• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about Marvel on Netflix / Iron Fist: Season 2 releases this Friday

There are definitely some aspects of the Netflix Marvel shows that could have been better, but overall, I'm pretty happy with the quality of all of them. Which are some of your favorites?

Daredevil - The first, and still one of the best. Kingpin and the Punisher are definitely highlights. Electra (both character and actress) is also great, but I didn't think her episodes were as strong.

Jessica Jones - I thought the second season was especially good, although it did take some turns that I didn't care for. Definitely interested in seeing where they go from there.

Luke Cage - I hated Dimondback's character. That whole second half of the first season was bad. It seems I'm not alone in that opinion, but everything else was pretty darn good. I'm also happy that Misty Knight will be appearing in the other shows. That makes sense, and she's a good character.

Iron Fist - The moodiness of Danny in season 1 was just embarrassing, and detracted from an otherwise likable character. Some interesting plot development throughout the first season, though. Had some of the fastest pacing of any of these shows, and in a good way.

The Punisher - Really solid throughout, although it took a couple episodes to get moving. The guy who plays the Punisher is just perfect for that role. Only one season so far, but probably the strongest season of any of these shows.

The Defenders - Better than I expected, and had more plot developments than I anticipated. It was cool to see Sigourney Weaver in it as well.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I hope there is some impact and less sloppy ballet in it. It was just a whine fest and horrible choreography compared to the other shows in their stable.

kunonabi

Jessica Jones season 2 is probably my favorite followed by Luke Cage season 2.
Daredevil season 1 was solid but the 2nd season was garbage outside of the earlier Punisher stuff.

I thought The Punisher was bloody awful since the whole show was mostly a complete rejection of the character but it's probably the most well made of any of the Netflix shows.

I liked Iron Fist well enough. It doesn't really have any extreme highs or lows to really create an intense reaction one way or the other. If the writing and choreography can improve for season 2 it could be really special since I like the cast.

Defenders was pure trash and they need to just cut bait with Elektra ASAP.

Cloak and Dagger was better than all of them.

I like all these shows. All have their merits. I give a slight edge to the Jessica Jones Season 1. I had no expectations and really ended up enjoying the character. Danny Rand isn't as bad as everyone makes him seem in the first season. I have high hopes for season 2.

Let's hope Marvel brings us the Daywalker.
b3f167d1a31d7c28a40250a3fa81641c3140ddea.jpg

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Solid analysis op, I think once they give Danny Two iron fists like they showed in the history tapes he’ll do some damage.

Fbh

They are decent but not great. Kinda wish they would make less of them but give them a higher budget. Half the locations tend to look like the cheapest empty warehouse they could rent. Jessica Jones for example, particularly in Season 2, had some cheap as hell effects, like zero budget student project tier.
Also all of them need to be like 3-4 chapter shorter.

From the ones I've seen:

Good:
Daredevil S1
Jessica Jones S1
Punisher

Ok:
Luke Cage S1
Daredevil S2
Jessica Jones S1
Defenders

Bad:
Iron Fist S1

Haven't seen Luke Cage S2 and I won't watch Iron Fist S2

MightyKAC

Luke Cage S2 to me was like the exact opposite of S1.

Weak opening act, solid middle and excellent final.

I was REALLY close to giving up on it in the beginning but I'm glad I finished it because the last episode in particular was pretty dope.

i stopped watching around dd season 2 and luke cage season 1. one thing about daredevil was i always imagined him more like ninja like. the wallway fight scenes are cool but i dont know id never think daredevil would just fight like just head on and take a more stealthy batman approach. that shit always rubbed me the wrong way how they portrait him and how he actually does shit.

Melubas

I've watched Daredevil seasons 1 and 2 (liked it), Jessica Jones season 1 (shit), Luke Cage season 1 (one of the worst tv-series I've ever seen) and The Punisher season 1 (the good episodes were kind of cool, but it was way too long, should have been like eight or nine episodes). I've come to the conclusions that the Netflix Marvel series is just not for me so I'll not watch any more. They always do 13 episodes which is way too many for the plots they've had so far. Some, especially Luke Cage, is just laughably bad, could just be that they're trying to go overboard with the campiness and I'm not getting it, but I hated it. This is sad, since I love the Marvel universe and I really want to like these things! I'm so jealous of those of you that do.

Sygma

iron fist was bad, defenders was bad, luke cage s2 was bad, dd s2 was bad. Not hoping anything about iron fist s2 and will most likely wait for dd s3 since it has bullseye and whatnot

Geki-D

Banned
Not sure I can stomach more Iron Fist after that first season. Not really sure I can take any more Netflix Marvel stuff actually. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING that's came out after S1 of Luke Cage (and the second half of that wasn't great) has been a terrible, poorly written bore-fest.

pel1300

Daredevil season 1: Great. Also at the time...the TV shows felt like there was a chance the netflix characters could end up in the movies....I was so excited about Vincent's portrayal of Wilson Fisk as a villain in an MCU Spider-man movie.

Daredevil Season 2 episodes 1-5. Jon Bernthal as the Punisher is awesome.

Punisher Season 1: Just awesome. It's like an R rated Jason Bourne TV series. And it gets better towards the end.

Luke Cage season 1, just the first half. Cottonmouth was a great villain.

After that, the rest of the Marvel Netflix hasn't really grabbed me.

I can't wait for Daredevil season 3 and Punisher season 2...what is taking so long for a release date announcement?

kunonabi

Enjoyed the second season of Iron Fist up until the bullshit ending. Looks like I'm skipping Iron Fist and Punisher now.

Liked DD season 1 and 2. Punisher was great in s2.

Enjoyed Punisher then of course.

Iron Fist - I hated the preview for this but then found myself enjoying it once I watched it.

Luke Cage - The first half of the first season is better than Iron Fist but then the rest of the season is just unwatchable. Has turned me away from checking out season 2.

Jessica Jones - Just could not get into it. Didn't seem to know what it wanted to be.

My rankings are how I listed them with Defenders in the middle. Iron Fist being better than expected and Luke Cage suffering the most from the Marvel Netflix problem of too many episodes.

brian0057

Banned
The true ranking:

1) Daredevil. Both seasons.
2) Jessica Jones. Season 1
3) The Defenders
4) Iron Fist. Season 1.
5) The Punisher. Season 1.
6) Iron Fist. Season 2.
7) Luke Cage. Season 1.

I haven't seen the second seasons of Jessica Jones and Luke Cage nor do I plan to.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Both seasons of Daredevil and Punisher were great.

I couldn’t survive more than 3 episodes of Iron Fist.

Marvel stuff on Netflix has really nice production quality, but at the end of the day (like anything) it has to not suck and doesn’t get an automatic pass because it’s Marvel.

I think if anything the Netflix series go to show how masterful the MCU is. Being a Marvel property clearly doesn’t mean “instant quality” and yet just about every movie they’ve made has been top notch entertainment.

Kadayi

Banned
Been watching Iron Fist Season 2. It's definitely a step up from Season 1 in terms of Danny's characterisation and the fights are much better, but I wouldn't say I'm gripped by it yet. Mayhap it will pick up towards the end like Luke Cage Season 2 did.

Last edited:

Weiji

Banned
Daredevil - Solid first season, solid second season, Electra was... just ok. S1 B+ S2 B

Jessica Jones - Mediocre, cool idea for a Villain, bad execution S1 C-

Iron Fist - horrible, didn’t finish. S1 D-

Luke Cage - First Half Amazing, second half trash. S1 A+/D

Punisher - Surprisingly boring, man that actor is perfect. They really messed this up, but I still want more. S1 C+

Defenders - Didn’t even watch it, these shows aren’t good enough for me to care.

Top Bottom