• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More info on PS5 backwards compatibility leaked via PS Store web source code

RAIDEN1

The only time Sony did well in backward compatibility was in the PS3 days....since then it has been downhill, I've said it before and I'll say it again! Games like Panzer Dragoon Orta, Burnout Revenge, Republic Commando to this day have not been bettered....

ManaByte

Gold Member
The only time Sony did well in backward compatibility was in the PS3 days....since then it has been downhill, I've said it before and I'll say it again! Games like Panzer Dragoon Orta, Burnout Revenge, Republic Commando to this day have not been bettered....

Even the PS3 wasn't perfect and needed an OS update to fix this annoying white scanline issue on PS2 games at launch. I remember playing FFXII at launch on my 60gb and it was annoying as hell.

Last edited:
Correct. This is basically a label for those few games that might not work properly. Same as it's always been since PS2.

The 99% claim covers that.

I think you may be assuming BC will be in a better spot than it will be. They may be testing games, but it doesn't mean they will be whitelisted. I expect a rolling whitelisting like on XBO with 360 games.

They may have tested 99% of games and expect them to be BC, but I wouldn't expect that to be there day 1. I would expect they get to 99% eventually, but the percentage at launch will be significantly lower.

I don't take the silence on this topic to mean anything positive. Since January, has a long period of silence been followed by any positive statements or a depressing reveal of new info?

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
This is to be expected. They cannot guarantee BC with 100%, so they have to have a blacklist. It is HW BC and 99% of the games will just work, but you cannot make a blanket statement.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I think you may be assuming BC will be in a better spot than it will be. They may be testing games, but it doesn't mean they will be whitelisted. I expect a rolling whitelisting like on XBO with 360 games.

They may have tested 99% of games and expect them to be BC, but I wouldn't expect that to be there day 1. I would expect they get to 99% eventually, but the percentage at launch will be significantly lower.

I don't take the silence on this topic to mean anything positive. Since January, has a long period of silence been followed by any positive statements or a depressing reveal of new info?

At least we can be sure that they’ll cover the most played games on PS4 at launch right?

Green Yoshi

I wonder how Final Fantasy XV will run on PS5. It is part of the PlayStation Plus Collection and the Digital Foundry video about it running on Xbox Series X was quite promising.

A lot of concern trolling in this thread.

Its just a fucking error message. We already know that while they're planning to have compatibility for most PS4 games, it won't cover all of them.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Buy many persons here on neogaf have been stating that 99% of the games were going to be BC at launch. Did they lie ?
So 40 out of that 4000+ may not work

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I do. Also with PS Now becoming more of a thing it highlights the problem more. I prefer playing on PS generally, but there is no denying this is an area that Xbox handles things better. On Xbox I can flip between the Xbox in my house, to one in the office and xCloud and not have to worry about manually transferring saves.

I think this is an area where MS will always be better at Sony in. They do software like this better, because they are a software company.

RAIDEN1

Even the PS3 wasn't perfect and needed an OS update to fix this annoying white scanline issue on PS2 games at launch. I remember playing FFXII at launch on my 60gb and it was annoying as hell.
I mean who wouldn't want to play an upscaled version of Ridge Racer from the PS1-PS2 days on the PS5?

Last edited:

On Demand

Banned

It'll work just like PS4 games do on the Pro. Sony made the same 99% claim and said not all games will work perfectly.

Don't know why everybody is acting all confused about this. Sony said months ago how PS4 games will work on PS5. So much FUD about the PS5 since it was announced and people have been wrong about every single one of them. Just because Sony doesn't brag about their console every day like try harders MS, doesn't mean there hiding anything. It's usually the loud ones who are trying to compensate for a shortcoming.

All PS4 games will work on PS5. End of.

nordique

Like knowing nothing because Sony doesn't say anything?
Well I don't play on Playstation platforms to I'm good. I just feel bad for the people who do and always fall for their shit they pull off.

They told us months ago though their backwards compatibility plans.

I do agree that I wish Sony was more to the point about these things, but they did say months ago it would be “top 100 PlayStation 4 titles by hours played” and then they would expand that list over time to support vast majority of games

And the OP post doesn’t deny or discredit anything. It’s a lot of fuss and backlash about nothing

MiguelItUp

The fact that people feel like they have to dig for details about this stuff is ridiculous. I still can't believe both Sony and Microsoft have been so quiet about details this coming gen. I feel like this is the most delayed details we've ever received.

Reactions: TLZ
I think this is an area where MS will always be better at Sony in. They do software like this better, because they are a software company.

That might be true in some ways, but not for BC necessarily. Sony's technical challenges there are much bigger since their previous consoles vary wildly in architecture up to PS4. Xbox, on the other hand, has always used a PC-like architecture with DirectX if I'm not mistaken.

theddub

Banned
That might be true in some ways, but not for BC necessarily. Sony's technical challenges there are much bigger since their previous consoles vary wildly in architecture up to PS4. Xbox, on the other hand, has always used a PC-like architecture with DirectX if I'm not mistaken.
Xbox 360 used PowerPC architecture quite a bit different architecture for CPU, in order, RISC etc...it's no cell but there were actually similarities in them , both from IBM

But yeah , Sony architecture in the past has definitely been more exotic, but there are emulators out there for ps1-3 and I'm positive Sony could write a better one than anyone else for their old tech. I don't even think it be a tremendous challenge for them.

Last edited:

ksdixon

Does this mean anything for PS1-2-3 BC?

In terms of other PS4 features, I need SharePlay and RemotePlay to be brought forward onto PS5 for sure.

Jokerevo

Banned
You've had 7 years to play ps4 games so I don't get the BC craze. I mean, keep your ps4 and play all those games now. Why upgrade to Ps5 if you're gonna play ps4 games? I seriously don't get it. Its the next gen, not the previous gen.

makaveli60

You've had 7 years to play ps4 games so I don't get the BC craze. I mean, keep your ps4 and play all those games now. Why upgrade to Ps5 if you're gonna play ps4 games? I seriously don't get it. Its the next gen, not the previous gen.
So where are the nextgen games I can only play on my nextgen console? And if I want to play my prevgen games in better quality? You didn't really think this through.

TLZ

Banned
I want to play my PS4 games in best resolution and performance possible, for best experience.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
So what do we really know?

Will it play at least ps4 pro versions with any performace boost?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I want to play my PS4 games in best resolution and performance possible, for best experience.

Yes agreed. And to the previous poster, sometimes you want to go back and replay great games. Or in my case I'm many games behind, so some will be new, it would be great to see them at thier best.

Reactions: TLZ
For anyone too stupid to know what 99% compatibility means.

No matter the technology there will always be some games that you can't play due to copyright/licensing bullshit.
Microsoft supports games going back to the original Xbox so it’s a losing battle before it even starts. You want to know how they did it? They assigned a backward compatibility team + they actually cared.

True, but one could argue they should have used those resources for new games instead.

I imagine Sony is not stupid. They must have done their research and concluded backwards compatibility is not worth it.
BC is a neat trick but inconsequential to the outcome of the console war.

hemo memo

Gold Member
No matter the technology there will always be some games that you can't play due to copyright/licensing bullshit.

True, but one could argue they should have used those resources for new games instead.

I imagine Sony is not stupid. They must have done their research and concluded backwards compatibility is not worth it.
BC is a neat trick but inconsequential to the outcome of the console war.

I agree but it benefits them now working on BC and coming up with an elegant solution (Smart Delivery) where Sony solution is a mess in comparison.

Top Bottom