• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exodus: Become The Traveler Announced (with Matthew McConaughey)

Draugoth

Gold Member

We are proud to announce EXODUS™ — An epic new sci-fi action-adventure role-playing game (RPG) franchise developed by the team at Archetype Entertainment. Check out our extended cinematic trailer for #EXODUSGAME, produced by Blur Studio. BECOME THE TRAVELER.​

Publisher Wizards of the Coast and developer Archetype Entertainment, a studio founded by former BioWare developers and led by James Ohlen, have announced science-fiction action adventure RPG EXODUS for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, and PC. A release date was not announced.

Here is an overview of the game, via Wizards of the Coast:

About
EXODUS is an epic new science-fiction action adventure role-playing game (RPG) franchise. The IP is being developed by Archetype Entertainment, an Austin-based studio established as a division of game developer and publisher, Wizards of the Coast. The studio is lead by veteran AAA developers from BioWare, Naughty Dog, 343 Industries, and more.
Set in a brand-new sci-fi universe created in collaboration with top science fiction authors, EXODUS delivers a next-generation, narrative-driven experience that marries cinematic storytelling and broad player agency with modern AAA gameplay. The story is designed to layer action with deep emotional impact, as players face the consequences of Time Dilation on their choices, creating unpredictable outcomes that affect their loved ones, their legacy, and their entire civilization—for generations.
Story

In EXODUS, humanity has fled a dying Earth, finding a new home in a hostile galaxy – here, we are the underdogs fighting for survival. As The Traveler, you are humanity’s last hope. Your job is to steal alien weapons and technology from the most powerful beings in the universe, the Celestials—humanity’s greatest enemy. But there’s a catch—Time Dilation. As Travelers on interstellar missions, days for you are decades back home. The sacrifices you make to protect your loved ones create unpredictable consequences that change your world—reshaping the future. Returning home, you confront the consequences of your choices. In Exodus, the outcome of those choices manifests at a massive level, compounding over generations.

Last edited:
But there’s a catch—Time Dilation. As Travelers on interstellar missions, days for you are decades back home. The sacrifices you make to protect your loved ones create unpredictable consequences that change your world—reshaping the future. Returning home, you confront the consequences of your choices. In Exodus, the outcome of those choices manifests at a massive level, compounding over generations.

Finally, a Forever War game.

killatopak

Time dilation. Buy bitcoin, travel for a few days, ???, profit.

Sad Matthew Mcconaughey GIF by Legendary Entertainment

Gotta admit that "I love you" touched my black heart a little. Been awhile since a female character in anything I've watched was actually interested in the opposite sex. I'll keep an eye on this.

More details via Shinobi from the purple forum/X:
Been waiting so long to finally see this one announced. The talent in the team is nuts. Keep a major eye on this one, it's the next Mass Effect in all but name.

giphy.gif

60z1GFO.png

eAWqNTj.png

01WeHLg.png

Drew Karpyshyn (lead writer on Neverwinter Nights, KOTOR, ME1/2) is helming the story:

Story
"In Exodus, humanity has fled a dying Earth, finding a new home in a hostile galaxy – here, we are the underdogs fighting for survival. As The Traveler, you are humanity's last hope. Your job is to steal alien weapons and technology from the most powerful beings in the universe, the Celestials – humanity's greatest enemy. But there's a catch — Time Dilation. As Travelers on interstellar missions, days for you are decades back home. The sacrifices you make to protect your loved ones create unpredictable consequences that change your world — reshaping the future. Returning home, you confront the consequences of your choices. In Exodus, the outcome of those choices manifests at a massive level, compounding over generations."

Key Features:
  • Experience the Emotional Impact of Time Dilation – Time Dilation escalates the emotional impact of your story-driven choices like never before. Traveling on interstellar missions at the edge of lightspeed, time moves differently — days for you can be years, decades or even centuries for those back home. The world you fight so hard to save moves on without you, changing and evolving while you are left behind. In your absence, friends and family will grow old and change, while you remain the same, forcing you to exist outside of time.

• Explore A Universe of Possibilities – As the Traveler, you navigate the stars on missions to steal alien weapons and technology from the most powerful beings in the universe and humanity's greatest enemy, the Celestials. These remnants are used to fight a destructive force that threatens the entire galaxy, including your homeworld. Through exploration, you gain an understanding of your universe, the Celestials, and how you are connected to the fate of humanity.

• Lead A Diverse Cast of Companions – As humanity's savior you will lead a diverse set of companions in your fight for humanity, many of whom have their own quest and romance paths. Willing to brave unfathomable danger, and to stare into the abyss at your side, they are ready to join you in facing whatever arises. These are not just brave soldiers—they are genetically engineered savants, punk mech pilots, geniuses cursed with alien viruses and more.

• Own Your Journey – In EXODUS, you have the agency to customize your experience, from your character to your progression, combat style and the companions you choose. With each mission you grow more powerful as you progress from a lowly salvager to humanity's last hope. As you infiltrate dangerous alien strongholds, you'll need to decide which combat tactics and strategies you'll use to exploit your enemy's weakness.
Click to shrink...

e_x_o_d_u_s__press-_release-_key_art_1280x720_with-logo-1701984034.jpg

cinematic_021-1701796692.jpg

cinematic_063-1701796747.jpg

cinematic_065-1701796755.jpg

cinematic_059-1701796738.jpg

RavageX

So what if you can't nerd yourself into the game? Go to bed.
So this would be one step back so far. Alien variety? This looks a bit like Mass Effect Andromeda to me.

Its not easy getting excited about games these days. They show you a bit of shit (good or bad) then you get an incomplete game with a "roadmap" or devs making apologies for a broken game.

I am not optimistic yet, especially if movie celebs are involved based on how that usually goes when they are involved in games. Maybe if they are just funding it....

Bartski

Gold Member
“Procedural generation — that word makes me…” Ohlen coughs, smiles, and restarts. “I see [our universe] more like the Final Fantasy series, where each one is totally different, but in a handcrafted area. And because of time dilation, you can still have characters that show up again, like, you know, a favorite companion might show up, even though a game takes place 5,000 years in the future… It allows us to tell a coherent story with companions with [their own] arcs. It is a bit complex, but it’s something that we’ve already struggled with, and we figured out what the plan is moving forward.”
In Exodus, these gulfs between the flow of time in one solar system and another will be central to your decision-making progress. Should you travel to a distant star in the hopes of rescuing a brilliant scientist, knowing that the years that pass on your homeworld will be threefold? Should you aid a fledgling rebellion on a nearby moon, even though your favorite NPC might age or even die back home? (These situations are purely hypothetical on my part, but they give you a sense of the risk/reward at play under Archetype’s time mechanic.)
“This essentially supersizes all of the choices that you make,” Ohlen said. “Instead of seeing the consequences of a choice you make in conversation or in gameplay, you know, days later, or weeks or months later, years or even decades later, you’ll see the impact. The choice you made with, say, bringing a remnant technology back with you, or how you decided to use that tech. You’re going to have all sorts of twists and turns, and family dynamics that just get really weird. You have some children, and you go off, and it’s been a month for you, but 30 years for them. And they’re like, ‘What the fuck, dad?’ [laughs]”
Exodus [is very] handcrafted,” Ohlen said. “Every time you visit a world, we want it to be this experience where everything is unique. We don’t want players to see the horizon. We want them to feel like they’re exploring a universe, and that they can go anywhere, even though they can’t. That’s why we have people on the team from Mass Effect, and we have people from Naughty Dog.

knguyen

Gotta admit that "I love you" touched my black heart a little. Been awhile since a female character in anything I've watched was actually interested in the opposite sex. I'll keep an eye on this.
Dumb asses already put this game on their boycott list.
This could be my ultimate space discovery games. I have always wanted a game where I can go to different planets that full of mysteries.

Sleepwalker

I'm excited for this, keeping an eye on its development, is there a tentative release? Getting some gameplay in the trailer was relieving at least.

Can't wait to know more, what's weird is they had Matthew introduce it but they didn't show his character.

Top Bottom