• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan said 'No' to Kojima's next game - XboxEra Podcast

Liar

Banned
Metal Gear Solid for PS1 is such an amazing game - it is really a grounded gaming experience, with just about right amount of Kojima's weirdness which makes things a bit more interesting.

Ryu_Joestar

This is an exact deja-vu of PS3 era, no games with bad management of the whole thing, riding with arrogance the wave of success the previous console generated and thinking only on profit without thinking also on the consumer

Last edited:

Spacefish

So basically XBOX owners should be excited about a game that Sony passed on and then Google passed on for Stadia, which is desperate for an exclusive content?
Of course they should, why would you ever assume that money men care about anything but sales? I guess if all you play is COD, FIFA and assassins creed I understand your position.

Jon Neu

Banned
Xbox fans like to cosplay as Sony fans to bash Sony, you can see that with Jon Neu Jon Neu in the LoU2 threads cosplaying as a Naught Dog fan, or longdi longdi and Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes cosplaying as concerned Sony fans.

Thanks for the mention in a thread I'm not following and the lies about me so you can justify your silly attempt at invalidating other people's opinions.

Nothing new when Sony fanboys go rage blind mode: damage control and dismiss every opinion that goes against the narrative by sheer character assasination. Protect Sony at all costs!

reezoo

If true, stupidity of epic promotions. Basically Sony spent millions of dollars on Kojima Productions to learn there lessons and handed it over to Xbox.

Zoro7

Banned
Jesus Christ, this is why the industry is creatively bankrupt, even the consumers think like corporate suits.
So what you want is companies to spend money making games that don’t sell well? You want more examples like Sega? Profitability leads to more games. It’s not rocket science.

Spacefish

So what you want is companies to spend money making games that don’t sell well? You want more examples like Sega? Profitability leads to more games. It’s not rocket science.
The most profitable games are COD, FIFA, Remakes and Sequels, If all you seek is profit this is all you will receive. It doesn't matter if you receive more games when they are all creatively bankrupt. The real legacy of any developer or publisher isn't how high the stock ticker went or where they placed on a sales chart, its how good were the games they made. This complete upside down flipping of values is not something I would have expected so many consumers to adopt.

I hate to point this out, but its not Ryan's job to greenlight projects. He's way above that in the corporate hierarchy, and appoints people to make these decisions on his behalf because he's got other things to do, like running the entire division!

So anyone asserting this, really needs some concrete evidence of why the literal head of Playstation would want to involve himself.

Isn't it the board of directors who approve contracts unless delegated to some officer?

Liar

Banned
Imagine saying no to Kojima. And then thinking you are still fit to be head of playstation.

We aren't in 2000s anymore, there is only so far Kojima's weirdness can get him.

Sometimes people just want to kill stuff in their games, without some added meaning to it.

Also, Ryan is a businessman, and those tend not to waste money on experimental crap.

SoraNoKuni

I've not heard a single person I'm friends with on psn freak out about anything. Literally nobody owns an Xbox or even talks about it. It might as well not exist.

I'm ranked in the top 10 in my country for warzone wins so naturally I've added a shit ton of people and play with a lot of different people on warzone. On the very rare occasion we have to enable cross play because somebody's friend is on Xbox we're always like how can you play warzone on Xbox because they're forced to use cross play which means games ruined by pc hackers. And they're like yeah I'm going to get a Ps5 why they become easier to get. Xbox is dead in Europe.
That's my experience as well..

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Isn't it the board of directors who approve contracts unless delegated to some officer?

Board approves annual budgets, so unless additional/extraordinary funding is required it won't get above studio group level (i.e Herman Hulst).

In the case of bringing Kojima onboard I can see it going above that, as its a strategic partnership sort of deal. But for subsequent ventures I'd be surprised if that was deemed neccessary. It'd just go to either studio group and/or x-dev, whoever was managing the production of DS.

The main thing is Kojima has a strong advocate in Hulst, and he's the guy hand-picked by Ryan to manage first-party. So I can't see Ryan veto-ing anything because the optics in a corporate sense would show weakness, as he'd be second-guessing his own man.

Liar

Banned
Btw, I wonder if Sony learned that most gamers don't really care about Hollywood superstars being present in their games...

Devils advocate, If Sony rejected it and google rejected it, mayyybe it’s just not a good idea for a project?
It doesn't matter, its about gaining hardcore gamers onto GP. Kojima is one of the best known game developers and he has a devote fan base. Phil knows this and I would be very surprised if this isn't a done deal already.

Kenpachii

All of his MGS games were big sellers (and most importantly: system sellers) and The Phantom Pain should be sitting at 10M+ by now.

The reason why Death Stranding sales kind of tanked was because those last two months of marketing prior to launch, with those dreadful TGS gameplay demos, killed the hype for pretty much anyone who wasn't a hardcore Hideo Kojima fan. The terribly cut launch trailer and those CG TV spots didn't help at all when the time came to market the game to mainstream audiences.

Guess what he doesn't own MGS and his newest game was far from being a next generation new MGS type of game. He blew it.

People expected silent hill type of game with maybe resident evil type of gameplay specially after the PS4 demo of that other game and the trailers that hinted towards it, they got some retarded open world bridge maker / mail delivery simulator that only select outlets give 2 shits about like that summer fest presentator which is a complete fanboy of him and give him awards for it becuase they have nothing else in this subsection to start with.

Its a single player game, it has no future as title itself, it was his big moment to shine outside of konami and he royaly fucked it up.

The game makes no money, he basically degraded to a indie status after that and can bankroll his own titles from that point on if he wants too.

But he isn't a idiot and know any project he takes can bankrupt him the next day. That's why he's begging everybody to fund his next game which frankly after death stranding is on the lower and of the list of publishers at this point.

What sony and microsoft are searching for that's the new warfare or fortnite that can rake in billions a year on microtransactions which all can be done on there platform. Or a game that can become something big and sustain itself.

With games moving to 200m mark, and probably going to sit at higher then blockbuster movie costs at the end of the generation with tons of teams working on it for years. Sony is in the need for games that bankroll there industry and not leech on it.

Kojima is basically a indie developer now, that doesn't even trust his own work as he wont fund it himself.

Liar

Banned
I once read that Kojima wanted The End boss fight in MGS3 to last, like, a few weeks, or months...

Not sure.

thelastword

Banned
I see some people are using this as an opportunity to defecate on Death Stranding and Kojima........Truth is, DS was a great game with great graphics with a unique story and gameplay, the industry needs this too as opposed to the millionth cookie cutter shooter in a sandbox pallete.....The industry needs Detroit, it needs Until Dawn, it needs Detroit, Returnal, TLG, Stray, Kena, Gravity Rush, Astro, Blood and Truth etc.....Not everybody wants to play COD or Skyrim or Fallout......So we need Horizon, we need Days Gone, we need Tsushima.....However you can't just invest in the slower sellers or those games just breaking even....You need quite a few heavy hitters, critical darlings and sales monsters to offset losses from some of the quirky games, the riskier games, the more niche games.....Block Busters are your bread and butter, without them, the others can be hard to finance...So it's a balancing act, you can't go gungho into risky and indie and don't know where your next hit is coming from...

Not the only indicator, but the biggest one for sure.
Not if you're a platform holder. If you're a platform holder what you want are games that build hype for your platform and that convince people sitting on the fence to buy into your ecosystem instead of the other guy's. You'll more than make up the couple million you lose on Kojima's next boondoggle if your untouchable mindshare means you're the console of choice for every mouthbreathing idiot who drops $1000 a month on GTA shark cards.

Imagine saying no to Kojima. And then thinking you are still fit to be head of playstation.
It's gonna bite him on the ass big time, Kojima's new game day 1 on GP, will drive subs like bees to honey. Jim Ryan has got 1 or 2 years before he's gone, and it won't be his doing either.

Dabaus

Banned
It doesn't matter, its about gaining hardcore gamers onto GP. Kojima is one of the best known game developers and he has a devote fan base. Phil knows this and I would be very surprised if this isn't a done deal already.
Nvm

Last edited:
So basically XBOX owners should be excited about a game that Sony passed on and then Google passed on for Stadia, which is desperate for an exclusive content?
That does make me wonder. Then again, just the very idea that it’s strongly rumored that Kojima went over to XBOX with an exclusive which could eventually turn into something bigger for Microsoft. Hey you guys rejected my game. Death Stranding 2, ZOE 3 and Policenauts 2 exclusive to 3 XBOX.

Last edited:

Boss Mog

That does make me wonder. Then again, just the very idea that it’s strongly rumored that Kojima went over to XBOX with an exclusive which could eventually turn into something bigger for Microsoft. Hey you guys rejected my game. Death Stranding 2, ZOE 3 and Policenauts 2 exclusive to 3 XBOX.
Konami holds the rights to Zone of the Enders and Policenauts though.

It's crazy because you can tell who didn't play DS because most of them didn't even know you could get guns...let alone the numerous upgrades that make traversal of terrain and delivery significantly quicker and easier.
Yep. I remember some reviewers and people saying, it’s only a boring walking simulator.......oh.....wait, I think I picked up a stun gun or something a little later, but all you do is walk in it. Ironically, I think Death Stranding ended up having more weapons and vehicles than most other games on the market.

Shpeshel_Ed reveals that he knew that PlayStation had passed on Kojimas next project (14 minute mark - With Jim Ryan impersonation)
This entire thread is based on a rumor from a RetardEra Xbox podcaster? So funny how everyone is taking this as true. Does him doing an impression of the CEO make it more believable?

Kojima was touting how the game was already making a profit last May. This was a month before the PC release of Death Stranding.
"We surpassed the amount we needed to make a profit, so I think it sold well enough to be called a 'success,' recoupment of development costs included," said Kojima in an interview with LiveDoor News, translated by Gematsu. "We'll release the PC version soon and have already secured enough profit to prepare for what’s next, so there’s no need to worry."

Elsewhere in the interview he mentions a "big project" that recently fell through, which is separate from the next Kojima productions project that he mentions they are preparing for after DS. We know that the Stadia project was a big project, being not just a single game but an episodic release. It is entirely likely that Sony was offered a chance at the episodic one and turned it down. At any rate we know Kojima is working on multiple projects. So even if this rumor is correct, the next Kojima game could still come out on PlayStation.

Not that this will slow down the FUD anti hype train. It's too bad that there is a general lack of games, this sort of speculation and rumor mongering is filling in the void.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Yep. I remember some reviewers and people saying, it’s only a boring walking simulator.......oh.....wait, I think I picked up a stun gun or something a little later, but all you do is walk in it. Ironically, I think Death Stranding ended up having more weapons and vehicles than most other games on the market.

That's what I love about kojima games, he has tons of mechanics in them. Little things and interactions you can do.

That said, DS level progression is too menu heavy, perhaps that's caused some to drop off before experiencing the whole game

Last edited:

Kerotan

Btw, I wonder if Sony learned that most gamers don't really care about Hollywood superstars being present in their games...
Funny you say that when this rumour is talking about kojima who is number one in the world for Hollywood names in games.

I will add however I like Death Stranding as a one off unique game. If he was to mwje5a sequel I'd need combat at least on the level of MGSV added to justify a purchase.

I also didn't find the Hollywood additions in DS negatively affected the experience.

Hugare

I would like to see some of you guys trying to run a company as big as Sony based on feelings

"The sales of our 5 year investment didnt cover costs? Oh, but that wasn't the point"

Beautiful thing to say during a conference with fans. But totally devoided of any reality.

The cost of AAA productions are as high as ever. Sony will play safe more and more.

Death Stranding didnt sell that well nor was amazingly reviewed. Same thing with Until Dawn, a game that I love dearly, but wont get a sequel, understandably so. OrTheOrder.

vpance

And there you have it, and so it makes sense.

Sony is not a charity.

If Kojima created a tactical shooter game it would have been better received

Even though it was profitable for Kojima I don’t think he’ll make another game like that again. I believe he was expecting more out of it, based on some interviews he did. I think his next will be more crowd pleasing.

Jim will look like a fool if it’s amazing or a a prudent exec if it’s not. Nothing more to know.

Rikku-X

We aren't in 2000s anymore, there is only so far Kojima's weirdness can get him.

Sometimes people just want to kill stuff in their games, without some added meaning to it.

Also, Ryan is a businessman, and those tend not to waste money on experimental crap.
Yet Phil Spencer said yes.

ZywyPL

Banned
Strange if true, with Sony's maniacal focus on TPP cinematic games I'd though that Kojima and David Cage will be the first persons they'll reach for exclusive content...

I would like to see some of you guys trying to run a company as big as Sony based on feelings

"The sales of our 5 year investment didnt cover costs? Oh, but that wasn't the point"

Beautiful thing to say during a conference with fans. But totally devoided of any reality.

The cost of AAA productions are as high as ever. Sony will play safe more and more.

Death Stranding didnt sell that well nor was amazingly reviewed. Same thing with Until Dawn, a game that I love dearly, but wont get a sequel, understandably so. OrTheOrder.

Not a single MP, no Season Passes, no Map Packs, no DLCs, no MTX, they can blame no one but themselves for missreading the market. SP-only AAA titles are cool and all, but as everyone knows are unsustainable unless sold in 10MLN+, and Sony seems not to know how to, let's not be afraid of using the word - milk their games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom