• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More info on PS5 backwards compatibility leaked via PS Store web source code

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What I've been worried about for a while now and everyone said I was crazy and that PS4 games "would just work".

I guess we'll find out in November how many games are actually backwards compatible, because it sure doesn't seem like Sony is going to give us any solid details themselves.

TLZ

Banned
Maybe this is because the system OS is not the final version that's going to be available for public at launch. Probably by then we'll have the public release OS that'll have all games unlocked, like how the SX currently doesn't have them all unlocked.

This is what I hope.

I can't believe they haven't figured out cloud saves,I haven't manually touched a save file since the 360. How are playstation fans ok with this?

I can jump from multiple Xbox consoles in different locations or jump on xcloud and my saves are just there. Hell last week I downloaded Alan Wake after finishing the Control DLC and my xbox 360 Alan Wake save was there from 2010!

plip.plop

Not surprised, Jim Ryan is no fan of Backward compatibility. It was more than likely a low priority feature.

dotnotbot

I can't believe they haven't figured out cloud saves,I haven't manually touched a save file since the 360. How are playstation fans ok with this?

I can jump from multiple Xbox consoles in different locations or jump on xcloud and my saves are just there. Hell last week I downloaded Alan Wake after finishing the Control DLC and my xbox 360 Alan Wake save was there from 2010!

What do you mean "they haven't figured out"? You've got cloud saves with PS Plus. They work with PS Now.

Last edited:
lame...they better be tweaking every game to load in 2s, but what if I want to play a game that isn't supported yet...

BC is my only real reason to early adopt...I can wait a year to play demon souls while they finish engineering BC, maybe there will be a price drop at some point
the ability to play games you can play right now is the reason to buy a new console, not the ability to play games you can only play on that console.

ok.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Because most people don't game on multiple different PS4s.

Unknown?

What I've been worried about for a while now and everyone said I was crazy and that PS4 games "would just work".

I guess we'll find out in November how many games are actually backwards compatible, because it sure doesn't seem like Sony is going to give us any solid details themselves.
No they said that most or 99% will work and that likely still is true. They have to put this in for the few that don't work. They did this on PS2 for PS1 games as well.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
  • Wishlists on PS5
  • Parties can include up to 100 people
  • Share video clips, albums, artists, playlists, tracks on PS5
  • You can start something called a "Takedown"
  • Change party names and images
  • PlayStation Store will show which games are on PS+, PS Now and the PS+ Collection

interesting

ManaByte

Gold Member

-Backwards Compatibility:

• "playing PS4 games on PS5, some functionalities available on PS4 may not be available. See www.playstation.com/ps5-backwards-compatibility for more details." (dead link, currently)
  • "This PS4 game isn't supported with your PS5's current system software. We're continuing to make more PS4 games playable on PS5. Update your PS5, and then try playing the game"
  • "This PS4 game isn't supported with your PS5's current system software. We're continuing to make more PS4 games playable on PS5. Update your PS5, and then try playing the game."
  • "PS5 boost mode enabled"
So, not all PS4 games will be supported, and indeed, as suggested a few months back, you'll need to update the system OS to access newly compatible PS4 games.

Mmnow

I'm not surprised by the idea of games being added in batches. I'm sure it was in a leak a few months ago.

Those top 100 games, pretending that's all we'll get, probably covers everything that most people could possibly want. That's a lot of games - certainly almost every AAA release immediately worth replaying. There's always gonna be disappointment if the game you want isn't immediately playable, but depending what's going on, most people will have something to keep them going. Especially with the PS+ Collection. And I expect more than 100 games.

The issue is what's holding the system back? Rights probably. That'd explain Jim proudly announcing 99 per cent CAN run, and it would be characteristically tone deaf into the bargain. There's not enough information to speculate fully though. It might even be the error message for the one per cent confirmed, so I'll leave it there.

I'm more interested in what PS4 features won't work on PS5. Maybe it's just legal protection, but is there anything obvious I'm missing? Features we know aren't coming forward?

Last edited:

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

it took Sony 15 years to let us change gametag lol

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Kinda obvious that they'd have to keep the compatibility whitelist in the OS, because otherwise it'd force a network check-in every time an old PS4 disc was inserted to confirm its functionality. Which would of course be a pain if you were suffering a network or accessibility issue.

Dr Bass

Of COURSE there are BC error codes. If even one game can fail there needs to be error codes built into the system. Xbox has these as well. Error handling is beyond standard in programming and building systems.

I feel bad for how crazy people are getting.

semicool

Banned
I almost believe Jim Ryan's "99 percent of ps4 games" will be compatible. But I believe this will be eventually and NOT at launch.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

If there is one thing gaf has taught me in the past couple of weeks its that PS is falling apart and not worth it. /s

Last edited:

Skifi28

Of COURSE there are BC error codes. If even one game can fail there needs to be error codes built into the system. Xbox has these as well. Error handling is beyond standard in programming and building systems.

I feel bad for how crazy people are getting.

I did not expect to find common sense here. Get out please.

Top Bottom