• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro Exodus |OT| Epic Game!

Solarstrike

You should have bought the Artyom edition then lol

I bought the Spartan Edition for PC and The Aurora Edition for XB1X. The Artyom Edition is not for sale and only available through a contest, which is still ongoing.

Artyom Edition

Last edited:

The sequence where you have to find the radio signal while Anya and her father scream and shout at each other in the background is--HANDS FUCKING DOWN--one of the worst moments in video game history. And then, once their argument ends, Anya's father asks you every 5 FUCKING SECONDS if you've found the signal.

"PLEASE, ARTYOM, YOU MUST FIND THE SIGNAL!!!!! ARE YOU LOOKING FOR IT, ARTYOM? COME ON, DO YOUR BEST! HAVE YOU FOUND IT YET, ARTYOM? PLEASE, TRY--IT MUST BE THERE!"

I can't believe this game made it out the door in the state it is on consoles. Control issues, black crush on Xbox One and X...what a mess.

4A games, you suck!

I sat there for the longest time on that part waiting for something to happen. Didn't know I needed to use the Dpad to basically equip the radio to use it. Hell I didn't even think I was supposed to do anything. He kept saying it and after a good few mins I was pushing every button but wasn't holding the dpad. This game is a mess.

Solarstrike

I sat there for the longest time on that part waiting for something to happen. Didn't know I needed to use the Dpad to basically equip the radio to use it. Hell I didn't even think I was supposed to do anything. He kept saying it and after a good few mins I was pushing every button but wasn't holding the dpad. This game is a mess.

Friendly advice. If you are playing on the hardest difficulty you aren't going to see the important button prompts. It states that right at the difficulty select screen. I would highly recommend playing first, on Normal difficulty. Otherwise the appropriate button prompts while at your desk/radio/journal will not appear. There's loot scattered everywhere in the game which will be a chore to find with the lack of HUD if playing on the hardest difficulty. I'm on my second play through on hardest difficulty/Ranger Hardcore and was just at the part you mentioned. There's no prompts per UI, as intended.

Friendly advice. If you are playing on the hardest difficulty you aren't going to see the important button prompts. It states that right at the difficulty select screen. I would highly recommend playing first, on Normal difficulty. Otherwise the appropriate button prompts while at your desk/radio/journal will not appear. There's loot scattered everywhere in the game which will be a chore to find with the lack of HUD if playing on the hardest difficulty. I'm on my second play through on hardest difficulty/Ranger Hardcore and was just at the part you mentioned. There's no prompts per UI, as intended.

I was on normal. I saw the radio icon but it didn’t click to hold the dpad.

kingwingin

Jumped into metro redux quick to compare the controls and its night and day difference.

Might just replay those while i wait for a patch

So the game is a mess, then?

Not saying it's a mess based on that one scene. More the controls that make me say its a mess. It feels like you are lugging around bricks attached to the character.

As far as that scene, if they would have shown a full Dpad layout it would have been more obvious to use the Dpad. Holding the Dpad was not something I was thinking about at that time.

USMC43

Banned
Played both Metros and Exodus by far the worst controlling of them all. Player movement is slow, sluggish and unnecessary. You walk into a little sprite of a bush and it's like the branches are tentacles, pulling against you. Some really boneheaded design decisions in this one.

Hi I'm trying to avoid spoilers in general, but if I could ask one question: I accidentally knifed a dude on the train segment early in the game.
I'd already done several non-lethal take downs to this point when suddenly this guy pops out waving his arms and shouting not to kill him.. I was low health, panicked, hit the wrong button and knifed him dead before I even read the accompanying dialogue. My question is: Does one mistake cost you the good ending? Or is it weighted percentage throughout the game? Or are there just glaringly obvious moments when you need to not kill? I mean, everyone was attacking me and trying to kill me, then *one* guy JUMPS out at me from behind cover, arms all flailing, and I panic killed him as I noticed his dialogue.. Should I restart the game?.

I'm yet to play Exodus since my copy hasn't arrived yet, but based on my experience with the previous 2 titles in the series, I'd say play the game as you want and accept the ending you're getting. It's bittersweet, but it's better than messing up your gameplay experience. Getting the good ending in 2033 and Last Light was so painfully obtuse it's basically impossible to do so without following a guide. The morality system is the one thing keeping this series from being 10/10 to me, just like the Dishonored games.

Raven117

The sequence where you have to find the radio signal while Anya and her father scream and shout at each other in the background is--HANDS FUCKING DOWN--one of the worst moments in video game history. And then, once their argument ends, Anya's father asks you every 5 FUCKING SECONDS if you've found the signal.

"PLEASE, ARTYOM, YOU MUST FIND THE SIGNAL!!!!! ARE YOU LOOKING FOR IT, ARTYOM? COME ON, DO YOUR BEST! HAVE YOU FOUND IT YET, ARTYOM? PLEASE, TRY--IT MUST BE THERE!"

I can't believe this game made it out the door in the state it is on consoles. Control issues, black crush on Xbox One and X...what a mess.

4A games, you suck!
Is this a joke? I can't tell.

Its not a big deal.

Justin9mm

Yeah I'm going to have to disable it on the tv level.. really annoying.

You can see how much detail its losing on the black segments underneath. At default half the bar is a smooth gradient only at nearly full can you see all the segments but then lights are completley washed out.

Is it our tvs or are most people not noticing it? I know my tv is calibrated correctly however.
I disabled the HDR on my X last night. I'm not sure it's a HDR issue but rather something wrong with their gamma display settings, I adjusted the brightness to just above half way and without HDR it looks a lot better but it is still not right as you still can't really see the very left symbol in the Gamma Settings. I think the HDR compounds the issue by washing it out as you turn up the brightness which does not happen as much with HDR Disabled.

Edit: The game crashed on me for the first time last night and just froze. I was so pissed so I just turned the game off then and there. Thinking of waiting until they fix this. If they pull a Rockstar and choose to ignore this issue then I've lost faith in day 1 purchases.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Just noticed something odd I haven’t seen before, that’s not the double footsteps and other sounds, controller lag etc.

I have a LG C7, so I have the mouse pointer on my remote. By chance, I knocked the remote, causing the pointer to appear on the screen. Well, the right side of the image is about a cm missing (65” tv). Every other side seems fine, except this side. No other issues in any other games or media. It’s almost like they us a screen positioning thing and it’s offset slightly. Very weird.

Edit: also FYI, I never had any crashes at all until I left the first open world area. Then it was crash city from that point on. Had about 10 so far. Xbox one X

Last edited:

Banned
Hey, can someone help me out on a plot point?

In the Caspian, I just did the
water mission

But other than killing bad dudes and driving off, I don't know what I really accomplished. What was the point?

Chiggs

Is this a joke? I can't tell.

Its not a big deal.

The combined issues were enough to get me to switch over to the PC version. Or were you just referring to the brilliant, "hey, listen for the radio signal while me and your wife scream at each other like morons" bit?

Raven117

The combined issues were enough to get me to switch over to the PC version. Or were you just referring to the brilliant, "hey, listen for the radio signal while me and your wife scream at each other like morons" bit?
The radio thing. I mean, it wasnt "The worst thing ever."

Raven117

You must be new here.
Been around awhile, and even this one struck me as strange. Hence why I asked if it were a joke. I mean, a little weird? Mildly irritating? Sure, but ZOMG, 0/10 terrible worst thing in a game ever? Just seems like an overreaching...even for this place.

pawel86ck

Banned
I disabled the HDR on my X last night. I'm not sure it's a HDR issue but rather something wrong with their gamma display settings, I adjusted the brightness to just above half way and without HDR it looks a lot better but it is still not right as you still can't really see the very left symbol in the Gamma Settings. I think the HDR compounds the issue by washing it out as you turn up the brightness which does not happen as much with HDR Disabled.

Edit: The game crashed on me for the first time last night and just froze. I was so pissed so I just turned the game off then and there. Thinking of waiting until they fix this. If they pull a Rockstar and choose to ignore this issue then I've lost faith in day 1 purchases.
According to this video below you must ignore ingame gamma settings

Chiggs

I guess. I think the game is great and I am enjoying my time with it quite a bit.

I've said incredibly positive things about it since making that post. For instance:

I'm switching to the PC version after playing through Yamantau on Xbox One X. The movement/aiming on the console, along with the black crush and constant crashes, are just too much to deal with.

It's a testament to how much I love this game that I'm willing to do this. Stay tuned as I attempt to get Best Buy to refund my Aurora Edition.

Switched to the PC version from Xbox One X since I have a Titan Xp rig. Big difference in every way. Controls are better, even with a game pad.

This game is becoming one of my all time favorites.

Last edited:

Chiggs

Worst moments in video game history.....

Just saying man..... coming in a little hot don’t you think?

I get you.

I was pissed. 65 hour work week with a major project due in two weeks time with very little room for error; looking to Metro Exodus to take my mind off of things on the weekend. Game crashes randomly on Xbox, can’t see shit with black crush, and, yes, that part struck me as pretty dumb considering that you’re supposed to be listening for a signal while her and her father nearly come to blows. It wasn’t a great intro to the game.

Luckily, Volga came.

Phobia

Maybe its just because I replayed both games over the past month in preparation for this one, but I was only stuck on that radio scene for about 5 seconds before I hit the correct d-pad button. So I didn't hear them constantly bitching at me to find the station.

Justin9mm

According to this video below you must ignore ingame gamma settings

Well I'm playing in a dimly lit room so the default 50 is slightly dark so will try to play adjusting it one higher and relying on the lighter and torch in dark sequences. I get it is also the art direction of the game being so dark in areas so will try to play like this. But I think it has confused people to think that something is wrong when it tells you to adjust the Gamma until the far left image is barely visible which you cannot see it at all, giving the impression that it is broken. They should address that or at least release an explanation statement.

Raven117

I get you.

I was pissed. 65 hour work week with a major project due in two weeks time with very little room for error; looking to Metro Exodus to take my mind off of things on the weekend. Game crashes randomly on Xbox, can’t see shit with black crush, and, yes, that part struck me as pretty dumb considering that you’re supposed to be listening for a signal while her and her father nearly come to blows. It wasn’t a great intro to the game.

Luckily, Volga came.
Fair enough! I actually thought it was kind of interesting.... strangely more interesting. Like when you hear an argument in real life. You try and ignore them

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I didn't realize someone could survive so many moltov cocktails thrown at their face. I finally blew myself up (I think) from pumping the gauge too much. I kinda liked that whole area.

The next area is giving me some Rage vibes, but I think it's because of how gunfights are in that type of environment.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Is it me or is there little to no difference between Ray Tracing High and Ultra?

Yeah, I'm going to look for direct frame comparisons but I suspect the performance difference can't be justified. The developers recommend high. If you read the Digital Foundry interview they talk about being able to use 0.5 rays per pixel with statistical methods which apparently is close enough visually to 1 ray per pixel in ultra for what they are using RTX for.

edit:

The difference is most apparent in the one outdoor scene towards the end of the video @ 1:30

edit: another observation about that scene is how different ground textures look. Arguably they look best in off which is interesting. And more samples from high to ultra brings out more detail but still less than the off setting. Shows the downside of RTX (with current ray count, amount of denoising, how artists design for off etc)

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
So my game locked up on me twice within a five a minute period over the weekend and crashed my PS4 Pro both times. When I finally rebooted it the third time and started the game, I got a notification telling me my save file was corrupted. Basically 12 hours down the drain and I was doing so fucking good and loving every minute of it. I tried starting over but it just wasn't the same. I felt so disconnected and like I was just going through the motions to get to where I was before which was HOURS away. I just couldn't do it.

First corrupt save fuck up on a PlayStation system for me since Resistance 3 whenever that came out.

I've already returned it. Thankfully got a full refund. Ill return to it in a year or so when it's 20 bucks and this buggy bullshit is fixed.

Really sucks though because the game was pretty fucking awesome from what I had played.

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
That does suck. I've gotten in a habit on pc of pushing quicksave like every 3 minutes because Nvidia drivers make a bunch of games crash randomly. Metro hasn't crashed yet though which is at this point a bit unusual for new games

ebevan91

Was gonna try holding off on this, but this thread has me sold.

I have a mid-range i7 and a 1070 Ti, is 1440p a pipe-dream?

I have an i7 4790k and a regular 1070 and I'm running at 1440p on medium settings. It hovers at 60fps most of the time but it will drop when there's a lot of smoke/fog or explosions.

Stuart360

I have an i7 4790k and a regular 1070 and I'm running at 1440p on medium settings. It hovers at 60fps most of the time but it will drop when there's a lot of smoke/fog or explosions.
You should be able to at least run at 'high' settings with that PC at 1440p.
I'm playing at 1080p/Ultra at 60fps with a I5-6600K and a 980ti, with plenty of gpu room to spare.

Also is it just me or is the benchmark much harder to run than the actual game?

Last edited:
Are we allowed to mention the C word on this forum?

This game has been C'd after just 5 days. The C'd version even sports bonus features, such as: no need for epic launcher, no need for always online connection checks and unlimited re-installs.

Last edited:
I was really into it until the end of Caspian where.

Dameir left even though I did literally everything right, freed the slaves, spared Saul, didn't kill any slaves, got Giul's picture. Now I'm stuck with the bad ending, GG 4Agames.

Shit almost pisses me off more than when my New Vegas end game bugged out :(

Last edited:

bati

Looks like Ranger Hardcore is still as unfriendly to new players as ever. And I don't mean the difficulty, that is actually great, but the game simply doesn't explain anything or tell you what you just looted.

For example, I walked into an irradiated area last night and my character started gasping for air so I put on a gas mask but the damage did not stop, which is of course realistic but giving the player a quick popup or something to tell.hom how to deal with this hazard would be nice. So now I'm wondering if you can obtain any special suits later on or are you simply supposed to use medkits to navigate these areas.

kingwingin

I'm yet to play Exodus since my copy hasn't arrived yet, but based on my experience with the previous 2 titles in the series, I'd say play the game as you want and accept the ending you're getting. It's bittersweet, but it's better than messing up your gameplay experience. Getting the good ending in 2033 and Last Light was so painfully obtuse it's basically impossible to do so without following a guide. The morality system is the one thing keeping this series from being 10/10 to me, just like the Dishonored games.
I used to hate the moral based endings buts Its actually not that bad. I just played through 2033 and last light over the last few days and got the good ending both times.

As long as you take your time, explore and listen to convos you will get more than enough moral points.

I used to hate the moral based endings buts Its actually not that bad. I just played through 2033 and last light over the last few days and got the good ending both times.

As long as you take your time, explore and listen to convos you will get more than enough moral points.

I'm not sure here, but when I played Last Light I think I got every single hidden conversation thing, but I killed Lesnitsky and never played stealth because LOL stealth in these games. Got the bad ending. I braved it again after a few months following a guide and got the good one. Maybe I'm misremembering stuff here and I missed a few hidden things, but I distinctively remember getting pissed off that you need to play stealth.

kingwingin

I'm not sure here, but when I played Last Light I think I got every single hidden conversation thing, but I killed Lesnitsky and never played stealth because LOL stealth in these games. Got the bad ending. I braved it again after a few months following a guide and got the good one. Maybe I'm misremembering stuff here and I missed a few hidden things, but I distinctively remember getting pissed off that you need to play stealth.
Oh yeah, forgot stealth is important.

The game does a good job with stealth and is very forgiving. But yeah if stealth isnt your thing you are destined to get the bad endings

Oh yeah, forgot stealth is important.

The game does a good job with stealth and is very forgiving. But yeah if stealth isnt your thing you are destined to get the bad endings

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of stealth and I like the shooting in these games. It feels good to shoot your enemies while sneaking around to knock them out just doesn't do it for me. It's too bad too, the bad ending in Last Light is so sad.

scalman

Just tried it. On PC. Nice story. Very linear at first 4 hrs at least. No other ways to play just one path. Graphics ok but nothing amazing. Not FC5 graphics level. A lot low res textures all over. Too much loadings. Lots cinematics when you not play just watch. Just dont feel as im in that world. Ohh and english voices are terrible. Russian is they way to go.
I hoped for more. And some dialogs are so empty and even funny. Who even wrote those. There is no drama no tension not much emotions no tears. You just not care much about all that world i duno. Monsters not very smart . shooting people is even worse just too easy.
First stalker was better game with better AI in 2007.

Last edited:

Gediminas

Banned
stealth especially get negative effect in this game because you have no choice. i like stealth games a lot, i enjoy them, but i should at least have a choice, here, you have no choice if you want good ending, platinum. you have to play just certain way. you creating these immersive worlds and don't let the people enjoy them. what was the point of creating open areas, exploration if you don't give the players a choice to enjoy them in terms of good ending? i should have a choice, to save them all and enjoy freely the world.

Last edited:
Top Bottom