• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro Exodus |OT| Epic Game!

J3nga

This game has a huge issue with the locations aren't being designed for a stealthy gameplay which leads to another problem, that is getting a good ending. To get a good ending you have to play certain locations without killing anyone, but stealth gameplay and level design both are so not made for that I ask myself how is this present in Triple A big budget game? Otherwise it pushes forward some brand new technologies such as Ray tracing and also at times looks really impressive, but at the same time has some really old technical(changing graphic options takes more than a minute and you can literally see percentage of that) and game design implementations, it's quite a paradox if you ask me.

Last edited:

Peroroncino

This game has a huge issue with the locations aren't being designed for a stealthy gameplay which leads to another problem, that is getting a good ending. To get a good ending you have to play certain locations without killing anyone, but stealth gameplay and level design both are so not made for that I ask myself how is this present in Triple A big budget game? Otherwise it pushes forward some brand new technologies such as Ray tracing and also at times looks really impressive, but at the same time has some really old technical(changing graphic options takes more than a minute and you can literally see percentage of that) and game design implementation, it's quite a paradox if you ask me.

I've played through entire game stealthily so I'm not sure where's the problem. Also never really had a problem with avoiding detection in key story moments.

Starfield

It's probably another step forward towards photorealistic graphics. I don't think anything comes close to Metro currently.
I'd say Star Citizen is pretty much on par aswell given what it is accomplishing right now only in Alpha. I bet they are going to add Ray Tracing in some sort aswell down the line.

PaNaMa

Banned
Hi I'm trying to avoid spoilers in general, but if I could ask one question: I accidentally knifed a dude on the train segment early in the game.
I'd already done several non-lethal take downs to this point when suddenly this guy pops out waving his arms and shouting not to kill him.. I was low health, panicked, hit the wrong button and knifed him dead before I even read the accompanying dialogue. My question is: Does one mistake cost you the good ending? Or is it weighted percentage throughout the game? Or are there just glaringly obvious moments when you need to not kill? I mean, everyone was attacking me and trying to kill me, then *one* guy JUMPS out at me from behind cover, arms all flailing, and I panic killed him as I noticed his dialogue.. Should I restart the game?.

Lanrutcon

Hi I'm trying to avoid spoilers in general, but if I could ask one question: I accidentally knifed a dude on the train segment early in the game.
I'd already done several non-lethal take downs to this point when suddenly this guy pops out waving his arms and shouting not to kill him.. I was low health, panicked, hit the wrong button and knifed him dead before I even read the accompanying dialogue. My question is: Does one mistake cost you the good ending? Or is it weighted percentage throughout the game? Or are there just glaringly obvious moments when you need to not kill? I mean, everyone was attacking me and trying to kill me, then *one* guy JUMPS out at me from behind cover, arms all flailing, and I panic killed him as I noticed his dialogue.. Should I restart the game?.

It's not a black and white system. You can kill some folks. The exacts of the mechanic are still being discovered. I would suggest doing all the side quests for good karma. Don't look them up, there'll be spoilers.

PaNaMa

Banned
It's not a black and white system. You can kill some folks. The exacts of the mechanic are still being discovered. I would suggest doing all the side quests for good karma. Don't look them up, there'll be spoilers.

I feel like because I killed that one surrendering soldier, I have to restart the game now =\

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Seems ok in the mid 30s to me. But then I've played games in 15-25fps before (in DSR mode) so maybe I'm just used to the input lag

I might retry later. There is just so much going on inthe screen and the input lag is just frustrating because I can't navigate or sight as I wish I could.

I bought it because Métro Redux were awesome. I knew it was 30fps this time but I thought about a Destiny smooth kind of 30fps.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
There's something very satisfying about turning a revolver into a rifle. Then I go and waste all my ammo because something decides its wants to pick me up 15-20 ft into the air and drop me on the ground. I don't know if its just me but there's a few times where my melee felt like it wasn't doing any damage at all. I think it was with those blue-ish tinted enemies. They must take more damage to kill.

The catfish was killed super fast. I didn't realize I was trying to actually kill it due to how dark that area was. It felt like survival of the environment was much more important.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
The sequence where you have to find the radio signal while Anya and her father scream and shout at each other in the background is--HANDS FUCKING DOWN--one of the worst moments in video game history. And then, once their argument ends, Anya's father asks you every 5 FUCKING SECONDS if you've found the signal.

"PLEASE, ARTYOM, YOU MUST FIND THE SIGNAL!!!!! ARE YOU LOOKING FOR IT, ARTYOM? COME ON, DO YOUR BEST! HAVE YOU FOUND IT YET, ARTYOM? PLEASE, TRY--IT MUST BE THERE!"

I can't believe this game made it out the door in the state it is on consoles. Control issues, black crush on Xbox One and X...what a mess.

4A games, you suck!

I thought it was my TV, but there you go, I can't see shit in complete darkness.

I grabbed this today to finally give my 2080ti a workout, it looks wonderful but at what point do I take over and actually play it? It's felt so far like I'm forced through tunnels and no matter what I do the game continues on the same path. Granted I hear it opens up a bit but add the sluggish movement to the mix and I might just wait a little while. Also shouldn't there be HDR?

Banned
I think this is the first truly great FPS I've played on the PS4. Everything about it so far, from the game engine to the character models to the gun play to the story just feels incredible. The last game I attempted was Far Cry 5 and I just got so constantly annoyed at that game despite wanting to love it, that I never kept going after clearing the first area. There were way too many cheap contrivances in that game. Silly hallucination sequences, ridiculously extended battles, the fucking plane fight, etc. Metro Exodus is fucking great.

I almost tapped out on the intro, the game GREATLY improved when you get to the first open area. Feels like a decent mix of Last Light and Stalker.

MindaRi

Neo Member
I hope this game will get Game of the Year award. I played this game with my mouth open and the ending made me sad

Shai-Tan

Banned
I grabbed this today to finally give my 2080ti a workout, it looks wonderful but at what point do I take over and actually play it? It's felt so far like I'm forced through tunnels and no matter what I do the game continues on the same path. Granted I hear it opens up a bit but add the sluggish movement to the mix and I might just wait a little while. Also shouldn't there be HDR?

Early game is like the previous games, mostly linear with some stealth. It's front loaded with scripted events but it's not like the game completely changes in more open areas. It's more like Half Life than Far Cry.

To get the HDR option you need to enable it in Windows first but it looks completely wrong to me. I asked on a previous page if there's something special to do or is it just broken

Chiggs

I'm switching to the PC version after playing through Yamantau on Xbox One X. The movement/aiming on the console, along with the black crush and constant crashes, are just too much to deal with.

It's a testament to how much I love this game that I'm willing to do this. Stay tuned as I attempt to get Best Buy to refund my Aurora Edition.

Ulysses 31

Turns out it's the DLSS that's giving everything a greyish tint, turned it off and HDR seems to be working much better. Probably will switch to 2560x1440 res since now at 4K I get around 30-40 fps in open areas with everything maxed out.

Last edited:

Nydus

I have a massive graphic glitch in the kaspian dessert. It started after you have to get the map. Almost all objects and NPC disappear and reappear constantly. No matter if I move the camera or not. Whole system is up to date. Reinstalling drivers with ddu didn't help :( I even tried the physx fixes for the older metro games but no luck. Any ideas???

Quoting myself in case somebody comes here by the power of google.

If you have EXTREME flickering of objects, NPC and textures. Or sometimes the outside being visible in bunkers or anything else. Its NOT your PC. Its the game.

The ONLY way to fix the issue is to restart the whole chapter. Nothing else worked and i tried the following:

-everything up to date
-disabling/uninstalling/manually assigning PhysX
-ingame Vsync
-tesselation
-forcing GPU in windows
-gsync off
-another monitor
-HDR on/off
-DX12/DX11
-every graphics option in the game
-downgrading driver
-DDU driver reinstall
-verifying the game
-trying windowed mode
-trying random stuff in the config file
-reinstalling the whole game (god bless my SVDSL 250)

and NOTHING worked even in the slightest. When assigning PhysX to the CPU it seemed to a help a tiny tiny bit. But was most likely placebo. Only after i restarted the Caspian chapter did the error vanish. I have NO idea how that is even possible. Im PC gaming for 20 years but such a massive, game breaking graphic glitch trough a (maybe) corrupt save file? That never happened before :O

Nydus

Turns out it's the DLSS that's giving everything a greyish tint, turned it off and HDR seems to be working much better. Probably will switch to 2560x1440 res since now at 4K I get around 30-40 fps in open areas with everything maxed out.

Do you play on a TV? And how does 1440p look on a 4k display? Is it tolerable? You could also lower the shading thingi so the internal resolution gets lowered.

Ulysses 31

Do you play on a TV? And how does 1440p look on a 4k display? Is it tolerable? You could also lower the shading thingi so the internal resolution gets lowered.
4K Monitor. 1440p looks fine too IMO just a little less sharper if you stare at textures.

Stuart360

I'm surprised more isnt being said about the bad AI. I'm about 60% through watching a playthrough, and i cant remeber seeing braindead enemies as bad as this, not in a long time anyway.

Last edited:

kingwingin

This game has a huge issue with the locations aren't being designed for a stealthy gameplay which leads to another problem, that is getting a good ending. To get a good ending you have to play certain locations without killing anyone, but stealth gameplay and level design both are so not made for that I ask myself how is this present in Triple A big budget game? Otherwise it pushes forward some brand new technologies such as Ray tracing and also at times looks really impressive, but at the same time has some really old technical(changing graphic options takes more than a minute and you can literally see percentage of that) and game design implementations, it's quite a paradox if you ask me.
the few levels areas ive fought humans ive used stealth and havent had an issue. There are often stairs, ladders or walls that let you circle around enemies. Also make sure you use cans to distract

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Thinking about picking this up tonight. Biggest issues I'm gathering from this thread are the crushed blacks and the heavy controls. I know they are aware of the issue, any fix in yet?

Filth

What model? Is the HDR any good and what card do you have?

i have a Pg27uq with a 2080ti. I played the game from release without turning hdr on. I turned it on yesterday and the colors exploded in a good way. The sunsets, sky, and fire look amazing.

Justin9mm

Just booted it up tonight and noticed straight away another game where the HDR is broken (OLED, PS4 Pro).

Got a choice between over-exposed lights or crushed blacks. You can't turn off HDR. The in-game gamma makes no sense you can never see the left image and the central image only appears at 100% brightness.

How is this not a MASSIVE issue :(
I was looking for a comment on exactly this issue, I'm on the Xbox One X and it is the same, I was like why can't I see the left image at all in the Gamma adjustment settings and when I turn it up, in game it seems way too bright/over saturated. I guess I will turn HDR off on the console and boot it up to see what difference it makes.

Last edited:
Sit with Anna (you can do it three times after talking to others while on the train). It reminds me of what you could do in "The Darkness", not exactly the same.

Phobia

I think the game does a pretty good job of easing you into the new open world-ish hub areas by starting you off with an intro more similar to the other two games. So its a little slow for the first hour or so and then it picks up quick. Loving the customization system and it just looks insane on my X1X.

Glad I decided to get this instead of New Dawn, plus that'll be under 30 probably within a few months.

Nydus

PG27U and 2 2080TI Founder's Edition. Colors in general seem brighter and more vibrant and HDR seems good, never had HDR before this monitor.
i have a Pg27uq with a 2080ti. I played the game from release without turning hdr on. I turned it on yesterday and the colors exploded in a good way. The sunsets, sky, and fire look amazing.

Wow that's a bit out of my price range. But nice to see that those expensive monitors deliver a good HDR performance! So when they get cheaper we all will have something to look forward too :)

Chiggs

Switched to the PC version from Xbox One X since I have a Titan Xp rig. Big difference in every way. Controls are better, even with a game pad.

This game is becoming one of my all time favorites.

Gediminas

Banned
Huge issue is that you are blind and bad gamer. Game has many different ways to finish levels where humans involves, saving someone or endings.

bati

I'm surprised more isnt being said about the bad AI. I'm about 60% through watching a playthrough, and i cant remeber seeing braindead enemies as bad as this, not in a long time anyway.

First two games were the same so this really shouldn't come as a surprise.

Starfield

I think the game does a pretty good job of easing you into the new open world-ish hub areas by starting you off with an intro more similar to the other two games. So its a little slow for the first hour or so and then it picks up quick. Loving the customization system and it just looks insane on my X1X.

Glad I decided to get this instead of New Dawn, plus that'll be under 30 probably within a few months.
Just be glad you didn't purchase this horendous cash grab of a game and instead bought Metro

J3nga

Huge issue is that you are blind and bad gamer. Game has many different ways to finish levels where humans involves, saving someone or endings.
I'm sorry it hurt your feelings, but what's the point to talk about something you have no knowledge of (reffering to your statement about my gaming skills)? I've watched the barge location walkthrough on Youtube and stealthy approach looks stupid and unpolished, enemies can't see you being five meters away. It's not a great stealth game, same as the previous entries of the series and narrative progression relies stealthy approach which is absurd in my eyes. And well, sometimes it's not a great shooter either, shooting anything other than human is very uninspiring to say the least, I always try to avoid open-combat with monsters, especially those humanoids in the desert. Take Deus-ex for example, the gameplay mechanics and level design work well together, this far from it. IMHO should've focused on it's shooting part instead doing many things, but none being great and leaving stealthy approach very much optional and definitely not narrative influencing.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
I was looking for a comment on exactly this issue, I'm on the Xbox One X and it is the same, I was like why can't I see the left image at all in the Gamma adjustment settings and when I turn it up, in game it seems way too bright/over saturated. I guess I will turn HDR off on the console and boot it up to see what difference it makes.

Yeah I'm going to have to disable it on the tv level.. really annoying.

You can see how much detail its losing on the black segments underneath. At default half the bar is a smooth gradient only at nearly full can you see all the segments but then lights are completley washed out.

Is it our tvs or are most people not noticing it? I know my tv is calibrated correctly however.

Top Bottom