• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel going street level w/ Netflix (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
A Punisher show would be cool, but yeah I kind of agree with The Kree. It would be weird having the sole focus be on the dude who fucking murders people left and right.

That being said, (DD S2 spoilers)
The way stuff ended with Punisher at the end of season 2 shows a pretty clear open door for more Netflix punishing.

No, it isn't. Ratings for Carter S2 were abysmal, and last week SHIELD went below a 1.0 for the first time in the series' history.

They almost always gain half their viewers in the +3.
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2016/03/18/broadcast-live-3-ratings-march-7-13-2016/

In the +7, it jumps even more:
http://www.spoilertv.com/2016/02/live7-dvr-ratings-week-18-18th-jan-24th.html

Yes, I know, blah blah advertisers, blah blah Nielsen. But the viewers are there. And the rumors that Carter are getting renewed keep persisting.

woolley

I don't really see how a Punisher show would even work. It's not like he is a person that would talk things out. He's just a guy that would go around murfering a bunch of people, there isn't really much room for development unless he would get a love interest or something but i don't know how that would really work either.

obin_gam

I don't really see how a Punisher show would even work. It's not like he is a person that would talk things out. He's just a guy that would go around murfering a bunch of people, there isn't really much room for development unless he would get a love interest or something but i don't know how that would really work either.

Focus on the criminals and from their POV.

jmood88

I'm more interested in seeing him interact with other heroes than seeing him on a solo show.

You throw in another character to bounce off of. Frequently, it's a cop of some sort. They do all the emoting while the Punisher gets to be a badass. Think Moby Dick, Ahab is the real focus, but Ishmael is your point of view.

The last two Punisher runs have gone that route.

fanboi

Banned
After watching all Jessica Jones and all Daredevil I have to say (spoiler for both)
that Killgrave is by far the most powerful villan... if he was present in Daredevil he could just say to Nabo 'stop it, jump down the hole' bam done. No one comes Close.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
They almost always gain half their viewers in the +3.
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2016/03/18/broadcast-live-3-ratings-march-7-13-2016/

In the +7, it jumps even more:
http://www.spoilertv.com/2016/02/live7-dvr-ratings-week-18-18th-jan-24th.html

Yes, I know, blah blah advertisers, blah blah Nielsen. But the viewers are there. And the rumors that Carter are getting renewed keep persisting.

All the other shows gain a lot of viewers in the +3s and +7s, too. SHIELD is still doing relatively poorly compared to other shows — most relevantly, at ABC, where there are seven shows with better ratings (and two that are tied with SHIELD but probably cost less to produce).

Zekes!

After watching all Jessica Jones and all Daredevil I have to say (spoiler for both)
that Killgrave is by far the most powerful villan... if he was present in Daredevil he could just say to Nabo 'stop it, jump down the hole' bam done. No one comes Close.

That's if
Killgrave's power would even work on Nobu. There's a lot of mystical shit going on, wouldn't be a stretch if they said it doesn't because ________.

Fuchsdh

I guess that solves the Nobu issue too. How the hell is he gonna' climb out of that deep a hole? :p

All the other shows gain a lot of viewers in the +3s and +7s, too. SHIELD is still doing relatively poorly compared to other shows — most relevantly, at ABC, where there are seven shows with better ratings (and two that are tied with SHIELD but probably cost less to produce).

And all it means is that Live viewership from Nielsen means much less than it did in the past. Every show gains, even scifi shows like AoS and Lucifer.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Yup. I wouldn't completely discount it. Punishers reception has been great.

The MCU Tv stuff is all doing pretty well. I could see Carter getting 1 more series that deals with the formation of Shield.

Punisher should be leading a second wave of Netflix shows with new characters after defenders.

Yes. Give me Blade Netflix Series.

No, it isn't. Ratings for Carter S2 were abysmal, and last week SHIELD went below a 1.0 for the first time in the series' history.

I was talking about more than just ratings. I see neither of those shows not getting renewed either Marvel and the networks seem to willing to keep them around despite viewing figures.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
And all it means is that Live viewership from Nielsen means much less than it did in the past. Every show gains, even scifi shows like AoS and Lucifer.

Right, every show gains, which means it doesn't really matter that SHIELD gained a ratings point to go above its live 0.9 rating — it's still doing poorly when compared with other shows on TV, and particularly on its own network of ABC, because they all gained a ratings point or so in Live + 3. And since it's doing poorly when compared with other shows, it's not likely to continue past the fourth season, which means it's not doing well.

Look at it another way: In the March 8 episode, SHIELD pulled a 1.8 with 5.25 million total viewers in Live + 3. But a year ago, SHIELD was averaging a 2.3 rating with 6.8 million total viewers — a 22% drop in ratings and 23% drop in total viewers year on year. And its live rating for its March 3, 2015, episode was a 1.6, which is almost what it's pulling in Live + 3 now. Its March 22, 2016, episode's 0.9 represents a 44% drop in live ratings in about a year.

Not to mention that its ratings last year weren't spectacular to begin with.

Right, every show gains, which means it doesn't really matter that SHIELD gained a ratings point to go above its live 0.9 rating — it's still doing poorly when compared with other shows on TV, and particularly on its own network of ABC, because they all gained a ratings point or so in Live + 3. And since it's doing poorly when compared with other shows, it's not likely to continue past the fourth season, which means it's not doing well.

Look at it another way: In the March 8 episode, SHIELD pulled a 1.8 with 5.25 million total viewers in Live + 3. But a year ago, SHIELD was averaging a 2.3 rating with 6.8 million total viewers — a 22% drop in ratings and 23% drop in total viewers year on year. And its live rating for its March 3, 2015, episode was a 1.6, which is almost what it's pulling in Live + 3 now. Its March 22, 2016, episode's 0.9 represents a 44% drop in live ratings in about a year.

Not to mention that its ratings last year weren't spectacular to begin with.

Still got a 4th Season. Which probably means a 5th Season for syndication.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Cancel Daredevil and Jessica Jones, make Moon Knight and Punisher
SeemsGood.png

Pretty much.

Blade season 1

Power man and iron fist/ heroes for hire season 1

Jessica jones season 2-

Dare devil season 3

Punisher season 1

Defenders season 2

There you go.

Close but no cigar.

Defenders S1

Punisher S1

Blade S1

Daredevil S3

Heroes for Hire S1

Moon Knight S1

Punisher S2 (Ghost rider intro)

Marvel Knights

TheFlow

Banned
Close but no cigar.

Defenders S1

Punisher S1

Blade S1

Daredevil S3

Heroes for Hire S1

Moon Knight S1

Punisher S2 (Ghost rider intro)

Marvel Knights
Not sure if they are willing to go big on Ghost rider, but yea a Marvel Knights would make more sense if they bring in Moon knight and or give punisher his own show.

lupinko

Killgrave's power can be beaten by strong will. That's how it was broken in the comics and even on JJ.

That's why he couldn't do jack shit to Dr. Doom and why Green Lanterns would just laugh at his purple ass.

XAL

Killgrave's power can be beaten by strong will. That's how it was broken in the comics and even on JJ.

That's why he couldn't do jack shit to Dr. Doom and why Green Lanterns would just laugh at his purple ass.

I thought it was primarily from constant exposure to the point where she formed a tolerance that eventually built up into an immunity.

fanboi

Banned

Yes, but no character so far is near Dr Doom and Green Lanterns in power... I mean, maybe Fisk would be able to resist due to him being him.

The problem with Agents of Shield is that the show's quality took a dive again this season. Season 1 was bad until the Winter Soldier twist, season 2 was great and kept me at the edge of my seat. Season 3 is bland and boring, full of uninteresting storylines and characters. I gave up.

Edit: There were a few standout episodes in the first half of the season but still, the drop in quality from S2 is very noticeable.

After Defenders I really hope they look into more mini-series or at least more flexible season counts. As I've said before, I felt that Jessica Jones (and to a lesser extent even Daredevil) suffered from the 13 episode count. Cutting down seasons to 12, 10 or even 8 as they see fit would make for stronger narratives and allow them to give the spotlight to some less popular characters.

eastx

After Defenders I really hope they look into more mini-series or at least more flexible season counts. As I've said before, I felt that Jessica Jones (and to a lesser extent even Daredevil) suffered from the 13 episode count. Cutting down seasons to 12, 10 or even 8 as they see fit would make for stronger narratives and allow them to give the spotlight to some less popular characters.

On the other hand, Daredevil Season 2's mini-arcs that all contribute to an overall arc has been working really well. But I'll repeat my own wish, that they'd just work in standalone episodes when the main plot can't stretch far enough to fill out a season.

Jessica Henwick To Play Colleen Wing In Marvel's Iron Fist

http://mcuexchange.com/jessica-henwick-to-play-colleen-wing-in-marvels-iron-fist/

The announcement of Misty Knight as part of Luke Cage’s solo Netflix outing has continued to prove the format a very viable staging ground for some of Marvel’s best-loved, lower-tier superheroes. Now, fellow Daughter of the Dragon and best mate Colleen Wing prepares to enter the fray in the form of Jessica Henwick. According to Entertainment Weekly, Henwick is the latest to join the growing cast list for Iron Fist, the fourth and final pre-Defenders Netflix show due to be released sometime in 2017.

Jessica Henwick has landed the coveted role of martial arts expert Colleen Wing in the Netflix series. A martial arts expert running her own dojo, Colleen will serve as an invaluable ally to Iron Fist, aka Danny Rand (Finn Jones), as he returns to his life in New York.

Henwick is the second person – and second Thrones actor – cast in the upcoming action drama. Jones plays the imprisoned knight Ser Loras Tyrell on the HBO drama.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom