• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro Series Creator Dmitry Glukhovsky is handed an 8-year prison term for discrediting Russia’s army

Draugoth

Gold Member
Metro-Franchise.jpg

Dmitry Glukhovsky, the author behind the Metro books, has been sentenced to eight years in prison.

As reported by the Associated Press, on August 7, Glukhovsky was found guilty of intentionally spreading misinformation about Russia's armed forces by the Moscow court. Glukhovsky revealed over a year ago that he was placed on a Russian federal watchlist after being accused of discrediting Russia's army in a post on his Instagram account. While Glukhovsky does not live in Russia, he was tried in absentia, according to the Associated Press.

Glukhovsky is a Russian journalist and author best known for his post-apocalyptic sci-fi novel Metro and its subsequent sequels. In addition to a list of successful novels, the franchise has spawned a video game adaption developed by 4A games, with the most recent installment, Metro Exodus, released back in 2019.

Glukhovsky has been vocal about his support for Ukraine after Russia invaded the country in February 2022. His sentence is one of many as Russia has cracked down on those who speak out against the government due to the ongoing war. Shortly after invading Ukraine, the Russian parliament passed a bill imposing up to 15 years in jail for anyone spreading "fake news" about the war in Ukraine.

Unknown?

Another regular day in fascist Russia, nothing to see here.

This country and its brainwashed masses are a disgrace to all mankind.
Fascism is the merger of power between state and corporations. Any country could be considered fascist, including the United States.

But yes, this is pretty bad. That's why we have the 1st amendment, so you can criticize the government. Sadly the government has circumvented our 1st amendment by coercing corporations to violate it on their behest.

Last edited:

violence

This is a very old interview, but he was a very amusing guy here. I can see him pissing off Russia.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Congrats, Dmitry! Look at it as a badge of honor and wear it with pride!

Don't even bother about this BS, guys, it only means that they're afraid of us who's against the war and can't do shit to anyone they can't touch and reach. All of their BS sencences (as well as BS laws) to anyone in Russia who's against the war means nothing and only good for one thing - to wipe your ass with them.

SkylineRKR

Why would a sentence by that country be impressive when they can't even beat Ukraine? This is their Vietnam.

As bad as this war is, we finally see Russia's true mettle. And turns out, their weaponry and tactics are quite outdated. They can't topple Ukraine who is merely using weapons delivered by NATO. This means that Russia was all bark. They don't stand a chance against the united nations.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
lol that’s not how democracy works.
I mean… why wouldn’t he move elsewhere years ago

RagnarokIV

They've been out for him for a long time now. He's never going back there (thankfully).
He was also a journalist for a long time and took no shit. He's great and I love Metro and the D9/Metro2 mythos (possibly fact).

Drizzlehell

Banned
So many fuckwits think this bloke is a legend for this pic alone.

Bloke is getting his ass handed to him by the Ukraine.
Those Putin memes from like early-to-mid 2010s always gave me a very strong "cult of personality" propaganda vibe tbh. Sucks that we had to find out that it was essentially true.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Thanks mods for the thread title change. I’m not a person whose opinion matters on what the guy did was right or wrong. Just sucks that he lives in a place where you can’t speak negatively about the military.

Dorago

In America they’d just have to accuse him of saying the ennword or say he cast a vote for the most popular political candidate in history.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
In America they’d just have to accuse him of saying the ennword or say he cast a vote for the most popular political candidate in history.
True, and in Canada or UK, you just need to "misgender" or call someone a lesbian and have their feelings hurt. Even if you have autism, violent arrests will be made.

Fascist control freaks be everywhere trying to erode your speech.

So you can't talk shit about Russia or will be thrown in prison.

Oh boy.
Same shit as China. Ppl don't understand how terrifying it is to live in country where the Government/President/Politicians are basically just King...

I was lucky enough to immigrate to the US, seeing how some "Americans" speak today makes me wonder if they know how good they've had it compared to a lot of the rest of the world.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Same shit as China. Ppl don't understand how terrifying it is to live in country where the Government/President/Politicians are basically just King...

I was lucky enough to immigrate to the US, seeing how some "Americans" speak today makes me wonder if they know how good they've had it compared to a lot of the rest of the world.
China's social credit system scares the mess out of me by the way they control commerce and movement based upon your standing with the government.

AJUMP23

Gold Member

Look at what all the major governments of the world want. This type of control.

Top Bottom