• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex Retro Studios Devs Speak About Metroid Prime 4

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In a series of short interviews posted to the YouTube channel Kiwi Talkz, which specializes in interviews about Metroid Prime and Retro Studios, several former Retro developers shared their hopes for the highly anticipated sequel. Commenting on the core gameplay of the title, Metroid Prime Trilogy lead technical engineer Jack Mathews remarks that “I almost hope they don’t go for Metroid: Breath of the Wild,” stating his preference for detailed interior levels with dense geometry. Regarding the game’s multiple development delays, Mathews shares his belief that Metroid Prime 4 will be worth the wait due to Nintendo’s focus on releasing titles only when they’re truly ready.

Speaking about potential storylines for Metroid Prime 4, former Retro Studios senior producer Bryan Walker expressed hope that the game would reveal more about the ominous Galactic Federation that governs much of the Metroid universe. Echoing sentiments espoused by Jack Mathews earlier in the video, Metroid Prime Trilogy senior designer Mike Wikan appears briefly to share his belief that Retro Studios will do a great job with Metroid Prime 4 because “they understand what a Metroid game is.” Closing out the video are comments on potential audio design from Metroid Prime 1 and 2 audio lead Clark Wen. Referencing the work of composer Hildur Gudnadottir on HBO’s Chernobyl, Wen comments that he’d like to see a soundscape that blends the style of original Metroid composer Hirokazu Tanaka with ambient world noise.

Rykan

Can Nintendo stop GameFreak from releasing the game? What’s exactly is the relationship here?

AFAIK Nintendo owns some shares in GameFreak, but is not the owner.
I'm not sure what the relationship is exactly, but I think the state the latest pokemon game was in suggests that Nintendo has no influence on it whatsoever.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Im guessing they mean BotW’s art style, which I wouldn’t want to see in a Prime game. I want it as detailed as possible.

Also please don’t release it on Switch. I don’t want Prime 4 ruined after years of waiting, by Nintendo’s weak ass console.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Id buy gold and pay per view to be there for you
Not the answer I expected. Having said that:

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

jigglet

Banned
Can Nintendo stop GameFreak from releasing the game? What’s exactly is the relationship here?

AFAIK Nintendo owns some shares in GameFreak, but is not the owner.

Good. Pokemon, despite its horrid state, is only successful in spite of Nintendo's part ownership.

skit_data

Just make it Metroid Prime with better graphics and some new interesting equipment and maybe some sort of very light rpg mechanics (a la Doom 2016) and it will be absolutely great.

btw this channel is kinda good if you want to hear developers talk about work at Nintendo casually, without anyone watching over their shoulders. That doesn't happen often. Rareware people too. The channel owner seems a bit selfimportant though.

Last edited:

Skyfox

Just release it straight to steam deck Nintendo.

They never should have lied with that logo reveal. It was deception and I called it day one. They never had anything and with covid and garbage switch specs I'd say it's still cursed.

Least we got Dread (y)

[/URL]

In a series of short interviews posted to the YouTube channel Kiwi Talkz, which specializes in interviews about Metroid Prime and Retro Studios, several former Retro developers shared their hopes for the highly anticipated sequel. Commenting on the core gameplay of the title, Metroid Prime Trilogy lead technical engineer Jack Mathews remarks that “I almost hope they don’t go for Metroid: Breath of the Wild,” stating his preference for detailed interior levels with dense geometry. Regarding the game’s multiple development delays, Mathews shares his belief that Metroid Prime 4 will be worth the wait due to Nintendo’s focus on releasing titles only when they’re truly ready.

Speaking about potential storylines for Metroid Prime 4, former Retro Studios senior producer Bryan Walker expressed hope that the game would reveal more about the ominous Galactic Federation that governs much of the Metroid universe. Echoing sentiments espoused by Jack Mathews earlier in the video, Metroid Prime Trilogy senior designer Mike Wikan appears briefly to share his belief that Retro Studios will do a great job with Metroid Prime 4 because “they understand what a Metroid game is.” Closing out the video are comments on potential audio design from Metroid Prime 1 and 2 audio lead Clark Wen. Referencing the work of composer Hildur Gudnadottir on HBO’s Chernobyl, Wen comments that he’d like to see a soundscape that blends the style of original Metroid composer Hirokazu Tanaka with ambient world noise.

So to summarize... literally none of the people being interviewed have/ had any involvement at all with MP4, and therefore they know literally nothing that the rest of us don't. Honestly I'd change the thread title since this literally has no information in it whatsoever, beyond "well wishes" from former Retro devs.

Top Bottom