• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famous Paranormal Radio Host Art Bell Dead at 72 RIP

RIP, he had such a great voice. His ghost to ghosts were great.

Just realized he died on Friday the 13th, kinda fitting i guess

Last edited:
He was a lifelong chain smoker, so I imagine he had heart disease. IIRC he talked about wanting a Houdini pulled with him after he died, so that will be interesting if it happens. RIP

He was one of the greatest interviewers ever - he could pull an interviewee in any direction he wanted, and when he tried he could unravel weaved bullshit with a single line. Granted, most of the time he just led interviews to appeal to the largest audience (*coughEdDamescough*), but he did throw a bunch of frauds off his show when their bullshit became too idiotic. Rather unlike the current main host of Coast to Coast, Snorey Noory.

There was the whole thing with him being responsible for the Heaven's Gate incident - he announced that a UFO was seen in Hale Bopp's tail, which led to the cult offing themselves so their souls could join the "mothership".

Last edited:
He was a lifelong chain smoker, so I imagine he had heart disease. IIRC he talked about wanting a Houdini pulled with him after he died, so that will be interesting if it happens. RIP

He was one of the greatest interviewers ever - he could pull an interviewee in any direction he wanted, and when he tried he could unravel weaved bullshit with a single line. Granted, most of the time he just led interviews to appeal to the largest audience (*coughEdDamescough*), but he did throw a bunch of frauds off his show when their bullshit became too idiotic. Rather unlike the current main host of Coast to Coast, Snorey Noory.

There was the whole thing with him being responsible for the Heaven's Gate incident - he announced that a UFO was seen in Hale Bopp's tail, which led to the cult offing themselves so their souls could join the "mothership".

Last night on Coast to Coast AM George was talking to someone that knew Art personally and talked to him the day before and he sounded good. So whatever happened was instant. Probably a heart attack or something.

-hal-

Wow... that's sad news. I'd given up hope long ago of him ever doing something long-term after he left his Coast to Coast the first time, though I enjoyed his brief stays on Sirius and on his own network.

There's just no one out there that quite matches the qualities about him that I liked:
- that killer radio voice
- his interest in every topic, indulging even the craziest stories;
- but stopping just short of endorsing whatever it was that was being said.

So many of his successors come across as a cheap copy of the original. RIP Art Bell, and best of luck in whatever world or dimension to which you move to next.

wondermega

RIP ! We used to listen to a whole bunch of Art Bell Coast to coast interviews when I worked at a few studios in the early 2000s. John Titor and Mel's Hole were the standouts for me (google them if you don't recognize, they are incredible). Suggest some more of your favorites..

Top Bottom