• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo demoed Switch 2 to devs at Gamescom | Sources Claim it runs Matrix UE5 Demo With Comparable Graphics to PS5/XSX

zeldaring

Banned
Yet it runs then without a single issue beyond those that bigger consoles already have. In any case, you still have to deal with PS5 and XSX, Switch 2 won't have any issue most probably.
After this my research i doubt this. everyone is ignoring DLSS increases latency, especially the more it scales. And switch 2 is likely to have a CPU bottleneck when it comes to AAA games for the ps5/Xbox. Not to mention VRAM, memory speeds, etc.

Do we have any examples of handhelds with 12GB of ram? With 12GB of ram you'd hope to see over 200GB/s of bandwidth, but handhelds are usually limited in terms of memory bandwidth.

I always assumed Switch 2 would have 8GBs of ram with a memory bandwidth of about 150GB/s.

Real question. Since I believe we will see the Zelda tech demo early next year running on switch 2.

Does anyone think the next Zelda game could actually look like the Zelda tech demo made by Retro studios for Wii U?

I’m going to bet they still can’t produce a game they looks like that. But I’m asking in all seriousness.

I mean we already have PS4 era games running on Switch
- Witcher 3
- Nier Automata
- Alien Isolation
- MK11

and that's while using a Tegra X1 which was already dated when Switch launched. I can easily see Switch 2 pulling off PS5 era games, albeit with necessary cutbacks and workarounds.
True, I was thinking about the same thing with the PS4 era games, but aren’t most of those ports a step behind the PS4 versions visually especially MK11 and Witcher 3? I honestly think Switch 2 will land between PS4 to XBOX One X power-wise, but maybe Nintendo will surprise us with something comparable to PS5 era. For the rumored $400 I’m assuming they will definitely have to do necessary workarounds to achieve that with a hybrid console. Then again, if they truly want current generation games, they will probably have to pack in some advanced architecture for admirable ports though. We’ll see.

Kataploom

Gold Member
After this my research i doubt this. everyone is ignoring DLSS increases latency, especially the more it scales. And switch 2 is likely to have a CPU bottleneck when it comes to AAA games for the ps5/Xbox. Not to mention VRAM, memory speeds, etc.
That's still to be seen, zen 2 CPU on other consoles ended up being really bad, way better than Jaguar at the time of ps4/Xbone release, but still way worse that any of us predicted, so maybe it won't be for Switch 2 to surpass it.

Someone here in GAF told me Switch CPU is better than Jaguar CPU in last gen machines but haven't confirmed it myself.

Regarding DLSS, are you sure you're not talking about Frame Generation? I've never seen somebody complain about DLSS upscaling latency, in either case there's Nvidia reflex so it's ok.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It's no use. Nintendo fans don't want a powerful hardware, they said it more than a million times...

Remember your favorite Nintendo fans quotes on over mobile hardwares:
- Can we talk about the battery?
- So much power is no use it's gonna kill the battery in one hour... how stupid it is!
- Mobile and power don't go togerther (they live under a rock and are clueless about M1 and M2)
- What about the price?
- And so on...

I'm gonna take some popcorns! All those Nintendo fans gonna have a heart attack if Nintendo goes full power! It's gonna be a really hard time for them... Please Nintendo, for the fun, make a very powerful hardware to piss your fans!

- We don't need your powerful stupid PS that cost 500$
- We want aarrrttt over tech every day (and they had it, games run like shit)
- We want fun over you stupid tech....

It's gonna be fun like hell!

raw

That's why they all flocked to the wii u eh? What happened to the fun there? I mean it's failure definately had nothing at all do with a generation behind graphics......

The real reason the switch is successful isn't weak hardware and fun, it's good games and portability. The lack of completion has helped them know massive ways. Image the switch as a console only, it would have went over just like the wii u - a complete failure.

This generation they will likely face some portable competition, whether it be the Steam Deck, other portable pc's, cloud gaming portables, or even ms or Sony. A crap graphics console this time around won't work nearly as well - and I think there are some indications that Nintendo realizes this.

Last edited:

Poltz

If this console gets decent 3rd Party support alarms bells would start ringing for the Series S I think. All the Japanese games, Nintendo 1st party AND 3rd party game at near Series S price? No brainer.

Last edited:

skyfall

I mean we already have PS4 era games running on Switch
- Witcher 3
- Nier Automata
- Alien Isolation
- MK11

Also games they want but couldnt seem to make native ports of they got via cloud (control, resident evil 8 etc)

They are clearly going in the direction of more 3rd party, even for the high demanding games, so that means they are probably going for the appropriate hardware to make that happen.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
If this console gets decent 3rd Party support alarms bells would start ringing for the Series S I think. All the Japanese games, Nintendo 1st party AND 3rd party game at near Series S price? No brainer.

Definately true, which is why it's so critical for ms to have more exclusives like starfield, etc so it's not just the hardware and 3rd Party things that draw people in. They know it, it's why they want Activision too.

Xyphie

Do we have any examples of handhelds with 12GB of ram? With 12GB of ram you'd hope to see over 200GB/s of bandwidth, but handhelds are usually limited in terms of memory bandwidth.

I always assumed Switch 2 would have 8GBs of ram with a memory bandwidth of about 150GB/s.

200GB/s is not going to happen. Expect around ~102GB/s (LPDDR5-6400) to ~136GB/s (LPDDR5X-7500).

Last edited:

ThisIsMyDog

That's still to be seen, zen 2 CPU on other consoles ended up being really bad, way better than Jaguar at the time of ps4/Xbone release, but still way worse that any of us predicted, so maybe it won't be for Switch 2 to surpass it.
What the fuck? There are so many 60FPS games on Series X/PS5 but zen 2 "ended up being really bad".

zeldaring

Banned

Someone here in GAF told me Switch CPU is better than Jaguar CPU in last gen machines but haven't confirmed it myself.

Regarding DLSS, are you sure you're not talking about Frame Generation? I've never seen somebody complain about DLSS upscaling latency, in either case there's Nvidia reflex so it's ok.
Talks about input lag and trying to get a game to 60fps with dsll 3

BlackTron

Seriously, only a few weeks ago did I take a closer look and realize that the CPU in Series X is quite comparable to the i5 4690k in my many years old desktop build. This is of course a massive leap over the netbook CPU in last gen, but still puts things into perspective.

SABRE220

Right now NVDA has huge advantage vs AMD with DSLL but AMD is suppose to have a answer with FS3, if FS3 is close then the advantage is gone.
Nvidia has an image quality advantage over frs true(its just better tech), but in terms of performance savings it's pretty close. So if the switch 2 is using dlss to use ue5 at decent settings you can be sure the series S will still retain a significant performance/compute advantage over the switch 2 using frs.

zeldaring

Banned
Nvidia has an image quality advantage over frs true(its just better tech), but in terms of performance savings it's pretty close. So if the switch 2 is using dlss to use ue5 at decent settings you can be sure the series S will still retain a significant performance/compute advantage over the switch 2 using frs.
True also DSLL has input lag so it's actually not that great for a premium gaming experience. DF also mention that trying to take a 30fps to 60fps with DSLL in most games is basically unplayable experiance.

That's why they all flocked to the wii u eh? What happened to the fun there? I mean it's failure definately had nothing at all do with a generation behind graphics......

The real reason the switch is successful isn't weak hardware and fun, it's good games and portability. The lack of completion has helped them know massive ways. Image the switch as a console only, it would have went over just like the wii u - a complete failure.

This generation they will likely face some portable competition, whether it be the Steam Deck, other portable pc's, cloud gaming portables, or even ms or Sony. A crap graphics console this time around won't work nearly as well - and I think there are some indications that Nintendo realizes this.
Most of Switch games are either WiiU ports either direct WiiU sequels… and the WiiU was not powerfull at all. I dont get what you mean bro!

Last edited:

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
This gen has nothing to offer than better graphics, tho. Gameplay scope and systems, AI and sound have not evolved significantly in the last 15 years.
Agree. Even graphics now have huge diminishing returns (in resolution too). We already saw path-tracing so not much left to wonder. Games doesn't need that at all to be good.

zeldaring

Banned
Honestly starting to think DLSS digital foundry analysis was a paid advertising by Nividia, and a damn good one. like they finally talked about the negatives of DLSS input lag and how taking a game targeting 30fps to 60fps would not be a game you wanna play only when they started talking about FSR3. No longer a reliable source after this.

Last edited:

ThisIsMyDog

Honestly starting to think DLSS digital foundry analysis was a paid advertising by Nividia, and a damn good one. like they finally talked about the negatives of DLSS input lag and how taking a game targeting 30fps to 60fps would not be a game you wanna play only when they started talking about FSR3. No longer a reliable source after this.
What do you mean, DLSS has even less input latency than native image and frame generation increases it only a bit. The problem with going from 30 to 60 using frame gen is that game still is going to have the same input latency as with 30FPS, it just feels shit. Thats why even Nvidia recommends using framegen only if you can have minimum 60fps without it.

Woopah

Most of Switch games are either WiiU ports either direct WiiU sequels… and the WiiU was not powerfull at all. I dont get what you mean bro!
Switch has significantly stronger first party support than Wii U had, and even more significantly stronger third party support. That was the big difference been the two.

If Switch had the same lineup as the Wii U, it would have been a huge failure.

BlackTron

Switch has significantly stronger first party support than Wii U had, and even more significantly stronger third party support. That was the big difference been the two.

If Switch had the same lineup as the Wii U, it would have been a huge failure.

For most of its life Switch mostly fed off the Wii U's first party library that never got a chance to shine on Wii U. Those titles flew off the shelf and helped make Switch a success, which led to third parties wanting a piece. The key was getting the hardware and marketing/messaging right. BOTW, Mario Kart 8, Mario U Deluxe. Staple Switch games. It wasn't until Switch established a bulkhead using games they already had that the faucet turned on.

Without Wii U games Switch is in trouble, especially BOTW and Mario Kart 8. The big exception was Mario Odyssey. But if you subtract all the Wii U games from the library it doesn't look very good. It's more apparent if you had Wii U and already bought them all already. I bought Odyssey, but how do you think I felt having already owned SM3DW, MK8, Donkey Kong TF, Pikmin 3, Hyrule Warriors. I waited for them to run out of ports for a long time. Finally we have stuff like TOTK and Pikmin 4.

KingT731

Neither the ROG Ally or Steam Deck have anywhere close to that amount of bandwidth and they are both 16GB LPDDR5

Real question. Since I believe we will see the Zelda tech demo early next year running on switch 2.

Does anyone think the next Zelda game could actually look like the Zelda tech demo made by Retro studios for Wii U?

I’m going to bet they still can’t produce a game they looks like that. But I’m asking in all seriousness.
I'm not sure on that, but I would like to see an upgraded BOTW version on the Switch 2 that looks like this:

I'd buy that day 1!

I'm not sure on that, but I would like to see an upgraded BOTW version on the Switch 2 that looks like this:

I'd buy that day 1!

I'm not feeling the upscale. Looks too plasticky. Loses the feel of the original. Never liked the blurry rock et al textures in botw, but it nevertheless had its own beauty and was aesthetically balanced.

Last edited:

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
I'm excited to for new hardware. I have all the consoles and the only one I ever finish games on is switch. I don't really use portable though so any thing to give me a better dicked experience would be very welcome.

ARK1391

We all know how this usually ends....
My thoughts exactly. We don't know for sure what quality level the demo was shown at. "Shown at target specs could mean anything really. We also don't know for sure that the "Switch 2" will even be a handheld.

99% sure it will be, because the Switch hybrid model was so successful. But, if Nintendo is really trying to make a PS5/XsX competitor. Then a traditional console is far more likely than another handheld.

zeldaring

Banned
What do you mean, DLSS has even less input latency than native image and frame generation increases it only a bit. The problem with going from 30 to 60 using frame gen is that game still is going to have the same input latency as with 30FPS, it just feels shit. Thats why even Nvidia recommends using framegen only if you can have minimum 60fps without it.
DLSS 3 is fine when it works, but you need to get like 50-60 fps without it, otherwise it's way too laggy and those artifacts get way worse. so how is that really gonna help switch games bridge the gap to ps5/X like many people to think? they seem to think like DLSS magically gives 2x performance, and it realistically doesn't work in many scenarios .

Mister Wolf

DLSS 3 is fine when it works, but you need to get like 50-60 fps without it, otherwise it's way too laggy and those artifacts get way worse. so how is that really gonna help switch games bridge the gap to ps5/X like many people to think? they seem to think like DLSS magically gives 2x performance, and it realistically doesn't work in many scenarios .

Frame Generation will be good for turn based games like Pokemon on the Super Switch. Even the Xenoblade games would benefit from it. Anything that isn't realtime action based.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
Frame Generation will be good for turn based games like Pokemon on the Super Switch. Even the Xenoblade games would benefit from it. Anything that isn't realtime action based.
yea i get that it will help some games but honesty many people overhyped it and made it seem like you double the performance free. especially with digital foundry analysis basically a advertisement for Nividia and making it seem like you can get double the frame rate with out mentioning drawbacks or input lag.

Mister Wolf

yea i get that it will help some games but honesty many people overhyped it and made it seem like you double the performance free. especially with digital foundry analysis basically a advertisement for Nividia and making it seem like you can get double the frame rate with out mentioning drawbacks or input lag.

The Input lag is overstated by people who haven't used it much. I've used it plenty even modding it into games. If a Switch game is running between 45-60fps unstable and they use Reflex and Frame Generation to lock it to 60fps most console players will have zero complaints about responsiveness. They won't even notice using a controller.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
The Input lag is overstated by people who haven't used it much. I've used it plenty even modding it into games. If a Switch game is running between 45-60fps unstable and they use Reflex and Frame Generation to lock it to 60fps most console players will have zero complaints about responsiveness. They won't even notice using a controller.
Yes thats where it helps, and thats a nice gain but people were thinking they can get 200% gains and magically match ps5. Never mind that ps5 has something similar just not as good looking.

Last edited:
Last time I was super excited about Nintendo hardware was GameCube because they pushed power hopefully they can find themselves back in the power discussion again their first party games deserve better visuals on 4k displays

Kataploom

Gold Member
I think you might be right, I was shitting on it because my samsung TV has a very good frame interpolation feature for gaming (many people like it) but I still notice the input lag and that was my reference. Then I saw tests showing how FG input lag was even lower than native without it (as long as you don't use Reflex on native, oc) and now I'm waiting for FSR 3 so I can see what's all the fuzz about it.

I like lower input lag, I'm sensible to it, but I also love fluid animations and motion, to me that's a big part of the appeal of higher frame rates so even by a aesthetic stand point it would be great to me.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
their consoles have basically been incremental upgrades over the previous generations
Nintendo fanboy line of “specs don’t matter” will completely vanish
No...Switch was more than that, a portable that was more powerful as a handheld than the previous generation of home consoles.

It was impressive: "portable Skyrim!"- people excitedly shouted at the reveal.

Nintendo's strategy seems to be a portable that exceeds the previous gen's capabilities so I expect as you say Doctor Hades Doctor Hades that it will be between PS4 and PS4Pro with newer features...which may make it PS4 Pro Plus in some ways. A dock with a spec boost would make it interesting but I don't see it hitting or exceeding PS5/XSX in any scenario.

What's more interesting is, will there be a new blue ocean differentiator? Or will they just double down on the hybrid USP?

Knowing Nintendo there's.going to be something else going on. Augmented Reality, next level haptics, an unexpected VR implementation...something from left field to expand the gaming experience..

Gambit2483

No...Switch was more than that, a portable that was more powerful as a handheld than the previous generation of home consoles.

It was impressive: "portable Skyrim!"- people excitedly shouted at the reveal.

Nintendo's strategy seems to be a portable that exceeds the previous gen's capabilities so I expect as you say Doctor Hades Doctor Hades that it will be between PS4 and PS4Pro with newer features...which may make it PS4 Pro Plus in some ways. A dock with a spec boost would make it interesting but I don't see it hitting or exceeding PS5/XSX in any scenario.

What's more interesting is, will there be a new blue ocean differentiator? Or will they just double down on the hybrid USP?

Knowing Nintendo there's.going to be something else going on. Augmented Reality, next level haptics, an unexpected VR implementation...something from left field to expand the gaming experience..
Good point. Prior to Switch the concept of the "portable PC" was almost unheard of except for those sketchy as hell, unproven, kick-started projects.

Switch really did prove that not only was console gaming-on-the-go possible but there's an actual market for it (something Vita tried but failed to do).

Switch and it's success really did shake up the industry in that sense.

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Gold Member

OMG please let this happen!

With Eiji Aonuma saying him and his team are moving on from this storyline of Zelda, it's a perfect time to change up graphical styles again and go with a more realistic look like the Wii U
demo(still amazing to this day).

I have no doubt they could produce a game that looks like that and I'd go further and say I bet they could do even better now, especially if what it being rumored with the Switch 2 specs are accurate or in the ball park.

Cheers!

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
ps5 docked, Xbox one undocked
That is do able, but I really doubt it would happen due to price.

Nintendo ain't gonna lose money on the hardware, and they are not gonna price themselves out of the market. So I really think we should let that dream go.. it's not gonna happen.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

OMG please let this happen!

With Eiji Aonuma saying him and his team are moving on from this storyline of Zelda, it's a perfect time to change up graphical styles again and go with a more realistic look like the Wii U
demo(still amazing to this day).

I have no doubt they could produce a game that looks like that and I'd go further and say I bet they could do even better now, especially if what it being rumored with the Switch 2 specs are accurate or in the ball park.

Cheers!

The crazy part about this demo is in shits all over any fan made version of Zelda with UE4/5.

The crazy part about this demo is in shits all over any fan made version of Zelda with UE4/5.

I would LOVE to see what Retro studios could do with remaking a Zelda game like Ocarina of Time. Let them have some free rein to make gameplay changes and alter/update certain aspects of the story.

Nintendo will never let this happen.

PS4 Level Graphics with DLSS
8 - 10 GB RAM
512 SSD
Better CPU
Game Carts that can hold more
Backwards Compatibility (possibility where the older Switch games have improved resolutions and frame rates)

That's what I'm expecting. Just a PS4 with better modern hardware

I'm not expecting PS5/XSX Level visuals

Top Bottom