• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Art Bell leaves Sirius XM

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/04/art-bell-resigns-from-sirius-xm-radio_n_4215776.html

But since Bell's new program Sept. 16 premiere, there have been, according to Bell on his website, many problems with streaming his show.

"Many thousands of my listeners came on board when it began but they have fallen off because of that reason," Bell said. "It's a systemic problem. For a caller-driven show like this one, speaking only to people on cell phones in moving vehicles is somewhat difficult.

"The show also is being pirated, oh you have no idea. We are all over the Net right now, from YouTube to a server in England, for example, that's streaming the show live. And because of all this, I have asked SiriusXM to alter their normal method of doing business and allow free streaming for everybody from artbell.com.

"If we get the opportunity to do this streaming, we will kick some serious butt...If not, we may not have a viable situation going forward."

I enjoyed him on Coast to Coast AM. Maybe now he'll go back to public radio.

I hate George Noory.

I think George has good radio presence but, and I hate to say this, he's just not a very intelligent person. Not that I listen to him regularly but he doesn't ever seem to ask any challenging questions regardless of what crazy things is being told.

I find it to be an utter joke and completely unprofessional.

Whatever, I feel bad for the people that invested a lot more than me to listen to this bozo. Lost a lot of respect for him with this stunt.

I've never listened to his show, but it sounds like he has an issue with the way XM handles their subscriptions?
As in the fact that the majority of all subscribers only have an XM radio in their car, and therefore can only listen from their car. Which leads to a lot of dodgy and/or illegal cell phone call-ins while driving.
XM will allow you a second radio (for your house?) for a second subscription fee...(?)
XM would also let you stream your acct from an internet capable device for another additional fee of $3 a month, which I honestly think should be allowed with my subscription to XM for free, since I can only listen in my car or from my logged in account, it should be included.

So I agree, XM needs to alter their business model a little and allow at home streaming from your paid XM subscription as part of the subscription. It sucks to only be able to listen while on the road, or when within earshot of the car radio, unless I pay an additional fee to take advantage of my already paid subscription.

I don't know what he was expecting, and he just pissed off his most dedicated fans by doing this.

I think a lot of the big personalities that move to satellite radio take a hit to the ego when they realize that people who listened to them for free may not want to pay ~$15 a month to do so.

Yeah this stinks. I guess a few days ago (Nov 1st) he basically demanded Sirius offer free streaming on the web. I don't know why he agreed to do this show knowing that isn't how it works. Very disappointing, i really liked having the show back.

I have noticed him taking a lot of shots at C2C, which seemed unprofessional to me. This is probably a stunt to see if Sirius will cave in to a better contract.

Sucks for all his fans who bought radios and subscriptions just to listen to him :(
Seems a waste to just quit after like 7 weeks.

Yeah this stinks. I guess a few days ago (Nov 1st) he basically demanded Sirius offer free streaming on the web. I don't know why he agreed to do this show knowing that isn't how it works. Very disappointing, i really liked having the show back.

I have noticed him taking a lot of shots at C2C, which seemed unprofessional to me. This is probably a stunt to see if Sirius will cave in to a better contract.

Sucks for all his fans who bought radios and subscriptions just to listen to him :(
Seems a waste to just quit after like 7 weeks.

i wish we had the whole dirt between premier radio and him, sounds like they pulled a chickenshit move on him

I thought he was still cool with the C2C people. What gives?
He went into what happened on the first night of Dark Matter. But throughout the weeks he would make the odd veiled dig that got kind of tiresome.

I hate George Noory.
I find him annoying tbh, he seems to want to bring almost every show back to his pet theories about Sitchin and ancient aliens. I only tune in to C2C when Knapp is presenting, he seems to ground the show in evidence-based discussion. I like Wells' voice, but his shows quickly tumbled into ultra-patriotism and NWO fear-mongering rants every week.

Nuklear

Banned
This is like Bill Maher demanding HBO air his show for free. Over on Bellgab, 97% of the posters there are pretty pissed off at him. A lot of them invested a ton of money into radio's and paid for a full year of Internet streaming. The excuses Art is giving is just excuses so he can quit. He knew what he was getting into and decided to retire once again. The guy has ruined his legacy with his fans.

Art even deleted his facebook account people were so mad and I can't blame them.

I've never listened to his show, but it sounds like he has an issue with the way XM handles their subscriptions?
As in the fact that the majority of all subscribers only have an XM radio in their car, and therefore can only listen from their car. Which leads to a lot of dodgy and/or illegal cell phone call-ins while driving.
XM will allow you a second radio (for your house?) for a second subscription fee...(?)
XM would also let you stream your acct from an internet capable device for another additional fee of $3 a month, which I honestly think should be allowed with my subscription to XM for free, since I can only listen in my car or from my logged in account, it should be included.

So I agree, XM needs to alter their business model a little and allow at home streaming from your paid XM subscription as part of the subscription. It sucks to only be able to listen while on the road, or when within earshot of the car radio, unless I pay an additional fee to take advantage of my already paid subscription.

They do allow streaming. From home, desktop PCs, etc etc etc. As well, they provide a streaming app for smartphones and tablets. Art's issue was there was some people experience buffering and/or drop out issues and he thought he was so privileged that he could demand Sirius make an exception for him. Essentially, stream the show for free through his own platform (what that would be, I have no clue; it would be FAR worse considering his attempt at a website). Sirius knows that if this happened, they would essentially lose any subscriber who has the account for Art to drop, thus resulting in nothing. It would not benefit them at all.

Art should have known this is not how it works. He was on for a mere six weeks. He most likely bolted because he didn't want to build a new audience and expected every one of his old listener's to fork over money to listen to him. Many did, and now many that shelled out money (some spent hundreds) are fucked.

The guys is a joke at this point. Serial quitter.

smurfx

get some go again
he probably wants a new contract that lets him charge for the online stream on his site without giving anything to sirius xm.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I used to catch Art on weeknights when I was going home, seemed like he was always talking about something interesting, or listening to someone talk about wild things.

But I mostly associate him with Phil Hendrie's impression of Art on Coast 2 Coast.
I wish I could find the one he did where Phil specifically does a skit about him leaving the show and then coming back and then leaving again and then coming back.

He made so many digs about Coast To Coast over the past few weeks, it got a bit uncomfortable at times.
I read an article and was a bit surprised to see him talk smack about the show and Noory, even if he was right on those points. He said C2C has become too political and that Noory doesn't listen to his guests which he's right about. It did come off a bit arrogant from the article, although. He shouldn't have kept making those quips but I still have yet to hear previous shows of Dark Matter.

He went into what happened on the first night of Dark Matter. But throughout the weeks he would make the odd veiled dig that got kind of tiresome.

I find him annoying tbh, he seems to want to bring almost every show back to his pet theories about Sitchin and ancient aliens. I only tune in to C2C when Knapp is presenting, he seems to ground the show in evidence-based discussion. I like Wells' voice, but his shows quickly tumbled into ultra-patriotism and NWO fear-mongering rants every week.
George Knapp is the best. Wish he was able to just host the show 5 days a week.

They do allow streaming. From home, desktop PCs, etc etc etc. As well, they provide a streaming app for smartphones and tablets. Art's issue was there was some people experience buffering and/or drop out issues and he thought he was so privileged that he could demand Sirius make an exception for him. Essentially, stream the show for free through his own platform (what that would be, I have no clue; it would be FAR worse considering his attempt at a website). Sirius knows that if this happened, they would essentially lose any subscriber who has the account for Art to drop, thus resulting in nothing. It would not benefit them at all.

Actually I know that they offer streaming at home and internet capable devices, I said as much in my post. The problem is that they charge an additional fee ontop of your subscription to use that streaming option.
If they offered the streaming for free to subscribers, then this whole thing would be a non-issue.

And I'm assuming he is suggesting allowing him to stream his show for free from his website to XM subscribers, much like HBO Go does for people that subscribe to HBO through whatever cable company service they use.

Actually I know that they offer streaming at home and internet capable devices, I said as much in my post. The problem is that they charge an additional fee ontop of your subscription to use that streaming option.
If they offered the streaming for free to subscribers, then this whole thing would be a non-issue.

And I'm assuming he is suggesting allowing him to stream his show for free from his website to XM subscribers, much like HBO Go does for people that subscribe to HBO through whatever cable company service they use.

Ahh I see, misread it.

Actually no he wants it free so it can reach as many people as possible. SiriusXM account or not. That's the problem.

Ahh I see, misread it.

Actually no he wants it free so it can reach as many people as possible. SiriusXM account or not. That's the problem.

If that's the case then he should know that that is not how it will work.
If he was asking for what I assumed he was asking for, then that would make perfect sense and be perfectly reasonable, but what would be the point of being a subscriber to XM (if you signed up for him) if you could listen for free, and what motivation would XM have to finance his show if they weren't getting subscriptions out of it?

Maybe he should set up his own show free online if that's what he wants.

If he was asking for what I assumed he was asking for, then that would make perfect sense and be perfectly reasonable, but what would be the point of being a subscriber to XM (if you signed up for him) if you could listen for free, and what motivation would XM have to finance his show if they weren't getting subscriptions out of it?

Yea that's exactly the argument really. He knew what he was getting into, and there's an obvious reason Sirius said no to allowing him to stream the show for free. There's no incentive for them to do that, even if he managed to get a working system. I personally don't believe he could do that. At least, one that would rival the numbers/ratings he wants.

He's a ratings whore.

Darkmakaimura

That's what I'm trying to figure out. Why did he go with Sirius/XM in the first place? I'm guessing he's had issues with Premiere Radio which is the reason but they own all of free AM/FM radio stations? Anyhow, like you said, he should have just went with either regular radio broadcasting or live streaming.

Fake edit: Actually, I think he went with Sirius/XM but after people described technical issues when trying to listen to him, he wanted to give them a free year and they said, "no." Plus, all the pirating.

I give him the benefit of the doubt that he was concerned about the quality of the show being hampered. Not nearly as many people listening means not nearly as many people calling in means not nearly as much entertaining crazy.

jred2k

Not sure if its just coincidental timing, but I just got an email from SiriusXM asking me to take a survey of my service.

I'm actually surprised to see a lot of people apparently complaining about the streaming service. I used to have tons of problems with the app and website, but I haven't really had issues for almost a year or so now. Just the occasional problem with on demand shows.

Nuklear

Banned
The Android app is a bit clunky but it has never failed to work for me. I just started listening to SiriusXM again back in September though. The 90 minute timeout is a pain especially if you are listening to a talk show.

Maybe is was an issue with him not having control over this own show's archives. I wouldn't sign up for Sirius just for his show but if I could pay a few bucks to download this archives to listen as a podcast I would.

I could see how someone would be upset if he wasn't the owner of his own show/IP.

But then again, he should have known that when he signed on.

Blazeddc

I thought he left radio for good due to tinnitus? I also remember him saying he was going back to school to obtain his PhD. So many lies! Glad I don't listen to radio anymore..

Darkmakaimura

I thought he left radio for good due to tinnitus? I also remember him saying he was going back to school to obtain his PhD. So many lies! Glad I don't listen to radio anymore..
That's Ian Punett who had tinnitus, not Art Bell.

The Android app is a bit clunky but it has never failed to work for me. I just started listening to SiriusXM again back in September though. The 90 minute timeout is a pain especially if you are listening to a talk show.

Get this, supposedly Sirius fixed this, specifically at Art's request, to timeout after 4 hours.

bjork

I wish I could find the one he did where Phil specifically does a skit about him leaving the show and then coming back and then leaving again and then coming back.

I think he has tons of stuff archived on his site, but it's behind a paywall. If I spent more time actively listening to radio shows, I'd be on it. The first thing I'd pull up in Lloyd Bonafide talking about putting razors in apples for trick or treaters, that was hilarious.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
The less Art Bell the better.

Bolderdash!! I loved him on C2C. Ever since George Noory took over C2CAM has gone more to political news now. I WANT UFOS, BIGFEET, AND DEMONS, DAMNIT!!

I always look forward to hearing George Nash. He should've taken over the show.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
I think he has tons of stuff archived on his site, but it's behind a paywall. If I spent more time actively listening to radio shows, I'd be on it. The first thing I'd pull up in Lloyd Bonafide talking about putting razors in apples for trick or treaters, that was hilarious.

Yeah, that one was great. I like the one were he snaps the poodles neck. This is making me want to get a backstage pass again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom