• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More powerful Nintendo Switch model rumored for early 2021

levyjl1988

Banned
We are talking about Nintendo:
Switch 1 doesnt even support simple Bluetooth headphones.... DLSS support is a loooooooong-shot

Nintendo doesnt have to do anything; They will sell a record breaking amount of "next-gen" Pokemon/Animal Crossing even at 480p, zero QoL updates, and no cloud saves.

Well, before Animal Crossing New Horizons was Animal Crossing New Leaf and they did not do so well as compared to now and it was 360p!

ultrazilla

Gold Member
A Switch upgrade makes all the sense in the world. I would definitely upgrade and many other will. This new system released alongside Breath of the Wild 2 would sell crazy from day 1.

And let's remember Metroid Prime 4 from Retro Studios.
IMO it's gotta be full backwards compatible with OG Switch games and hopefully will run those games better. I'm really curious
on what The Witcher 3 would look like along with performance...

Trimesh

Banned
Hopefully the new Tegra isn't using Samsung's fab process
I will be impressed if we get much more than some left over X2's that might be available cheap. Esp based on the details of the rumor which look like Magic Leap 1 leftovers. Would be enough to get them ~1080p (on current Switch level games). I would love to see Nintendo have something New (semi) custom made. Something that allows them to port PS4 games and get SOME current multiplats.

Why? People keep on saying this, but what's the point of 1080 on a screen that size? Plus going to 1080 means lots more power to run the panel (because it's got twice as many pixels) and more power for the backlight (because the higher pixel density means less of the panel can be transparent). So you end up with either a bigger battery or shorter playtime for an "improvement" that's not even going to be visible to most people at the distances you are typically playing the switch.

Ten_Fold

Wonder if the power would hit somewhere around ps4/pro levels so they might still get a little 3rd party, anyways I’m excited the switch is my favorite system.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Tech NeoGAF,

Let's say the Switch Pro does have DLSS 2.0 support. Do games have to ship with DLSS or can it be patched in via an update?
An example would be TLOZ: BOTW. This is a game IMO that would benefit greatly from DLSS and really improve the graphical fidelity. Would the game simply need a patch to
make DLSS work or would a new version of the game have to be produced? Thanks!

Wonder if the power would hit somewhere around ps4/pro levels so they might still get a little 3rd party, anyways I’m excited the switch is my favorite system.

I would be surprised if it would be even xbox one level, it is "sell slow for premium" Nintendo after all. Even that would be 3-5x more than current switch docked

You sure about that?

The stuff Nintendo puts out on weaker hardware is often pretty incredible. Since Nintendo has gone HD alone they have had a number of great looking games.

Nintendo with Switch tech is already capable of producing some very nice stuff, I can only imagine what they could do with tech at the level of PS4 or greater.

Just going from Wii U to Switch which was a tiny leap produced noticeable improvements in visuals. Just look at the difference between Smash 4 and Smash 5, it's pretty noticeable.
Now imagine what they could do with a true generational leap. Like going from Wii to Wii U for example was night and day.

Where have you been lately ? The Switch is the best selling console ( for like more than 18 months ). It will probably be the best selling console next year as well.

A Switch upgrade makes all the sense in the world. I would definitely upgrade and many other will. This new system released alongside Breath of the Wild 2 would sell crazy from day 1.

Nintendo should enjoy their success while it lasts.

It will be next wii u for all intents and purposes. Why disrupt when all is going well?

Weak MS presents an opportunity. The question has always been whether they have the balls to do it or not. MS is literally a third party box. Nintendo's lackluster third party support, and the money they're leaving on the table for refusing to compete for the mature gamer with a powered box is baffling to me. Why not go for those customers with a better value proposition than MS + the exclusive differentiators? With that said, it's going to be more costly to compete in Sony's space and expectations completely change in this realm in terms of exclusive content (more expensive to make cutting edge tech games, different tastes).

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
I see them upping some clocks getting better efficiency maybe better cooling some QOL and maybe some extra ram or faster ram.

I dont think anything major just doing what DF and you can do with a modded switch.

I fully expect the next switch to have DLSS and maybe some RT if possible. But thats probably 2022 or early 2023.

tkscz

I see them upping some clocks getting better efficiency maybe better cooling some QOL and maybe some extra ram or faster ram.

I dont think anything major just doing what DF and you can do with a modded switch.

I fully expect the next switch to have DLSS and maybe some RT if possible. But thats probably 2022 or early 2023.

I wouldn't be surprised if they went with the Xavier NX chipset nVidia released two months ago. The thing is the size of laptop RAM (because it is on laptop RAM PCB) has 48 tensor cores, 386 Cuda cores (128 more than the switch) runs at 3TFs (1.3tfs from Cuda and 1.7tfs tensor), supports up to 8GBs of lpddr5, while only using 15watts. For just an upgrades, its about the same as when the 3ds got the n3ds upgrade. This would allow DLSS support as well as it having tensor cores. They could also go with the AGX model as its still small enough to fit in the Switch's form factor, which basically just adds more cuda cores and runs at 4tfs, but requires 20watts and produces more heat.

As for an actual successor, DLSS is definitely in (assuming they stick with nVidia) as DLSS uses the tensor cores to run the AI that upreses the games. Raytracing is hard to say. Even if they went with Tegra Orin, which is 7nm Ampere based, there is no guarantee that it will have an RT chip. Could it while running at 15watts? Die shrunk and placed into a Ray tracing unit sure. Would it be as good as other consoles at it? Oh no, not at 15watts. Even if a dev creates a game running at 720p, looking MUCH better because of DLSS, while using raytracing, you're looking at barely a gigaray and still running at 30fps. While docked it can use anywhere from 20 to 30watts, getting much better results, but RT would sap a battery so fast, you might as well not mess with it.

Tech NeoGAF,

Let's say the Switch Pro does have DLSS 2.0 support. Do games have to ship with DLSS or can it be patched in via an update?
An example would be TLOZ: BOTW. This is a game IMO that would benefit greatly from DLSS and really improve the graphical fidelity. Would the game simply need a patch to
make DLSS work or would a new version of the game have to be produced? Thanks!

DLSS 2.0 is more of a post-processing effect that can be added into already created games as long as it works with nVidia hardware. OG DLSS the game's code had to be sent to nVidia for them to run the AI first and that took forever, so hopefully it's 2.0

Nintendo should enjoy their success while it lasts.

It will be next wii u for all intents and purposes. Why disrupt when all is going well?

How do you think it will reflect the next Wii U? Hardware? Both Wii and Switch proves you don't have to be the most powerful to sell well. Even prior to Animal Crossing, the Switch had already reached the 50 mil mark. Software? The Wii U itself proved that having 3rd parties on board doesn't always help. The Wii U actually had more 3rd parties on board than the Switch did at launch and in the first year. Hell, the Wii U actually got two Call of Duty games.

The Wii U's failure was due to very VERY bad marketing. People either thought it was a WAY too expensive Wii add on or didn't know it existed at all. Nintendo tried to use the Wii's name while not seeing that the Wii's sales had dropped in early 2010, no one played the Wii anymore. Naming the Wii U after the Wii was horribly dumb, not originally advertising it as a successor, actually showing gameplay off with the Wii's controllers up front, bit them in the ass so bad they had to release ads and statements saying it's not the Wii. It was hubris through and through. To repeat a failure of this magnitude, they'd have to do it on purpose.

Last edited:

Mozza

I wouldn't be surprised if they went with the Xavier NX chipset nVidia released two months ago. The thing is the size of laptop RAM (because it is on laptop RAM PCB) has 48 tensor cores, 386 Cuda cores (128 more than the switch) runs at 3TFs (1.3tfs from Cuda and 1.7tfs tensor), supports up to 8GBs of lpddr5, while only using 15watts. For just an upgrades, its about the same as when the 3ds got the n3ds upgrade. This would allow DLSS support as well as it having tensor cores. They could also go with the AGX model as its still small enough to fit in the Switch's form factor, which basically just adds more cuda cores and runs at 4tfs, but requires 20watts and produces more heat.

As for an actual successor, DLSS is definitely in (assuming they stick with nVidia) as DLSS uses the tensor cores to run the AI that upreses the games. Raytracing is hard to say. Even if they went with Tegra Orin, which is 7nm Ampere based, there is no guarantee that it will have an RT chip. Could it while running at 15watts? Die shrunk and placed into a Ray tracing unit sure. Would it be as good as other consoles at it? Oh no, not at 15watts. Even if a dev creates a game running at 720p, looking MUCH better because of DLSS, while using raytracing, you're looking at barely a gigaray and still running at 30fps. While docked it can use anywhere from 20 to 30watts, getting much better results, but RT would sap a battery so fast, you might as well not mess with it.

DLSS 2.0 is more of a post-processing effect that can be added into already created games as long as it works with nVidia hardware. OG DLSS the game's code had to be sent to nVidia for them to run the AI first and that took forever, so hopefully it's 2.0

How do you think it will reflect the next Wii U? Hardware? Both Wii and Switch proves you don't have to be the most powerful to sell well. Even prior to Animal Crossing, the Switch had already reached the 50 mil mark. Software? The Wii U itself proved that having 3rd parties on board doesn't always help. The Wii U actually had more 3rd parties on board than the Switch did at launch and in the first year. Hell, the Wii U actually got two Call of Duty games.

The Wii U's failure was due to very VERY bad marketing. People either thought it was a WAY too expensive Wii add on or didn't know it existed at all. Nintendo tried to use the Wii's name while not seeing that the Wii's sales had dropped in early 2010, no one played the Wii anymore. Naming the Wii U after the Wii was horribly dumb, not originally advertising it as a successor, actually showing gameplay off with the Wii's controllers up front, bit them in the ass so bad they had to release ads and statements saying it's not the Wii. It was hubris through and through. To repeat a failure of this magnitude, they'd have to do it on purpose.

You have to remember people on here and other core forums, only tend to think people buy things for the same reasons as they themselves do, they look at things in terms of graphical quality and frame rates, when in reality even the mass majority of the Playstation and Xbox market could not care either, hence the very small take up of their pro consoles, so within the Switch demographic they will care even less.

Last edited:

McRazzle

Don't know how reliable "Pixel Dan" is but here we go:
Rumor matches the SHARP executive stating at their shareholders meeting last year, they would be supplying IGZO displays for a gaming platform in the next fiscal year, and another executive stated to the WSJ, it was for "Nintendo's new game machines."
Also, Nintendo's advertising budget is the same as Switch's launch year, and they certainly haven't been spending it on game announcements.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Time to get my Switch sold then!

Good opportunity to get rid of all my games too. I might buy Breath of the Wild again as that's the only one I would replay. From now on I'll be 100% digital across all gaming platforms. PC, PlayStation, Xbox, Switch.

I really want a Switch that plugs into the wall + TV only. No more of this battery/joy-con nonsense. Just give me a console that sucks power from the wall and has a normal controller.

If it's just a standard switch then fine but needs to aim for 4K docked (maybe use DLSS), 1080p handheld, improved battery life, improved joy con quality, and way less bezels.

Last edited:

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
It seems the Switch Pro will be a real way for Nintendo to face Next Gen consoles. Specs are not finalized yet, but 4K is considered according to Bloomberg. And it seems several high profile games will be released around the new system. Very exciting stuff.

ultrazilla ultrazilla Can you update the OP? This is a good source. Takashi Mochizuki is reporting on it, previously with WSJ.

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Gold Member
4K doesn’t meant they’re taking them head on at all.

I don't think they'll be pushing native 4k either. I think the DLSS 2.0 can handle upscaling the graphics to that resolution, say from 1080p to 4k.
I'm pretty sure DLSS is capable of doing that and it doesn't require a massive hit to the gpu/cpu performance.

jigglet

Banned
I don't think they'll be pushing native 4k either. I think the DLSS 2.0 can handle upscaling the graphics to that resolution, say from 1080p to 4k.
I'm pretty sure DLSS is capable of doing that and it doesn't require a massive hit to the gpu/cpu performance.

Doesn't matter though. Even if they are 1:1 in terms of graphical prowess, Nintendo are never going to go after the hardcore dudebro market.

I agree they'll use something like DLSS but again, they won't be focusing squarly on PS5 / XB's demographic.

I think this is just a means of retaining dev support. Want to keep making expanded-audience games? You can still do it here without the pain of working with 2010 tech.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Doesn't matter though. Even if they are 1:1 in terms of graphical prowess, Nintendo are never going to go after the hardcore dudebro market.

I agree they'll use something like DLSS but again, they won't be focusing squarly on PS5 / XB's demographic.

I think this is just a means of retaining dev support. Want to keep making expanded-audience games? You can still do it here without the pain of working with 2010 tech.

Oh I'm aware Nintendo doesn't go up against Sony or MS in terms of power/graphics.
They love their blue ocean strategy and it's obviously working wonders for them.
I'm just excited that we'll hopefully get some nice performance bumps that would enable Nintendo and third party
developers a more reasonable system to port "next gen" PS5/Xbox Series X games.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
SONY has Nintendo on the run previous Nintendo consoles didn’t give a damn about power, graphics so about 35% more powerful it feels like Nintendo is building momentum into next generation you got the games and I don’t know why you’re so careless with graphics and power (crucial in video games) Switch Pro Lite will get Nintendo ahead and if Link comes back in Breath of the Wild 2 it’ll bury gaming

ultrazilla

Gold Member
SONY has Nintendo on the run previous Nintendo consoles didn’t give a damn about power, graphics so about 35% more powerful it feels like Nintendo is building momentum into next generation you got the games and I don’t know why you’re so careless with graphics and power (crucial in video games) Switch Pro Lite will get Nintendo ahead and if Link comes back in Breath of the Wild 2 it’ll bury gaming

tenor.gif

ultrazilla

Gold Member
There is no way anybody believes this, right? I mean surely nobody here that understands hardware specs believes this. Right?

Don't let me down GAF

Well this is Nintendo we're talking about. They are known to be pretty hard to figure out at times. We all know this. They could surprise everyone with a huge
across the board upgrade for the Switch(more ram, 4k resolution, DLSS 2.0, 1080p Sharp IGZO screen, etc) or just adding a bit more ram and better screen and calling
it a day. We'll probably get something between those two examples.

But yeah, anyone can break out the bullet point spec sheets and check off all the latest and greatest tech.....

iconmaster

Banned
Here's a fun exercise (for me; the rest of you can put up with it)...

Some things better interactivity could mean, besides "more powerful":

- a more responsive touchscreen
- a faster UI (though Switch is plenty snappy there)
- better compatibility with devices (imagine if getting your images and videos off Switch onto a PC didn't require shutting the thing down to remove the SD card...)
- better Joy-cons, either with less drift (yes please) or a proper d-pad option (also yes please). Would these be backwards compatible with the current Switch?
- IR cameras on both Joy-cons. Look, it's Nintendo. Don't rule it out.

Some things better image quality could mean, besides "more powerful" (you're probably assuming an implied "due to boosted graphics"):

- a better screen. Brighter, or with a better view angle, or even OLED.
- 1080p on-device so there's no quality drop when undocking.*
- Smarter upscaling when docked. This could involve something like Marseille's mClassic HDMI adapter built in, or Nvidia's Deep Learning Super Sampling.*

*Any of these probably require new dedicated internal hardware, but would not improve polygon counts or texture resolution or anything like that. If one of them happens and you want to call the result "Pro," I won't complain much. I also think they're all among the least likely outcomes.

They could keep the red case for Switch games, and make a black case for Switch Pro only games.

You're talking about a whole new generation then, like the jump from Wii to Wii U. I expect that sometime, but I really really hope Nintendo doesn't call it "Switch Pro" because then I'll be putting up with an endless stream of "see, they released a Switch Pro!" when it's not the mere mid-generation spec bump anyone meant by the term.

Last edited:
Top Bottom