• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Matrix - Path of Neo thread: is it a glitch in the Matrix when Shiny screws us twice?

FoneBone

dark10x said:
Ubisoft has shipped some of the most unpolished, bug-filled games this gen. I can't think of any recent Ubi game that didn't have SOME sort of problem.
"Ubisoft" and "most unpolished" at first struck me as a very weird juxtaposition... It's kinda fucked up that their games can be so polished in one sense (production values) and not in another (QA).

pixelbox

You guys are being way to hard on this game. And it's all for funs sake. The game is nowhere near as bad as you guys say. It's five times as better than etm. But i can see where you came from on the pc. It's a port of the ps2 game. i would have to give a 4/5 on the ps2, just like gamepro. I think it's limited by hardware.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I spent some time with this game last night... the opening difficulty determination sequence, the anderson escape sequence and the first training sequence that ends with the multiple 4 on 1's and the boss fight.... and I have to say... I'm not sure what all the complaints are about... yet. The combat engine has multiple options so it's not all just triangle, triangle, triangle... between special attacks, focus enhanced regular and specials... and then stun attacks which allow you to do throws or multiple stun attacks which allow you to do group attacks. At the very least the hand to hand engine seems leaps and bounds above ETM. I've heard there are issues with the gun combat system so I'll have to see what the deal is there. The animation is actually better than I expected it to be(though I did detect a few glitches in terms of animation not "connecting" with the opponent at the right distance), the attacks look good, special attacks look good, hand to hand weapon attacks even looked cool. Voice acting is average and the graphics so far are average... I personally thought that it was cool that you could choose to continue to "escape" in the anderson escape sequence(which I did), or you could choose to go back and let yourself be caught(I may restart the game and do that just to see what happens).

Overall the game looks to be about a 7 to me... and that's acceptable.

What IS strange is that apparently(just a quick glance through the credits in the back of the manual) ONLY Laurence Fishburne is doing his in game voice acting? WTF is up with that? That's incredibly retarded.

eshwaaz

daegan said:
Oh, and whoever said that they wanted to see Ubisoft take this license on? Do you REALLY think it'd be LESS glitchy? This is the company that let Warrior Within ship with multiple game-ending bugs.

You're definitely right there; when I mentioned Ubisoft Montreal I was referring to the animation in Prince of Persia, not the coding. Sands of Time translated the slow-motion acrobatics of the Matrix film into videogame form far better than Enter the Matrix or Path of Neo (sans the guns, of course).

DarienA

Musashi Wins! said:
I can't believe you'd give this game a 7/10. yikes.

I can't believe you care. But thanks your post is a prime example of why I no longer share my own personal opinions about games with this forum. I needed that reminder.

winter

Marconelly said:
Does the game really have DOT3 bumpmapping on PS2 or was that a lie also?

It has some sort of shit ugly poor man's normal mapping in a few places if that's what you mean. I only noticed it cuz I saw a cavernous rock wall shining like it was made of plastic.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
DarienA said:
I can't believe you care. But thanks your post is a prime example of why I no longer share my own personal opinions about games with this forum. I needed that reminder.

awesome. big baby.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
DarienA said:

actual game impressions were a nice change of pace for this thread though. I'd like to hear what you think of it later. You playing the PS2 version?

DarienA

levious said:
actual game impressions were a nice change of pace for this thread though. I'd like to hear what you think of it later. You playing the PS2 version?

Yeah.

Musashi Wins! said:
awesome. big baby.

Because I refuse to particpate in the shit tossing that happens in pretty much any thread when someone expresses their PERSONAL preferences for a title that isn't accepted? Which then results in the rain of "I can't believe you like this game" posts?

Whatever.

As someone pointed out a bit back GAF stopped being a place to talk about "playing" games awhile ago.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
winter said:
It has some sort of shit ugly poor man's normal mapping in a few places if that's what you mean.
Yes, that's basically it. Poor or not it's the first and only game on PS2 that pulled off that effect, so at least they didn't lie about that.

DarienA

Marconelly said:
Yes, that's basically it. Poor or not it's the first and only game on PS2 that pulled off that effect, so at least they didn't lie about that.

Does pulling it off terribly still qualify as pulling it off? ;)

demi

DarienA said:

Thank tha lord!

dark10x said:
Agreed there...

Ubisoft has shipped some of the most unpolished, bug-filled games this gen. I can't think of any recent Ubi game that didn't have SOME sort of problem.

As glitchy as Ubisoft might turn it out, there is also the chance that it would have been great overall game though. Presentation, gameplay, visuals, Ubisoft has the goods, Q&A....not so much...

daegan

eshwaaz said:
You're definitely right there; when I mentioned Ubisoft Montreal I was referring to the animation in Prince of Persia, not the coding. Sands of Time translated the slow-motion acrobatics of the Matrix film into videogame form far better than Enter the Matrix or Path of Neo (sans the guns, of course).

Oh, definitely; although I'd still like the game's combat to control smoother than PoP was.

I still don't see how a game based off something so OBVIOUS can fail so miserably.

Frog

I've only played the PS2 version, but from what I've heard, the X-Box version looks slightly better, has slowdown problems, and has lousy gun controls.

Leguna

Banned
TO ALL:
I haven't formulated a final opinion yet (being that I've only played about 10 minutes of the final game), but I had both the Xbox version AND the PS2 version (long story)! WARNING: the Xbox version does NOT have a widescreen 16:9 mode!!!!!! Only the PS2 version has the widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio option. So I was quick to exchange the Xbox copy for the PS2 copy.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Leguna said:
TO ALL:
I haven't formulated a final opinion yet (being that I've only played about 10 minutes of the final game), but I had both the Xbox version AND the PS2 version (long story)! WARNING: the Xbox version does NOT have a widescreen 16:9 mode!!!!!! Only the PS2 version has the widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio option. So I was quick to exchange the Xbox copy for the PS2 copy.
Oh, this'll be good.

Zer0

Banned
DarienA said:
I spent some time with this game last night... the opening difficulty determination sequence, the anderson escape sequence and the first training sequence that ends with the multiple 4 on 1's and the boss fight.... and I have to say... I'm not sure what all the complaints are about... yet. The combat engine has multiple options so it's not all just triangle, triangle, triangle... between special attacks, focus enhanced regular and specials... and then stun attacks which allow you to do throws or multiple stun attacks which allow you to do group attacks. At the very least the hand to hand engine seems leaps and bounds above ETM. I've heard there are issues with the gun combat system so I'll have to see what the deal is there. The animation is actually better than I expected it to be(though I did detect a few glitches in terms of animation not "connecting" with the opponent at the right distance), the attacks look good, special attacks look good, hand to hand weapon attacks even looked cool. Voice acting is average and the graphics so far are average... I personally thought that it was cool that you could choose to continue to "escape" in the anderson escape sequence(which I did), or you could choose to go back and let yourself be caught(I may restart the game and do that just to see what happens).

Overall the game looks to be about a 7 to me... and that's acceptable.

What IS strange is that apparently(just a quick glance through the credits in the back of the manual) ONLY Laurence Fishburne is doing his in game voice acting? WTF is up with that? That's incredibly retarded.

this game is decent,ppl on this board are trashing for just the sake of it

Zer0

Banned
Leguna said:
TO ALL:

the xbox version have serious framerate problems

WordofGod

Banned
Zer0 said:

You consider a 7 decent ? :lol Are you one of the people who gave the previous matrix game a 9?

Why would anyone want to give shiny money for making two bad games in a row? :lol

DarienA

WordofGod said:
You consider a 7 decent ? :lol Are you one of the people who gave the previous matrix game a 9?

Actually depending on whose 1-10 system you use... yes 7 is decent.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
WordofGod said:
Compared to what? Give me a list of other games that have gotten 7's and that are good.
Many games come to mind, if you look at the Edge magazine scoring list. which considers '5' an average, and anything above it to be (obviously) above average.

I'm not sure I'd give this game a 7 on that scale by what little I've seen and played of it though.

WordofGod

Banned
Marconelly said:
Many games come to mind, if you look at the Edge magazine scoring list.

So Edge is the standard we are using to judge games on? I am pretty sure they will give this game a 3 or 4 then.

DarienA

WordofGod said:
Compared to what? Give me a list of other games that have gotten 7's and that are good.

No I'm not going to get in to the stupid goddamn list game you people seem so fond of playing. Whose definition of good am I going to use? Yours? Mine?

Fuck that.

The fact that we even have to debate wtf a 7 score means in a 1-10 rating system is ridiculous and once again highlights the problem.

Most magazines that use a 1-10 scoring system would say that 7 is average. That's not exactly new news.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
WordofGod said:
So Edge is the standard we are using to judge games on?

DarienA said:
Actually depending on whose 1-10 system you use... yes 7 is decent.

By their scale 7 is at least decent, that's what you asked about, no? I have no idea what Edge will give this game, but from what I've seen that's not what Darien was replying to.

winter

Zer0 said:

IMO this game is absolutely terrible. Every single aspect of the game is seriously flawed.

The controls are completely unintuitive. The lockon has worsened the gunplay that was in EtM. The wonky camera makes all the lockon problems more pronounced. You actually have to holster your guns after you've killed enemies otherwise you're lockoned to the spot on the floor an enemy died. The control problems extend into the melee combat as well simply because the terrible collision detection throws you off so much.

Visually the game is terrible. I love how Agent Smith has pink skin texturing along the roots of his tufts of hair. Also, I love how the game slows down to 12-15 fps for seemingly no reason at all. The animation is literally laughable. Nothing funnier than seeing an enemy slide across the ground 20 feet to grab you and enter a grapple animation. Or better yet, watching Neo in slowmo run up the torso of a non-existent enemy and kick him in his invisible face.

teepo

WordofGod said:
BUt you are wrong. Soul Calibur II is not a 7 and never will be. :lol It's at least a 8.5 or higher. Comparing this Matrix game to Soul Calibur II just shows that I cannot trust your views on game ratings.

Compared to what? Give me a list of other games that have gotten 7's and that are good

WordofGod

Banned
winter said:
IMO this game is absolutely terrible. Every single aspect of the game is seriously flawed.

The controls are completely unintuitive. The lockon has worsened the gunplay that was in EtM. The wonky camera makes all the lockon problems more pronounced. You actually have to holster your guns after you've killed enemies otherwise you're lockoned to the spot on the floor an enemy died. The control problems extend into the melee combat as well simply because the terrible collision detection throws you off so much.

Visually the game is terrible. I love how Agent Smith has pink skin texturing along the roots of his tufts of hair. Also, I love how the game slows down to 12-15 fps for seemingly no reason at all. The animation is literally laughable. Nothing funnier than seeing an enemy slide across the ground 20 feet to grab you and enter a grapple animation. Or better yet, watching Neo in slowmo run up the torso of a non-existent enemy and kick him in his invisible face.

Would you say Matrix is as good as Soul Calibur II?

WordofGod

Banned
teepo said:

SoulCaliber 2:

IGN 8/26/2003 9.2 out of 10 92.0%
Gamespy 8/26/2003 94 out of 100 94.0%
Games Domain 4/7/2003 5 out of 5 100.0%
GameSpot 8/26/2003 8.5 out of 10 85.0%
GamePro 8/26/2003 5 out of 5 100.0%
Game Informer 10/1/2003 8.75 out of 10 87.5%
GMR Magazine 8/4/2003 9 out of 10 90.0%
Electronic Gaming Monthly 7/24/2003 9.66 out of 10 96.6%
Game Zone 9/2/2003 9.5 out of 10 95.0%
Game Revolution 9/9/2003 A- 90.0%

It's not a 7 and never will be. :lol

Jerkface

Banned
StoOgE said:
gamesworld.jpg

Man, Im so fucking cool. Just look at this Bandana. I'd like to see Romero pull this off.

That ISN'T the Dave Perry from Shiny, that's Dave "Games Animal" Perry who is a British journalist that is most famous for nearly crying on TV when he lost a challenge on Mario 64 during his time on Gamesmaster.

WordofGod

Banned
teepo said:
the christian review is the only review that matter. it's the word of god.

Sorry, that won't fly now that you have been caught comparing Matrix to Soul Caliber 2. Matrix is a horrible game and you know it! :lol

winter

WordofGod said:
Would you say Matrix is as good as Soul Calibur II?

lol no I wouldn't. I'm pretty sure the animation, graphics, and framerate in Soul Edge for PS1 are superior to this game. In his defense, I'm pretty sure the guy that posted the link was joking because it's from a Christian gamers review site. No offense to Christian gamers tho.

teepo

WordofGod said:
Sorry, that won't fly now that you have been caught comparing Matrix to Soul Caliber 2. Matrix is a horrible game and you know it! :lol

i feel sorry for you if you ranted or bought this game because you're jaded as fuck.

WordofGod

Banned
teepo said:
i feel sorry for you if you ranted or bought this game because you're jaded as fuck.

I don't need to buy this game to know it's horrible. I trust many gamers on this forum to tell me how bad it really is and suffer for the good of the board. :lol

teepo

WordofGod said:
I don't need to buy this game to know it's horrible. I trust many gamers on this forum to tell me how bad it really is and suffer for the good of the board. :lol

pc gamers aren't the ones to trust.

Top Bottom