• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo demoed Switch 2 to devs at Gamescom | Sources Claim it runs Matrix UE5 Demo With Comparable Graphics to PS5/XSX

kiphalfton

OMG please let this happen!

With Eiji Aonuma saying him and his team are moving on from this storyline of Zelda, it's a perfect time to change up graphical styles again and go with a more realistic look like the Wii U
demo(still amazing to this day).

I have no doubt they could produce a game that looks like that and I'd go further and say I bet they could do even better now, especially if what it being rumored with the Switch 2 specs are accurate or in the ball park.

Cheers!

There's something special about the more "realistic" games that sets them apart from Windwaker, Skyward Sword, BotW, etc.

Hopefully one day we go back to that, if only for one game. God knows there's been enough stylized Zelda games.

Astral Dog

Real question. Since I believe we will see the Zelda tech demo early next year running on switch 2.

Does anyone think the next Zelda game could actually look like the Zelda tech demo made by Retro studios for Wii U?

I’m going to bet they still can’t produce a game they looks like that. But I’m asking in all seriousness.
Doesn't look that good aesthetically

But i bet the next system could make something comparable,that looks miles better in shadowing and lighting

The issue is that we are comparing a 1 minute demo in a single room to an enormous open world game , best to leave the Wii U Zelda Demo in the past

zeldaring

Banned
The Input lag is overstated by people who haven't used it much. I've used it plenty even modding it into games. If a Switch game is running between 45-60fps unstable and they use Reflex and Frame Generation to lock it to 60fps most console players will have zero complaints about responsiveness. They won't even notice using a controller.
Does DSLL even work with out a VVR display? cause it looks like it doesn't have a locked option from the videos i'm watching.

SNG32

This is Nintendo we are talking about at the end of the day. Alot of you are going to be let down once it actually releases. Nintendo is known to do the bare minimum when it comes to hardware. As long as they release Zelda, Mario and Pokemon it will sell gangbusters. They still don't have their online capabilities up to par yet we are saying that this handheld is going to be on par with a PS5 or a Series S for that matter. Wel'll be lucky if this is on par with the Steamdeck or slightly above it. They still got to sell this thing at 299 or 399 and I don't see a handhled that's priced around that being comparable to a PS5. I know better with Nintendo.

Last edited:
I wonder if Microsoft and Sony are considering Nvidia for their next consoles because of DLSS. Going from PS4 Pro specs to PS5 level of quality due to DLSS is huge.

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
I wonder if Microsoft and Sony are considering Nvidia for their next consoles because of DLSS. Going from PS4 Pro specs to PS5 level of quality due to DLSS is huge.
Digital foundry said it won't work for consoles because a VVR screen is mandatory. I was excited for FS3 on ps5 but basically its useless on consoles as well..

darrylgorn

Every time I see a Switch 2 thread:

Uh Huh Sure GIF

Moonjt9

I have to wonder if Nintendo comes through and finally finds away to bring the consoles abilities even close to what we are hearing. Will we finally get full on Western support and ports, all the big hitters. Could Nintendo threaten Sony and Microsofdt even more thant it already does, add in their cheap online. Could we see some epic domination? Pretty exciting, I want to believe!
A Nintendo console with actual horsepower compared to a PlayStation would make me seriously consider switching my main console. Though trophies are a real reason to keep staying on PlayStation. I feel like Nintendo needs to really up their online and profile system to compete even if they have comparable power.

Doesn't look that good aesthetically

But i bet the next system could make something comparable,that looks miles better in shadowing and lighting

The issue is that we are comparing a 1 minute demo in a single room to an enormous open world game , best to leave the Wii U Zelda Demo in the past
I absolutely agree with you.

To be honest, I actually would not be surprised if the next gen Zelda didn’t match this either.

Too bad. Retro’s vision for Zelda is the best I’ve seen outside of Links Awakening remake.

BootsLoader

Banned
There is no way it is that powerful because it will cost 800 dollars. We know that Nintendo pricing is always strict.
Of course they may have demoed their mobile tech etc, but this is just a demo. We will not get hardware of this level now. Also, batter will last 1 hour.

Robb

Gold Member
Too bad. Retro’s vision for Zelda is the best I’ve seen outside of Links Awakening remake.
In terms of artwork maybe, but everything else sounded pretty terrible..
At no point was it really anything like Zelda
combat [was] simplified whack-a-mole, with lead character Sheikh standing in place as wolves took turns to attack. Simply flicking the Wii Remote was enough to kill them.
Their [Nintendo’s] reaction basically boils down to 'this is seriously what you're proposing? Really?' ...[it was] immediately rejected

Not sure they had much of a vision for it tbh. But they do have some fantastic artists over there.

Last edited:

Hudo

Are you guys really complaining about not having a pop up congratulating you when you bonked 10 times against a random wall? I can understand the "proper account" part but are achievement really adding any value to a game?
I am still trying to get my head around that this seems to be essential to some players. Even back when achievements were a new thing in the Xbox 360 era, I couldn't figure out why people like them. I remember reading developer interviews where they said that having trophies or achievements was actually a requirement to get on the platform(s). Like what the fuck? Is it still that way? Why?

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Not trying to stir stuff up, I am just genuinely curious: Do people really care about achievements? That's wild. An "achievement system" is like the most unimportant thing I could think of.
Yeah. There is literally nothing to be gained from system-level achievements and trophies unless one is really, really insecure about other people believing they really did do something in some game. I blame schoolgrounds in the 80s and 90s. Nothing worse than telling your friends you beat a game, then they don't believe you because kids, and when you want to show them you go into performance anxiety mode and get a game over on the second level. I understand. But it's time to let it go. If someone makes fun of you because you can't prove you beat Sword Saint Isshin, that person should get a life.

I guess some people would be OK with many glaring defects in a console as long as there's trophies. I mean, it's already been happening for a while at this point.

Not trying to stir stuff up, I am just genuinely curious: Do people really care about achievements? That's wild. An "achievement system" is like the most unimportant thing I could think of.
I used to care about them, but I couldn't give less of a shit now. However, I do have a couple of friends who are all about getting those platinum trophies and 100%-ing them video games. I guess it would be nice if Nintendo would add an achievement system (one that's made in their own unique style) for those who enjoy them, but for me it's whatever.

SGRU

Are you guys really complaining about not having a pop up congratulating you when you bonked 10 times against a random wall? I can understand the "proper account" part but are achievement really adding any value to a game?

It's just one of those things that feels like Nintendo treating you as a kid. And also, yes, I like having a statistic about my completion rate on my games.

I'll buy the new Switch day one anyways.

Robb

Gold Member
I guess it would be nice if Nintendo would add an achievement system (one that's made in their own unique style) for those who enjoy them
Yeah, on paper it seems like low-hanging fruit but I’m almost certain they’d make something that’s very different/unlike Sony/MS, to the point that, for those that actually care about achievements on those platforms, Nintendo might as well just have skipped implementing them altogether.

What are the chances they announce it this year or is going to be early 24?

I've just sold my Switch. If the next console plays Switch games then I'll hold off and get that but if not then I'll buy a cheap Lite at some point.

Woopah

There is a point for them to demo this tech in case they are collecting feedback. In no case for releasing the product.
If they want feedback on target specs, it's because those are the specs they are targeting for Switch 2.

What would be the point of asking for feedback on specs, if you aren't planning on using those specs in your next console?

Jinzo Prime

Don't care about any of this until Nintendo decides to get their head out of the fucking sand and add a real account wide achievements system. I refuse to really play their games (except for Mario and Smash) due to a lack of proper achievement system.

One of the many reasons for not liking Nintendo.

Y'all care more about unlocking "achievements" than playing a game? Sad!

BootsLoader

Banned
If they want feedback on target specs, it's because those are the specs they are targeting for Switch 2.

What would be the point of asking for feedback on specs, if you aren't planning on using those specs in your next console?
They just provide a “demo console” and discuss various things with devs. After back and forth discussions they decide on the final specs.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
It is because you are used to it. Nintendo has never had them so it’s a new gimmic they can claim for the next switch. It will also allow them a HUGE opportunity for remasters sales from previous titles.

Would also be really cool if they tie achievements into their stores. A completed game is equal to 1000 gold coins or something which is about 3.00 in store credit or something along those lines.

Woopah

They just provide a “demo console” and discuss various things with devs. After back and forth discussions they decide on the final specs.
Right, a demo console with the specs they plan on using for Switch 2.

If the feedback from devs is positive, these are the sorts of specs they will go for that console.

Unless the dev feedback is "make it much weaker" which I strongly doubt.

Business idea: Just sell achievements/trophies.
This is kinda getting offtopic, but they already do... there's some dev pumping very low effort asset flips on PSN and Xbox for $0.99 - $4.99 for trophy/achievement hunters where you get the 100% in 10 - 20 min tops. Some of them are even making fun of this whole trend and how ridiculous the whole thing has become.

FZltAHXWQAMirpy

Hudo

This is kinda getting offtopic, but they already do... there's some dev pumping very low effort asset flips on PSN and Xbox for $0.99 - $4.99 for trophy/achievement hunters where you get the 100% in 10 - 20 min tops. Some of them are even making fun of this whole trend and how ridiculous the whole thing has become.

FZltAHXWQAMirpy
For fuck's sake...

But yeah, it's only logical, I guess..

Top Bottom