• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Art Bell returns to airwave on SiriusXM. Fans of the night rejoice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Art Bell, original mastermind behind Coast to Coast AM, is returning to the airwaves in Sept. 16th on SiriusXM.

His website, recently relaunched to hint at this announcement, has more info:
http://artbell.com/
Launch Monday September 16th (if no anomalies)
LIVE Mon-Thur 7-10pm Pacific (10pm-1am Eastern)
Replayed All Night Until 3am Pacific, 6am Eastern
Replays Friday - Best of the Week, Weekends TBA
Channel Indie Talk Channel 104 (8 Hours/Day)

Here's the story:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/radios-art-bell-returning-sirius-xm-show

NEW YORK (AP) — Art Bell, radio's master of the paranormal and outward edges of science, will return to the microphone on Sept. 16 with a new nighttime show on Sirius XM Radio.

Bell was one of radio's top syndicated voices in the 1990s before walking away from his nightly show in 2002 due to family issues. He worked occasionally after that but hasn't been on the air since Halloween 2010.

"I missed it terribly," said Bell, 68, whose weeknight show will air live from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. ET. Sirius is building a studio at Bell's rural Nevada home where he will work.

A Sirius representative contacted Bell through social media a few months ago, leading to the formation of his show, "Art Bell's Dark Matter." He'll talk about things like UFOs, ghosts, near-death experiences and weird aspects of science. He'll do interviews and take calls from viewers.

Scott Greenstein, Sirius XM president and chief content officer, said the show will be "uncensored, unrestricted, uncluttered and utterly unique."

"There's probably more interest in the genre now than when I did it," Bell said. "When I did it, I was damned near alone."

Bell was on some 500 radio stations nationwide and "quit when he was at the top of his game," said Michael Harrison, publisher of Talkers, a magazine that covers the radio industry.

Harrison said Bell's subject matter has roots in old-time radio, and he predicted it will become popular once again in the coming years.

"He'll be looked at as one of the veteran, old masters," Harrison said. "He's the real deal when it comes to marching to the beat of a different drummer."

There's also a potential rivalry with George Noory, who replaced Bell on the syndicated show. Bell isn't a fan, saying he considers Noory "not edgy enough." Noory's program is on later at night, so the two will not compete directly live.

No contract terms were divulged.

Bell said he's intrigued to learn the differences between satellite and terrestrial radio.

"It seems to me they are the next step in technology," he said. "I've always been a technological junkie. The mix of what they're giving me, the freedom that they're giving me, is priceless."

Chris R

Coast to Coast AM put me to sleep most nights as a little kid, seriously looking at subbing to SiriusXM for this if it doesn't cost too much!

So is this more Scooby Doo or Alex Jones?

Probably neither really...

Art is a master, and tackles many topics with ease. He is notorious for unscreened open lines. Coast to Coast tackled a bunch of strange topics but he is not even close to a nutbar like Jones.

He is into psuedoscience, the paranormal, UFOs, etc...

ToxicAdam

After listening to about 150 hours of Joe Rogan's podcast, I'm about tapped out on listening to dumb shit anymore.

I was actually pretty surprised Art Bell is only 68. He sounded like he was 68 fifteen years ago

whoa, and he's decent too!

he doesn't wanna bump wuth george noory (c2cam starts at 10p)

god dammit i need sirius or some 10 dollars a month to pay him directly

Kaladin

Just read about this. Such awesome news. I love this genre of talk show and he's the best. The reasons I subscribe to Sirius keep growing.

pfkas

Man I used to love listening to Coast to Coast. More for the science stuff (Michio Kaku etc) than the crazies.

Weetrick

seriously looking at subbing to SiriusXM for this if it doesn't cost too much!

I cancelled my $15/month subscription, telling them it was too expensive. They practically begged me to come back with promotions and discounts. I currently pay $4 a month, or about $1 a week. Well worth it IMO.

My advice: Call them and bargain. They are ripping you off at their regular price.

bengraven

I've always wanted to listen to his show. His radio show was one of the few things I loved about Prey. It would also be great to have something to pair with Mysterious Universe.

That said, I haven't been able to go back and listen to him in the years since I've known he exists because it always seems I need to pay to listen.

Are they going to do a podcast while they're at it?

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I used to listen to Art Bell a lot. But he started getting into aliens and ghosts a bit too much and I lost interest. I did like his open call in shows.

I've always wanted to listen to his show. His radio show was one of the few things I loved about Prey. It would also be great to have something to pair with Mysterious Universe.

That said, I haven't been able to go back and listen to him in the years since I've known he exists because it always seems I need to pay to listen.

Are they going to do a podcast while they're at it?

http://www.u7radio.org/

STREAMS 2 & 3
The Very Best Of Art Bell: 24/7 DAY AND NIGHT

Coast to Coast AM put me to sleep most nights as a little kid, seriously looking at subbing to SiriusXM for this if it doesn't cost too much!

They have a 30 day trial of their internet radio service, I'm pretty sure a radio isn't required. I've been waiting for the right reason to use it, this will be it.

Wow that's awesome. I remember listening to his show every night when I drove home after working a late shift back in 03.

I'll definitely be listening to this. I may need to sign up for their internet package though, I don't spend much time in my car any more.

Kaladin

For anyone that has never had satellite radio and are thinking of getting it for this....do it. It's like a smart phone in that you think "nah, I'll never have a use for one of those" till you've tried it and once you have one you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.

marrec

Banned
As someone who's completely skeptical about everything pseudoscientific and paranormal I'm very much looking forward to the crazy shit that Art Bell will facilitate.

LosDaddie

Banned
I cancelled my $15/month subscription, telling them it was too expensive. They practically begged me to come back with promotions and discounts. I currently pay $4 a month, or about $1 a week. Well worth it IMO.

My advice: Call them and bargain. They are ripping you off at their regular price.

I just renew my sub whenever Sirius sends me one of those $25 for 6mos deals.

jstripes

Banned
Won't be the same without the AM coverage. All the wackos who call in can't afford Sirius XM.

I used to listen years and years ago. I loved the show, and was impressed with how he managed to stay relatively neutral and thoughtful on a lot of subjects.

potam

Banned
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiet. My father used to put me to sleep when I was younger by listening to Coast to Coast at night with me. I'm not sure if I would be able to appreciate it now, but it did capture my young mind. The stuff was out there, but his guests could defend themselves well enough (again, I was ~10) to make it believable.

Willectro

Banned
Glad to see this, but SiriusXM is still a tough sell for me. And I'm a Howard Stern fan too. I might look into the internet based steaming option, which seems to be a bit cheaper (and I don't really need the satellite functionality).

Yawnier

Banned
Great news, George Noory I find isn't as bold and comes across as being more gullible of a radio host compared to Art Bell on Coast 2 Coast, who's in another whole league above George IMO.

Also, hopefully there is a Ghost to Ghost this year too.

ditto

seriously considering subscribing as well. Became a fan actually when playing through Prey of all things.

WorldStar

Banned
aint nobody got money for SiriusXM

plus I'm one of the few who enjoy George Snoory

not to mention it was kinda fucked up when Art Bell conned so many people into buying bullshit that he was selling during the Y2K fiasco

commedieu

Banned

Robbler

Banned
Great news, George Noory I find isn't as bold and comes across as being more gullible of a radio host compared to Art Bell on Coast 2 Coast, who's in another whole league above George IMO.

Also, hopefully there is a Ghost to Ghost this year too.

Bell can sniff out the bullshit callers. Some he humors and gets all sarcastic with, others he'd hang up on.

Noory will spend thirty minutes talking to someone who is calling in as a prank.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I much rather hollow earths and lizardmen than false flags and crisis actors, so I'm glad if only because this will suck some of the oxygen away from Alex Jones :p

Fou-Lu

Art Bell is pretty awesome to listen to, his voice soothes you to sleep, plus he is usually pretty damn neutral as a host and often asks 'hard' questions of his callers and guests. He's no where near the crazy of some of those other guys out there.

commedieu

Banned
Art Bell is pretty awesome to listen to, his voice soothes you to sleep, plus he is usually pretty damn neutral as a host and often asks 'hard' questions of his callers and guests. He's no where near the crazy of some of those other guys out there.

Thats what I like. He doesn't get toooo far into the deep end. Unless that Whitley guy shows up...

commedieu

Banned
Yeah, they're friends.

I don't know what to think of Whitley Streiber.

you dont say.... ;-) lol. Yeah, those two get pretty comfortable. I love it when you can tell they are both excited. I don't know if this is true... at work, can only hide gaf/dark.. but didn't they write Day after tomorrow...? Collaborate?

Oh man, the memories. Art Bell >>>>>>>>> George Noory. Listening to C2C now literally puts me to sleep. Art had more flaire and was just downright more interesting to listen to. Let alone his voice which is amazing.

I thought he quit due to health reasons, I'm glad he's doing well enough to consider returning to radio.

you dont say.... ;-) lol. Yeah, those two get pretty comfortable. I love it when you can tell they are both excited. I don't know if this is true... at work, can only hide gaf/dark.. but didn't they write Day after tomorrow...? Collaborate?
Yeah, I believe they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom