• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 4 News : Retro Studios Hiring Storyboard Artist to Craft "Cinematic" and "Emotional" scenes

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It'll be good I'm sure, I just hope it can give me the same feelings as Prime 1 and 2 did back when I played them, which was a few years after release when I got a GC.

Fuck that Spiderball boss though lol. I'm fine with the difficulty of it, but the route you take to it meant you naturally hadn't saved in ages, that was the real kicker.

I think general consensus is that 1 is the best I just loved the power journey in 2, the first time I went to Dark Aether and stepped outside the forcefield and started losing health I ran back to it and wondered what to do, then I realised you have to take damage to move on. Taking less damage from the air and letting you explore more, then making it so you could make the forcefields hurt enemies and finally being immune and making the forcefields attractive to enemies was so freaking cool.
The bosses in Echoes were brutal. From the spiderball boss, to that giant fucking four-legged thing.

And I honestly can't believe I actually beat the final boss, the morphing one, not the dark-samus. Back when I first got to it, I told myself "I'm never gonna beat this". And I actually did. Very proud of myself for that. Heehee..

Last edited:

StormCell

lol @ every time Retro Studios adds more talent everyone laments that the game is still so far away.

Yeah, it probably won't release in 2021, but the game has already gotten 2 full years of planning and development since the reset. I don't think the game is necessarily far off because they're working on cinematic and emotional scenes, heh. Who is to say they don't have all the "levels" complete and playable while they work on tweaking the story and story scenes?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Why do "cinematic" and "emotional" remind me of Other M?

I would love this game to be as awesome as the first Metroid Prime but man, my hope is going away. That game didn´t have any of that emotional things and it was GOTF material.

Jeeves

Received a sobering email this morning:

ZFqM7e7.jpg

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Looking forward to the new cinematic and emotional scenes of Admiral Dane.

Also not looking forward to internal monologues about "muh baby metroid".

I'm just going on the assumption that these cinematics will be more actiony and not be voiced at all.

-----------------

I do agree I appreciate that Nintendo had the guts to say we fucked up and we are starting over a couple years ago. I very much prefer that transparency over the garbage a lot of other companies want to spew...which tend to be smoke and mirror shows.

I would think it shows they care about the franchise...then again they love to overshadow Metroid's anniversaries with the Zelda series soooo...

Last edited:

GeorgPrime

Banned
Wait... they're still in the storyboarding process?

iu

Also, I hope they stick to most story being told through the environment like in the original.

No they still looking for people who can start the storyboarding process. ;)

Samus will be a transgender asian now or?

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
Can't edit the post above anymore but oh transitioning boy here we go:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I honestly love the idea that <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Samus?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc^tfw">#Samus</a> is a trans woman. In my mind, she is and always will be. <a href="https://t.co/IiFTmRBhU2">https://t.co/IiFTmRBhU2</a></p>&mdash; Megan Fausti (@khoriander) <a href="">September 2, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></

maya-rudolph-no-icegif.gif

Keep this stuff OUT of Metroid, Nintendo.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Sammy the Tranny? WTF happened here? Is this just pulling random conversations from the web to show some made up trans agenda?

Actually, now that I think of it she is trans. I played Metroid on NES and did not think Samus was a SHE. When she stripped down to her bikini, the "guy" I played with for the last couple of days ( was it weeks?) turned into a girl. That is actually a clever way of looking at it. Samus was a trans to many of the kids who played Metroid without spoilers because we all assumed she was a badass dude.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Sammy the Tranny? WTF happened here? Is this just pulling random conversations from the web to show some made up trans agenda?

Actually, now that I think of it she is trans. I played Metroid on NES and did not think Samus was a SHE. When she stripped down to her bikini, the "guy" I played with for the last couple of days ( was it weeks?) turned into a girl. That is actually a clever way of looking at it. Samus was a trans to many of the kids who played Metroid without spoilers because we all assumed she was a badass dude.
I totally understand that, and I can see the logic. It's a little too edgy for Nintendo, I think.

There would be meltdowns, severe ones.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Growing up, all of my stupid friends who didn't read instruction manuals because WORDS ARE FOR PUSSIES all thought she was a robot.

But it's Nintendo, the most that will happen is we'll be introduced to Samus' long lost survivor of K-2L twin brother Samson and pick a gender at the start of the game, or whatever.

People are so quick to insert their identity politics into Nintendo games specifically because they've won the lottery of representation by way of not representing anyone. Random virtue signaling on Twitter aside, they have always made games with a void between player agency and storyline wide enough to self insert into these games for most people. Samus wears a helmet. Link doesn't speak. Etc, etc. Their most well established characters are essentially archetype templates and it provides the freedom to make assumptions about them. For better or worse, apparently.

Stouffers

Banned
I just beat Ridley in Metroid Zero Mission. I forgot how easy he is. I got the super missile early so I had 8 by Ridley. Took all of 10 seconds to take him down.

Woman7

Banned
It's funny though. After thinking this badass woman single handedly went through all that danger and horror saving that corner of the universe, we find out she was a man all along. Just now pretending/wanting to be a woman.

Step aside women in games, you weren't born a man so you have biological privilege(tm).

War Mother GIF by PENNYWORTH

Zannegan

Metroid Fusion disagrees.
Mildly controversial opinion warning: Metroid Fusion's storytelling was just Other M's with budget/platform constraints. So, no thank you to any more of that.

While I believe a middle-ground approach would be best, if I have to choose, I'll take a blank slate over Sakamoto cannon every time.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Metroid Fusion's storytelling was just Other M's with budget/platform constraints. So, no thank you to any more of that.
It's not a controversial opinion. It is just the wrong one. Fusion is much better written than Other M and doesn't have any of the logic/plot holes. Not to mention the build-up to the SA-X is incredible. They share similar elements, but Fusion has much more nuance than Other M.

The Metroid franchise has way too much unused potential to just ignore the story and storytelling. You can still explain the story in more depth through the environment while also having a bigger emphasis on cutscenes and dialogue. Just because Other M did it badly doesn't mean it can't be done the right way.

MagnesG

Banned
Mildly controversial opinion warning: Metroid Fusion's storytelling was just Other M's with budget/platform constraints. So, no thank you to any more of that.

While I believe a middle-ground approach would be best, if I have to choose, I'll take a blank slate over Sakamoto cannon every time.
Nah. It takes a little bit amount of storytelling to instill fear on the players for SA-X.

Zannegan

It's not a controversial opinion. It is just the wrong one. Fusion is much better written than Other M and doesn't have any of the logic/plot holes. Not to mention the build-up to the SA-X is incredible. They share similar elements, but Fusion has much more nuance than Other M.

The Metroid franchise has way too much unused potential to just ignore the story and storytelling. You can still explain the story in more depth through the environment while also having a bigger emphasis on cutscenes and dialogue. Just because Other M did it badly doesn't mean it can't be done the right way.
Eh, same writer, same inane internal monologues, same crappy retroactive cannon. You talk about all the storytelling potential for the series, but we've already seen the man's vision for Samus as a character, freed from the limitations of tech and budget, and it's not worth having.

But even if someone else were at the helm, I don't see what fleshing out her back story does for you. Metroid works best as a game about a badass bounty hunter on her own against stacked odds in a disturbing alien environment. Atmosphere and lore are communicated through organically exploring that environment. Badass moments are created through gameplay. Monologues, dialogues, and cutscenes aren't just unnecessary in that formula, they actively waste time and get in the way. You could have Stephen Spielberg and Ridley Scott in their primes collaborating on the cutscenes, and I'd still cut them (though I would totally watch that movie).

Sounds like our disagreement lies in our core idea of what Metroid is and should be. For me, Fusion was easily the weakest 2D metroid (post Super) because it was the most linear and exposition-heavy. Also for me, the perfect modern Metroid would be heavily inspired by something like Bloodborne (and stay the hell away from something like The Last of Us). Those opinions may be wrong, but I'm sticking them. =P

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
But even if someone else were at the helm, I don't see what fleshing out her back story does for you. Metroid works best as a game about a badass bounty hunter on her own against stacked odds in a disturbing alien environment. Atmosphere and lore are communicated through organically exploring that environment. Badass moments are created through gameplay. Monologues, dialogues, and cutscenes aren't just unnecessary in that formula, they actively waste time and get in the way. You could have Stephen Spielberg and Ridley Scott in their primes collaborating on the cutscenes, and I'd still cut them (though I would totally watch that movie).

Sounds like our disagreement lies in our core idea of what Metroid is and should be. For me, Fusion was easily the weakest 2D metroid (post Super) because it was the most linear and exposition-heavy. Also for me, the perfect modern Metroid would be heavily inspired by something like Bloodborne (and stay the hell away from something like The Last of Us). Those opinions may be wrong, but I'm sticking them. =P
I agree that Metroid is best in being an isolated experience and I don't crave for it becoming a cinematic walking sim at all, it's just that Metroid has so much potential. Space/Bounty Hunter/Powersuit/Space Pirates. It almost writes itself. A badass story about a bounty hunter with some well-made cutscenes and dialogue sprinkled in there for good measure is what I want on top of environmental clues and obviously the typical progression the series is known for. Something epic, something big, but also akin to what the series stands for. I enjoy the way Metroid Prime tells its story but in the end, it's really flat and only a shitty excuse to explore planets and fight the bad guys, which is fine, because the gameplay is great and all, but unlike Mario, where I give a flying fuck about a coherent story, with Metroid I always felt like it could be even better if a talented writer would get onto it.

Other M was the most mixed experience I ever had in a videogame. As a game, it's fine and the cutscenes looked beautiful but daaammn... I think they totally butchered Adam's character.

Top Bottom