• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay sexy Jace is all right but where are the nipples? Where were Gideon's?

It seems like they're bending over backwards to show us more man-walker skin but without any nipples or abs, this is weird.

They have to keep their nipples covered. Ajani can smell an exposed nub from five planes away.

DIUl1ZzVoAAUIda.png
DIUl1nYV4AA-uDp.png

I love it. It's so beautiful.

Revel in Riches seems like it would be easy to trigger the "you win" clause in EDH.

Sort of, I mean Treasure tokens are still considered artifact permanents, so they still get nuked by Vandalblasts and Cyclonic Rifts.

You can certainly find ways to combo into a full bounty of them in one go, though.

It's also worth noting that as far as alternate win conditions go you should probably just Mechanized Production your Treasure instead.

Santiako

DIWCubNUEAAueLf.png

Old-Growth Dryads
G
Creature — Dryad (Rare)
When Old-Growth Dryads enters the battlefield, each opponent may search his or her library for a basic land card and put it onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle his or her library.
"The jungle was here before any city. It will be here after the last city falls."
3/3
199/279

With those stats it deserves at least a look, but the downside might be just too big.

All DFC in Ixalan have a land in the backside (looks to be 10 of them given the checklist card in the video). That's kind of weird and and interesting at the same time.

There's definitely exactly ten, because the set's exactly ten cards larger than normal.

It makes sense that they have a new gimmick that's totally different from previous executions, just like Origins did, and doing things that flip to lands makes perfect sense here since it's explorers "discovering" new places. It also explains why they did a custom frame instead of just making them look normal.

Blue and Red get Prowess, but Green gets permanent prowess?

Green's had Gro effects longer than some of our posters have been alive.

Just noticed this. Confirmation that Vraska is working for Bolas.

"Working for" is strong. The characters aren't reading the Wednesday story updates, most of them have no particular reason not to deal with Bolas if he comes and talks to them. I'm putting my money on the "manipulated by Bolas, gets mad and teams up with the Gatewatch" angle instead.

That's like saying forests aren't inherently green or mountains aren't red.

It's exactly like that in that it's also correct to say, it's just that blue has a lot more things that are blue just because of that elemental association than red or green do.

Santiako

Green's had Gro effects longer than some of our posters have been alive.

I know, I acknowledged that in the same post you quoted. Also, the game evolves, so it is weird that now that Prowess is a UR thing they give a monogreen card a permanent version of it. It would be like printing a new black ritual now, yes, the colour had those effects but it is now solidly in another colour.

Firemind

I know, I acknowledged that in the same post you quoted. Also, the game evolves, so it is weird that now that Prowess is a UR thing they give a monogreen card a permanent version of it. It would be like printing a new black ritual now, yes, the colour had those effects but it is now solidly in another colour.
Noncreature is worse in green though. Miracle Gro was only a deck in Extended because of the cheap blue cantrips and Daze/Force of Will.

Yeef

I have to say I'm mildly annoyed at this card:

en_Cu9bETMyt6.png

Blue and Red get Prowess, but Green gets permanent prowess? (I know it's a riff of old cards like Quirion Dryad, but still).
Primeval Bounty existed before prowess. Also, assuming this is meant to go into the merfolk deck in limited, most of those noncreature spells you're casting are going to be blue anyway.

Maledict

That's like saying forests aren't inherently green or mountains aren't red.

You e hit one of the issues with the colour pie and theming right on the head there... ;-)

Green is the colour of nature and forests. Nature exists in a lot of other places than forests - infact, you could argue the sea is one of the most alive areas on the planet considering all the tiny animals that live there and the vast ecosystems that arise. What does a coral ref rpresent if not the delicate balanced ecosystem, each part relying on the other in a. Sat circle of life, that is suppossed to be greens core ethos?

The more complicated you make the colour pie, and the more you try to build a philosophical framework around it, the more weird and contradictory it becomes. In the original game each colour was foremost the colour of its land type, and the emotional / social stuff was secondary to that. Nowadays colours much more represent a philosophy than they do the land they originally came from.

Santiako

The flavor texts here lead me to believe that after foreseeing the end of Ixalan, some of its inhabitants want to flee the plane (but can't because they're not planeswalkers).

Angrath is a planeswalker so maybe the plane traps you there somehow.

en_x87NZsf14I.png

You e hit one of the issues with the colour pie and theming right on the head there... ;-)

Green is the colour of nature and forests. Nature exists in a lot of other places than forests - infact, you could argue the sea is one of the most alive areas on the planet considering all the tiny animals that live there and the vast ecosystems that arise. What does a coral ref rpresent if not the delicate balanced ecosystem, each part relying on the other in a. Sat circle of life, that is suppossed to be greens core ethos?

The more complicated you make the colour pie, and the more you try to build a philosophical framework around it, the more weird and contradictory it becomes. In the original game each colour was foremost the colour of its land type, and the emotional / social stuff was secondary to that. Nowadays colours much more represent a philosophy than they do the land they originally came from.

this gets even worse in locations like ravnica where lands are identified by their colouring mostly

Minor thing, but I'm confused about this post.

Hell of a top-down design

And hey, they managed to not have DFC get spoiled in the sheet leak!

Also, that really doesn't look like a MTG card. Looks like
The early idea for Masterpiece series cards this block before they decided they weren't doing them this set
DIUl1ZzVoAAUIda.png
DIUl1nYV4AA-uDp.png

Was this in reaction to the mechanics article going up, or was this found earlier?

OnPoint

"Working for" is strong. The characters aren't reading the Wednesday story updates, most of them have no particular reason not to deal with Bolas if he comes and talks to them. I'm putting my money on the "manipulated by Bolas, gets mad and teams up with the Gatewatch" angle instead
Would be far more interesting that's for sure

Primeval Bounty existed before prowess. Also, assuming this is meant to go into the merfolk deck in limited, most of those noncreature spells you're casting are going to be blue anyway.

I ream Primeval Bounty in my Selesnya deck back in the RtR days, I think it was sideboard though. If I could pull it off it kind of ran away with the game.

Well, it's a good thing there's a copy in the Vampires deck for... some inexplicable reason.

I guess they realized it was likely to be a major price driver and decided it needed more printings to try and blunt the effect.

Thread titles that got support from multiple people.
Dinosaurs of the Caribbean
Ixalan Way From Home
Ixalan - Way From Home
Dinosaurs eat man. Woman inherits the Multiverse
Everybody walk the dinosaur
Walk The Dinosaur
Port to Sideboard
Planewalk the Dinosaur

If the thread title doesn't mention dinosaurs, then we can optionally append "(warning: feathered dinosaurs)".

As a follow up, Teferi's Protection started the day at $18, closing it out at $30 according to MTGGoldfish.

/sigh

Daaaaaaaamn.

My set of all four 2017 Commander decks came in today. As well as the upgrade cards I purchased from CFB (with my prize credit!).

My kids will be super happy.

I'm actually really stoked to be upgrading the Dragon and Vampire deck for them. They are turning out really cool.

I'm actually really stoked to be upgrading the Dragon and Vampire deck for them. They are turning out really cool.

How did you decide to go about it?

I pretty much went opposite ways: for Dragons I went whole-hog into the "fuck it, let's just cast Ur-Dragon" Timmy route (Urza's Incubator, Semblance Anvil, Gilded Lotus, even playing around with the Amonkhet Pyramid though I'll probably cut it because it's turned out to be too slow to assist in casting, hilariously enough) and Haste enablers (Temur Ascendancy, Karthus, etc.) to get those big meaty swings in. Basically cut all the cheap dragons (they aren't actually "cheaper" than anything else since they have double mana symbols anyway). Replaced a lot of the existing dragons with big-butt legends and mythics.

Conversely, for Vampires I actually loaded up on a lot of cheap value-pires like Shadow Alley Denizen, Stromkirk Noble, Falkenrath Executioner, etc. and a few more lords like Vampire Nocturnis and Lord of Lineage. And I filled out the lifegain->steal combos with Exquisite Blood and a Cliffhaven Vampire just to have alternate wincons. I'm trying to run it with way less ramp/fixing than I normally would for EDH, though, and I think I might actually have to cut some cheaper bloodsuckers for more rocks.

I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do with Cats, and I've already resigned myself to just tearing Wizards apart to make Kess Instants and Sorceries Tribal at this point.

OnPoint

Ixalan Way From Home
Ixalan - Way From Home
Walk The Dinosaur
Port to Sideboard
Planewalk the Dinosaur

If the thread title doesn't mention dinosaurs, then we can optionally append "(warning: feathered dinosaurs)".
1. Planeswalk the dinosaur
2. Port to sideboard

Tunoku

Ixalan Way From Home
Ixalan - Way From Home
Walk The Dinosaur
Port to Sideboard
Planewalk the Dinosaur

Port to Sideboard

Ashodin

Port to Sideboard.

BTW Angrath is a planeswalker who can't leave Ixalan. It's presumed that Vraska and Jace also cannot planeswalk away. Something is odd about the plane. This is presumably the plane that they could not trace from Ravnica.

UW control is going alllll in on Gideon.

I caught a match on MTGO to see it trounce Living End.

Then I hop on FB and see people trying to trade into it. It's going to be a hot pet deck until it can prove itself in a tournament I think.

Or maybe Saphron Olive will stream it.

EDIT: I didn't catch when the new rules will take effect on MTGO.

alternade

How did you decide to go about it?

I pretty much went opposite ways: for Dragons I went whole-hog into the "fuck it, let's just cast Ur-Dragon" Timmy route (Urza's Incubator, Semblance Anvil, Gilded Lotus, even playing around with the Amonkhet Pyramid though I'll probably cut it because it's turned out to be too slow to assist in casting, hilariously enough) and Haste enablers (Temur Ascendancy, Karthus, etc.) to get those big meaty swings in. Basically cut all the cheap dragons (they aren't actually "cheaper" than anything else since they have double mana symbols anyway). Replaced a lot of the existing dragons with big-butt legends and mythics.

Conversely, for Vampires I actually loaded up on a lot of cheap value-pires like Shadow Alley Denizen, Stromkirk Noble, Falkenrath Executioner, etc. and a few more lords like Vampire Nocturnis and Lord of Lineage. And I filled out the lifegain->steal combos with Exquisite Blood and a Cliffhaven Vampire just to have alternate wincons. I'm trying to run it with way less ramp/fixing than I normally would for EDH, though, and I think I might actually have to cut some cheaper bloodsuckers for more rocks.

I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do with Cats, and I've already resigned myself to just tearing Wizards apart to make Kess Instants and Sorceries Tribal at this point.
I'm building the dragon decks as reanimator. The damn things are so expensive that once they come out they aren't leaving! Once I find a patriarchs bidding it will be complete

The Treasure Cove card has grown on me over the course of the day. Initial reaction to the frame was /shrug but it's pretty sweet :)

Looking forward to seeing the rest!

An aside: I really hope C17 is not C16 in availability. I don't know why Wizards would make the decision to pull back on the printing of these products. What is the value in doing so? They are only getting more popular, they should be printing casual products to demand.

It used to take cards months, then weeks to recover from a reprint, it's now taking days for these Commander products. Mirari's Wake is already on the rise. Close parellel would be Chromatic Lantern from last year's.

Yeah, Scion just pitching and abusing Bladewing and Teneb is pretty standard tech, along with things like poison instant face burn.

I much prefer big daddy Ur-Dragon's "I just put 30 CMC of bullshit into play" way of doing things. It's a very slightly more honest (and thus much less likely to win, admittedly) approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom