• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that Nintendo is pushing core games like Metroid Dread as their big holiday release, which classic Nintendo franchises do you want back?

Which franchises do you want next?

• Fzero

• Star Fox

• Kid Icarus

• Wave Race

• Punchout

• Eternal Darkness

• Pilot Wings

• Golden Sun

• Earthbound

• Excite Bike

• Golden Sun

• Donkey Kong

• Mother

• Star Tropics

• 1080 Snowboarding

• Blast Corps

• Sin and Punishment

• Other (specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bakkus

What an exciting time to be a Nintendo fan. The possibilities seem endless considering how everything is selling on Switch.
That's the reason there's almost no chance of any of these happening. They have gotten lazy. If any of them were to happen, it would not be anywhere near the scope people would want, think stuff like Star Fox Zero or those 2D Pikmin and Chibi-Robo titles on 3DS, eugh.

Last edited:

CGiRanger

Banned
I would absolutely love a new Kid Icarus Uprising game.

Problem is Sakurai seems like he is going to be chained to Smash Bros for the rest of his life.... :goog_frown:

I mean, imagine the outcry of the Smash fanbase if it was ever reported Sakurai would be working on something OTHER than Smash... :pie_anguish:

2D Ports of Wii U games were full price but now Nintendo makes this godly Metroid game from the ground up and all of a sudden the defence force are up and arms about full price?

Pulllleaaase.

Ori and Hollow Knight wish they had half the budget.

samus-metroid.gif

ZXRaWbw.gif

ZSpPpIr.gif

D2KS2qi.gif
please make your post a spoiler post, did not know kraid was is this game. this isn't even a metroid topic. fucking douche bag

Marvel14

Banned
What about Metroid Prime? Sure its the same IP as Dread but it is a different "franchise " or whatever the right word is.

And sure its already announced as coming but since they started again from scratch there is still a chance that it never appears....

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
It's time for a new F-Zero. I'm not even the biggest fan, but it's been a long while and we've never gotten a proper follow up to GX. I'm ready, the world is ready.

Also Sin and Punishment because Treasure needs to come back.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I'd like a good new Star Fox.

But not like they did Zero, I'd like something with a lot of new ideas for the environments. Not another remake of 64.

tommib

Happy to see F-zero and Eternal Darkness at the top. Can someone show this to their Nintendo uncle?

Cutty Flam

Banned
Why doesn’t Nintendo buy the rights to Earthbound / Mother?

Those games look great but they only made like three of them. Ness and Lucas need to make a comeback

The way I see it, might as well if Paper Mario isn’t going to be having RPG elements anytime soon

Marty-McFly

Banned
I would absolutely love a new Kid Icarus Uprising game.

Problem is Sakurai seems like he is going to be chained to Smash Bros for the rest of his life.... :goog_frown:

I mean, imagine the outcry of the Smash fanbase if it was ever reported Sakurai would be working on something OTHER than Smash... :pie_anguish:
An hd remaster should be their first priority.

Woopah

Why doesn’t Nintendo buy the rights to Earthbound / Mother?

Those games look great but they only made like three of them. Ness and Lucas need to make a comeback

The way I see it, might as well if Paper Mario isn’t going to be having RPG elements anytime soon
Nintendo has the rights I believe, they probably just don't want to do any more without Itoi.

Vagswarm

This sure is one of the more balanced poll results I've seen. Other than F-Zero, nothing is dominating.

Nice to see Eternal Darkness doing well. Despite the controversy, I was hoping the Kickstarter from Dyack didn't fail because I wanted to play it so bad. 🤷‍♂️

kingwingin

Nothing really excites me from that list and I'm not really sure what else nintendo owns but I would pick up a new fzero.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
take this

and make it more like this

and include this

and make it online

Last edited by a moderator:

jigglet

Banned
Was there ever a 2021 release date for BOTW 2?

That's irrelevant. You're saying there wasn't. The onus is on you to prove that there never was, not for me to prove there might have been.

No one knows what their pre-corona intentions were, but you stated pretty definitively it was never, ever, ever in their plans to release in 2022. I find it hard to believe you knew that.

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
That's irrelevant. You're saying there wasn't. The onus is on you to prove that there never was, not for me to prove there might have been.

No one knows what their pre-corona intentions were, but you stated pretty definitively it was never, ever, ever in their plans to release in 2022. I find it hard to believe you knew that.
Nintendo makes zero mention of BOTW 2 in 2021 ever and the onus is on me to prove that they didn't intend it? Right.

They actually have it slated for 2022 though, so if it slips past that date then maybe you'll have some sort of of point.

Kjtc1979

Regardless of whether or not its sales can keep up with the usual mainstream fare, early October falls into the beginning of the holiday period and launching advertising with a their new SKU suggests it's a playing a pivotal role in Nintendo's plans, and Metroid being a title of such significance to Nintendo is very promising to Nintendo fans, which is ultimately the point here.
You claimed it is their “big holiday release,” and it isn’t by any stretch of the imagination. It’s headlining their new hardware launch, which is a big enough deal. No need to exaggerate.

Marty-McFly

Banned
You claimed it is their “big holiday release,” and it isn’t by any stretch of the imagination. It’s headlining their new hardware launch, which is a big enough deal. No need to exaggerate.
I believe it's their big holiday release as it's the game that ushers in a new SKU and brings new fans to the Switch, we have already seen plenty of Pokemon games on the Switch and thus they will not do much for hardware sales, regardless of the fact that Pokemon will sell more copies.

In any case, it can be argued either way and is not really worth discussing. It's a pivotal game for Nintendo this holiday and they are putting great importance on it.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

I want a remake of Zelda 2 the most. There is a lot they can do with that. They can even have MecurySteam develop it with guidance from Nintendo.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Nintendo makes zero mention of BOTW 2 in 2021 ever and the onus is on me to prove that they didn't intend it? Right.

So Nintendo never publicly mentioning a 2021 release is hard, bulletproof evidence that they never had any plans to release it in 2021 before the coronavirus hit?

You didn't say it would be a bad idea. You didn't say it would be highly unlikely. No, you said, and to quote "It was never planned for 2021 at any point."

That's a definitive statement and I'd like to know how you can back that up, other than Nintendo never saying it was scheduled for 2021 - that's weaksauce evidence. Do you have an internal memo or something?

Again, you didn't say it was highly unlikely or a bad idea. You said it was never planned at any point. Ever. I'm not claiming to know what was discussed internally at Nintendo - but you are. So yes the onus is on you to prove this.

Last edited:

Kjtc1979

So Nintendo never publicly mentioning a 2021 release is hard, bulletproof evidence that they never had any plans to release it in 2021 before the coronavirus hit?

You didn't say it would be a bad idea. You didn't say it would be highly unlikely. No, you said, and to quote "It was never planned for 2021 at any point."

That's a definitive statement and I'd like to know how you can back that up, other than Nintendo never saying it was scheduled for 2021 - that's weaksauce evidence. Do you have an internal memo or something?

Again, you didn't say it was highly unlikely or a bad idea. You said it was never planned at any point. Ever. I'm not claiming to know what was discussed internally at Nintendo - but you are. So yes the onus is on you to prove this.
BOTW2 was mentioned apologetically in the year’s first direct, before they revealed Skyward Sword HD. Then it was given a Coming in 2022 trailer at E3.

I have trouble believing it was supposed to release so late, given how early they revealed they were working on it. But as you said, there’s no evidence it was always a 2022 release. I imagine we will learn more about the development timeline once it’s actually getting ready to be released.

Kjtc1979

I believe it's their big holiday release as it's the game that ushers in a new SKU and brings new fans to the Switch, we have already seen plenty of Pokemon games on the Switch and thus they will not do much for hardware sales, regardless of the fact that Pokemon will sell more copies.

In any case, it can be argued either way and is not really worth discussing. It's a pivotal game for Nintendo this holiday and they are putting great importance on it.
If you think Metroid is going to move more hardware this holiday than Pokémon, which is launching with its own Special edition Switch Lite, I don’t know what to tell you. It’s obvious to me that they are trying to goose Metroid sales by attaching it to the release of the OLED, hoping first day buyers will pick it up at the same time. They are playing a long game, knowing there are more Metroid games to release during the Switch life cycle.

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned
If you think Metroid is going to move more hardware this holiday than Pokémon, which is launching with its own Special edition Switch Lite, I don’t know what to tell you. It’s obvious to me that they are trying to goose Metroid sales by attaching it to the release of the OLED, hoping first day buyers will pick it up at the same time. They are playing a long game, knowing there are more Metroid games to release during the Switch life cycle.
Yes, that's exactly what I think. Every time a franchise comes over to Switch from Nintendo, they bring fans of that era/demographic/franchise with them. Especially if it goes on to sell 5 million or more. I would easily wager that would move more hardware than a Pokemon game that sold 10 million or more considering Pokemon fans have already moved over to Switch with the last several Pokemon Switch games.

Also they are not trying to "Goose" metroid sales by pairing it with OLED, they are pairing it with OLED because it's graphically way, way ahead of any of the Pokemon games and is a much better fit to sell a premium model with a new screen.

Last edited:

Kjtc1979

Yes, that's exactly what I think. Every time a franchise comes over to Switch from Nintendo, they bring fans of that era/demographic/franchise with them. Especially if it goes on to sell 5 million or more. I would easily wager that would move more hardware than a Pokemon game that sold 10 million or more considering Pokemon fans have already moved over to Switch with the last several Pokemon Switch games.

Also they are not trying to "Goose" metroid sales by pairing it with OLED, they are pairing it with OLED because it's graphically way, way ahead of any of the Pokemon games and is a much better fit to sell a premium model with a new screen.

Again, if you think that first day buyers of OLED are showing up for Metroid and wouldn’t be there first day anyway, I don’t know what to tell you. I think it’s great that Nintendo is finally pushing the Metroid franchise with high production values and a high profile release date. It shows commitment to a franchise that has been on life-support for many years and deserves to be pushed to the upper tier. But the switch lite special edition for Pokemon will move hardware. The OLED will hopefully move some Metroid software, but many of us will buy the system and not Metroid.

Marty-McFly

Banned
Again, if you think that first day buyers of OLED are showing up for Metroid and wouldn’t be there first day anyway, I don’t know what to tell you. I think it’s great that Nintendo is finally pushing the Metroid franchise with high production values and a high profile release date. It shows commitment to a franchise that has been on life-support for many years and deserves to be pushed to the upper tier. But the switch lite special edition for Pokemon will move hardware. The OLED will hopefully move some Metroid software, but many of us will buy the system and not Metroid.
Interestingly, Dread preorders are ahead of Pokemon and Mario Party at Gamestop.

No.Game
1.Metroid Dread
2.Pokemon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl Double Pack
3.Mario Party Superstars
4.Pokemon Legends: Arceus
5.Shin Megami Tensei 5
6.Pokemon Brilliant Diamond
7.WarioWare: Get it Together!
8.Doki Doki Literature Club Plus
9.Sonic Colors: Ultimate
10.Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp

Marty-McFly

Banned
Kid Icarus Uprising really needs an HD rerelease. The multiplayer was so good.
Kid Icarus Uprising HD
Fzero GX with multi HD
Metroid Prime Trilogy HD
and Zelda TTP and WW HD which have already been made

That's 5 no brainer ports Nintendo is sitting on, and possible pre-release games to their successors

Woopah

Interestingly, Dread preorders are ahead of Pokemon and Mario Party at Gamestop.

No.Game
1.Metroid Dread
3.Mario Party Superstars
5.Shin Megami Tensei 5
Dread may get more preorders, but Pokémon will still sell 4-5 times as much.

Kjtc1979

No.Game
1.Metroid Dread
3.Mario Party Superstars
5.Shin Megami Tensei 5

Dread may get more preorders, but Pokémon will still sell 4-5 times as much.
Yep. As will Mario Party Superstars.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I voted for F-Zero, Star Fox, Donkey Kong, and Earthbound/Mother but there is one franchise that has potential that hasn't been maxed out yet

Nintendo should aim for a Star Fox game that matches or exceeds the greatness of Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader

Top Bottom