• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Midnight in the Desert with Art Bell |OT| All Things Paranormal... Wanna Take a Ride?

Brandwin

Too cheap to hire a bodyguard? I don't believe these stories. Hopefully some police reports show up that document that this stuff has happened.

Sounds like made up shit so he could bail again. So is he saying it's the show and the harrassment will stop if he quits the show? If not, umm, he still living in the same house, so...

Kaladin

Too cheap to hire a bodyguard? I don't believe these stories. Hopefully some police reports show up that document that this stuff has happened.

Sounds like made up shit so he could bail again. So is he saying it's the show and the harrassment will stop if he quits the show? If not, umm, he still living in the same house, so...

Quite a few echo your sentiments in his post threads. There is no police report of the incident and as far as I can tell, there was only one incident with someone at his home.

It seems like such a sudden thing too and that is odd in itself because harassment like that tends to happen over time and build to coming to your house.

Hahaha and here we are again.

Glad I have my full archives, and honestly I expected this sooner. I feel for the situation but I have my doubts about the whole thing. Makes me feel awful saying that but I can't help myself.

Yka

Man, I was going to post tonight that I was afraid this would happen soon...

The announcement
I am sorry to have to announce this but I will not be on tonight or any other night, yes I am going to hang it up. Whoever this crazy person is, they are not stopping and it has come to the point that we as a family do not feel it is worth the risk. While I think the person or persons are after me, my wife and now my daughter are really scared, the other night after the latest incident my daughter was off in the corner of her bed scared to death as the police cars came screaming up. I will not put my family through this. As you all know I dearly love what I do but not at the expense of never ending terrorism. I want to thank those of you who have shown so much support and it has been my joy, short as it has been to have cracked that mic open for a last time. This was a family decision. The girls stuck with me and still would but if one of them were harmed because of what I love doing my life would be over.

Art

Yawnier

Banned
Aw man :(

I find this whole thing weird, but can't say I'm shocked after how times he has quit post-2000 though.

At least we have all his shows from the 90s to listen to

Talonz

If there was gun shots it would be in the news somewhere especially where Art lives. It would be the headline.

Welp, the ride's over. Not surprising at all. There are a ton of radio shows and podcasts out there, but none like the one that broadcasts from the kingdom of KNYE.

Narag

It was fun while it lasted. Didn't expect it to go on forever (or at least not 5 nights a week) due to how much of his time it took up.

ISOM

Man, I was going to post tonight that I was afraid this would happen soon...

The announcement

I am sorry to have to announce this but I will not be on tonight or any other night, yes I am going to hang it up. Whoever this crazy person is, they are not stopping and it has come to the point that we as a family do not feel it is worth the risk. While I think the person or persons are after me, my wife and now my daughter are really scared, the other night after the latest incident my daughter was off in the corner of her bed scared to death as the police cars came screaming up. I will not put my family through this. As you all know I dearly love what I do but not at the expense of never ending terrorism. I want to thank those of you who have shown so much support and it has been my joy, short as it has been to have cracked that mic open for a last time. This was a family decision. The girls stuck with me and still would but if one of them were harmed because of what I love doing my life would be over.

Art

Wait, what the hell happened. I haven't been tuning in lately but Art was being terrorized? By whom or for what reason?

Teknoman

Wow...thats messed up. Im shocked that people are messing with him of all people. You'd think Alex Jones would have more people harassing him...

Hex

Banned
What a mess.
It was a great ride and it was like an old comfortable chair having it back on the air.
Huge thanks to Yka for keeping the thread going and updates.

Yka

Wait, what the hell happened. I haven't been tuning in lately but Art was being terrorized? By whom or for what reason?

It started with this incident almost two months ago...

art_bell_shooting_zpsrpf85r8v.jpg

Then three weeks ago he received a death threat through a phone call, two weeks ago there was an intruder on his property and this week there was another incident near his home.

Latest update
Well by now I am sure you all know I have thrown in the towel yet again. This time it was because after this last incident I was still going to go forward with a open line show tonight until my wife sat me down this afternoon and said she now thinks we should stop, it turns out my daughter Asia had been sent to her room as the police were called and my wife found her shaking in the dark scared to death. People I am sure will say all sorts of things as usual but when my wife said enough and told me our daughter was in trauma over this last incident it kind of sank in that I have more to think about then myself and what people may say. As the police came they did so of course with lights and sirens, about three or four patrol cars I think and Asia did not know if I was alive or dead, too much for a 8 year old and mom.

Art

Teknoman

Couldnt it have been some sort of other criminal activity that might be in his area? I mean what reason could someone have for threatening him...

Diablos

God dammit, no! Some of Art Bell's guests and calllers were really, really lame and I did not always agree with some of his social and political points of view... but his show just has these moments that can really catch your imagination and he had so many interesting, if not entertaining guests. It's fun to listen to his show when you can't sleep (like right now). I am really pissed that he's going away again, but I understand.

What kind of asshole would shoot his gun at a 70 year old man with a family? I hope they catch whoever is responsible.

If this is truly the last time he did his show, it's a real shame that his epic radio career has been ended by another loon with a gun.

Well this was unexpected, and very unfortunate, though I can completely understand his reluctance to continue with the show.

I hope they find the bastard responsible for threatening him and his family.

Well, shit. I hope they catch whoever is doing this. Is quitting the show actually going to help anything, though? Is the person going to stop now? Sounds unlikely.

Heather was alright. It's a different style. She actually says goodbye to callers and stuff. lol She's way nicer to people than Art.

CDX

[ IMG]http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj20/YkaMackoin/art_bell_shooting_zpsrpf85r8v.jpg[/IMG ]

Then three weeks ago he received a death threat through a phone call, two weeks ago there was an intruder on his property and this week there was another incident near his home.

Latest update

Well by now I am sure you all know I have thrown in the towel yet again. This time it was because after this last incident I was still going to go forward with a open line show tonight until my wife sat me down this afternoon and said she now thinks we should stop, it turns out my daughter Asia had been sent to her room as the police were called and my wife found her shaking in the dark scared to death. People I am sure will say all sorts of things as usual but when my wife said enough and told me our daughter was in trauma over this last incident it kind of sank in that I have more to think about then myself and what people may say. As the police came they did so of course with lights and sirens, about three or four patrol cars I think and Asia did not know if I was alive or dead, too much for a 8 year old and mom.

Art

Bye Art.

I really enjoyed his Neil DeGrasse Tyson and his Michio Kaku interviews and was hoping we'd get more guests of that caliber every so often. I mean it's really rare to basically get a 3 hour interview with those people, so it was nice to hear.

Bye Art.

I really enjoyed his Neil DeGrasse Tyson and his Michio Kaku interviews and was hoping we'd get more guests of that caliber every so often. I mean it's really rare to basically get a 3 hour interview with those people, so it was nice to hear.

Neil has his own weekly podcast called Star Talk. In case you didn't know.

If you guys are looking for another paranormal show, try After Dark on Dark Matter Digital Network on Sundays 9 PST/Midnight EST. Bryan Alvarez is the host. You might know him as the Wrestling Observer guy that does the show with Dave Meltzer.

Dark Matter usually has some paranoid crazies on when I check it out, so I don't know of any other good shows on there. The Dark Matter News lady, Amy Morton, just started a podcast that's not on Dark Matter. You can find it at http://hauntedskeptic.com I listened to one and it was pretty good.

Art is such a flake that I can't help but be sceptical about this whole stalker forcing him off the air story. It could be true but it could also very easily be fabricated in order to quit while saving face. Oh well, at least this comeback lasted longer than 6 weeks.

stressboy

I have been listening to Art since the 90s and the one thing you can count on is him quitting. It is sad cause I think he is the best at what he does, and I refuse to listen to Whorge on C2C.

Diablos

In fairness, he is 70. He's reaching the end of his life, he might not want to spend a large chunk of it doing the radio show every night.

People were already calling into the show after he left trying to think of some conspiracy.

blackflag

In fairness, he is 70. He's reaching the end of his life, he might not want to spend a large chunk of it doing the radio show every night.

People were already calling into the show after he left trying to think of some conspiracy.

And if he had just said that I'd be all "oh ok"

ISOM

art_bell_shooting_zpsrpf85r8v.jpg

Latest update

Art

But what makes him think that canceling the show will stop the terrorizing? Or are they moving out of the state and can't continue the show? This is all confusing as fuck and I'm more likely to believe that he just didn't want to do the show anymore. Well, the show had it's moments for sure.

Alcibiades

Thanks for posting this last night. I actually only caught the last 30 min. or so but it was great. Classic Art and it seemed like he was having a blast. It sounded like Art from 10+ years ago.

I actually sat through the 2 hours "After Midnight" Hoagland show and it was interesting to hear them discuss politics. Funny though Hoagland is predicting a Bernie victory.

Brandwin

Art better be careful, he'll have those stalkers shooting at his place again. Unless those people only get upset if he does shows more frequently...

Talyn

Oh shit Art is back?!
No, he's not back and starting in a few weeks Heather will be doing 5 hours a night instead of 3 because Hoagland is leaving to do his show elsewhere. Art's pretty much said he's not coming back and it's her show now, he has COPD which is no surprise as he's a lifelong smoker.

Yka

Art has pneumonia and he is at the hospital right now. Heather is talking about Art on Midnight in the Desert tonight. Live stream on Dark Matter Digital Network and TuneIn.

From Art's Facebook profile...
I am back the hospital again, details when I can spend time typing.

Art

EDIT: 7.4.2016 They post updates on Art's situation on ArtBell.com...
Art is currently in a Las Vegas hospital for pneumonia and additional symptoms of C.O.P.D. He is awaiting the results of tests to determine what specific medication he should receive, while he does receive general antibiotics and pain relievers. Art is in substantial pain with this ailment, so please send him good thoughts and well wishes to recover from this.

Latest update...
Did the MRI thing, still consuming drugs, no progress report yet.

Alcibiades

5 hours a night!?

Damn there has to be some wacky D-list radio conspiracy nut radio host somewhere that could at least take two of those hours or something. Who is going to listen to the same host for 5 hours straight?

Can't imagine Hoagland had a compelling reason to leave.

Ugh, hope he can pull through. I haven't been listening to Heather but was recently listening to some old Ghost to Ghost shows from the 90s, some of the best radio ever. The airwaves just aren't the same without him.

Top Bottom