• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did the podcast leave a positive or negative impact on you?

Did the podcast leave a positive or negative impact on you

• Positive.

Votes: 63 17.4%
  • Negative.

Votes: 92 25.3%
  • No effect. Same shit.

Votes: 208 57.3%

• Total voters

Gambit2483

The games are sick. Thats the least of my concern.
For example? If mean if they actually release Fable and State of Decay 3 this year and they are both great (Along with Indiana Jones and Avowed) then I don't see what else would they/could they do...

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

I just think once they put some games on Switch and PS5, why would they stop. Their games are already day one on PC and will be sold on other consoles too. I fully expect franchises like Halo eventually.

This won’t help the struggling hardware and Gamepass. They likely wouldn’t even be doing any of this otherwise.

It was a huge nothing burger.

It feels like the rumors spoiled it, but it also felt reactionary to the rumors. So without the rumors there’s no podcast but with the rumors, the podcast became irrelevant. My favorite comment so far has been: “this could have been an email” and I think that sums it up the best.

Kacho

No effect. I’ve already been out of the Xbox ecosystem so this just reminded me that I made the right choice. The Series X is the last Xbox console I’ll own and I’m no longer buying games on the platform. I’ll be strictly PC + Nintendo going forward.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Can't tell if this is sarcasm...

It clearly isn't.

Are you invested in the xbox eco system? Do you own an Xbox?

Do you have years of games that you have purchased on the xbox store and play across console and pc?

Are you interested in future xbox hardware?

If you answered no to these. 75 percent of the podcast wasn't aimed at you. Pretty simple, really.

Barakov

Gold Member
Negative. Seems like they're still doing old throwing stuff at the wall and see what sticks. I still think they need new leadership in there to right this ship.

C2brixx

You people are not making any sense at all.
You didn't remotely answer my question/concern. You just gave me a Microsoft this/ Microsoft that. No shit they have that data. That data beingt bad and leaked is what caused all this.

My question was:
Who is going to watch this podcast and come away with this notion that Xbox is going to grow? Who watches this and says "Wow, I need to be buying into Xbox?" This is a serious question.
Starfield didn't move the needle (they will not get a bigger exclusive than Starfield any time soon) $349/$149 consoles didn't move the needle. What makes you confident this will?
I think you're too focused on Xbox as a console. Sara Bond had in interesting take on it. She says they're strategy is about having a platform making the games bigger as opposed to games making the platform. She seemed to have the numbers to back it up...

Mortisfacio

I think you're too focused on Xbox as a console. Sara Bond had in interesting take on it. She says they're strategy is about having a platform making the games bigger as opposed to games making the platform. She seemed to have the numbers to back it up...

My only concern here is she says they have double digit growth rate on PC and cloud, but no mention of console.

Leonidas

About what I expected. I voted positive overall since they talked about some future things. Looking forward to see what they announce in the Fall, hoping its the new controller.

I think the podcast left me thinking that Microsoft will test the waters with the four releases but they 100% are going third party - slowly.

I also don’t believe Spencer about no plans to release Starfield or other titles on PS5. I bet Bethesda is optimizing Starfield for Sony right now.

I don’t care about the hardware announcements either. They will sell even fewer Xboxes next gen.

It was somewhat effective damage control.

They know the Series consoles have underperformed and selling some of their games on other platforms can help their revenue while they prepare for next gen. Their base gets reassurance that they’re continuing to fully support Xbox and Gamepass with exclusives and that plans are already underway for future hardware.

Will be interesting to see how that plan gets adjusted if these games sell very well (or very poorly). Will also be interesting to see how this strategy damages or enhances brand perception. Damaging because some will now look at every first party title as a timed console exclusive so no need to ever buy a Xbox console again, but potentially improved if these games are received positively with new audiences.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For me?...........
f5b11771a86351155b14189be8c63e205bd035ee.gifv

Absolutely nothing.

I only have PS5 and Switch, so anything that involves being able to play games I otherwise wouldn't have access to is a positive for me. Especially if one of those games happens to be Hi-Fi Rush, which seems all but confirmed at this point.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Negative. It was all spin, presented by an increasingly unlikeable set of execs. It inspired no confidence in Xbox's strategy or impact on the industry.

Ozzie666

I traded in my Series X just before all this crap and cashed out at the right time. I was never really attached to the ecosystem and used it for gamepass from time to time. So breaking away was easy. I did feel that whole thing was spin and more of the same murky Microsoft messaging we constantly get. There was alot unsaid or between the lines about their future. But at least they will have some mega powerful hardware, which I expect to be a PC box. So I can jump in next generation and give them maybe one more chance.

Gojiira

Thing is outside of Hifi Rush I dont see any of them making a impact on PS or NS. Their simply too old and too niche.
Its obvious why they chose these titles specifically though, HFR and Pentiment are both AA/Indie games, low price tag that made no money due to Gamepass, so a million sales or whatever from other platforms would be easy money. Grounded and SoT is even more obvious, GaaS, grow their playerbase and nickel and dime…
I cant say I feel as a Playstation gamer that it falls to me to help prop up XGS by buying years old games when Xbox will simply use the money they make to ensure I cant play games I actually care about and no doubt others down the line.
They should have confirmed ling running franchises were coming to PS/NS, games like Fallout,Doom,Elder Scrolls.
Fuck your dregs and GaaS, Idc how good they are…

rapid32.5

No difference, I’m more amazed at how many studios MS has acquired but no game to be hyped about. Them doing multi platform means more studios will be doing same ports and less devs available for new titles.

wipeout364

I am fine with their strategy. Especially if they keep building out their Xbox on PC platform. I understand why Sony fans are doing victory laps but honestly despite the poor messaging I do think Microsoft is correct that consoles days are numbered.

As usual they are forward thinking but screw up the timing of the messaging, as they have done with every console. The next gen will probably be taking us out to 2035 and will likely be the last, does anyone really think dedicated consoles will be a thing by then? I personally don’t think they will be but I would be happy to be wrong.

Sucks to be one of the folks who've invested thousands of dollars into their Xbox library. I'm going to sympathize with them because I would hate to see my digital library become useless. Probably going to switch back to physical games.

CLW

I am fine with their strategy. Especially if they keep building out their Xbox on PC platform. I understand why Sony fans are doing victory laps but honestly despite the poor messaging I dothink Microsoft is correct that consoles days are numbered.

As usual they are forward thinking but screw up the timing of the messaging, as they have done with every console. The next gen will probably be taking us out to 2035 and will likely be the last, does anyone really think dedicated consoles will be a thing by then? I personally don’t think they will be but I would be happy to be wrong.
Like all the “expert” gaming “journalists” that predicted PS3 would be the last generation of console

iHaunter

Xbox team proved they don't know their ass from their elbow and have no clear plan for the future. Port begging to reduce the financial impact of these poor buyouts and produced games.

Cyberpunkd

Also, why was it interview format? They obviously made the questions for her to read out.
Hubris.

As my mother said there are three kinds of people:
1. People that work hard and have shit PR
2. People that are terrible at what they do but have great PR
3. People that work hard and have great PR

Guess what number is Phil and co.?

I don’t get why this was an event? Coulda been a paragraph email. Does anyone actually care about this stuff in the real world? Am I missing what the big deal was

SJRB

Gold Member
Spencer talking about growth and growing as a platform for 15 minutes was exhausting, especially because he made it seem like the Xbox sales numbers weren't a complete dumpster fire they're never going to recover from. They just completely bypassed the terrible sales numbers and acted like everything was cool.

He then proceeded to make the perfect argument for going multiplatform ("more players, so more sales") while at the same time saying they're not really going multiplatform. Only a little. For now. But we can never now for sure. So maybe they will. But not now. Probably.

Plus being all mysterious about the four games going multiplat while the titles were basically spelled out was super annoying.

I don't know, the vibe was off, they seemed annoyed they had to address this and didn't do so in a very inspiring or confident way.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Can I ask you how did it reassure you then?

I've posted it like ten times in different threads over the last 24 hours but basically it boils down to them easing the only concerns I had. From top to bottom in most important to me.

- They re iterated that xbox is going no where and that Microsoft has a responsibility to look after anyone that has invested in their eco system over the last 20 years. Looking at how they handled bc which is still untouched by anyone else. And how all your purchases are forward and backward compatible. My account and investments are safe and I trust them on that.

- new powerful hardware is coming and maybe a handheld. Great news. New hardware that I can stuff under my tv and keep enjoying my invested content and game pass. Just what I wanted.

- ten games coming this year. More unannounced stuff for this year, which is already stacked from them!

- games are going multi platform but their reasoning is completely logical and there is no way Ms are talking miss truths. You would have to be a blind fanboy to not see what is happening within the industry. Xbox will still be the best place to play Xbox games. Be it console or pc. Thanks to day one game pass sticking around etc.

All in all a super positive podcast and I can't see how anyone would spin it as a negative unless they said things you didn't want to hear in terms of games going to other platforms.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
XBOX has been on the same path since 2013 and how many secret docs have leaked since then? anybody shocked by anything happening recently isn't paying attention

Banjo64

cumsessed
Phil Spencer is the master of talking out both sides of his mouth. On the podcast says that Indy and Starfield are not coming to the other consoles. In Tom Warren's article he says they might come out! Shifty idiot he is. He is a liar and doesn't really ever tell the truth. Xbox is losing a war and they have been trying to shift the way the game is played. Trouble is, no one else wants to play that game (game pass, cloud gaming etc...)!
He never said that, but this is an example of his careful double speak. He said those 2 games are not part of the 4 currently slated for release this year. So not even a denial as such, just a ‘not yet’.

Wizz-Art

First of all; It's still nice being a “green rat”!

After the short Xbox business podcast many “blue ponies” were left in shambles. They thought the floodgates would be opened but at the end we got confirmation that Xbox will keep the exclusives strategy they already had in place and only bring the games to the other consoles that make sense without damaging the Xbox brand itself. Like the smaller games and a half a decade old GaaS game. They already were multiplatform with huge IP's like Minecraft, CoD, FO76, ESO and the smaller Ori games and something they helped finance like Cuphead and From Dusk till Dawn etc., nothing new really.

Now the fans from the blue brand are some kind left in a dilemma, they've heard what Phil said and that it all depends how hungry the gamers are on the other consoles. Meaning they have to purchase those games in crazy enough numbers to Xbox even consider that they'll release other small crumbles to their platform of choice, which will be a problem.

Knowing that the “blue ponies” always said that the "green rats" have no games or at least no good ones, it would be a miracle if those 4 titles will sell enough copies on their platform. So the experiment will be seen as a failure and no other crumbles will ever come to PS. The other not very likely scenario; It will be a massive succes and other crumbles will follow in the future. But that must mean PS fans really do love XBOX games, unlike what we kept hearing so far.

A Win-Win is positive!

Last edited:

skit_data

No effect, same shit.
They communicated in the way expected on the topic of publishing games on the other platforms.

The part about Phil not seeing exclusives being a part of the industry in the future was a bit on the nose but despite that being a pretty blatant translation of

"hey, we're going to publish more games on other platforms because thats our prediction of the future"

some people think the 4 games mentioned are all there are and ever will be. That last part is pretty surprising.

No desire to listen to MS suits in wannabe cool T-shirts and their confident but too often empty words. They flip flop too much to trust any of their promises. Let the future game releases do the talking.

Going sort of third party, at least temporarily, and maybe only to some limited extent seems like a good idea though, and I don't really understand how MS should be worse off (the gloom and doom hysteria), when the majority of their devs were third party previously and did fine and lost probably quite some money by trying to move people over, purposely losing the main console platform. I expected GP to have a much bigger impact by now, even without great first party titles, but maybe this strategy finally works. (and doing exclusives next gen, will mean more than now when everyone ignores them)

Now they can and have to finally establish themselves as a publisher who brings the goods, or doesn't. Either way if on their own or other platforms too, doesn't matter much if the games are not attractive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom