• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don’t Listen to the Naysayers Switch 2 release is NEAR

This is my last post for today. Enjoy your day.

Channel 9 Christmas GIF by LEGO Masters Australia

schaft0620

Its not this year for sure.

This is my last post for today. Enjoy your day.

Channel 9 Christmas GIF by LEGO Masters Australia

That is the RD1 Remaster and the Bioshock re-release with enhanced Nvidia features.

Last edited:
I think you will be disappointed if you expect XSX/PS5 power.

I have no idea on BC. If it is like an iPhone upgrade, i assume it is BC.

If it is a complete break from Switch. I find that highly dangerous, and while not a deal breaker. It would anger a LOT of people.
I'm not asking for the power of XSX or PS5, I want it to be a new generation like XSX and PS5. I totally expect the next switch to be less than stellar spec-wise.

Xbox has been doing BC for 3 generations so far. It's not a deal breaker and it's not dangerous. The Wii could play GameCube games and had controller ports for it. It's a very consumer forward move. So long as they stay with nVidia, BC would be relatively easy.

It absolutely is not coming out til 2024, at the earliest. Fall seems likely, though.

I do hope they build on the promise of doing more with the dock, for higher fidelity or something like that. If they can still deliver on the seamless transition to handheld without issues.

Last edited:
I think you will be disappointed if you expect XSX/PS5 power.

I have no idea on BC. If it is like an iPhone upgrade, i assume it is BC.

If it is a complete break from Switch. I find that highly dangerous, and while not a deal breaker. It would anger a LOT of people.

They can’t do a clean break anymore. Those days are over.

The industry has moved toward ongoing games, live games, people want to carry things over. No one wants to buy a new system and have to completely start over from scratch with their library. It also saves the developers money by not having to do so much work porting games over to new hardware. Whatever Switch 2 is, I’d be surprised if it wasn’t as BC-friendly as PS5 is. Back in the Wii U/3DS cycle Iwata talked about how much work it is to keep converting games to different systems, and the Switch was the fix for that. I don’t see any reason why they’d change that.

I think if anything they’ll double down on what worked well with the Switch and just make a better, faster, higher fidelity-capable Switch with a small but decent-sized SSD that can play first-party games in checkerboard 4K. And do premium ports/ upgrades of certain Switch games that are upgraded 4K/ optimized for SSD.

Last edited:

Zannegan

I'll say it again, no excuse not to have an OLED model alongside a regular model AT LAUNCH!

However its Nintendo and they aren't consumer friendly so I give it a 10% chance.
There's no way they'll want to have two models out the gate, unless you're talking an XL and a Mini, but even then. Two SKUs complicates production and distribution, muddles perception with consumers, and runs the risk of sticking you with a ton of leftovers that no one wants (see White Wii U, and to a lesser extent, Series S).

With how cheap OLED screens are at the moment, we can have the barest hope that they make the default version OLED. I wouldn't hold me breath though.

...On the other hand, I don't see how not having a certain feature or SKU at launch is anti-consumer.

Last edited:

Quasicat

There's no way they'll want to have two models out the gate, unless you're talking an XL and a Mini, but even then. Two SKUs complicates production and distribution, muddles perception with consumers, and runs the risk of sticking you with a ton of leftovers that no one wants (see White Wii U, and to a lesser extent, Series S).

With how cheap OLED screens are at the moment, we can have the barest hope that they make the default version OLED. I wouldn't hold me breath though.

...On the other hand, I don't see how not having a certain feature or SKU at launch is anti-consumer.
That Oled screen is a lot bigger of a deal to me than I originally thought it would be. Naturally, the games will drive me to the new platform, but the screen will help decide whether I use it in handheld mode as much as I do now on the current Switch model.

Buggy Loop

So we all agree that Nintendo should really not change a goddamn thing except power right? I hope they don't go into a quirky brainlet idea and fuck it up somehow.

Woopah

So we all agree that Nintendo should really not change a goddamn thing except power right? I hope they don't go into a quirky brainlet idea and fuck it up somehow.
I think it's fine for them to add in other innovations as long as:

1. It doesn't prevent the device having a good price
2. It doesn't add any barriers to third parties porting games to it

Banned

completely redesign the joycons... that is a must IMO.
they can use the same connector so that the old ones still work, but they have to make them more ergonomic, use normal sticks, and give them analog triggers.

Zannegan

I don't see Nintendo doing something like that for a main console, but ok.
I mean, you're not wrong (and thank goodness they didn't), but we were just coming off the 3DS and Wii U, and everyone was going nuts over Nintendo's old patents. They're pretty unpredictable at the best of times, but back then it seemed like nothing was off the table.

Plus, I guess it made a certain amount of "sense" as a combination of the Wii and Wii U's main gimmicks. The Switch also combines those central gimmicks, only in a much better way, but I can see how people would fall into thinking they were seeing a pattern. *shrug*

It was a fun (and insane) few days though, with people trying to track the "developers" based on tree reflections in the supposed controller.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I mean, you're not wrong (and thank goodness they didn't), but we were just coming off the 3DS and Wii U, and everyone was going nuts over Nintendo's old patents. They're pretty unpredictable at the best of times, but back then it seemed like nothing was off the table.

Plus, I guess it made a certain amount of "sense" as a combination of the Wii and Wii U's main gimmicks. The Switch also combines those central gimmicks, only in a much better way, but I can see how people would fall into thinking they were seeing a pattern. *shrug*

It was a fun (and insane) few days though, with people trying to track the "developers" based on tree reflections in the supposed controller.
Nah, it looks too ugly for a Nintendo console, it didn't match their branding at all, but yeah NX speculation days where insane, I even felt boosted out from threads by reading so much nonsense...

Zannegan

The stick drift is not my only concern with the JoyCons. The buttons are too small, the triggers not deep enough and the JoyCons themselves uncomfortable to hold. I really like the Pro Controller, though, so playing in docked mode is not a problem.
Agreed. Joycon are brilliant functionally, but they aren't super comfy for people with big hands.

The Wii remote, for all its issues, had great ergonomics (just not enough inputs). Here's hoping the next gen joycon are on par, comfort-wise.

Hudo

They should call the thing "Nintendo Wonder". But I guess they might want to incorporate the Switch brand somehow. But I don't like "Nintendo Switch Wonder". And I doubt they'll go with my suggestion (which I emailed to both Nintendo of Europe and NCL themselves) "Power Switch".

Edit: They already made a big error by not calling the "Switch Lite" "Lite Switch".

Last edited:
Please, it is my aunt. This is the 21st century!

Seriously, several years ago. I was at a dinner party and was seated with a developer and over the course of the evening the conversation became about ”why do some companies make decision X, while many consumers think they should make decision Y” instead.

Conceptually it was, is gaming “Art” or is it “entertainment”, and is “reinventing” the wheel every time being smart in game series? It was a cool conversation that stuck with me.
Bookmarked your comments so I can laugh in your face when November 2023 - Spring 2024 passes and nothing came out. You know, you have a rich imagination. I'll give you that. :D :D

Grain of salt.
But people are reporting dev kits for new Nintendo hardware are starting to show up at studios.

We will see.
You remind me of MrBossFTW...... He has an unhealthy obsession for GTA6. Every fucking fart he sees as an oppurtunity to talk about it. FOR YEARS.

Stop the obsession, it makes you look like an absolute donut.

You remind me of MrBossFTW...... He has an unhealthy obsession for GTA6. Every fucking fart he sees as an oppurtunity to talk about it. FOR YEARS.

Stop the obsession, it makes you look like an absolute donut.
I don’t disagree. Haha. Not really an obsession. The secrecy is interesting. In an interview Nintendo mentions that they want to be like an Apple and Android. From announcement to release.

Which I am curious if that is even possible with a gaming console. If it was an annual iteration like PlayStation. There would be no intrigue.

Top Bottom