• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro Exodus |OT| Epic Game!

scalman

Because game is very linear thats why. I compare it to fc5 in some ways but its no comparison really. All scenes that want to show more open areas just falls flat on face on how small they are and how linear all is.

Stuart360

Struggling to finish watching a playthrough of this. I'm getting real RDR2 vibes with this, brilliantly made, gorgeous looking, but very slow and quite boring.

Last edited:

scalman

Dont thin its boring because here is no big world no big levels nowhere to get bored really.
Its not that great looking though. Some places nice sure but some details just missing or low res and you can see them . after fc5 level of detail this looks not so good. And dead bodies not so detailed as re2 dead bodies.

Last edited:

cars_on_Mars

Neo Member
I am happy I haven't bought it before reading some reviews. I am not the fan of the series, and the game turned to be not the same I really expected. It's ok, but I'd rather buy another one.

ebevan91

Finished the game this morning.

That final level was something else.

Got the bad ending lol but it was such a great mission. Felt like the old Metro games we’re used to.

TrainedRage

Banned
This game is amazing. I like it way better than the other Metro games. There have been so many cool moments. Great job to the devs that created this. And for a game like this to come out at 49$ is nice.

Finished the game and i loved it. It's flawed. It's janky. But it has a heart.

It's not as stalker-ish as i'd hope. Later levels are a lot more linear.
Controller aiming is garbage.
English dubbing is terrible. I tried using russian voices but relying completely on subtitles is ass. I shot an innocent guy because i couldn't understand what was going on.

bati

I just rage uninstalled because of the idiotic autosave system (was playing on Ranger HC so no quicksave). The game autosaved me on a boat with the map in my hand, with one of those fucking swamp fish shooting a projectile from somewhere behind me. And because of the m-m-m-muh immersive animations I literally cannot do anything before I get oneshot.

v0mitg0d

Since I mad a fool of myself trying to find the
3rd gas can to power the generator to open the security doors
so I decided to throw together a complete guide for my fellow gamers lol. Also, there's a
bomb trap at the end?

How did I miss this one for like 20 minutes I'll never know. :(

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Because game is very linear thats why. I compare it to fc5 in some ways but its no comparison really. All scenes that want to show more open areas just falls flat on face on how small they are and how linear all is.
I thought the desert felt pretty large. I really regretted leaving the car behind at one point and legging it from place to place. But otherwise I like it and don't think it falls flat. It feels closer to the previous games than I expected and I'm fine with that, I liked them and I like Exodus so far.

I just rage uninstalled because of the idiotic autosave system (was playing on Ranger HC so no quicksave). The game autosaved me on a boat with the map in my hand, with one of those fucking swamp fish shooting a projectile from somewhere behind me. And because of the m-m-m-muh immersive animations I literally cannot do anything before I get oneshot.
Press F5 (edit: not F5, I forgot I reconfigured the controls, whatever you have set quicksave/quickload to yourself then) to load your last quicksave, hopefully not too far behind the last autosave (and I think if your last quicksave was in a previous chapter rather than the current it won't load either, I guess autosaves after a chapter's end supercede the quicksave). They definitely need to have a "load game" menu item and at least 5 recent autosaves/quicksaves to select from.

Last edited:

bati

I thought the desert felt pretty large. I really regretted leaving the car behind at one point and legging it from place to place. But otherwise I like it and don't think it falls flat. It feels closer to the previous games than I expected and I'm fine with that, I liked them and I like Exodus so far.

Press F5 (edit: not F5, I forgot I reconfigured the controls, whatever you have set quicksave/quickload to yourself then) to load your last quicksave, hopefully not too far behind the last autosave (and I think if your last quicksave was in a previous chapter rather than the current it won't load either, I guess autosaves after a chapter's end supercede the quicksave). They definitely need to have a "load game" menu item and at least 5 recent autosaves/quicksaves to select from.

There is no quick save on Ranger Hardcore.

bati

Sorry, missed that bit :messenger_dizzy:

No worries. Managed to salvage my save through sheer luck (the projectile missed me somehow). I still think that Ranger HC is the best difficulty to play on because it makes resources really matter. And you can't just roll back a combat encounter if it goes bad. It feels like playing Iroman but you don't lose hours of progress every time you die (which is a lot on this difficulty lol).

I'm actually looking forward to getting a crossbow because it will do wonders for my ammo economy. Even if you're careful when aiming it's easy to burn through your ammo supply if a couple mutants rush you and you have no room or time to throw a molotov. With crossbows on the other hand you can retrieve the arrows after you shoot them.

bati

Question for those who have finished the game or are further into the story than beginning - does it make sense to swap same base model of weapon for another of same type? Because the cleaning costs are insane, but from what I can tell most of the stuff that has to be cleaned are the attachments. Would love a confirmation.

Alexios

I don't play in hardcore mode but every time I got an attachment it was dirty af early on so I never tried it again and just avoided getting my stuff dirty as I could since. No idea if there are clean attachments to find in the wild. Given that I never tried to see if the base model found was cleaner...

Last edited:

bati

I don't play in hardcore mode but every time I got an attachment it was dirty af early on so I never tried it again and just avoided getting my stuff dirty as I could since. No idea if there are clean attachments to find in the wild.

Well even if I fully clean a gun it will get dirty super fast, especially if you fall into water with it. Maybe this will be less of a problem on next level, but on Volga level the trips underwater are quite frequent if you want to explore everything.

Alexios

Yeah I was getting the hang of it during that area and got to that conclusion and avoided getting them dirty since. There's no water trips in the next area (but other dirtying dangers exist).

And of course after they do get dirty you have to try and make do until you progress rather than clean them as soon as possible only to dirty up again 5 minutes later, to save resources...

Last edited:

v0mitg0d

well heck, I hit the Stepan bug with his guitar (where he won't prompt to accept it), but I accidentally figured out how to trigger it to work. threw it into a video in case anyone else hits the same bug.

Mjordan23

Neo Member
Loving Exodus so far. Just at the Volga level yet, but man this game is tense and atmospheric. Getting that Prey intensity-feeling, awesome stuff. Without aim assists you really have to focus and consider every move wich adds to the tension., and getting your weapons customized to your liking is essential.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I have the Epic PC version and it's maddening how buggy it can be at times. Randomly minimizes to the desktop (this is fucking annoying), sometimes freezes and I can't Alt-Tab out of it, DSR can give strange results.

I have no issues with the Epic launcher, but I do hate that there are not yet achievements. Achievements were a good fun way to track progression and get a feel if I was doing something in an area.

Bullitus

I’ve encountered a game breaking bug. In
Dead City
you need to row a boat through some tunnels. First time everything worked just fine but I ended up dying. Reloaded and the boat won’t move. It turns but won’t go forward. I’ve tried everything, clearing cache, restarting chapter etc.

Waiting for a patch before even thinking about touching this buggy mess again. On XB1X btw.

bati

This game's/series's reliance on scripted sequences is driving me up the wall. Had an encounter with the sniper in Caspian level last night and the game decided to completely abandon its internal runes to get this little bit of storytelling down the player's throat.

As if it wasn't bad enough that you have to roleplay as Mother Teresa if you want the good ending, the AI doesn't seem to revert to its neutral state no matter how much time has passed, which forced me to kill the clowns that were camping under the crane where the sniper was hiding. And after this whole ordeal the ambush party arrived with the van from the beach and they somehow instantly knew where I was and even managed to kill me through thick plates of steel, even though I wasn't even in the line of sight when they came!!

Honestly, fuck this game.

This game's/series's reliance on scripted sequences is driving me up the wall. Had an encounter with the sniper in Caspian level last night and the game decided to completely abandon its internal runes to get this little bit of storytelling down the player's throat.

As if it wasn't bad enough that you have to roleplay as Mother Teresa if you want the good ending, the AI doesn't seem to revert to its neutral state no matter how much time has passed, which forced me to kill the clowns that were camping under the crane where the sniper was hiding. And after this whole ordeal the ambush party arrived with the van from the beach and they somehow instantly knew where I was and even managed to kill me through thick plates of steel, even though I wasn't even in the line of sight when they came!!

Honestly, fuck this game.
You can kill a ton of people and still get the good ending. As a general rule, if someone is shooting at you, you can shoot back with no consequences.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished Metro Exodus. Got the bad ending but I was expecting that. Approximately 42 hours of play time from start to finish. Visuals - 10/10, Audio - 7.0/10, Gameplay - 9.0/10, Story/Characters - 10/10. Overall - 9.0/10. Simply, an excellent game and second best game thus far of 2019 only behind REmake2.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Game is a giant pile of crap at times, quite good at other times. Point is, it’s wildly inconsistent — the aiming and movement are fucking atrocious. Seriously — with all the detail and care that went into the visuals and some of the environmental design, it’s astonishing that shooting feels like hot garbage.

That, and other glaring technical issues (like enemies detecting you through a solid wall and then SHOOTING YOU THROUGH A SOLID WALL) really mar the experience.

This game really feels like these guys spread themselves too thin — with a 6 year development cycle, this should’ve been a way, way better game.

Game is a giant pile of crap at times, quite good at other times. Point is, it’s wildly inconsistent — the aiming and movement are fucking atrocious. Seriously — with all the detail and care that went into the visuals and some of the environmental design, it’s astonishing that shooting feels like hot garbage.

That, and other glaring technical issues (like enemies detecting you through a solid wall and then SHOOTING YOU THROUGH A SOLID WALL) really mar the experience.

This game really feels like these guys spread themselves too thin — with a 6 year development cycle, this should’ve been a way, way better game.
Console?

Has to be. Controls are tight and crisp on PC so ANY complaints about them I attribute to console/controller. Which sucks that it's a common complaint as the game is simply incredible and I can imagine being very frustrated if I couldn't do what I wanted because of the controls.

plushyp

I have all 3 games on PC. I played about 5 hours into the first one, however, from the go, Exodus is miles better.
I really should play them in order but let's see how much discipline I have...
Metro 1-2-3 are very different games from each other. I personally liked the first one the best and haven't been a fan of the cinematic direction it took from part 2 onward.

bati

I really want to say that this is the case but the consistency of animations, storytelling approach, gameplay design, audio mix, (terrible) voice acting, scripted sequences and other aspects that directly affect the player is uncanny across all three titles. What we got is clearly a conscious design decision, for better or worse.

scalman

more i played it more i liked it . better then previous games with more open areas in some places and those side missions is good thing helps to play it much longer. using ps4 controller on pc, it works fine not as accurate but i lowered difficulty to it be more pleasant.
like those hairworks with nvidia gpu makes those monsters lots cooler with all those hairs sticking on them.

Last edited:
Just finished Metro Exodus. Got the bad ending but I was expecting that. Approximately 42 hours of play time from start to finish. Visuals - 10/10, Audio - 7.0/10, Gameplay - 9.0/10, Story/Characters - 10/10. Overall - 9.0/10. Simply, an excellent game and second best game thus far of 2019 only behind REmake2.

You just sold me on buying it today, Daniel. Was gonna wait but I’ve hit a wall with a Anthem and can play through this before DMC5 (probably) and Division 2 (definitely)

scalman

and then someone else plays it and finds many bad stuff there, so it depends really... plenty stuff to be picky about if you want to. but then as adventure its good game, but not that good to keep me from division 2 beta.

and then someone else plays it and finds many bad stuff there, so it depends really... plenty stuff to be picky about if you want to. but then as adventure its good game, but not that good to keep me from division 2 beta.

I overplayed the first Divison’s beta. I don’t want to overdue it again, trying it go in fresh as possible.

Just my take, not saying anyone else should feel same

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I am enjoying the PC version, but I didn't realize how badly the lack of achievements in the epic launcher is hurting the gameplay for me. Achievements have always provided a roadmap of things to look for.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
You just sold me on buying it today, Daniel. Was gonna wait but I’ve hit a wall with a Anthem and can play through this before DMC5 (probably) and Division 2 (definitely)

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. I had a few minor nitpicks and a few minor disappointments but none of it was enough for me to lower my score. I will say this though - while the gameplay for me was a 9/10, Artyon is slow and has weight to him especially since he's carrying so much stuff.

No interest in Anthem since im a single player gamer and I know Anthem doesn't really cater to me in that regard. I have DMC 5 pre-ordered and will be picking it up Thursday night. Played and enjoyed 11 hours (almost straight) of the open beta for The Division 2 and it was already a day one pickup.

Stuart360

I think i will carry on with the game, after rading some of your thoughts. I pretty much gave up half way through the first open world area. The game was just too slow and clunky, with constant mini cutscenes whenever you do anything. It feels very old school in design. And the game could push Tarantino for thre amount of pointless dialogue in the game!. The AI though, well it has to be the worst i have experienced since the PS2 gen, i am honestly shocked that more people are not moaning about the AI, its completely braindead, to the point that it pulls you out of the game.
I have had much more fun with Far Cry New Dawn, which imo does the story based FPS style much more modern and seamless.
I'll go back to Metro though, i really liked the first 2 Metro's, and i suppose i should give this game a proper shot before passing judgement.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So far I like the game, but I do feel that each large area wears out it's welcome pretty quickly. It would have been better if the game had adopted a fast travel system. At least one that allows you to easily go back to your train. So far the loss of gold bullets is noticeable.

On another note, I am about ready to quit the game, because I am just so fucking sick of the random minimization to the desktop. Just playing the game and then out of nowhere, it just goes to the desktop for no apparent reason.

Last edited:
I've never experienced that. Only experienced one crash, after I quit the game and was trying to go back to desktop. Stupid, but you're not hitting the windows key, are you?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
I think i will carry on with the game, after rading some of your thoughts. I pretty much gave up half way through the first open world area. The game was just too slow and clunky, with constant mini cutscenes whenever you do anything. It feels very old school in design. And the game could push Tarantino for thre amount of pointless dialogue in the game!. The AI though, well it has to be the worst i have experienced since the PS2 gen, i am honestly shocked that more people are not moaning about the AI, its completely braindead, to the point that it pulls you out of the game.
I have had much more fun with Far Cry New Dawn, which imo does the story based FPS style much more modern and seamless.
I'll go back to Metro though, i really liked the first 2 Metro's, and i suppose i should give this game a proper shot before passing judgement.

The swamp region is the second best in my opinion because of the atmosphere of it. Forest region is the best but smallest and the desert was third out of the three. The linear corridor segments in between open regions are great in my opinion. The story, characters, narrative is excellent. Voice acting is top notch. Yes, it's a slow game but meant to be more realistic as opposed to say Far Cry which is completely arcade like. I beat New Dawn before metro in like 30 hours and yeah, I can see where it's more "fun" than Metro Exodus but New Dawn isn't meant to be taken seriously. I rated it an 8/10 which is probably overrating it but he visuals and gameplay carried it for me. Story was a 7 at best. hated the sisters as they're horrible.

While Exodus also has a silent protagonist, everything story, character, narrative and writing wise is so strong that it can carry that negative but in the last two Far Cry games, it's horrible. Too much of a joke/circus story in my opinion. The character creation makes it even worse. Of course, I have Far Cry 4 > Primal > Far Cry 3 > Blood Dragon ranked ahead of New Dawn and Far Cry 5 respectively.

While playing New Dawn, I honestly just wanted to wrap it up and get to Metro Exodus simply because I knew it was the better game and it is. I understand people's complaints with it and to be honest, the first two regions should have been more like the third which is smaller and more condensed. It simply fits better. But with that said, so much of the game itself is so strong that the few negatives I had were far outweighed by the positives.

As far enemy AI, well, im not good in FPS and I played 2033 and Last light on normal and got my ass kicked so I played Exodus on easy as I didn't want to get aggravated and frustrated with all the enemies being bullet sponges which they are at times on easy unless you get a direct headshot or two. AI wise though, yeah some of it was dumb but other times, enemies would snipe me, flank me or just flat out rush me. Monster/creature wise, they were more just straight on coming after me and if you get a few of them at once, they can definitely take you down.

Even on easy, I still had a challenge and died a good amount of times but in fairness, im nowhere near as good in first person games as I am in third person games. Overall though, outside of a few exceptions here and there, I didn't have much of an issue with the enemy AI. If anything, they were smarter and more aggressive than I was expecting since I played on easy.

Far Cry New Dawn is definitely more seamless but outside of one character which I won't mention, I didn't give two shits about my "fake" character or any other character in the entire game. It was just so blah to me. Really wish Ubisoft would go back to what made Far Cry 4/Primal/3 great which is a preset character (just have to make the protagonist better background wise and whatnot), the hunting, skinning of animals, crafting, etc. And most of all, better antagonist that's fully developed and that you can converse in.

I would say to stick with Exodus and at the very least, just play through the story objectives and ignore the exploration if the aspect of more open areas is a negative to you.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Does anybody playing this game have any fucking clue on how to prevent the game from minimizing to the desktop? Man this shit is pissing me off. Im playing and it just randomly out of nowhere minimizes to the desktop.

Also how in the fuck are you supposed to repair a broken gas mask? It does say anywhere eventhough I know you can do it.

Does anybody playing this game have any fucking clue on how to prevent the game from minimizing to the desktop? Man this shit is pissing me off. Im playing and it just randomly out of nowhere minimizes to the desktop.

Also how in the fuck are you supposed to repair a broken gas mask? It does say anywhere eventhough I know you can do it.
You do it at a workbench. Select your gas mask and hold 'F' (I think) to repair it.

Top Bottom