• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that Nintendo is pushing core games like Metroid Dread as their big holiday release, which classic Nintendo franchises do you want back?

Which franchises do you want next?

• Fzero

• Star Fox

• Kid Icarus

• Wave Race

• Punchout

• Eternal Darkness

• Pilot Wings

• Golden Sun

• Earthbound

• Excite Bike

• Golden Sun

• Donkey Kong

• Mother

• Star Tropics

• 1080 Snowboarding

• Blast Corps

• Sin and Punishment

• Other (specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.

jdforge

Banned
I wonder what they are going to do with Eternal Darkness. No one trusts Dyack enough and he doesn't have the rights -- Nintendo does. They keep renewing the trademark but don't release anything, lol.

Would love to see a remaster or sequel. Don't know how they would make it appeal to a broad audience without ruining what made it great though.

This IP should be handed to Platinum to flesh out and vastly improve the combat mechanics, which were the weakest part of the game by far.

A remake of the original with much better combat, enemy variety and updated graphics would be a great experience.

bender

What time is it?
It was a great game and critically very well received regardless of what narrative people try to put on it now. Dread looks blow it away in every conceivable way and is being featured on the hottest platform on the market, not one that is on it's last breath like 3DS was when Returns released.

It was outclassed by a fan project that released around the same time. I'm glad my standards are higher than to call that effort great. Corruption released on a really hot platform too and didn't sell all that well. Assuming Dread is going to do gangbusters because it is on the Switch is a folly. Even though I have my doubts, I hope it is a great game and I hope it sells well.

bender

What time is it?
See, I think they could do more than that with a well done Star Fox or F-zero.

Maybe Star Fox though I'm still dubious at best, definitely not F-Zero. A sci fi, twitch-based racer is going to have really limited appeal. I kind of wonder what the best selling game is in that category.

Marty-McFly

Banned
It was outclassed by a fan project that released around the same time. I'm glad my standards are higher than to call that effort great. Corruption released on a really hot platform too and didn't sell all that well. Assuming Dread is going to do gangbusters because it is on the Switch is a folly. Even though I have my doubts, I hope it is a great game and I hope it sells well.
I'm not sure what game you're referring to but your opinion regarding Returns is in the minority. What I am sure of is that Dread is going blow the already great Samus Returns away and Nintendo is putting a lot more muscle behind it in every conceivable way.

Vagswarm

This IP should be handed to Platinum to flesh out and vastly improve the combat mechanics, which were the weakest part of the game by far.

A remake of the original with much better combat, enemy variety and updated graphics would be a great experience.
Cool idea. The problem is the pace... Eternal Darkness had to be slower in order to work. Even down to the timeline of humanity that the game is based around. Platinum usually makes straight action games, so it'd be going from one extreme to another.

bender

What time is it?
I'm not sure what game you're referring to but your opinion regarding Returns is in the minority. What I am sure of is that Dread is going blow the already great Samus Returns away and Nintendo is putting a lot more muscle behind it in every conceivable way.

Educate yourself. AM2R.

I'll be sure it "blows away" Samus Returns when I play it, not by lapping up Nintendo's marketing push.

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
Maybe Star Fox though I'm still dubious at best, definitely not F-Zero. A sci fi, twitch-based racer is going to have really limited appeal. I kind of wonder what the best selling game is in that category.
The Fzero franchise has sold close to 6 million copies.

Couple that built in nostalgia with the massive install base and selling power of the Switch in 2021 and an awesome follow up in the series, and I can see it blowing away expectations.

There is a ton of built up online fervor for the franchise that also shouldn't be underestimated.

Keep in mind spinoff games like Luigi's Mansion sold 2.5 million on the Gamecube and 10 million on the Switch.

Vagswarm

Nintendo EPD is co-developing Dread and they are putting a lot of marketing muscle behind it. Some of Nintendo's greatest works have been collaborations with other developers. There is little doubt in my mind that they are shooting for more than 1-3 million units in sales with Dread. They want to make a big splash with Prime 4 following suit and this is their precursor to it.
Metroid Prime 4 could certainly do the business. A lot of people are looking forward to it. Sales are usually positive when a game that came before it was very well received and receives a lot of hype. It's when a game underperforms in expectations that the next one doesn't do as well. Maybe that's why they aren't releasing a new Fallout any time soon, lol.

bender

What time is it?
The Fzero franchise has sold close to 6 million copies.

Couple that built in nostalgia with the massive install base and selling power of the Switch in 2021 and an awesome follow up in the series, and I can see it blowing away expectations.

There is a ton of built up online fervor for the franchise that also shouldn't be underestimated.

Keep in mind spinoff games like Luigi's Mansion sold 2.5 million on the Gamecube and 10 million on the Switch.

Almost half of F-Zero's sales come from the SNES, 31 years ago. Luigi's Mansion has much broader appeal, both in character recognition and design.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Almost half of F-Zero's sales come from the SNES, 31 years ago. Luigi's Mansion has much broader appeal, both in character recognition and design.
Yet there was not nearly as much online hype for it, and one would be foolish to underestimate the internet's growing influence, or to underestimate SNES games of 30 years ago in this age of nostalgia, or anything Nintendo releases on the Switch for that matter.

We'll talk more about it after Dread becomes the best selling Metroid in the franchise.

bender

What time is it?
It may also clear the bar by a lot higher than you're expecting.

Which doesn't mean much. I'm sure Aces is probably the best selling Mario Tennis game. That doesn't change the quality of the offering nor how Nintendo will approach future releases in the series. We shouldn't conflate sales, quality and Nintendo's willingness to invest in a series.

Sometimes Nintendo's approach works out, Next Level Games and Luigi's Mansion seems like the best example. Other times the results are varying degrees of less favorable.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Which doesn't mean much. I'm sure Aces is probably the best selling Mario Tennis game. That doesn't change the quality of the offering nor how Nintendo will approach future releases in the series. We shouldn't conflate sales, quality and Nintendo's willingness to invest in a series.

Sometimes Nintendo's approach works out, Next Level Games and Luigi's Mansion seems like the best example. Other times the results are varying degrees of less favorable.
I'm expecting a high quality product that sells well beyond expectations and helps bring Metroid to the mainstream along with Prime 4.

The timing feels right.

As does a new release of a new Fzero and several of the other series I mentioned in the OP.

I guess time will tell.

Kjtc1979

Also worth noting two things here:

1. Luigi’s Mansion on Switch was a follow-up to the 3DS sequel, which sold nearly double the GameCube original. Its Switch growth should be measured from Dark Moon, not the original game.

2. Metroid Dread’s marketing push is incredibly aggressive on Nintendo’s part, to the point that they’re launching it alongside new hardware. Their expectations are high, and it needs to deliver. This is their push to have the series become one of their core juggernauts.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Also worth noting two things here:

1. Luigi’s Mansion on Switch was a follow-up to the 3DS sequel, which sold nearly double the GameCube original. Its Switch growth should be measured from Dark Moon, not the original game.

2. Metroid Dread’s marketing push is incredibly aggressive on Nintendo’s part, to the point that they’re launching it alongside new hardware. Their expectations are high, and it needs to deliver. This is their push to have the series become one of their core juggernauts.
True, but we should also note that Luigi's Mansion on Switch is nowhere near done selling and still blew Dark Moon straight out of the water.

As for Nintendo's push for Metroid, this is incredibly good news. If the game sells over 3-5 million units or more it should push for massive Prime 4 sales, not to mention 2D follow ups to Dread. Great news for Nintendo gamers as it positions one of the best franchises in gaming at the head of the table.

Woopah

Golden Sun for me, but instead of Camelot give it to Team Asano so I can get that sweet HD 2D look.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
It's about time we get a new Tingle game.
dZ1JQvm.jpg

Impotaku

I voted kid icarus as i'd love a remaster of uprising i know sakurai is worked to death on smash so the chances of it actually happening are zero but it would be wonderful to see it fully fleshed out with nicer graphics and a bit more of a friendly control scheme.

Also would love just one final chibi robo game no weird spinoffs just a proper mainline one like the first one on gamecube or even better the 2nd on on the ds where you have a huge house to explore. I love that series and it's one criminally neglected by nintendo.

Blast Corps with modern game physics would be amazing. Cherry on to, take the gmap data and u can destroy a replica tokio. like MS with the flightsimulator

Aldric

Fzero and Kid Icarus. I think an Uprising remaster is a no brainer. It's one of their most ambitious games ever made and it's stuck on a hardware that's far too limited for what it tried to do. Granted Switch isn't exactly a powerhouse either but it's more traditional so a more familiar control scheme (gyro aiming like in Splatoon) and HD graphics would go a long way to give the game the success and recognition it deserves.

Fzero will eventually come back too, Dread shows that Nintendo rarely completely give up on series and concepts, that's one of the upsides of their tendency to recycle so we'll see a new entry eventually, the only question is who's going to develop it?

Hulk_Smash

Banned
I’d like another Wii Sports Resort. That game was fantastic. And we have better motion controllers right now. It was the perfect party game and if you implemented online properly you could have some good ole fashion arcade style leaderboards. And better competition of course.

jigglet

Banned
Nintendo isn't pushing Metroid as their big holiday release. Nintendo is stuck with Metroid as their only game and are thus forced to make lemonade out of lemons.

I love Metroid and I fucking love 2D Metroid, but let's be real - if their dev teams weren't so crippled by coronavirus there's no way they would elect to have a 2D version of a moderately successful niche franchise as their marquee Xmas title.

I love that a 2D Metroid is headlining their Xmas schedule. But let's not fool ourselves into thinking this is a sign of anything.

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
Nintendo isn't pushing Metroid as their big holiday release. Nintendo is stuck with Metroid as their only game and are thus forced to make lemonade out of lemons.

I love Metroid and I fucking love 2D Metroid, but let's be real - if their dev teams weren't so crippled by coronavirus there's no way they would elect to have a 2D version of a moderately successful niche franchise as their marquee Xmas title.

I love that a 2D Metroid is headlining their Xmas schedule. But let's not fool ourselves into thinking this is a sign of anything.
It's not only headlining their holiday schedule, it's in centrepiece in their adverts to launch the OLED SKU.

This is very deliberate. I love how Nintendo's planning is constantly misunderstood and underestimated.

We'll see how that ages when we see Dread and Switch hardware sales this year.

jigglet

Banned
We'll see how that ages when we see Dread and Switch hardware sales this year.

Coronavirus demand adjusted, of course, right? Cause everything is flying off the shelves right now.

My thesis is simple: 2D revivals of niche franchises as their marquee Xmas game is not going to be an ongoing theme. You think this is how they will continue to plan their Xmas schedules going forward, assuming they get development capacity back to normal? Do you think they would put them ahead of say, Mario or Zelda? Mario and Zelda for March, 2D cult classics for Xmas?

I'm not underestimating demand for 2D Metroid. You misunderstand me. I'm saying this as their only major Xmas release is not deliberate. It's cause they had nothing else ready. Anyone thinking this is a sign of things to come will be disappointed.

If BOTW2 was ready, there is no universe in which Nintendo strategically delays it in favor of 2D Metroid...unless you disagree with that? I'd be genuinely curious if so.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Banjo at some point Nintendo has to get that back from Microsoft just so the world can play a proper Banjo game. We know eventually Star Fox will arrive in some capacity.

graywolf323

Gold Member
I'd really love a Golden Sun collection like Advance Wars is getting

if you combine the votes for the two entries it's second w/ 32 votes behind F-Zero :messenger_smiling_with_eyes: (Mother/Earthbound combined is 3rd right now w/ a combined 31 votes)

Marty-McFly

Banned
Coronavirus demand adjusted, of course, right? Cause everything is flying off the shelves right now.

My thesis is simple: 2D revivals of niche franchises as their marquee Xmas game is not going to be an ongoing theme. You think this is how they will continue to plan their Xmas schedules going forward, assuming they get development capacity back to normal? Do you think they would put them ahead of say, Mario or Zelda? Mario and Zelda for March, 2D cult classics for Xmas?

I'm not underestimating demand for 2D Metroid. You misunderstand me. I'm saying this as their only major Xmas release is not deliberate. It's cause they had nothing else ready. Anyone thinking this is a sign of things to come will be disappointed.

If BOTW2 was ready, there is no universe in which Nintendo strategically delays it in favor of 2D Metroid...unless you disagree with that? I'd be genuinely curious if so.
There's also two Pokemon games coming this holiday, a Pokemon open world coming immediately after, not to mention SMVT, but Dread is the game launching with OLED advertising and being pushed because it pairs perfectly with the new OLED SKU and the early crowd Nintendo hopes to attract with the SKU. Everything was planned meticulously, not a fall back plan due to delays.

If everything is flying off the shelves right now due to Covid as you suggest, why would Nintendo release BOTW 2? It was never planned for 2021 at any point. Release it when Switch sales begin to slow and the competition starts creeping up in 2022 or later to sustain momentum.

Last edited:

Kjtc1979

There's also two Pokemon games coming this holiday, a Pokemon open world coming immediately after, not to mention SMVT, but Dread is the game launching with OLED advertising and being pushed because it pairs perfectly with the new OLED SKU and the early crowd Nintendo hopes to attract with the SKU. Everything was planned meticulously, not a fall back plan due to delays.

If everything is flying off the shelves right now due to Covid as you suggest, why would Nintendo release BOTW 2? It was never planned for 2021 at any point. Release it when Switch sales begin to slow and the competition starts creeping up in 2022 or later to sustain momentum.
Metroid Dread isn’t even headlining the holiday season. It’s headlining the OLED launch in early October. A core game to motivate early adopters of a premium hardware release.

The big holiday titles are Pokémon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl and Mario Party Superstars. I believe each of the Switch predecessors in those series have individually outsold the entire Metroid franchise.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Metroid Dread isn’t even headlining the holiday season. It’s headlining the OLED launch in early October. A core game to motivate early adopters of a premium hardware release.

The big holiday titles are Pokémon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl and Mario Party Superstars. I believe each of the Switch predecessors in those series have individually outsold the entire Metroid franchise.
Regardless of whether or not its sales can keep up with the usual mainstream fare, early October falls into the beginning of the holiday period and launching advertising with a their new SKU suggests it's a playing a pivotal role in Nintendo's plans, and Metroid being a title of such significance to Nintendo is very promising to Nintendo fans, which is ultimately the point here.

Kjtc1979

The premise of this thread - Metroid Dread is headlining Nintendo’s holiday schedule - is entirely wrong. You are correct that it would be a sign of serious trouble if that was what Nintendo was banking on this Holiday season.

Nintendo does more sales in December than any other month because they target families. They’re doing it with Mario Party Superstars and the Pokémon remakes this year, not Metroid Dread.

Dread has the potential to do better than any Metroid game before - low bar to clear - but it would be suicide for it to be Nintendo’s big holiday title.

I am sure that if BOTW2 was ready, it would be a holiday title. It is the type of game that would be released holiday or March (end of fiscal year) to maximize holiday or fiscal year sales. They strategically hold back the Wii U ports for gaps in the schedule, not their marquee titles.

Astral Dog

Donkey Kong Country and Bayonetta >>> or brand new ip for "core" games (whatever that means, Nintendo seems to count Super Mario Odyssey as hardcore)

Eternal Darkness would be interesting but its never gonna happen, Golden Sun is overrated, Star Fox mostly sucks those series were buried for a reason.

Astral Chain 2 and Xenoblade is gonna happen eventually

Top Bottom