• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft is finally clarifying the situation regarding future Bethesda games

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Sony still is completely dominant. They've only ever lost 1 console race to Nintendo and have never lost to Microsoft.

depends what you call a loss? Going from massive market leader to just being level or a couple of million more the next gen is a loss from where they were.

if it wasn’t for being pushed so hard that gen then the PS4 probably wouldn’t of been as good as it was so it wasn’t a bad thing

Topher

Gold Member
Access plans?

if you look at the numbers they posting on user base for gamepass then this year unless there is a drip it will most certainly hit a billion

I believe he is referring to the All Access finance plan Microsoft offers that includes Game Pass.

Stuart360

Gold Member
depends what you call a loss? Going from massive market leader to just being level or a couple of million more the next gen is a loss from where they were.

if it wasn’t for being pushed so hard that gen then the PS4 probably wouldn’t of been as good as it was so it wasn’t a bad thing
The 360/PS3 gen should be classed as a draw imo, and its fanboying to argue otherwise. Yes PS3 is officially 3mil ahead of 360, but Microsoft stopped reporting sales numbers in 2014, so unless it stopped selling in the years after, its probably similar numbers to PS3, possibly even more.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
The 360/PS3 gen should be classed as a draw imo, and its fanboying to argue otherwise. Yes PS3 is officially 3mil ahead of 360, but Microsoft stopped reporting sales numbers in 2014, so unless it stopped selling in the years after, its probably similar numbers to PS3, possibly even more.

yeah but if going from overall market leader by a huge margin to going equal the next gen do you not think I Sony would of seen it as a loss themselves? Do not get me wrong they made amends last gen by a country mile

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah, I know it's going to be tiny but interested to see its growth. They slowly pushed it for the One X but its a bit more common now in the UK

Lack of stock has impacted that deal a good bit. Participating retailers have to submit a credit check before they can even start the transaction. Hard to do that when there are no consoles in stock.

yeah but if going from overall market leader by a huge margin to going equal the next gen do you not think I Sony would of seen it as a loss themselves? Do not get me wrong they made amends last gen by a country mile

Numbers wise, yeah it is a draw for all practical purposes. But going from total domination with the PS2 to tying for second with the PS3 isn't something I imagine Sony execs and stockholders think fondly of in retrospect.

Peeps can we not badmouth the games plz? I'm looking just as much forward to Kena, R&C and Returnal (and yes, I think they should be able to try selling it for $70) as I am Halo: Infinite, Starfield, Forza Horizon 5 (it's probably coming this year) and FS 2020 on console.

Some people really need to come to terms that vast majority of these Zenimax games aren't coming natively to PS5, but I don't see a point in list wars when both platforms have a decent bag of hype games coming even this year, let alone 2022 and beyond. Sony'll survive not having most Zenimax games on their platform, Microsoft'll survive not getting Horizon/GoW/GT7 etc. on Xbox.

At the very least these events make Microsoft a lot more competitive in the 1P front and for gamers who genuinely wanted more competition so these systems could push each other to do even better, it's a boon.

Andodalf

Banned

That revisionist history is the funniest thing. If you asked anybody in their board when the PS4 and X1 launched, they’d all say the same thing, clearly. 360 won, and comfortably

Topher

Gold Member
That revisionist history is the funniest thing. If you asked anybody in their board when the PS4 and X1 launched, they’d all say the same thing, clearly. 360 won, and comfortably

If we are talking about sales numbers then that simply isn't the case.

Season 9 No GIF by The Office

Hezekiah

Banned
As do I. I can build a pc as well. But the best part is I really don't care about this deal. Only games I've played from Zenimax were the first Wolfenstein and both EW. But watching the crow be served after all the trolling you guys did over this deal, has been quite a spectacle lol.
You don't care about this deal - yeah sure you're not invested in 'bragging' about it at all 😄.

I didn't do any trolling. All I said is that it will take Microsoft a hell of a long time to make its money back on this deal as it stands - which is why GamePass will get a price hike sooner rather than later.

A lot of you guys seem to think they are delivering these games cheaply to you out of the goodness of their heart. When in reality, they wouldn't be doing a subscription service if they didn't think they could extract more money out of gamers in the long-term.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
I know a lot of trash has been talked in relation to this acquisition, and I’m not defending any of that. I’m not saying anything is gospel, just responding to the question of why do some people think games might remain multi-platform. Doesn’t mean they’re right, but also doesn’t mean that the question is wrong either. The Mojang deal is a reasonable parallel, at face value it looked expensive but they’ve made it work by keeping it available to every platform known to man and milking the fuck out of it.

The fact of the matter is that that $7.5 billion IS a lot of money, MSFT IS a public company and you can still make reasonable assumptions about the economics of a deal.

We do not know that the Zenimax deal will pay for itself, it may not. It may be a spectacular failure. These things happen. It has happened to MSFT before.

And whilst we don’t now exactly what period MSFT expect a return on their specific investment in Zenimax we do know generally - from their annual financial statements - what they would typically expect and it’s 5-6 years for this type of investment, so yes this generation is probably the best guess.

We also don't know exactly what Zenimax's financials were pre-acquisition as they were a private company but we do know that the majority of the sales of their major recent titles were on PS - e.g. something in the order of 58% of Fallout 4 sales were on PS4. It IS an assumption, but not a wild one, that losing half your sales might be just enough to flip you into loss making territory.

Microsoft will do whatever they choose to do, they have that luxury, but if the numbers suck there will be consequences.
those consequences will never involve releasing First party exclusives on a rival platform like sony one is

Concern

You don't care about this deal - yeah sure you're not invested in 'bragging' about it at all 😄.

I didn't do any trolling. All I said is that it will take Microsoft a hell of a long time to make its money on this deal as it stands - which is why GamePass will get a price hike sooner rather than later.

A lot of you guys seem to think they are delivering these games cheaply to you out of the goodness of their heart. When in reality, they wouldn't be doing a subscription service if they didn't think they could extract more money out of gamers in the long-term.

I really don't. Never played Skyrim, the new Dooms, and I hate fallout lol. Im just here for the meltdowns. You guys were so sure it'd stay multiplat just a couple days ago. And now we're here.

I will probably give Doom a try tho but that's pretty much it.

Hezekiah

Banned
I really don't. Never played Skyrim, the new Dooms, and I hate fallout lol. Im just here for the meltdowns. You guys were so sure it'd stay multiplat just a couple days ago. And now we're here.

I will probably give Doom a try tho but that's pretty much it.
Point me to where I was really sure it was staying 'multiplatform' - or are you pulling this idea straight from your arse again??

And they're all on PC (poor little Riky Riky is triggered I own a gaming PC 😅) like I said above, so they are multiplatform. So if I did say that I guess I was right 😊.

Last edited:

Fredrik

N6ZJl7z.jpg
iPJyQMn.jpg
CAQIbKn.jpg
EUL3XsB.jpg

JHXJFyO.jpg

8700k CPU, 16GB CORSAIR RAM @3000mhz, Nvidia 1070ti GPU, Samsung 980 Pro 1tb SSD, Asus ROG Strix Helios case. Alienware 3420DW Monitor.

When I get my new card, if I decide to buy any of the non-buggy Bethesda games I'll be playing them with higher performance than you anyway 😂. GamePass is a no because a lot of them don't interest me, and I only have a finite amount of time for gaming.

Too many bitter Xboys on this thread like you. I think because they you've had little to no decent exclusives for so long, they're treating this deal as the second coming. Truth is, we need to see how Microsoft copes with these new studios, and hope they don't damage some of these franchises as they have with Gears and Halo.

EDIT: I even have an Xbox controller, so that should make you guys feel good about yourselves right?
Nice rig 👌 But you need to take care of that dust! 😷

But this just makes me wonder how many other PS fans have PCs, and why so many are concerned about the Xbox exclusivity.

Serious question to everyone with a PC, what Bethesda game would you rather play on console over PC?
I don’t get it, everything is better on PC, controls, performance, graphics, mods.

Why is a lost console version such a big deal here if people have PCs? Is there a ”Playstation gamers, do you have a gaming PC?” poll here? I want to see some stats!

Topher

Gold Member

But this just makes me wonder how many other PS fans have PCs, and why so many are concerned about the Xbox exclusivity.

Serious question to everyone with a PC, what Bethesda game would you rather play on console over PC?
I don’t get it, everything is better on PC, controls, performance, graphics, mods.

Why is a lost console version such a big deal here if people have PCs? Is there a ”Playstation gamers, do you have a gaming PC?” poll here? I want to see some stats!

Blake Shelton Nbc GIF by The Voice

PS gamer but I game primarily on PC. So no, the exclusivity news really doesn't matter. I think the last time I played a Bethesda game on anything other than PC was Skyrim on Xbox 360.

Hezekiah

Banned

I was gonna say when I posted it, my tiny desk needs some dusting!

FPSs are way better on PC - Keyboard and mouse, wider FOV (especially if you own an ultrawide), free online, and the games are cheaper! Owning a Series X is pointless if you have a gaming PC.

The reality is there are plenty of Playstation owners who don't have a PC aswell. However that mantra that gets repeated of 'Oh I thought every PS gamer owns a $4,000 PC' is beyond tiresome now, as is the constant bragging of five or six Xbox zealots in particular on every thread about this Bethesda deal.

Last edited:

MaulerX

It’s quite easy actually. You just send a URL via a ps message from, d.g the phone and the site opens. You can even pin it while gaming.

MS just updated their Edge browser on Xbox (insiders for now) to the Chromium version. You can now stream Google Stadia and Amazon Luna with it. You could not do this with the regular Edge browser we currently have.

Point is that you need a capable browser that supports and is compatible with these things. I highly doubt Sony will ever bother offering their customers a fully functional browser that is capable of handling these things. Specially now that you'll be able to access XCloud via the web. But will continue to offer the bearest of bones browser experience.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Point me to where I was really sure it was staying 'multiplatform' - or are you pulling this idea straight from your arse again??

And they're all on PC (poor little Riky Riky is triggered I own a gaming PC 😅) like I said above, so they are multiplatform. So if I did say that I guess I was right 😊.

doesn’t matter what you think of Riky or that you won’t get an Xbox they still getting your money

Topher

Gold Member
If you give one console 4 extra years, sure

You are suggesting that Xbox 360 sold well over 7.5 million units between 2013 and 2017? And you do realize Xbox 360 had a year head start, right?

And what four years are you referring to? Wasn't the last reported numbers of 80 million sold from Microsoft in October 2013? And didn't Microsoft discontinue 360 in April of 2016? That is 2 and a half years.

Last edited:

Concern

They'll be multiplatform like the ported ps exclusives. Still console exclusives tho. Makes no difference to me.

Hezekiah

Banned
doesn’t matter what you think of Riky or that you won’t get an Xbox they still getting your money
He's a dick and doesn't know what he's talking about half the time, one of the annoying Xboys along with Cat Lady, Monarch, Concern and Bernd Lauret. Xbox zealots posting LOLs on anyone's posts if they don't worship at the altar of Phil Spencer and GamePass.

Microsoft will get my money if I buy an MGS game. As you can see, currently I own Gears 4 and 5. The rest of my games are from Steam where they don't see a penny of my money. I might take a look at Perfect Dark and Indiana Jones, but these games are years off.

MacReady13

What I don't get is, why were people asking whether Bethesda games in the future would be multi platform? Were people asking if Insomniac games were going multi platform after Sony purchased them? Why would anyone expect Microsoft to be any different?

Fredrik

Blake Shelton Nbc GIF by The Voice

PS gamer but I game primarily on PC. So no, the exclusivity news really doesn't matter. I think the last time I played a Bethesda game on anything other than PC was Skyrim on Xbox 360.
Cool, that’s basically me too. I was maining PS but swapped to PC at the start of last gen when games yet again was normalized to 30fps, even racers with Driveclub. Pissed me off. Rage-purchased a PC for nearly $3000. Today I use PS consoles for exclusives only. Can’t wait for everything to come to PC. And I use Xboxes for retro and living room gaming since they sync with the PC. Switch for Zelda and Mario, it’s essentially the kids console now.

I’m still excited about the Xbox-Bethesda deal though since I love their games and I can only see positive things come out of it, bigger wallet and more shared knowledge and tech. It’ll benefits PC gamers just as much as Xbox gamers. The future looks bright! 👌

phil_t98

#SonyToo
He's a dick and doesn't know what he's talking about half the time, one of the annoying Xboys along with Cat Lady, Monarch, Concern and Bernd Lauret. Xbox zealots posting LOLs on anyone's posts if they don't worship at the altar of Phil Spencer and GamePass.

Microsoft will get my money if I buy an MGS game. As you can see, currently I own Gears 4 and 5. The rest of my games are from Steam where they don't see a penny of my money. I might take a look at Perfect Dark and Indiana Jones, but these games are years off.
Mate no need to insult people on here, if you don’t like somebody then don’t interact with them.

Andodalf

Banned
You are suggesting that Xbox 360 sold well over 7.5 million units between 2013 and 2017? And you do realize Xbox 360 had a year head start, right?

And what four years are you referring to? Wasn't the last reported numbers of 80 million sold from Microsoft in October 2013? And didn't Microsoft discontinue 360 in April of 2016? That is 2 and a half years.

You’re using VGchartz numbers, which are banned from GAF

DrAspirino

Banned

Do you use Windows 10?

Because if you do (which I'm most certain you do), Microsoft still sees money from you: your Windows license + all the juicy telemetry from the games and the OS itself.

Let's not kid ourselves: the moment we use Windows 10 (any version except for Enterprise), we give Microsoft our pennies, in one way or another.

Fredrik

I was gonna say when I posted it, my tiny desk needs some dusting!

FPSs are way better on PC - Keyboard and mouse, wider FOV (especially if you own an ultrawide), free online, and the games are cheaper! Owning a Series X is pointless if you have a gaming PC.

The reality is there are plenty of Playstation owners who don't have a PC aswell. However that mantra that gets repeated of 'Oh I thought every PS gamer owns a $4,000 PC' is beyond tiresome now, as is the constant bragging of five or six Xbox zealots in particular on every thread about this Bethesda deal.
Yeah but I mean it’s pretty much a meme at this point that Xbox isn’t needed since everything comes to PC, so people need to understand that it seems a bit odd that it’s suddenly a big deal when games are exclusive to Xbox AND PC. Everything is a result from previous talks.

Hezekiah

Banned
Do you use Windows 10?

Because if you do (which I'm most certain you do), Microsoft still sees money from you: your Windows license + all the juicy telemetry from the games and the OS itself.

Let's not kid ourselves: the moment we use Windows 10 (any version except for Enterprise), we give Microsoft our pennies, in one way or another.
What if it's a 'hot' version? 😁

SaucyJack

about what you wrote lol...

"Microsoft will do whatever they choose to do, they have that luxury, but if the numbers suck there will be consequences."

I know what you were responding to, what you wrote still doesn’t make any sense. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
not gonna happen, you don’t see any Sony game that’s not sold as well as it should going over to Xbox.

Why are you so obsessed with Sony's (past) strategy when we're talking about MS who are taking a far broader spectrum approach? Their positions in terms of marketshare and ambitions are not the same.

What about Nintendo? Zenimax developed for them too remember. And MS have allowed ports of their "exclusives" to them in the recent past.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Yeah but I mean it’s pretty much a meme at this point that Xbox isn’t needed since everything comes to PC, so people need to understand that it seems a bit odd that it’s suddenly a big deal when games are exclusive to Xbox AND PC. Everything is a result from previous talks.
Yeah I agree. I think the deal has just generated a lot of hype with a hardcore subset of the forum.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Why are you so obsessed with Sony's (past) strategy when we're talking about MS who are taking a far broader spectrum approach? Their positions in terms of marketshare and ambitions are not the same.

What about Nintendo? Zenimax developed for them too remember. And MS have allowed ports of their "exclusives" to them in the recent past.
Making the comparison about how the companies look at it, by putting your exclusive games on another console you weaken your own position for selling your own console

that’s where the comparison comes into it

Fredrik

Peeps can we not badmouth the games plz? I'm looking just as much forward to Kena, R&C and Returnal (and yes, I think they should be able to try selling it for $70) as I am Halo: Infinite, Starfield, Forza Horizon 5 (it's probably coming this year) and FS 2020 on console.

Some people really need to come to terms that vast majority of these Zenimax games aren't coming natively to PS5, but I don't see a point in list wars when both platforms have a decent bag of hype games coming even this year, let alone 2022 and beyond. Sony'll survive not having most Zenimax games on their platform, Microsoft'll survive not getting Horizon/GoW/GT7 etc. on Xbox.

At the very least these events make Microsoft a lot more competitive in the 1P front and for gamers who genuinely wanted more competition so these systems could push each other to do even better, it's a boon.
Perfect post! 👏👏👏

MonarchJT

Banned
The demise of Phil Spencer, cost cutting in Xbox Studios, that sort of thing. Now what the hell were you on about?
There have been months of nonsense about how Microsoft should have dealt with its exclusives and how a $ 7.5 billion investment would see a trillion dollar company forced to have to release its games on "rival" platforms I thought you were aiming that. sorry.
These have been hectic days

Last edited:
Top Bottom