• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta GAF |ON| Gaf on Gaf

Status
Not open for further replies.
You ever get that feeling you already played a game before? I got that playing this and it never grabbed me. I put 6 hours into it (3ds version) and I never touched it again. Got it cheap as well and was thinking of getting the hd version if it was actually good too.

Damn, it's kinda like you never played the game at all and are just offering vague explanations for why you dislike it. Strange.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, it's kinda like you never played the game at all and are just offering vague explanations for why you dislike it. Strange.
I couldn't stand Halo 4/5 multiplayer. They ruined what made Halo fun for me. I'm optimistic for Halo Infinite, but the grappling hook looks like it does not belong. I don't want powerups. I just want vanilla Halo. The powerups from 3 were alright and fit in. That was the last FPS I logged serious time into.
You will never be matt.

bronk

Banned
Halo 5 multiplayer here. It is a shockingly good time. It feels like finding some kind of small, comforting refuge within the burning city that is the modern Halo series.
I put hundreds of hours into Halo multiplayer 1-3. Especially 3. I didn't like any of them after that. Well hated 4 but I didn't try 5. It just didn't feel like Halo to me. Maybe I just don't like change too much idk.

I put hundreds of hours into Halo multiplayer 1-3. Especially 3. I didn't like any of them after that. Well hated 4 but I didn't try 5. It just didn't feel like Halo to me. Maybe I just don't like change too much idk.

I never played Halo 5 for more then a weekend. I tried to like 4, but they just tried to make it Call of Duty-ish. Sprint button and all the other powerups just made the game into something else.

Then Master Cheif collection came out and made me lose all interest in Halo. One of the biggest gaming bummers for me was the state that that game shipped in.

bronk

Banned
I never played Halo 5 for more then a weekend. I tried to like 4, but they just tried to make it Call of Duty-ish. Sprint button and all the other powerups just made the game into something else.

Then Master Cheif collection came out and made me lose all interest in Halo. One of the biggest gaming bummers for me was the state that that game shipped in.
I remember the first thing I noticed was the sprint button and was like c'mon this isn't Halo

So what are you guys playing?

We just finished Trials of Mana. Not the remake. I actually bought the remake, before I found out it has no multiplayer. That was a bummer. It seems like they made the game more action and combo based, which I don't think would have went over as well. I might play through the remake myself. It does look fun. I think we will play Paper Mario next as our family game.

I finished RE3 Remake last week as well. Thought it was alright. Nemesis was a huge bummer compared to Mister X. I didn't know he was all scripted. There was very little tension while playing. I still enjoyed the game, but it does feel like a step back from 2 Remake. I hope they do part 1 next instead of 4. I'd even prefer 0 over 4. Just feel like this style would suit those games more.

I plan on playing Last of Us 2 next. I haven't been spoiled too much. Besides whatever meme pics you guys posted in this thread. Last of Us was one of my favorite games last generation so I'm very excited to play it.

Still playing Granblue as my fighting game. I was thinking of picking up MK11 as I heard the netcode is very good. I'm sure there will be plenty of scrubs still playing so it'll be fun crushing souls at least.
RE3 remake is really a dissapointment when compared to re2r.

I finished it just recently, now I'm waiting on Serious Sam 4.
I hate when the release date is fucking vague.

9DL2kr8.jpg

August. Cool but what fucking day Croteam?

bronk

Banned
Yup. What the fuck were they thinking.

Fucking 343. And, they had that big old apology letter to the fans assuring them the game was in good hands.
Take a beloved franchise and copy Call of Duty? Made no sense.
RE3 remake is really a dissapointment when compared to re2r.

I finished it just recently, now I'm waiting on Serious Sam 4.
I hate when the release date is fucking vague.

9DL2kr8.jpg

August. Cool but what fucking day Croteam?
Someone needs to make another Painkiller as well. Love those Serious Sam games and clones.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned

I remember the first thing I noticed was the sprint button and was like c'mon this isn't Halo

Will never understand the hesitancy to a sprint button. The number one thing that annoyed me, in 2004, even, was how slow it was to get back into a battle, or run under fire if you needed to. It feels a bit like being a human tank instead of gunfight -- all offense, no mobility outside of a floaty jump, or defense.

The other stuff, I was concerned about. It was like, okay, you're really going to hard lock armor abilities as a permanent part of the gameplay? But. I actually ended up really liking them. The dodge and climb really bust up the idea of first-to-shoot-wins, and give you real strategic options. The sprint attack and ground pound are so rare they're just fun when they come up as well.

To me, it actually feels like the most pure, fun expression of Halo multiplayer in a long time.

bronk

Banned
Will never understand the hesitancy to a sprint button. The number one thing that annoyed me, in 2004, even, was how slow it was to get back into a battle, or run under fire if you needed to. It feels a bit like being a human tank instead of gunfight -- all offense, no mobility outside of a floaty jump, or defense.

The other stuff, I was concerned about. It was like, okay, you're really going to hard lock armor abilities as a permanent part of the gameplay? But. I actually ended up really liking them. The dodge and climb really bust up the idea of first-to-shoot-wins, and give you real strategic options. The sprint attack and ground pound are so rare they're just fun when they come up as well.

To me, it actually feels like the most pure, fun expression of Halo multiplayer in a long time.
Everything you listed I didn't like at all. It just didn't feel like Halo. It felt like a Halo game for people who didn't play Halo. Different strokes for different folks. I played a fuck ton of Halo and 4 bummed me out. I was super bitter, maybe I still am a tad. Hope new one is good even though I probably won't play it.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Everything you listed I didn't like at all. It just didn't feel like Halo. It felt like a Halo game for people who didn't play Halo. Different strokes for different folks. I played a fuck ton of Halo and 4 bummed me out. I was super bitter, maybe I still am a tad. Hope new one is good even though I probably won't play it.

If you have GamePass and a modern Xbox, you should give it a try. 100GB tho.

I can't understate how low my expectations were, only to load into a remake of Midship, and be totally blown away by how classic, yet, completely refined playing it felt. It felt just like Bungie Halo, but properly, and meaningfully taken forward, without losing the essence.

I was literally delighted my entire time playing it, to the point where a five minute session to try it out became three hours, with a doofy smile the entire time, lol.

bronk

Banned
If you have GamePass and a modern Xbox, you should give it a try. 100GB tho.

I can't understate how low my expectations were, only to load into a remake of Midship, and be totally blown away by how classic, yet, completely refined playing it felt. It felt just like Bungie Halo, but properly, and meaningfully taken forward, without losing the essence.

I was literally delighted my entire time playing it, to the point where a five minute session to try it out became three hours, with a doofy smile the entire time, lol.
Damn that sounds nice lol. I'm over here like urgghhh this isn't Halo 😠. I can honestly say I didn't give it a fair amount of time so maybe you are right. I'm so flippant that if something annoys me I nope right out of there. Nowadays half of FPS' give me a headache so I miss out on a ton. Feels bad.

brap

Banned
Damn that sounds nice lol. I'm over here like urgghhh this isn't Halo 😠. I can honestly say I didn't give it a fair amount of time so maybe you are right. I'm so flippant that if something annoys me I nope right out of there. Nowadays half of FPS' give me a headache so I miss out on a ton. Feels bad.
Just remember that it's ok to not like thing

Halo is an old school shooter in the sense that there are power weapons on the field. Going for the rocket launcher for example was always a risky power move. In a map like Zanzibar it was in the middle, high up away from both bases. So the player who went for it always had the risk of dying and having their team be screwed because no one else would be able to get there. Having a sprint button negates that tension and lets anyone get to any point of the screen instantly. That kinda went for all weapons. It didn't make positioning pointless, but it changed the fundamentals into something that was not Halo. Having a power weapon and being able to sprint all over the screen, collecting whatever you please was not Halo.

You also have a shield so you do not go down in one hit unless by rocket or close up shotgun blast. You could usually use the map and cover to reposition yourself to get yourself back into the battle. People who got the jump on you and Insta killed with grenade+headshot deserved it. For the most part even if someone got the jump on you you always had a fighting chance. Running away from a battle isn't what you do in Halo. Unless you cleared a path.

OG Halo was so good. I hope Halo Infinite can recapture it.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Halo is an old school shooter in the sense that there are power weapons on the field. Going for the rocket launcher for example was always a risky power move. In a map like Zanzibar it was in the middle, high up away from both bases. So the player who went for it always had the risk of dying and having their team be screwed because no one else would be able to get there. Having a sprint button negates that tension and lets anyone get to any point of the screen instantly. That kinda went for all weapons. It didn't make positioning pointless, but it changed the fundamentals into something that was not Halo. Having a power weapon and being able to sprint all over the screen, collecting whatever you please was not Halo.

The first time I've ever seen anyone cite a reason. Respect.

Aren't you and your team just as fast, though? What actually changes in regards to controlling the map and fighting over the rewards?

Given the trade-offs I mentioned, as well as the fact that power weapons and positioning are a big part of Halo 5, with visible spawn timers and huge fights over power weapons, that feels like the better change to me, at least.

To edit in response to the edit: in some game types and scenarios there are times where you find yourself needing to book it to cover or an objective. Taking shot after shot with slow movement speed, makes any effort to survive in this scenario hopeless, particularly given that players don't miss in Halo, and the first shot landed in the open, will almost always be the player that wins.

Last edited:
I honestly constantly forget when arguing with people about which Halo games are best/worst that I only played the MP much on 1 and 2 and even then I prefer the games for their campaigns. I feel like the conversation of which Halo is best for campaign and which is best for multiplayer can be very different convos. I had more fun with Halo 1 MP than 2 but that's because it was always with friends, it had to be. My friends weren't big on Halo 2's multiplayer, they got sick of me grabbing the sword and fucking their day up I think, changing the dynamic from Magnum fights. I did get into it a bit with XBOX Live when that first launched but I ended up spending way more time with Battlefield 2 Modern Combat on XBOX because I kinda prefer the legitimate chaos games like that presented.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
A lot of people's personal preferences doesn't even have to do with how good any of those games are relative to each other. Certain Halo releases are going to coincide with specific times in everyone's lives where they have the most free time to spend gaming and they have the most online and offline friends who are gaming with them, and that will cause their experience with that particular game to be higher just because of timing.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I honestly constantly forget when arguing with people about which Halo games are best/worst that I only played the MP much on 1 and 2 and even then I prefer the games for their campaigns. I feel like the conversation of which Halo is best for campaign and which is best for multiplayer can be very different convos. I had more fun with Halo 1 MP than 2 but that's because it was always with friends, it had to be. My friends weren't big on Halo 2's multiplayer, they got sick of me grabbing the sword and fucking their day up I think, changing the dynamic from Magnum fights. I did get into it a bit with XBOX Live when that first launched but I ended up spending way more time with Battlefield 2 Modern Combat on XBOX because I kinda prefer the legitimate chaos games like that presented.
Halo 2 is the best. This is objective.

-Arcadia-

Banned
If we're not counting the passage of time, Halo CE was the most mind-blowing campaign, and Halo 2 was the most amazing multiplayer.

If we are, Halo 3 is the best at both. It's not as jaw dropping due to those things being done already, but it took them to a whole new level.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
If we're not counting the passage of time, Halo CE was the most mind-blowing campaign, and Halo 2 was the most amazing multiplayer.

If we are, Halo 3 is the best at both. It's not as jaw dropping due to those things being done already, but it took them to a whole new level.
Repeated hallways does not make something the most mind-blowing campaign. Its just lazy game design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom