• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Metroid Prime 4 News : Retro Studios Hiring Storyboard Artist to Craft "Cinematic" and "Emotional" scenes

McRazzle

Jul 27, 2016
' A new job ad for a storyboard artist was recently posted by Metroid Prime 4 developer Retro Studios, and the “description of duties” section includes some rather interesting lines. Apparently, Retro Studios is looking for somebody who can “work with the cinematic lead to help maintain cinematic pillars,” “define emotional scenes that will resonate with audiences,” and “explore interesting and innovative scenes that elevate the narrative.” '

Article here:
https://wccftech.com/metroid-prime-4-cinematic-emotional-story/

DonJorginho

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
Kanye's Kitchen
Fuck me, we really are so far away from seeing this game aren't we?

jigglet

May 18, 2020
Wait... they're still in the storyboarding process?

Also, I hope they stick to most story being told through the environment like in the original.

Agreed, I don't even think the very best this industry has to offer is even that great (e.g. Naughty Dog), I shudder to think what a Nintendo attempt looks like. The original MP approach was perfect, stick to that.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2018
Fuck me, we really are so far away from seeing this game aren't we?
I'd rather they just take their time and make an entry that's actually innovative and a 10/10 game. I'm in no rush to play a mediocre FPS.

Also, lots of Nintendo games are made with gameplay design first. The last thing they focus on is story.

Last edited:

Zuzu

Jun 12, 2020
It might be good if they just release this for the next generation Switch. Metroid with DLSS 4k graphics would be sweet!

Reactions: Azelover

Spaceman292

Mar 11, 2019
I'd rather they just take their time and make an entry that's actually innovative and a 10/10 game. I'm in no rush to play a mediocre FPS.

Also, lots of Nintendo games are made with gameplay design first. The last thing they focus on is story.
There's still a limit I think. Seems like four years is plenty of time to make a good game, even an ambitious one. If it keeps getting stretched out it could signify a troubled development.

Papacheeks

Jan 30, 2013
Watertown, NY
This should not surprise anyone, when it comes to Nintendo's pace for output. Look at their release schedule for 2020. If you bought a switch this year your playing indies, and a few nintendo first party.

I bought a switch a couple years ago with the hopes of Metroid prime trilogy and Prime 4 coming out within a year or so. It never happened, so I sold it.

And not theres talks of a Pro style switch.

Nintendo seems to have not had things ready to go when they launched. As in developers all under one roof, and tools built for developers to make 3DS games for switch.

Now it seems they dont have enough developers internally to keep up with the demand of their platform.

Which sucks when you look at the 3DS releases.

Retro is still in concept mode, so we are minimum 3-4 years away.

• Strength

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2018
We need to know her mass as well so we can know if she can be scientifically classed as a "mass of ass".
Paging S Sybb

Naked Lunch

Oct 17, 2011
Too bad Metroid doesnt need to be cinematic or emotional.

There's a disconnect with this series for me going from 1, 2, super, fusion, zero (which are equally legendary) - to all the others. Very similar to, say, the Silent Hill series (1-3 vs the rest).

Claus Grimhildyr

Vincit qui se vincit
Jan 30, 2018
Too bad Metroid doesnt need to be cinematic or emotional.

There's a disconnect with this series for me going from 1, 2, super, fusion, zero (which are equally legendary) - to all the others. Very similar to, say, the Silent Hill series (1-3 vs the rest).

Yet there were emotional moments in most of those "legendary" parts of the franchise. Also SH4 is fantastic. Not as good as 1-3, but still a top tier horror game.

butane bob

Jun 2, 2020
RIP Metroid series.
I hope they don't forget to hire some level designers and gameplay/mechanics programmers along with all these "emotional narrative cinematic" people.

Reactions: namekuseijin
Aug 11, 2019
Sounds like the game is still AT LEAST a couple years out.

Shitty. I'm expecting Nintendo to fill the gap with MP Trilogy and probably another remake

• Empathy