• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.
How is jace making anyone's husbando list he looks super gormless and like he's never set foot in a gym.

I definitely know people IRL who have gorrmless skinny guys as, like, their type.

And also his card seems super tame even for a 3 mana Planeswaker.

This is definitely true.

Yeah, people love flashback but hate ugly-ass cards, what a surprise, Maro!

The question with anything like this is whether the awkward visual design will go by the wayside because the mechanic is so popular or not. In this case it didn't, but you can't always be sure of that in advance.

Or as an alternative, we can emergency create a new thread right now.

Maybe aim for Wednesday.

Maybe aim for Wednesday.

If you're worried about the effort, I'm conveniently WFH sick today, so I can put an updated OP together by this afternoon.

Anyway, now that I actually look at the cards, most of these seem really simple and often weak, more so than usual. Is this just a result of seeing everything at once?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I definitely know people IRL who have gorrmless skinny guys as, like, their type.

This is definitely true.

The question with anything like this is whether the awkward visual design will go by the wayside because the mechanic is so popular or not. In this case it didn't, but you can't always be sure of that in advance.

Maybe aim for Wednesday.
l mean okay you got me there lol

en_N6hDAxf5ku.png

Yup, definitely a red mythic.

Zocano

Are we gonna make the mistake of underestimating a 3 mana PW that protects itself again?

Ya I thought this Jace was pretty alright at first glance. Has everything you kinda want on a walker.

Edit: oh I thought he gave loot to each creature not just a one time trigger for the turn. Lame. He'll see plenty of play in standard though regardless.

The 3CMC walker that protects themselves thing is mostly about 3CMC walkers that protect themselves on +1 (Last Hope, Voice of Zendikar, Gideon of the Trials, etc.).

A planeswalker who can protect themselves (and not spectacularly well) by going down to 1 Loyalty is significantly less impressive.

Adaren

Jace art is amazing. He's exactly the sort of Planeswalker x Plane crossover that I've been hoping to see more of.

I like how WotC is handling the whole situation. I didn't expect them to be so honest and upfront about it, but I think that's the right thing to do in this case.

Justin

Ya I thought this Jace was pretty alright at first glance. Has everything you kinda want on a walker.

Edit: oh I thought he gave loot to each creature not just a one time trigger for the turn. Lame. He'll see plenty of play in standard though regardless.

When you ultimate him and have 3 jaces that's 3 loots!

The art is fine the clothes are stupid and look terrible.
didn't notice that either with that restriction it could have been straight draw.

Anyway would you play a 3 mana 2/2 that had "put a mediocre Jace with 1 loyalty into play"? I would.

Santiako

I don't know, Jace seems pretty meh. His +1 is pretty bad, his other abilities are decent. He might see play as most 3 mana walkers have, but he looks pretty underwhelming.

Anyway would you play a 3 mana 2/2 that had "put a mediocre Jace with 1 loyalty into play"? I would.

I mean if the 2/2 wasn't an illusion, probably.

He really should be creating something beefier given that downside.

Edit: I'd also be a lot more keen on him if he was 2U instead of 1UU. Double-blue on 3 is pretty annoying, especially since mono-blue doesn't tend to be much of a thing. In a lot of ways he just looks like a crummier Tamiyo with the not-insignificant upshot of being easier to cast.

the downside is usually lessened by the number of spells or abilities on cards played that could target it and not kill it anyway but they definitely played it safe with all these downsides.

Are they gonna make jace PW tokens?

Santiako

Just saw this in the B&R update:

Finally, the next B&R announcement date will be October 17. We wanted to balance the needs of Pro Tour competitors to test for Pro Tour Ixalan against those of making sure we have our fingers on the pulse of formats if anything does need fixing. Any time later and we risk disrupting the Pro Tour or the Standard Grand Prix that follow. Any earlier and we wouldn't have the right data to make the best decisions. Publishing on Tuesday allows us to take the results of Nationals tournaments into consideration before finalizing any potential changes.

I think it's better that they no longer tie the announcements to set releases, having more fluid dates seems better for everyone.

Teferi's Protection on that steady march upward. I was hoping it would drop. Guess it's the waiting game.

I wasn't a buyer at its low of 13 or whatever, so it's not like I missed anything, at least.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Rowdy Crew is a lot better than it was when I thought it was draw three discard three at least.

Edit: I'd also be a lot more keen on him if he was 2U instead of 1UU. Double-blue on 3 is pretty annoying, especially since mono-blue doesn't tend to be much of a thing. In a lot of ways he just looks like a crummier Tamiyo with the not-insignificant upshot of being easier to cast.

The Illusion text is basically trinket text. What are your creatures going to be targeted by that won't kill them anyways.

red13th

If you are hellbent it's kind of draw a card maybe get two +1/+1 counters. I can see myself playing it in my Grixis cube since it has a hellbent theme.

The Illusion text is basically trinket text. What are your creatures going to be targeted by that won't kill them anyways.

not including ixalan cards off the top of my head and non rotating. Gideon +, Ballista, Blossoming Defense, Earthshaker Khenra and Ahn Crop Crasher.

Probably a couple more and a couple in Ixalan nothing extraordinary.

Firemind

?
This one draws 3, discards 2 at random. Horde draws 0, discards 1 at random else it dies.
It IS a smaller body but the ETB trigger is completely different.
i know but random discarding still sucks because you have no control over it

at least balduvian horde isn't a hill giant

and a mythic

red13th

Well if you're hellbent it's not all that different from draw a card.
Not saying it's a good card but I can see myself playing it in a very specific cube. lol

Santiako

All DFC in Ixalan have a land in the backside (looks to be 10 of them given the checklist card in the video). That's kind of weird and and interesting at the same time.

Plenty of things? For one thing it means you can kill it with a variety of spells you would normally cast on your own creatures (example: Blossoming Defense) to get it, and almost certainly Jace, off the board. It also means things like Last Hope or even Dovin Baan +1 can kill it outright and prevent it from blocking, you can ping it a single time with a Walking Balista (and thus probably not have to lose the Balista in the process), you can target it with Harness Lightning and cash in all of the Energy rather than spending 2, etc.

Firemind

Plenty of things? For one thing it means you can kill it with a variety of spells you would normally cast on your own creatures (example: Blossoming Defense) to get it, and almost certainly Jace, off the board. It also means things like Last Hope or even Dovin Baan +1 can kill it outright and prevent it from blocking, you can ping it a single time with a Walking Balista (and thus probably not have to lose the Balista in the process), you can target it with Harness Lightning and cash in all of the Energy rather than spending 2, etc.
yeah you're right

should have been -1

couple things. Liliana the last hope rotates, Dovin Baan remains terrible, Ballista outright kills jace anyway in that exchange and most importantly Harnessed Lightning fizzles netting 0 energy.

Angry Grimace

The last one doesn't work, the target is invalid when the spell resolves and you get nothing.

Most of those are spending a card or playing an otherwise bad Planeswalker (or non-Standard) to use. I mean, it matters for something like Phantasmal Image, but for bears? It basically doesn't matter.

Ixalan limited has me intrigued. Most of the little dudes are underpowered on their own and require some kind of build around and there are tons of 7 mana payoffs which in my mind is because of treasure.

The last one doesn't work, the target is invalid when the spell resolves and you get nothing.

Most of those are spending a card or playing an otherwise bad Planeswalker (or non-Standard) to use. I mean, it matters for something like Phantasmal Image, but for bears? It basically doesn't matter.

I mean it's literally a random grab-bag of examples just off the top of my head.

How about Earthshaker Khenra to instant punk your Jace and his token, and I get to keep the Khenra? This isn't hard if you stop and think about it.

Angry Grimace

I mean it's literally a random grab-bag of examples just off the top of my head.

How about Earthshaker Khenra to instant punk your Jace and his token, and I get to keep the Khenra? This isn't hard if you stop and think about it.

I mean you kill the 2/2 in the exchange but you'd kill Jace itself anyways. I'm not arguing Jace is good anyways because he isn't.

Justin

Gafers are bad at card evaluations. This discussion solidifies pirate Jace as broken and likely to be banned pre pro tour.

Hero

Damn, DFC lands was one of the things I was hoping to use for a GDS3.

I don't like the legendary planeswalker change.

Pundere

A few people here need to re-read Jace's minus. The token only dies to spells, not abilities. Ballista/Gideon +1/Earthshaker Khenra don't insta-kill it.

He's still pretty bad, but the minus is actually decent.

Gafers are bad at card evaluations. This discussion solidifies pirate Jace as broken and likely to be banned pre pro tour.

There's always the off chance that something else in the set (or the next set, or the one after that) makes Jace better than he looks right now. For all I know they could have a 1U 10/10 Vigilance Trample creature named Thunderfuck Dinoking in the set, in which case having Jace to loot around for more copies might be the new meta.

Barring some incredible 1-2 CMC blue creatures, though, I'm actually pretty confident in saying this Jace is destined for bargain bins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom