• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhriad

Now that it's confirmed, not sure I see the point of the Legendary change on PWs either.

It gives them leeway in printing more versions of the same Planeswalker since now it's no longer, for example, Liliana, the Last Hope OR LotV as to what you can include in your 60 or 100 card list. Superfriends decks can now include different versions of the same Walker without worrying about drawing copies of different versions. Maybe it even helps them push into new design space since they won't have to worry about crowding out all other versions of Jace (or even being crowded out from the start). I'm sure there's some desire in the casual crowd to be able to play decks full of their favorite Planeswalkers. Then there's the streamlining effect it has on the rules themselves that probably makes it easier to grasp for new players.

Zocano

Ya the superfriends type decks get a whole lot more fun with this rule change. I don't mind even if the flavor is weird as fuck.

It's a step they had to take before they can consider banning Workshop.

I mean vs. Sphere of Resistance which all the Shops decks still play but stuff like Eldrazi doesn't.

Stop printing cards that are good with Atraxa. Either that or go back in time and undo her.

Or reprint the 2016 set so it doesn't cost like a hundred bucks to get her deck.

They couldn't make him any more naked?

He's not quite in Angel One territory yet.

s8BSE9Y.jpg

ultron87

I'm glad that I could now walk by a table and it's much more likely to see a Superfriends deck with 20 different Planeswalkers all on the field.

Ok, now not only can a single character be on both your and any number of your opponents' sides at the same time, but two different incarnations of the same character can be on your side at the same time? Who the hell thinks this is a good idea and why heven't they been fired yet?

Hats off to you, Wizards, every time I think you cannot possibly make more rules changes as boneheadedly unacceptable and idiotic as the last bunch and the bunch before that, you outdo yourselves.

Justin

WOTC confirms wording on Hostage Taker was an error.

Matt Tabak
@TabakRules
To (kind of) answer your questions, Hostage Taker won't do what it accidentally appears to do. @EliShffrn will let us know the details soon.

bigkrev

Bah, Maro's article is still not up....

As we observe the Vintage metagame evolve, we also re-evaluate cards already restricted to see if they might be safe to unrestrict. With Vintage, one of our guiding philosophies is to let players play with as many cards as possible—it's the only sanctioned format where cards like the Power Nine and Library of Alexandria are legal, after all. We discussed two cards as candidates for unrestriction: Yawgmoth's Bargain and Windfall. Since these cards were restricted, other more powerful draw engines have been introduced, such as Griselbrand and Paradoxical Outcome.

In this case we've decided to unrestrict Yawgmoth's Bargain as a safer first step. Windfall has a heavy reliance on play versus draw and is pitchable to Force of Will. It would be a greater risk to unrestrict, especially at a time when we are weakening Shops, a natural predator of Storm decks. It's still a card we'll continue discussing in the long term, and we'll be listening to community feedback on that point.

They talked about unrestricting Windfall on the last So Many Insane Plays, but it just seems crazy to do so.
Lol wait seriously even though its also pirate set we're still killing the dinosaurs with a meteor?

en_iq9N1Q3Q1z.png

I'm really surprised this is here and not in Rivals of Ixilan, but its something we are going to see more often now that Sets are self-contained I'm guessing

Ya the superfriends type decks get a whole lot more fun with this rule change. I don't mind even if the flavor is weird as fuck.

I mean, it isn't, really. Legendary has been a net negative on "flavor" since they changed it from the original Legend Rule. It doesn't make any more sense for me to have Kalitas and my opponent to also have Kalitas than for me to have two copies of Kalitas.

It's a deck-building rather than flavor consideration, and it's not creating any interesting choices in deck-building to apply it differently to planeswalkers than other card types.

Santiako

That double faced card looks great. I hate double faced cards, but it still looks great.

No changes for modern is great.

Small Gideon just got so much better, I wonder if I should pick some up.

bigkrev

DIU3oqxVoAAZhzh.jpg

Is this better than Kira in Merfolk? It being a Merfolk means you can run more Caverns and get boosted by lords, but the ability is clearly worse the longer the game goes on

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Stop printing cards that are good with Atraxa. Either that or go back in time and undo her.

First thing that came to mind.

They couldn't make him any more naked? At least give him a shirt to wear on a frickin boat. Now he just looks stupid.

Also this rules change is a huge buff to my Narset Superfriends deck. No more choosing which Ajani or Elspeth to keep.

As if Atraxa is actually a problem

Jhriad

Ok, now not only can a single character be on both your and any number of your opponents' sides at the same time, but two different incarnations of the same character can be on your side at the same time? Who the hell thinks this is a good idea and why heven't they been fired yet?

Hats off to you, Wizards, every time I think you cannot possibly make more rules changes as boneheadedly unacceptable and idiotic as the last bunch and the bunch before that, you outdo yourselves.

As has already been pointed out a few times, this isn't any different than having multiple versions of a legendary creature like Thalia on your board. It cleans the rules up to make it easier for new players to grasp, opens up archetypes and card combinations, appeals to the casual crowd, and likely means Planeswalkers actually retain more value in the long term again because of additional Commander demand.

Maledict

First thing that came to mind.

They couldn't make him any more naked? At least give him a shirt to wear on a frickin boat. Now he just looks stupid.

Also this rules change is a huge buff to my Narset Superfriends deck. No more choosing which Ajani or Elspeth to keep.

Funny thing is to me that Jace doesn't look naked at all. He's got a shoulder showing and a small bit of pectoral. We see more flesh in random female cards everyday.

If we're going to start sexualising male characters then I demand far more skin showing on guys!

bigkrev

Funny thing is to me that Jace doesn't look naked at all. He's got a shoulder showing and a small bit of pectoral. We see more flesh in random female cards everyday.

If we're going to start sexualising male characters then I demand far more skin showing on guys!

Yes. There are several members of this thread avalible for consulting, WOTC!

Or reprint the 2016 set so it doesn't cost like a hundred bucks to get her deck.

He's not quite in Angel One territory yet.

s8BSE9Y.jpg
I was more thinking of Orlando Bloom as Will Turner.
Give us some meat.
33f3acdad42c688498495bdfb40aee17--caribbean-pirates-pirates-of-the-caribbean-will-turner.jpg

As a swashbuckler/sailor he really does look stupid which is a bummer since he's such a differently designed Jace. I wouldn't be surprised if they had the idea for his ult first and changed the rules in part for that.

Honor worn Shaku makes all your PWs into mana dorks now.
As if Atraxa is actually a problem
She's just annoying and will only get so much better over time as wizards love counters.

In the State of Design Maro calls this a "good not great year" for design and says that they "integrated the story too much," so kirblar will be happy.

Also: does sexy Jace change anybody's husbando ranking?

They talked about unrestricting Windfall on the last So Many Insane Plays, but it just seems crazy to do so.

The metagame is just really different these days from when all the Draw 7 stuff was dominating.

The sad part about the Planeswalker Uniqueness Rule change is that it will be just slightly too late for Gideon Tribal in Standard.

"Sad"

DIU3oqxVoAAZhzh.jpg

Is this better than Kira in Merfolk? It being a Merfolk means you can run more Caverns and get boosted by lords, but the ability is clearly worse the longer the game goes on
Since it got leaked it's been a point of great debate among fish players.

Smugglers' Copter shores up Merfolks weakness to flyers which Kira was also great for but this guy doesn't protect copter and the effect is weaker overall.

Tribal Synergies probably make up for it but you usually don't have many of those in the matchups where it and Kira are great.

Not sure if this guy can be used to counter Lightning Storm like Kira either. Don't think so based on the wording.

C'mon, you know Ally of Zendikar deserved one last, dumb hurrah to celebrate all the fuckery he did to Standard during his tenure. Nothing big, just a Grand Prix or something to take a victory lap before he's consigned to history.

(Oh god WotC I'm kidding please don't ever reprint AoZ or a functionally equivalent Elspeth or whatever into Standard.)

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
With the Torpor Orb 1/3 I wonder if there is enough support for a W or GW Hatebears deck in Standard. Aven Mindcensor, Gideon, some cats, maybe Ajani as a topper.

OnPoint

Not sure Sphere was the right call. It'd be a bummer if budget-ish Eldrazi decks got taken out in the crossfire.

Now that it's confirmed, not sure I see the point of the Legendary change on PWs either.

Commander first and foremost?

I also think them functioning like legendary creatures removes some unnecessary complication.

I'm not sure how much complication it removes, but it does at the very least remove an entire (now unnecessary) rule from the game, so that's something.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
In the State of Design Maro calls this a "good not great year" for design and says that they "integrated the story too much," so kirblar will be happy.

Also: does sexy Jace change anybody's husbando ranking?

The metagame is just really different these days from when all the Draw 7 stuff was dominating.

"Sad"
How is jace making anyone's husbando list he looks super gormless and like he's never set foot in a gym. And also his card seems super tame even for a 3 mana Planeswaker.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Carnage Tyrant is the most boring kind of anti control card. Like it's not subtle or anything. It's just huge and has hexproof.

Santiako

Oh fuck I just realised that now Jund/Abzan/Death Shadow decks can play both Lilianas at once. That's going to feel terrible to play against lmao

Angry Grimace

Boy there are some huge fuck-off Dinos in this set for limited.

bigkrev

Carnage Tyrant is the most boring kind of anti control card. Like it's not subtle or anything. It's just huge and has hexproof.

This 100% looks like "we had a way more interesting card here, but we had to kill it 5 minutes before we were sending the set to the printers, so we came up with the safest, most boring replacement we could think of that we knew we didn't have to test"

The article on the card theft mentions that they're adjusting spoiler season so that they'll mainly focus on commons and uncommons, and only 1-3 cards will be revealed each day. Given that, should we go through with making an Ixalan thread for spoiler season? Or maybe delay it until Prerelease? Most of the interesting Ixalan discussion has already happened or will happen this week, after all.

Or as an alternative, we can emergency create a new thread right now.

Bloodcrazed Paladin is going straight in Edgar Markov. That deck baits so many board wipes, being able to drop a casual 10/10+ on 2 mana end of turn after a wrath is going to wreck some folks.

How is the Revel in Riches card art not just Scrooge McDuck money-swimming? C'mon.

Santiako

The article on the card theft mentions that they're adjusting spoiler season so that they'll mainly focus on commons and uncommons, and only 1-3 cards will be revealed each day. Given that, should we go through with making an Ixalan thread for spoiler season? Or maybe delay it until Prerelease? Most of the interesting Ixalan discussion has already happened or will happen this week, after all.

Or as an alternative, we can emergency create a new thread right now.

I think you could create the thread today or just change the title to this one. pm charlequin maybe?

red13th

New sexy Jace is my 4th husbando, I like him now. I think he's too clean shaven for a castaway though. Maybe he can't grow facial hair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom