• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT8| Eldritch Moon - It's only a paper (and digital) moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people were wondering how soon the State of Design lessons could be applied, but Kaladesh will already feature fewer mechanics than SOI and BFZ.
aaronlovesmtg asked: Is it too early to get a hint as to how many mechanics there are total in Kaladesh?

Less than either Battle for Zendikar or Shadows over Innistrad. Following the lessons I talked about in today’s “State of Design” column, we opted to go more in depth on fewer mechanics.

Ashodin

Chandra. The blood surging hot through her freckled cheeks, the sharp, swift movements of her hands. They'd moved like birds. Nissa fed birds sometimes, in the garden. They would peer at the seeds cupped in her hand, hungry and needing, but fluttered off when she moved the wrong way. She'd moved the wrong way, and Chandra had flown.

538.jpg

El Topo

Reading the comments at Reddit, I'm baffled how many people don't seem to understand that harassing another person is a no-go. This is something that should not have to be explained to anyone.

Hero

Can't say I'm unhappy about Ali being punished but hopefully he learns and grows from this mistake. Pretty ridiculous that one of their core values is community for all, didn't even know that. Good on TCGplayer.

I'm torn, because on the one hand Ali (in my opinion) is genuinely remorseful and going above-and-beyond trying to make things right. He didn't release some half-hearted non-apology - he legitimately owned up to what he did, with no excuses, and spread it to the widest audience he could (TCGPlayer says they wouldn't publish his apology piece, so Facebook is basically the only outlet he had left - and honestly, since Facebook intersects with facets of our life outside of work and hobbies, it probably opened him up to many additional angles of scrutiny than if he had just posted to TCGPlayer). And instead of trying to ride this wave and turn it into a positive force for change in the community, it seems people are more interested in spiraling downward and wallowing in the controversy. It's pretty clear to me that Amanda never really wanted an apology - she wanted revenge with interest, and I can't support that.

But on the other hand: what the fuck dude - who says that kind of thing to a total stranger? Like, what did you expect would happen?

I'm torn, because on the one hand Ali (in my opinion) is genuinely remorseful and going above-and-beyond trying to make things right. He didn't release some half-hearted non-apology - he legitimately owned up to what he did, with no excuses, and spread it to the widest audience he could (TCGPlayer says they wouldn't publish his apology piece, so Facebook is basically the only outlet he had left - and honestly, since Facebook intersects with facets of our life outside of work and hobbies, it probably opened him up to many additional angles of scrutiny than if he had just posted to TCGPlayer). And instead of trying to ride this wave and turn it into a positive force for change in the community, it seems people are more interested in spiraling downward and wallowing in the controversy. It's pretty clear to me that Amanda never really wanted an apology - she wanted revenge with interest, and I can't support that.

But on the other hand: what the fuck dude - who says that kind of thing to a total stranger? Like, what did you expect would happen?
Why is it that people doing insensitive or blatant harassment are supposed to spread the message of their offense? That was the same kind of language used in that recent rape trial where the guy was let off with a slap on the wrist.
Showing that you can insist to the TO and or head judge to provide a safe environment is also a positive.

Antrazi seemingly did take it to heart, same as when he played those two lands a turn and you can be fairly certain this won't happen again. It sucks he effectively lost his dayjob but that's on TCGplayer not Amanda.

OnPoint

Agreed in full.

red13th

Why is it that people doing insensitive or blatant harassment are supposed to spread the message of their offense? That was the same kind of language used in that recent rape trial where the guy was let off with a slap on the wrist.
Showing that you can insist to the TO and or head judge to provide a safe environment is also a positive.

Antrazi seemingly did take it to heart, same as when he played those two lands a turn and you can be fairly certain this won't happen again. It sucks he effectively lost his dayjob but that's on TCGplayer not Amanda.

...blaming the victim? I guess I'm no longer in this discussion sorry.

hermit7

It was a shitty thing to do, any punishment that accrues will be the result of his doing.

All these things about him being upstanding are irrelevant, because what he did was vile. His complaining about it being his main source of income and how he supports his family to gain some sort of sympathy makes me a little disgusted. If he had the foresight to think of his family in the first place then maybe he wouldn't have made inappropriate comments.

Sexual harassment is exactly that sexual harassment, regardless of the victims feelings (her apparent desire for some sort of revenge) and peoples opinions of that. If you sexually harass someone in a professional environment the same sort of repercussions are going to come out, loss of income and difficulty in finding future employment.

MrDoctor

looking at spending ~$200 on a jhoira edh deck and it still doesn't feel like enough. i think i have passed the point of no return.

There needs to be more equipment enablers than one card for that to happen.

There's plenty already. The one guy that draws you cards and lords, and the cohort guy. I've run builds of it that are on par with humans but use non-rotating cards. What it really wants is stronger equipment, and it seems like that's coming.

OnPoint

It just sucks in every regard.

Antrazi was wrong. No excuses. I don't think anyone is disagreeing with that. Once you acknowledge that, then the waters get murky.

It all becomes a matter of personal opinion at this point. I know that if this happened to me, I wouldn't be pushing for more punishment, given Antrazi's apparent (and I believe honest) regret. I would work with him to find a way to use this situation for future education and try to prevent incidents of similar situations. You know, turn someone who was once ignorant into an advocate and ally, making something positive out of something negative.

I'm really excited about this set, I haven't felt this way about a setting since Tarkir.

Particularly, I want to see how they handle Kaladesh's Green mana in regards to artifice. I'm hoping we get some crazy Simic stuff again.

Daedardus

Maro has finally confirmed that Mechanic E is in Kaladesh. Can't wait to see what that's all about.

Vedalken Inventor 3U
Creature - Vedalken
Other Vedalken creatures you control get +0/+1 and have hexproof.
Whenever a Vedalken would assemble an Invention, it assembles two Inventions instead.
1/3

Santiako

Okay, I'm behind on this. What's mechanic E?
A we know is that it was a mechanic originally designed for the original Mirrodin set, and that it uses a special symbol (like tap, mana costs, etc do).

He's mentioned it several times over the years as something he really wanted to put on a set, and we will finally see it in Kaladesh.

Oh shit, somehow I missed this yesterday:

ANNOUNCEMENT DAY IS COMING!
August 31, 2016
Last May, we held the first Magic Announcement Day, wherein we announced a slate of upcoming new expansions and ways to play. During that announcement, we teased that the very next Announcement Day would be coming in September. Well, we were off by a Day. Announcement Day—which will include announcements for the next block as Well as supplementary sets and products into 2017—will be this Wednesday, August 31. Look for it right here on DailyMTG.

Announcement Day is tomorrow! Even before we learn about Kaladesh we get to hear about a whole 'nother block and set of products! AAAAA.

Last chance, everyone: before we get spoiled on it, put in your last guesses: what will we see next year? I'm gonna go with:

• Kaldheim, a top-down Viking block
  • Modern Masters 3
  • Planechase 3
  • Some dumb FTV and DD or something, idgaf

Okay, I'm behind on this. What's mechanic E?

Years ago, Rosewater did a theme article about letters. One thing he did was list what each letter meant in R&D terms. Most of them fell into two categories: either they represented a symbol that appears on cards, or a frame type that represented a color or card type. However, one, the letter "E," had the following:

"Used to represent a mechanic in Mirrodin that got cut during design. R&D likes it and we plan to find a home for it someday. (In fact, it's shown up in at least one other design.)"

(We later learned that it was cut in part because it took up a lot of card and mind space in the set, and was replaced with Entwine.)

Since then, we heard later that they tried this mechanic in Esper, then that it was being tentatively tested in a future block, then that Kaladesh was bringing back a mechanic Maro had been trying to get into sets for ages (which a 2003 mechanic like E matched up to), and then now finally we got it confirmed.

There's been a lot of speculation about what this mechanic is, since normally any keyword mechanic would just be represented by a code keyword. The fact that it's a letter means it must be a visual element of the card, and one that can't properly be conveyed using a word -- so almost certainly a symbol of some kind. (The same article referred to a mechanic called "Q," which turned out to be the untap symbol from Shadowmoor.) It really seemed to line up that the colorless mana symbol in OGW was "E," but that was confirme to be incorrect, so... now we're still not sure what this will actually look like.

Crocodile

Maro has finally confirmed that Mechanic E is in Kaladesh. Can't wait to see what that's all about.

Vroom, vroom party starter

zEwGR.gif

Predicted it would be Kaladesh super early, predicted it would be Mechanic E super early, haters to the left.

I've seen a few people argue E might be in Kaladesh but I don't think I've seen anyone argue against it. The strongest anti-E position I've seen is "shrug, I dunno - maybe?" Who are these haters?

I've seen a few people argue E might be in Kaladesh but I don't think I've seen anyone argue against it. The strongest anti-E position I've seen is "shrug, I dunno - maybe?" Who are these haters?

If you have to ask....

I don't remember a lot of people arguing against mechanic E, but I do remember pushing it way early on.

Fou-Lu

Where would you guys recommend to start in becoming a better player? Aside from just playing the game a lot, which I do. I guess I want to figure out how to look at things and where I should be looking for information to be better player. I've met a few players who are 'part-time pros' that have jobs and lives but still manage to place well in GPs and PTs, I'd love to be able to get there one day.

Yeef

Where would you guys recommend to start in becoming a better player? Aside from just playing the game a lot, which I do. I guess I want to figure out how to look at things and where I should be looking for information to be better player. I've met a few players who are 'part-time pros' that have jobs and lives but still manage to place well in GPs and PTs, I'd love to be able to get there one day.
The first thing is to make sure you know the game rules (and the tournament rules, if you're looking to compete) very well.

Once you're comfortable there, it's mainly about being self-critical after (and during) every game. Iteration and analysis is the best way to improve at basically everything.

Save up money for the best cards

Santiako

Oh shit, somehow I missed this yesterday:

Announcement Day is tomorrow! Even before we learn about Kaladesh we get to hear about a whole 'nother block and set of products! AAAAA.

Last chance, everyone: before we get spoiled on it, put in your last guesses: what will we see next year? I'm gonna go with:

• Kaldheim, a top-down Viking block
  • Modern Masters 3
  • Planechase 3
  • Some dumb FTV and DD or something, idgaf

Completely random selection of predictions:
-Caribbean based set, with pirates, voodoo, the navy and all that.
-Modern Masters 3
-FTV based on a single plane (Ravnica, Mirrodin or innistrad probably).
-Some sort of official paper cube.

MrDoctor

you first need to know how to evaluate cards for properly building a deck. this is a skill that can be gained gradually simply by asking lots of questions here or elsewhere. mtg salvation is a fantastic resource for researching deck archetypes -- all of them.

i learned how to play card games by losing many initial games of magic. every opponent would explain in detail what was wrong with my deck until i could finally build something that worked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom