• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT10| Aether Revolt - That shit that make your Soul Burn slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Shit

guys

Duelyst is the first one of those F2P online card games to ever hint that it might grab me the way Magic does

Guys I think this game might be really good

bigkrev

I didn't play during the time, but I'm positive that Brimaz saw way more play than Knux.

Like, a ton. Comparing him with the other two is silly.

So I did a check, and there were 26 Standard Grand Prixs in the lifespan of Brimaz, and he put up 7 Top 8 appearaces

SCRsjPc.png

Obviously not on the level of Big Knucks, but this isn't the be-all end-all of data, but it's safe to say it did not see play equal to it's price tag and first glance power level

ultron87

I got people together to draft my cube for the first time! Got the full eight people too. Cube is great. I did feel like it might've been a bit beyond some of the newer players, who weren't quite up to knowing all the expected ways cards can/should be used, but everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves even if their deck didn't quite work, so it worked for that at least. And I guess the best way to learn how to use this stuff would just be to draft it more.

http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/74088

Also, I must say, Cube Tutor is a heck of a well made website. Tweaking the list and analyzing it in every which way is so easy!

Yeef

There's nothing like drafting a cube you made in paper and having it go well. It's the best Magic experience you can have.

Perfection.

Anyone else already tiring of seeing all the flavours of death's shadow? Junk, Grixis, Jund, heck I've seen Esper. Though surprisingly no BUG
I've seen Bug. I think the only Black-involving 3 Color DS deck I haven't seen is Mardu, which is amusing because you'd figure it would be a thing.

I'm getting sick of it though, because it's just getting dumb. Also getting dumb is when SCG's star players are wising up to SSG as virtually free and running 4 of them in a deck called "Mono White Eldrazi"

I've seen Bug. I think the only Black-involving 3 Color DS deck I haven't seen is Mardu, which is amusing because you'd figure it would be a thing.

I'm getting sick of it though, because it's just getting dumb. Also getting dumb is when SCG's star players are wising up to SSG as virtually free and running 4 of them in a deck called "Mono White Eldrazi"
It's not like mardu really has much going for it other colours combos don't cover.

We've come full circle with SSG and Eldrazi if that deck is a thing.

It's not like mardu really has much going for it other colours combos don't cover.

We've come full circle with SSG and Eldrazi if that deck is a thing.
Well, Mardu has access to the 3 best removal spells in Modern built right into the Mana. It's also got access to Lingering Souls(both halfs)/Ranger/KCommand/etc.

Basically, if the progression went Jund into Abzan into Grixis and people are ditching Green/Goyf and sometimes even Red, I don't see why Mardu is off the table.

Yup to the second point: within a year we've come full circle back to SSG being used to cheat out Eldrazi. I think one of the games was turn 1 Land, Pitch SSG, Chalice on 1, followed by Arbiter on Turn 2 on the Play. Majors auto conceded at that point, and I don't Blame him. That's basically a lost game right there because of SSG.

Well, Mardu has access to the 3 best removal spells in Modern built right into the Mana. It's also got access to Lingering Souls(both halfs)/Ranger/KCommand/etc.

Basically, if the progression went Jund into Abzan into Grixis and people are ditching Green/Goyf and sometimes even Red, I don't see why Mardu is off the table.

Yup to the second point: within a year we've come full circle back to SSG being used to cheat out Eldrazi. I think one of the games was turn 1 Land, Pitch SSG, Chalice on 1, followed by Arbiter on Turn 2 on the Play. Majors auto conceded at that point, and I don't Blame him. That's basically a lost game right there because of SSG.
You don't need access to the 3 best removal spells in the format. Adding blue already gives you a rebuy on the best 2 through Snapcaster, green gives you access to abrupt decay.
The verdict is still out on jund vs grixis and I don't think there was an actual shift from jund into abzan at all.

I'm watching that video just now t1 chalice seems dece.

Son1x

I find all standard dual lands except fastlands to be utter crap.

Man lands and battle lands are ok for standard and EDH, but the same can be said for many cards.

Son1x

tangolands see a surprising amount of modern play. Cinder Glade in Scapeshift decks as well as Ux lands in control decks.

Only RG Scapeshift plays them, RUG skips on them for obvious reasons (is RUG even viable these days?). As for the others, Prairie Stream is at best maybe a 1-of in UW control.

I wouldn't call that a surprising amount.

Rafy

yakob66 asked:
If the gods are invocations does that mean they have the same chance as appearing in a pack as any other invocations?

MaRo:
Yes. Remember the gods are also mythic rares in the normal set.

Nothing too surprising, but nice to know nonetheless.

Crocodile

I wonder if the God cards will be enchantment creatures again

I also wonder if we will get anything within the realm of playablity of cycling enablers like Slide or Rift (reprints or something similar) or just super shitty versions that are only good in limited and barely at that.

Sam hinted on twitter that the dual cycle's getting previewed this morning.

ETB Dual Lands with cycling maybe?

G.ZZZ

Etb duals with cycle 2 could be playable even in legacy IF they had basic types. Without, they'd just be good, worse than temples or karoos

Maledict

I doubt the gods will be enchantments, for a couple of reasons.

1) Its not Amonkhets theme at all, and whereas it fitted mechanically with what they were doing in Theras it doesn't at all here.

2) lore and setting wise the Gods work very differently here. They appear in the flesh to followers all the time, and take a very active role in the plane. That doesn't fit with the enchantment turning into creature aspect when you worship them enough of Tneras.

Also, none of the God images we've seen have any sort of art implying they aren't very solid, always real creatures. There's nothing like the Nyx night sky effect in Amonkhet, or anything similar to it.

Tunoku

Gonna go to FNM for the first time in awhile today. Playing 4c Saheeli w/o Ballista because I slept on those, but I think I'll be fine without them. It's mostly OK without the Snake and I'll have two copies of Authority in the board for the mirror.

red13th

I'd love a Miscalculation reprint but it's way too good a counterspell these days. Didn't they print a counter that's strictly worse than Miscalc in Kaladesh? No cycling and counters nonartifact spells.

I got people together to draft my cube for the first time! Got the full eight people too. Cube is great. I did feel like it might've been a bit beyond some of the newer players, who weren't quite up to knowing all the expected ways cards can/should be used, but everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves even if their deck didn't quite work, so it worked for that at least. And I guess the best way to learn how to use this stuff would just be to draft it more.

http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcube/74088

Also, I must say, Cube Tutor is a heck of a well made website. Tweaking the list and analyzing it in every which way is so easy!

Cubetutor is amazing, the amount of time I spend there is crazy.

lol people seriously thought we were gonna get depletion lands in this our year of luigi 2017

Those are pretty but some of the names are driving me nuts

The names are all fine on their own as names for dual lands of those colors, but: "Sheltered Thicket" *shows a thicket which is completely exposed in every direction*

kirblar

I expect the other 5 in the next set. Cyclimg is uncommon enough a mechanic to make you want to get the full 10 printed immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom