• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

Which card are you referring to? I can't find it

Hostage Taker 2UB
Creature - Human Pirate
When ~ enters the battlefield, exile target artifact or creature until ~ leaves the battlefield. You may cast that card for as long as it remains exiles, and you may spend mana as though it were mana of any color to cast that spell.
2/3

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hostage Taker 2UB
Creature - Human Pirate
When ~ enters the battlefield, exile target artifact or creature until ~ leaves the battlefield. You may cast that card for as long as it remains exiles, and you may spend mana as though it were mana of any color to cast that spell.
2/3

No sorry I meant the card Kirblar said got errata for lacking an EoT rider

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
How does Hostage Taker breaks the game? I'm naive.

If there are no other creatures or artifacts on the battlefield, it has to exile itself. When it's exiled it returns itself to play, and has to exile itself again. Ad infinitum.

Ashodin

target itself with its ability. It leaves play, then the clause about making it come back goes off, then it has to target itself again, so on and so on.

The game will enter a never-ending loop that will force a draw.

So the idea is that you win game one, then just attempt to get him out by himself in future games to force a draw so you just win the matchup.

If Hostage Taker enters the battlefield and there are no other creatures or artifacts, it must target itself, thus exiling itself. But it left the battlefield, so it comes back. But it entered the battlefield, so it exiles itself. This continues without end, and game rules say this will end the game in a draw.

I find it hard to believe they'd miss this given the care given to Restoration Angel to avoid it, so either it's not final, or there's a rule change to address this.

kirblar

No sorry I meant the card Kirblar said got errata for lacking an EoT rider
49.jpg
ARCANE KNOWLEDGE ATTACK

Santiako

It'll likely be errata'd to add "you don't control". This sort of fuck-up has happened before, notably on the SoK blue Sweep cards that had -X/-0 effects... without the end of turn rider.

Also with Marath and Walking Atlas. (Errata'd into X can't be 0 and Artifact)

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Ashes of the Abhorrent 1W
Enchantment
Players can't cast spells from graveyards or activate abilities of cards in graveyards.
Whenever a creature dies, you gain 1 life.

Am I misevaluating this card from the Ixalan spoilers? It seems really strong in Modern.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Doesn't it flip Dredge off entirely?

No. Dredge isn't an activated ability. It's a static ability that when triggered creates a replacement effect.

Grafdigger's Cage does the same thing better and cheaper.

No. Dredge isn't an activated ability. It's a static ability that when triggered creates a replacement effect.

Grafdigger's Cage does the same thing better and cheaper.

That's pretty useless then, yeah.

I mean, I guess it slightly annoys Scrapheap Scrounger and Dread Wanderer. I can't see many people running it in Modern just to needle Snapcasters, though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Cage doesn't stop them from Dredging either, but there's not that many interesting things to cast with Dredge if you can't do them from the yard. I mean Leyline just owns them, but that's "get lucky and get Leyline"

Angry Grimace

You can blame nobody but yourself.

I gain a ton of points playing constructed though!

The Mardu Reanimator deck is better than ever without Marvel. Void Winnower still completely fucks your opponents over most of the time, although some of the spells that stop it are seeing more play, e.g. Stasis Snare, Never // Return.

Nahiri and Liliana are just generally good right now. I still don't have either Gideon or Liliana, the Last Hope in the deck because they're fucking expensive as hell. Descend Upon the Sinful is just filthy if you get against a Midrange deck.

Angry Grimace

legacy looks real boring with a bunch of 4c good stuff decks essentially stopping all the decks trying unique strategies.

It's just DRS everywhere

I wouldn't be surprised to see Deathrite eat a Legacy ban too. I don't follow Legacy much but there's a ton of complaining about the card.

OnPoint

Also double post, but it's surreal to see SaffronOlive playing a Polymorph Emrakul deck right now in stream. You may remember a few years ago when I built one myself. It's definitely differently built, but incredibly similar as well. Makes me want to re-tool my deck with some of the new tech. Brutality seems sweet in it.

thefil

I got so salty about the "one of G or B" type casting costs when I first saw them. I was still really primed for pre-modern creature power levels, and somehow these creatures that were *easier* to cast than something that takes only a specific type of mana were so much more powerful, and triggered effects off two colours of cards.

At this point I guess I intellectually know they are not completely overpowered but it's still hard for me not to see the early days of modern as a stupid power creep. Artifacts can be cost with any colour of mana, and you're making them *how* strong???

Angry Grimace

Rats. Went 4-0 in a comp league and lost the last one because I couldn't draw a white source at all in the 3rd game. Feels bad man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom