• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro Exodus |OT| Epic Game!

Starfield

metro-exodus-cover-800x450.jpg

Metro Exodus

Developer: 4A Games

Publisher: Deep Silver

Release Date: February 15, 2019

Platforms: PC, PS4, and Xbox One

Metro Exodus is an epic, story-driven first person shooter from 4A Games that blends deadly combat and stealth with exploration and survival horror in one of the most immersive game worlds ever created.

https://www.metrothegame.com

This is the best single player experience I've had in a long time. So many details, so much to explore, best graphics ive ever seen. Right now its definitely GOTY.

Edit: Added picture for people who can't read.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Game is about post-apocalyptic Russia.

No, seriously....why is there no OT for this game??

This is the best single player experience I've had in a long time. So many details, so much to explore, best graphics ive ever seen. Right now its definitely GOTY.

I mean, you could make an OT and make it better than... that.

Calibos

After the 1st hour I was like”OK”...then another 15 minutes later I was like “oh hell yeah!” The set-piece that gets you into the game proper is fantastic.

This game is completely scratching my Fallout/Half Life itch. Great graphics, great narrative and an amazing open-world ish feel. The first time I was in the first open hub world, I couldn’t even follow the story right away, I had to just explore...can’t wait to get back in.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I've got it pre-loaded on XBO, so I'm excited to start it. I had such a great time with Last Light and 2033 Redux comes with Exodus on XBO.

Edit: Awesome job adding the photo.

You can also buy the books.

Last edited:

Nydus

Gold Member
Dolby Atmos seems broken on pc :( or is it just with a real setup and not the windows 10 app?

edit: it fixed itself after i walked away and took a dump...this game is strange...

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I've been looking forward to this game. Glad to hear you guys are liking it, Meta scores look decent and great to hear Metro 2033 is included on the Xbox version.

Starfield

I'm playing since 6 hours already (or more, I lost all sense for time) and stlll can't believe just how much bigger and better this game is than Metro Last Light and 2033.

There's just so many little details to find, I'm still at Volga. I don't wanna rush through the story the first time, I really wanna explore the map(s) and see whats out there.

All the little interactions with the world are just so amazing.

Shifty

Added picture for people who can't read.
Insulting your audience, solid start :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Now how about the platforms, release date, official description blurb, screenshots, and everything else typically expected of a thread brave enough to bear the |OT| tag?

Fuz

Banned
𝒞𝑒𝒸𝒾 𝓃'𝑒𝓈𝓉 𝓅𝒶𝓈 𝓊𝓃𝑒 𝒪𝒯.

Last edited:

Banned
Played very briefly when I got home today, looking forward to a nice long session tomorrow. Feels like Metro. No huge complaints, but I don't like the compass thingy on the wrist.

Starfield

So after playing almost 12 hours straight I believe I'm halfway through the game now, alltough that is just an assumption on my part. This is the best Metro game so far.

Banned
I was a little worried in the opening section. THAT was some sloooooow walking. I wonder why?

Sentenza

I played it a bit today after having it preordered on Steam (I usually never preorder, but you can probably guess why I did it this time) and then asked for my first refund ever on the platform.
To be honest it hasn't really been a suffered decision. I went through the first hour of the game and I wasn't really feeling it.

Probably my mistake in the first place, since I never loved the previous ones that much and I (wrongly) expected this to improve in all these things I didn't like in the past.
Turned out I was wrong and it felt really similar to the old titles: clumsy controls, underwhelming gunplay, dull AI and a lot of overly linear sections with scripted sequences and exposition every few minutes.

I was almost tempted to stick with it and go on, but I watched a bunch of review and basically all of them hammered over and over how the three new "large areas" are more an exception than the rule to the overall pacing of the game, and it tends to progress rather linearly most of the times.
Of course, most reviewers somehow insisted that "it's a very good thing and keeps the story focused". Too bad that personally it's something I never liked much about the series and this definitely isn't the "break from the past" I was expecting and hoping for.

I just wasn't having fun with it.

Last edited:

Banned
I'd also like to add that their dynamic theme blows. Firewatch has spoiled me, I guess.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I immediately have dejavu from Last Light when you get to the escalator. The beginning was a cool icebreaker into the world. The whole first hour feels like a foreboding to something else. I want to get past the trailing into doors, hangers, vents, so the meat and bones of the game shine out.

I can see some people feeling a bit frustrated by playing such parts, but it doesn't stay there. It welcomes you back in a way and then zips you off. I haven't played an actual campaign FPS since WWII/Wolfenstein II IIRC. There haven't been a lot of them out lately.

I'd say stick with it because that first hour ends as fast at it begins.

I immediately have dejavu from Last Light when you get to the escalator. The beginning was a cool icebreaker into the world. The whole first hour feels like a foreboding to something else. I want to get past the trailing into doors, hangers, vents, so the meat and bones of the game shine out.

I can see some people feeling a bit frustrated by playing such parts, but it doesn't stay there. It welcomes you back in a way and then zips you off. I haven't played an actual campaign FPS since WWII/Wolfenstein II IIRC. There haven't been a lot of them out lately.

I'd say stick with it because that first hour ends as fast at it begins.

Speaking of which, did Last Light and Anna
and Artyom having a child
basically get retconned?

brian0057

Banned
Speaking of which, did Last Light and Anna
and Artyom having a child
basically get retconned?

I mean, the good ending doesn't show it so you could make the argument that in that version of the story, it didn't happen.
The bad ending is the one that shows that, though.

Last edited:

kingbean

I'm digging this a great deal on PC. Don't have a frame counter so I can't really say how well its performing but I do know its tanking when I get near volumetric smoke and fog.

HotPocket69

Banned
I only ever played a bit of 2033 Redux but I liked it a lot.

This game is fantastic. It reminds me a lot of Wolfenstein New Order. The stealth kills are super satisfying and I love the lack of a HUD and the fact that item pickups don’t flicker a la BioShock or Far Cry. You gotta keep your eyes peeled for goodies which feels so good every time you find them considering this is very much a survival game.

Also it looks fucking incredible. It has a bit of that eurojank but whatever. PS4Pro here.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
So after playing almost 12 hours straight I believe I'm halfway through the game now, alltough that is just an assumption on my part. This is the best Metro game so far.
Honestly? Even putting the recent backlash that I've participated in aside. That doesn't seem like a hard metric to beat. Metro 2033/Last Light have been shadows of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. They haven't been BAD games in the slightest but STALKER let you do more with less and came with their own jank as a result. Exodus looks like it's found that middle ground that I feel I would love, but I just can't bring myself to committing to an EPIC launcher when I've played all the games on STEAM and don't trust Epic in the slightest. I WANT to play Exodus, but I don't want to play it bad enough because Last Light and 2033 set enough of a precedent that I'm just not excited ENOUGH to suffer the Epic store. I hope it does well, and I wish nothing but the best for 4A, but I won't buy it on the only PC store that's offered and I hope the series/franchise doesn't suffer as a whole.

Stuart360

Everyone seems to be moaning about bad AI, is it that bad?.
Also watched a couple of streams of the OneX and PC versions, this has to be the new graphics king, just incredible looking.

The monster combat is just..........not good so far. It's like 4A accounted for the players slow movement and designed most monsters themselves to move really slow........... It's really bizarre.

There's a section where I'm supposed to meet a mechanic surrounded by zombies and they just move at a snails pace. I'll keep going but I haven't really liked what I've played so far and I enjoyed 2033 and Last Light.

I'm also playing on hardcore.

nkarafo

Is this like Bioshock 3 where the girl is followng you around in the whole game?

That would be annoying.

Sentenza

Honestly? Even putting the recent backlash that I've participated in aside. That doesn't seem like a hard metric to beat. Metro 2033/Last Light have been shadows of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. They haven't been BAD games in the slightest but STALKER let you do more with less and came with their own jank as a result. Exodus looks like it's found that middle ground that I feel I would love, but I just can't bring myself to committing to an EPIC launcher when I've played all the games on STEAM and don't trust Epic in the slightest. I WANT to play Exodus, but I don't want to play it bad enough because Last Light and 2033 set enough of a precedent that I'm just not excited ENOUGH to suffer the Epic store. I hope it does well, and I wish nothing but the best for 4A, but I won't buy it on the only PC store that's offered and I hope the series/franchise doesn't suffer as a whole.
Yeah, let's be clear about one thing: this definitely isn't the "Metro meets Stalker" I hoped for when this was announced and when I watched the trailers.
This feels every bit as the previous Metro games, for better or worse (it's "worse" in my book, and the reason I asked for my refund, but opinions will be divided about this).

Top Bottom