in new star systems with new villains and great orchestral scores while flying through space in the Arwing ...

Why Nintendo? Why is Star Fox relegated to gimmicks that no one wants and F-zero totally abandoned? Why is Zelda and Mario the only two series that seem to get regular installments that sticks to their basic formulas while also trying to push the games forward. Why can't we get that kind of treatment for the other beloved franchises? Farm the production out to other studios while overseeing them if necessary. There is absolutely no reason for this to happen the way it does outside of Nintendo execs simply not giving a :messenger_poop: about making their core customers happy.

Nintendo's approach has baffled me for like 20 years, and it still does to this day.
I thiink it all comes down to money. All the games on this poll don't sell that well compared to their evergreen titles, so they let them go idle for long periods. It's probably going to be even worse now that they have games like Splatoon doing the business too.

How the games are in terms of quality doesn't seem to matter, and that seems to be the case for all publishers. EA releases complete trash ports on the Wii or whatever, then decides not to support it. Doesn't even bother to look at the fact they released trash in the first place!

Marty-McFly

Banned
Sales. Titles that don't sell well either get relegated to B tier developers (which becomes a self fulfilling prophecy) or shelved.

The best we can hope for with F-Zero is a GX port.
Everything Nintendo is putting out on the Switch is breaking franchise records.

So now would be the time to popularise franchises that haven't had amazing sales in the past.

Which is why I suspect we're seeing 2D Metroid back.

Dr Bass

Sales. Titles that don't sell well either get relegated to B tier developers (which becomes a self fulfilling prophecy) or shelved.

The best we can hope for with F-Zero is a GX port.
Well I understand that, but I also think they are engaging in a self fulfilling prophecy at this point.

You can't make a completely half assed Star Fox and then say "see? It doesn't sell." Give it the same attention and care that Mario and Zelda do and then let's see.

There are so many places you could take both of these franchises. No reason to not just keep making F-Zero a fantastic futuristic racer. I mean we are on Mario Kart 8 for crying out loud, they made like three F-zero's or so? And at least two of them are considered classics.

Star Fox should expand on the SNES/N64 formula. Stop messing around with the Lylat system and Andross. Go somewhere else. An all new threat and a bigger scale. You could bring in some Wing Commander elements where you spoke to the other pilots between missions and could walk around the Great Fox. There is plenty you could do with the ship with weapon upgrades, or just fun cosmetics. There is no reason it can't just be the best space adventure Nintendo can make. They seem to content to make platform Marios over and over, as long as they are trying to push that formula farther. Same with Zelda. So there is no reason they couldn't just admit the Star Fox and F-zero formulas work and make at least one game every five years. Even if it doesn't sell 20 million copies like Mario and Zelda. It adds to the value of the platform and engenders trust with their core customer base that, hey, we are going to continue to support the franchises you love.

So yeah, I know it's "sales." I also don't buy that explanation.

Vagswarm

You can't make a completely half assed Star Fox and then say "see? It doesn't sell." Give it the same attention and care that Mario and Zelda do and then let's see.
The catch 22 is that they (most publishers) won't do that unless it's guaranteed to do the business. So we pretty much get trash or nothing.

*I completely agree with you by the way. Just sayin, that's how it is.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

The catch 22 is that they (most publishers) won't do that unless it's guaranteed to do the business. So we pretty much get trash or nothing.

*I completely agree with you by the way. Just sayin, that's how it is.
I hear you. It is a catch-22, I completely agree.

Also, completely unrelated .. I'm giving your user name some serious side eye there. :pie_thinking:

Marty-McFly

Banned
Well I understand that, but I also think they are engaging in a self fulfilling prophecy at this point.

There are so many places you could take both of these franchises. No reason to not just keep making F-Zero a fantastic futuristic racer. I mean we are on Mario Kart 8 for crying out loud, they made like three F-zero's or so? And at least two of them are considered classics.

Star Fox should expand on the SNES/N64 formula. Stop messing around with the Lylat system and Andross. Go somewhere else. An all new threat and a bigger scale. You could bring in some Wing Commander elements where you spoke to the other pilots between missions and could walk around the Great Fox. There is plenty you could do with the ship with weapon upgrades, or just fun cosmetics. There is no reason it can't just be the best space adventure Nintendo can make. They seem to content to make platform Marios over and over, as long as they are trying to push that formula farther. Same with Zelda. So there is no reason they couldn't just admit the Star Fox and F-zero formulas work and make at least one game every five years. Even if it doesn't sell 20 million copies like Mario and Zelda. It adds to the value of the platform and engenders trust with their core customer base that, hey, we are going to continue to support the franchises you love.

I hate to say it, but Miyamoto's semi retirement is probably the best thing to happen to Nintendo in recent years. Yes, he is the all time GOAT game developer, but he's not making many games anymore and has also prohibited a lot of games from being greenlit in the past because he was so steadfast that every game must literally reinvent the wheel. I doubt we would have seen a game like Dread green lit if Miyamoto had the power he once did at Nintendo. I would like to see a more conventional Starfox than the convoluted game he tried to create for the Wii U. An evolution of the formula is fine, not everything needs to be a revolution.

Last edited:

Vagswarm

I hate to say it, but Miyamoto's semi retirement is probably the best thing to happen to Nintendo in recent years. Yes, he is the all time GOAT game developer, but he's not making many games anymore and has also prohibited a lot of games from being greenlit in the past because he was so steadfast that every game must literally reinvent the wheel. I doubt we would have seen a game like Dread green lit if Miyamoto had the power he once did at Nintendo. I would like to see a more conventional Starfox than the convoluted game he tried to create for the Wii U. An evolution of the formula is fine, not everything needs to be a revolution.
From what I understand, all of Retro's titles were no good and he was the one who had them focus on Prime. I think he also suggested it being in 1st person. Who knows what else he did with other titles. They're still pretty great games, so it can't be that bad.

*I remember an interview with him and the director of Zelda, about BOTW, where the director would tell Miyamoto about certain things and receive feedback he'd never expect... usually about missing details. Then they'd go back and create whatever he brought up because they were great, logical ideas.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Golden Sun
More Pikmin
Mother/Earthbound remakes ( as the creator doesnt want to make more right? )
Star Fox. A mix between Adventurs and StarFox 64

Ah yes, 3D Donkey Kong please

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
From what I understand, all of Retro's titles were no good and he was the one who had them focus on Prime. I think he also suggested it being in 1st person. Who knows what else he did with other titles. They're still pretty great games, so it can't be that bad.
Metroid Prime came out a long time ago and Miyamoto is long past his prime as a game developer. He shouldn't be in change of making every major decision at Nintendo at this point, nor does he want to. Even he acknowledges when it's time to make way for new blood.

Last edited:

Vagswarm

Metroid Prime came out a long time ago and Miyamoto is long past his prime as a game developer. He shouldn't be in change of making any major decisions at Nintendo at this point, nor does he want to. Even he acknowledges when it's time to make way for new blood.
I updated that post to reflect on BOTW which is more recent. He still provides valuable feedback which they implement in the design. And they specifically ask him for feedback during the design process.

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
I updated that post to reflect on BOTW which is more recent. He still provides valuable feedback which they implement in the design.
No doubt that his contributions will always live on through Nintendo games and their philosophies in making games, but I think it's a good thing that he no longer has an iron grasp on everything Nintendo releases. That doesn't change the fact that he's the best to ever do it.

Dr Bass

I think we need to start calling you Marty-Money because the bolded above was right on it.

bender

What time is it?

The problem is that Nintendo could have an internal studio develop Star Fox and pour a ton of money into the IP and the sales wouldn't be much different than a more tight budget focused effort. It's why we see Camelot tasked with Mario sports titles. It's also why we see MecuryStream at the helm of Metroid. Or really anything that is only going to sell in the realm of 1-3 million units.

Marty-McFly

Banned
The problem is that Nintendo could have an internal studio develop Star Fox and pour a ton of money into the IP and the sales wouldn't be much different than a more tight budget focused effort. It's why we see Camelot tasked with Mario sports titles. It's also why we see MecuryStream at the helm of Metroid. Or really anything that is only going to sell in the realm of 1-3 million units.
Nintendo EPD is co-developing Dread and they are putting a lot of marketing muscle behind it. Some of Nintendo's greatest works have been collaborations with other developers. There is little doubt in my mind that they are shooting for more than 1-3 million units in sales with Dread. They want to make a big splash with Prime 4 following suit and this is their precursor to it.

bender

What time is it?
Nintendo EPD is co-developing Dread and they are putting a lot of marketing muscle behind it. Some of Nintendo's greatest works have been collaborations with other developers. There is little doubt in my mind that they are shooting for more than 1-3 million units in sales with Dread. They want to make a big splash with Prime 4 following suit and this is their precursor to it.

I'm sure they'd love to sell 10 million units. Breaking 3 million would be historic for Metroid. The last MercuryStream Metroid collaboration was not one of Nintendo's "greatest works".

Marty-McFly

Banned
I'm sure they'd love to sell 10 million units. Breaking 3 million would be historic for Metroid. The last MercuryStream Metroid collaboration was not one of Nintendo's "greatest works".
It was a great game and critically very well received regardless of what narrative people try to put on it now. Dread looks blow it away in every conceivable way and is being featured on the hottest platform on the market, not one that is on it's last breath like 3DS was when Returns released.

Dr Bass

See, I think they could do more than that with a well done Star Fox or F-zero.

Top Bottom