• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel going street level w/ Netflix (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cartman86

Banned
Marvel's Daredevil Season 1 - Season 2 March 18th
Marvel's Jessica Jones Season 1 - Season 2 Coming Soon
Marvel's Luke Cage - 2016
Marvel's Iron Fist - TBD
Marvel's The Defenders - TBD

UPDATE 11:
David Tennant will play Zebediah Killgrave in AKA Jessica Jones
rhqRiGdl.jpg

UPDATE 10:
April 10th, 2015 is the day all of Daredevil will be released on Netflix.
iY1hKcI.jpg

Also the show may stream in "4K" if this tweet be DeKnight is any indication. Not a surprise since House of Cards did the same thing.

UPUDATE 9:
A.K.A Jessica Jones will be 13 episodes and arrive in 2015.

After a tragic ending to her short-lived super hero stint, Jessica Jones is rebuilding her personal life and career as a detective who gets pulled into cases involving people with extraordinary abilities in New York City.
Two leads have been cast.

Krysten Ritter - Jessica Jones
oa7e5v5.jpg

Mike Colter - Luke Cage
Sk49081.jpg

UPDATE 8:
Netflix page for the show is up and at the NY Comic-Con panel they talked about the show, showed some footage, and here are the first official photos!

SDVxI0w.jpg

rv6egea.jpg

The influence
ktz6BH1.jpg

542ed48348f71.jpg

UPDATE 7:
Daredevil is filming right now with this confirmed cast for a 13 episode May 2015 release

Charlie Cox - Matt Murdock
Rosario Dawson - Unknown
Vincent D'Onofrio - Wilson Fisk (Kingpin)
Elden Henson - Foggy Nelson
Deborah Ann Woll - Karen Page

UPDATE 6:
TK05kdu.jpg

Charlie Cox (Stardust, Boardwalk Empire) will play Daredevil. Will probably start shooting in the next couple months.
http://variety.com/2014/digital/new...-tv-series-for-marvel-and-netflix-1201194139/

UPDATE 5:
Steven S. DeKnight another Buffy alum. Recently noteworthy for the better than it had any right to be Spartacus is taking over as Showrunner. Goddard will stay on in a more limited role as executive producer for the show as he will be busy with Sinister Six.
http://marvel.com/news/tv/2014/5/24/22578/steven_s_deknight_joins_marvels_daredevil

UPDATE 4:
Drew Goddard who was planned to direct and write the first episode of Daredevil along with running the show has apparently departed the project. Unconfirmed at this point, but I would guess probably true.
http://www.latino-review.com/news/exclusive-drew-goddard-has-left-marvels-daredevil

UPDATE 3:
http://www.thewrap.com/disney-film-marvel-netflix-series-nyc-gov-cuomo-bob-iger-announce/

Netfilx series to consist of 60 one hour episodes, to film in New York City.

Will "air" over multiple years.

UPDATE 2:
More and more info keeps coming out about the creatives behind these shows. This time who is in charge of Jessica Jones

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/melissa-rosenberg-oversee-marvels-jessica-655571

Melissa Rosenberg will write and produce a series based on Marvel's Jessica Drew character for Netflix, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed. Rosenberg will serve as a writer and executive producer.

Rosenberg, screenwriter for the Twilight films, was tapped years ago to develop AKA Jessica Jones, a drama revolving around the Marvel hero at ABC, but the series never materialized. Rosenberg most recently ran ABC's Red Widow.

Marvel seems to keep sticking to their guns with this stuff even if it takes a while. I wonder if that Hulk show will ever happen. Seems unlikely with Del Tero going with DC right now. Can't really blame her for Twilight. Their wasn't much to the source material.

UPDATE 1:
- THR: 'Lost,' 'Buffy' Alum to Write, Run Disney's Netflix Drama 'Daredevil'
Drew Goddard is in final negotiations to write and serve as showrunner on the new take on the Marvel Comics hero.

Disney and Netflix have found their man for Daredevil.

Lost and Buffy the Vampire Slayer alum Drew Goddard is in final negotiations to write and serve as showrunner on the 13-episode series, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed.

Representatives for Goddard, Netflix and Marvel declined comment.

Netflix has committed to four 13-episode series based on Marvel Comics characters including Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist and Luke Cage. Daredevil is the first series and it's expected to begin streaming in 2015 before all four shows lead in to a miniseries based on The Defenders.

Goddard's credits include ABC's Lost and Alias, as well as Buffy and its spinoff, Angel. On the big screen, his credits also include Brad Pitt zombie drama World War Z and he directed The Cabin in the Woods, where he reteamed with Joss Whedon, a Marvel staple with both The Avengers features and comics including X-Men and more.

ORIGINAL POST:

Holy shit.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/11/disney-netflix-marvel-series/

Press release

BURBANK, Calif., Nov. 7, 2013 – The Walt Disney Co. (NYSE: DIS) and Netflix Inc. (NASDAQ: NFLX) today announced an unprecedented deal for Marvel TV to bring multiple original series of live-action adventures of four of Marvel’s most popular characters exclusively to the world’s leading Internet TV Network beginning in 2015. This pioneering agreement calls for Marvel to develop four serialized programs leading to a miniseries programming event.

Led by a series focused on “Daredevil,” followed by “Jessica Jones,” “Iron Fist” and “Luke Cage,” the epic will unfold over multiple years of original programming, taking Netflix members deep into the gritty world of heroes and villains of Hell’s Kitchen, New York. Netflix has committed to a minimum of four, thirteen episodes series and a culminating Marvel’s “The Defenders” mini-series event that reimagines a dream team of self-sacrificing, heroic characters.

Produced by Marvel Television in association with ABC Television Studios, this groundbreaking deal is Marvel’s most ambitious foray yet into live-action TV storytelling.

“This deal is unparalleled in its scope and size, and reinforces our commitment to deliver Marvel’s brand, content and characters across all platforms of storytelling. Netflix offers an incredible platform for the kind of rich storytelling that is Marvel’s specialty,” said Alan Fine, President of Marvel Entertainment. “This serialized epic expands the narrative possibilities of on-demand television and gives fans the flexibility to immerse themselves how and when they want in what’s sure to be a thrilling and engaging adventure.”

“Marvel’s movies, such as ‘Iron Man’ and Marvel’s ‘The Avengers’, are huge favorites on our service around the world. Like Disney, Marvel is a known and loved brand that travels,” said Netflix Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos. “With ‘House of Cards’ and our other original series, we have pioneered new approaches to storytelling and to global distribution and we’re thrilled to be working with Disney and Marvel to take our brand of television to new levels with a creative project of this magnitude.”

This new original TV deal follows last year’s landmark movie distribution deal through which, beginning with 2016 theatrically released feature films, Netflix will be the exclusive U.S. subscription television service for first-run, live-action and animated movies from the Walt Disney Studios, including titles from Disney, Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pixar Animation Studios, Marvel Studios, Disneynature and Lucasfilm. Netflix members can currently enjoy a wide range of Disney, ABC TV and Disney Channel films and shows across the 41 countries where Netflix operates.

EDIT: So to recap. 4 shows. Each show focusing on New York based characters who exist in a more gritty side of the Marvel universe. Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, and Luke Cage. At minimum 13 episodes each. All of which will culminate in "The Defenders". A mini-series. All of it begins in 2015. This sounds like a "Road to the Avengers", but for TV. Very interesting.

I fully expect that Shield will continue to be the flagship for the foreseeable future in regards to getting more explicate connections to the films. Hell, maybe next sweeps they will get Downey or someone in. The possible audience for Shield is far higher than Netflix at this point. It's probably better for these shows though. Might give them more room to breath. It kind of sucks that Shield had to be a network show. Or at least a standard old fashioned mainstream network show. There are network shows that are equal or better than subscription or cable (The Good Wife).
This was just a way for me to reference The Good Wife.

Azih

Netflix *killing it*.

New York without spiderman is :(, but it might work really really well. The other heroes deal more with crime while Spiderman runs around dealing with his animal buddies.

Tucah

you speak so well
These are fantastic choices for shows (I can't even begin to explain how excited I am for Luke Cage and Iron Fist series), 2015 is going to be a fantastic year for Marvel.

yami4ct

Daredevil getting his own show is awesome. Cannot wait. Fits the others well as well. It's a great, lower risk way of introducing these "lower tier" heroes to the general public.

This is absolutely killer for netflix, though. Wow. They must have coughed up a ton of cash to get these. I'm surprised Disney would agree, honestly, as netflix making original shows competes with ABC. I guess the fact that ABC has limited primetime space, and this means netflix is paying up and taking the risk that these shows will flop would make a pretty compelling argument.

Cannot wait.

JoeBoy101

Yeah, sign me up.

Marvel continuing to show that they have their shit completely together, at least when it comes to TV/Film.

As a quick side note, my vote for Luke Cage.

And, be still my heart, does that mean Netflix might go all Thomas Jane with a Punisher TV show? Please?

yami4ct

Could be awesome, but what are the chances these will be any good?

It all depends on who they grab for writers and show runners. Marvel has been typically really good about getting the right people to make their stuff. The only really worrying thing is how long it's taking Agents of SHIELD to find its footing. Their TV track record is far from stellar so far. I have hope, though, given that Netflix wants to make shows in the HBO style rather than something that would show on a network. Hopefully, that means they'll grab talented people to make these.

Blader

damn, the only downside to this is that it means that Immortal Iron Fist movie is definitely dead.

(Unless they still use the same material for the tv series too? Not sure if that's possible on a Netflix budget though)

Aiii

So not worth it
Netflix Original Programming strategy is about the best thing to come out of TV in the past decade or so. Looking forward to this.

Effect

I'm going to be forced to get Netflix now it seems. Damn you Disney for finally playing the Luke Cage and Jessica Jones card (please tell me they're still married in the comics). :( Unless these will get dvd releases.

Atrophis

Well fuck me this is amazing. Love Daredevil. Luke Cage is boss. Finishing with a team based show. So good (hopefully).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom