• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matrix - Path of Neo thread: is it a glitch in the Matrix when Shiny screws us twice?

I was playing the xbox version just to see that ridiculous ending last night, but it's not even worth it. It'll put you to sleep. There was this one Enter the Dragon homage level which was cool, but the way it goes about teaching you the moves and stuff sucks. What I did like is that in that sneaking around level, you don't have to complete the entire level. If an Agent captures you, you have to option to try again or to accept capture. And there's too much trial & error gameplay which would be fine if there weren't that damned loading time.

Kintaro said:
I simply cannot WAIT for Leguna's Final Judgement on this game. Especially after he hyped it up huge after E3 (was E3 right?).

Ohhhh maaaaan. :lol

Yeah. I recall him jizzing all over the game at the time.

StoOgE said:
xkoala.gif

Yeah, well I have a Koala, so you can shut the fuck up.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I want the video too, this is too bizarre to be real

Zer0

Banned
WordofGod said:
You consider a 7 decent ? :lol Are you one of the people who gave the previous matrix game a 9?

Why would anyone want to give shiny money for making two bad games in a row? :lol

if u read the fucking entire thread u will have noticed that i hate the first game

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
m0dus said:
tell someone that the staggered parkinson's dance neo does in the middle of the low-poly mess that is the enemy horde
That is so terrible and yet so funny. I am ashamed for laughing. :lol

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
teepo said:
pc gamers aren't the ones to trust.

Well, I'm about 1/3 into the Xbox version, and it's one of the worst things I've ever had the displeasure of playing. How the hell is this game chugging so much and still looking so ugly? I've seen Dreamcast games with better models and lighting. I especially enjoy it when all the sound effects disappear for stretches of time.

What a waste of a golden videogame license. Please somebody take this away from Shiny and hand it off to somebody who'll do something playable with it.

Zer0 said:
if u read the fucking entire thread u will have noticed that i hate the first game
did you post your opinion about this game elsewhere? I swear I already read comments exactly like yours in some other board

BobTheFork said:
They made ONE good flick, FROM AN IDEA STOLEN FROM F'N SHADOWRUN, and that's about it.
um... ever heard of Ghost in the Shell?

Ninja Scooter said:
remember when Shiny was a reasonably decent developer?

They're doing their damnedest to make me forget.

Same engine? Design by commitee? They don't have a hard release date to meet like ETM; wtf happened?

winter

SatelliteOfLove said:
They're doing their damnedest to make me forget.

Same engine? Design by commitee? They don't have a hard release date to meet like ETM; wtf happened?

I don't even think EtM's failure should be excused. Didn't Shiny have a $29 Million budget for that game.

anthony

so sad. :lol

but then again, that's what happens when you contract the developer of a comdey classic such as earthworm Jim to do your big serious movie tie-in.

anthony said:
so sad. :lol

but then again, that's what happens when you contract the developer of a comdey classic such as earthworm Jim to do your big serious movie tie-in.

But Earthworm Jim rocked visually and gameplay wise, ETM didn't.

..pakbeka.. said:
did you post your opinion about this game elsewhere? I swear I already read comments exactly like yours in some other board

um... ever heard of Ghost in the Shell?
true, but in Shadowrun they actually called it the Matrix. I used to love shadowrun for Genesis so it just pissed me off. Ghost in the shell rulez too.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
BobTheFork said:
true, but in Shadowrun they actually called it the Matrix. I used to love shadowrun for Genesis so it just pissed me off. Ghost in the shell rulez too.

Calling a massive computer grid a matrix isn't exactly a huge leap once you have the William Gibson/Phillip K. Dick material ripped off to begin with. It's far more likely that The Matrix and Shadowrun share source material rather than the former being a ripoff of the latter, IMO.

Snaku

Banned
Sho Nuff said:
You only have the right to make funny outtakes if your game is awesome.

Half of the stuff in that video are probably actual glitches. They probably never bothered to fix them either. :lol

MattKeil said:
Calling a massive computer grid a matrix isn't exactly a huge leap once you have the William Gibson/Phillip K. Dick material ripped off to begin with. It's far more likely that The Matrix and Shadowrun share source material rather than the former being a ripoff of the latter, IMO.
Well, it seemed far more direct than that. In shadowrun, the matrix is a simulated world, you take missions, fight battles, use and download and run programs to alter skills and stats. It really seemed more than just a coincedense to me.

winter

Alex Navarro of Gamespot.com gave it a 7.3

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/thematrixthepathofneo/review.html?sid=6139521

Path of Neo is a chaotic but pretty good brawler worth the time for those who still think fondly of the Matrix series.

The Good: Highly destructible environments; lots of improbable martial arts moves that are easy to pull off; great voice acting from a mostly soundalike cast; plenty of memorable moments of action.

The Bad: Chaos of the action can be overly daunting at times; graphics engine is not attractive; story changes gears wildly, from overly dramatic to overly jokey; some of the non-combat gameplay sequences aren't all that good.

This is quite a surprising review, especially from Alex Navarro whom I consider to be a decent reviewer. I honestly didn't believe this game would score over a 5.

BobTheFork said:
It really seemed more than just a coincedense to me.

Like Matt said, if you both rip off the same source material (Gibson/Dick), then you're going to end up with similar products. The technology of the Matrix is straight out of Gibson's dystopian worldview, but the plot, narrative, and paranoia is 120% Dick, just with more kung fu.

winter

Just curious, for anyone who has played the PS2 version, did Neo's hand look like this when you watched the cinematic of him taking the blue pill?

linky

That is how it looked in the video review but when I saw it on my PS2, it didn't look anything like that. His hand didn't look metallic; it was black.

daegan

winter said:
Just curious, for anyone who has played the PS2 version, did Neo's hand look like this when you watched the cinematic of him taking the blue pill?

linky

That is how it looked in the video review but when I saw it on my PS2, it didn't look anything like that. His hand didn't look metallic; it was black.

hahaha no.

it looked like a ps1 effect.

i'm still really torn on this game - it sometimes manages to be enjoyable despite its best efforts to suck. i think shiny just needs to fire their entire art and design teams. the coders can stay - they accomplished some beautiful lighting on ps2.

winter

daegan said:
hahaha no.

it looked like a ps1 effect.

i'm still really torn on this game - it sometimes manages to be enjoyable despite its best efforts to suck. i think shiny just needs to fire their entire art and design teams. the coders can stay - they accomplished some beautiful lighting on ps2.

I'm guessing maybe it looks like that on XB or PC but that screenshot is under PS2 screenshots and it isn't in the XB or PC shots. I also find it curious that Alex Navarro doesn't mention slowdown or jerky animation in his video review nor did I find either of those 2 issues present in the game footage of the video review. It makes me wonder if Atari accidentally sent out a beta version of the game to the presses and the reviewers got the right thing. But maybe this is just me hoping that noone in their right mind would release a game this shitty to the public.

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
In the end, I believe that the sheer defiance of the odds of this not happening due to logic will be what makes my head explode. Please god i need this game now.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I for one thought that it was a joke when I read about it back on page one.. but aparently

I don't know why that ending disappoints me, but it does... I guess I was expecting everyone in Zion to be holding hands and singing as one while the credits rolled instead of "We Are the Champions" playing over some stock Revolutions footage.

The ending is basically the Wachowski Bros. killing off the last few remaining stragglers who still have some goodwill for the Matrix franchise in 2005.

"GO AWAY!" they say. "The Matrix kinda sucked! Even we have come to accept that, now. You should too."

Top Bottom