• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[THE VERGE] Microsoft’s gaming chief on Xbox games coming to PS5, next-gen hardware, and more

Elios83

…Warren selectively crops that quote since he doesn’t want to admit he was completely wrong.
The full quote for that includes ‘Console + PC’ as part of what he’s talking about. And that’s where we’re seeing the industry go, even with PlayStation.

Nintendo’s the only holdout.

They just want to cook fans like you slowly:

You mentioned that Starfield and Indiana Jones aren't part of the four despite rumors, but will those ever come to PS5? Can you rule that out?

I don't think we should as an industry ever rule out a game going to any other platform. We're focused on these four games and learning from the experience.
But I don't want to create a false expectation on those other platforms that this is somehow the first four to get over the dam and then the dam's going to open and that everything else is coming, that's not the plan today. I also don't want to mislead customers on those other platforms. We're launching these four games, and we're excited about it. We're excited about the announce and everything else, but we'll see what happens for our business

"I don't want to mislead anyone but I'm doing precisely that". I can't rule out, that's not the plan *today* :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Lupin25

Yuuuuuup. Just a reminder to not believe "everything you read and see" unless it's actually confirmed and has proof. So many people freaked out about nothing and it was ridiculous, lol.

They didn’t rule anything out, as usual.

If they really care about game sales, it won’t be just those 4 by the end of the gen.

It’s probably why CoD won’t come to gamepass for awhile. It’s their best selling-game right now.

Ozriel

M$FT
They just want to cook fans like you slowly:

"I don't want to mislead anyone but I'm doing precisely that". I can't rule out, that's not the plan *today* :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Seems more like it’s you folks being cooked slowly. It’s always the hope that gets you in the end 😀

If you’re a fan of competition in the flagship console space, today’s podcast was pretty good.

But it’ll be interesting to see how many times you people post that frog meme while waiting for ports.

Ozriel

M$FT
It’s probably why CoD won’t come to gamepass for awhile. It’s their best selling-game right now.

They’re pushing out the GP release for older games for a while to try to mop up residual sales, but they’re certainly extremely clear on all Xbox First Party games landing on GamePass day one. And that’ll include Call of Duty games at launch.

MiguelItUp

They didn’t rule anything out, as usual.

If they really care about game sales, it won’t be just those 4 by the end of the gen.

Of course not, and they made that clear. There are already outlets stating that they've basically said they're open to other possibilities. But that 4 are "known" ATM. Maybe, but who knows, MW3 while still COD (and surely still sold fine) didn't blow doors off the hinges like previous releases in terms of sales numbers, etc.

NickFire

Maybe slow dripping to neuter the backlash. Maybe they really don't plan to. My bet is the slow drip. They did not announce anything to suggest their position will be changed in the next couple of years. The sales of the initial games will be their cover for the next batch, and so on and so on. And if I am wrong I don't really care. Nothing was announced to make me wish I had a second console either.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It's only gonna be 4 games.

But let me spend the next 20 minutes explaining why multiplatform is great

Everyone knows it's not going to be only 4 games but Philly boy actually did a pretty good job of how and why they have to communicate it like they have.

- Microsoft are testing the waters and want to do their best to navigate this without setting incorrect expectations, and ultimately disappointing any side. They are starting with 4 games to see how they sell. If it makes business sense to release more, they will but they can't set the expectation that more will 100% come as if they released these games and none of the Sony camp buy them, then it probably doesnt make sense to release more.

Just to add, they 100% will release more games, be it 12 months later or not...they will release more games on PS5 and you are ignoring the writing on the wall if you refuse to believe this.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Its only 4 games for now. But whats the point if they stop there?

If SoT ends up generating decent revenue on PS5, they likely will release more of their GaaS titles. If Hi Fi Rush succeeds, I think their more niche games will pop up on other systems more often.

These games are fairly harmless to do first, SoT is old by now and a GaaS game. Hi Fi Rush is rather small, and old by now too. Its not like they start with project with something huge like Forza Horizon which will certainly cause a backlash.

But who knows. Sony doesn't have an answer to FH. Only The Crew which is multi and pretty much a more cheap knockoff. They don't start with this, but once this strategy has settled I could imagine they gradually go for bigger names and eventually their big hitters after a timed period.

GHG

Sous-vide Frog more like...

qlK8nKo.jpg

Edit: come to think of it an Xbox branded sous vide pot needs to be their next kitchen appliance. I'd buy one.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
They’re pushing out the GP release for older games for a while to try to mop up residual sales, but they’re certainly extremely clear on all Xbox First Party games landing on GamePass day one. And that’ll include Call of Duty games at launch.
Game Pass sub continues to be the best deal in gaming, with Activision content starting in March with D4, even more so.

LordCBH

I’m 100% willing to bet a PS5 version of Starfield is in active development. Based on his response to that question it is definitely coming, he just doesn’t want to admit the big guns are making the jump yet.

EDMIX

That's a pretty safe bet, since it was in development for PS (4 or 5, but regardless) before Phil came by waving a bunch dollaroos from business daddy.

Truth, for all we know, it never really stopped.

They are likely just waiting till they are done before announcing it to allow for its sales on PC and XB to continue.

At this point, it just sounds like they are not saying other games now cause they need the port teams to finish them up or something.

Asypr being busy with KOTOR Remake (let me believe) Bluepoint games working on a new IP and now owned by Sony, Virtuos working on MGS3 remake and rumor Oblivion Remake, some of the top port teams are pretty busy (or bought up)

So I feel some are likely outsourced and some are being done in house

splattered

New hardware this holiday so.... handheld? Mid generation refresh everyone thought was canceled? Just the digital only series x?

Ar¢tos

I’m 100% willing to bet a PS5 version of Starfield is in active development. Based on his response to that question it is definitely coming, he just doesn’t want to admit the big guns are making the jump yet.
They are busy making NPC faces less "realistic" so the Playstation version is slightly "inferior". It will release after that.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
New hardware this holiday so.... handheld? Mid generation refresh everyone thought was canceled? Just the digital only series x?
Imagine if their "options" are an already faltering Series X or this refreshed Series X thats all digital for the same price as the PS5 Pro

That will go over well

Mr.Phoenix

Its only 4 games for now. But whats the point if they stop there?

If SoT ends up generating decent revenue on PS5, they likely will release more of their GaaS titles. If Hi Fi Rush succeeds, I think their more niche games will pop up on other systems more often.

These games are fairly harmless to do first, SoT is old by now and a GaaS game. Hi Fi Rush is rather small, and old by now too. Its not like they start with project with something huge like Forza Horizon which will certainly cause a backlash.

But who knows. Sony doesn't have an answer to FH. Only The Crew which is multi and pretty much a more cheap knockoff. They don't start with this, but once this strategy has settled I could imagine they gradually go for bigger names and eventually their big hitters after a timed period.
Heres a question. Say they release these four games in 2024. If by June 2025, a fifth game is released, and then by September a 6th....etc. Should we then assume that they decided to port and only worked on those ports or games in 6 months for the PS5? or should we assume that it was the plan all along since June 2023 and Phil PR'ed the hell outta everyone?

On another note...

I think some people are just either extremely gullible, ignorant or in denial.

• No one said that Xbox is going to announce they are coming outta the traditional hardware race this week. What was said was that if they start releasing their games on PS5, especially after seeing what releasing on PC has done, there is only one way that would go. And it would take years, but that would be the start.

• A lot of us said they would confirm, in as off-handedly a way as possible while making it look like some no-consequence decision, no-brainer approach, that some games are coming to PS5, and then they would say going forward it would be a case by case thing... that's pretty much exactly what they did, but I feel some Xbox fans set up this weird extreme false narrative that they would be announcing Xbox hardware is gone. Whereas no one said that, that was never the conversation being had, so its like as long as MS says, hey we are still making Xbox hardware, then its like what we really were talking about that happened... didnt happen.
I really struggle to understand how people don't see it. While the decision announced yesterday, was probably made as far back as June last year, arriving at that point, was 6 years in the making. The sequence of events that led to that didn't just happen overnight. And now, a new sequence of events is about to start, and just like gamepass and gamepass on PC before it, the Xbox faithful as always, seem blind to the obvious.... again. I don't get it.

Ah well, its fun to watch none the less.

Killjoy-NL

Game Pass sub continues to be the best deal in gaming, with Activision content starting in March with D4, even more so.
Best deal in gaming*

but only at heavily discounted prices

Wasn't it brought to the attention in that GP thread from today that there has been a decline in GP subs, so it still can't break the 30M threshold, despite being available on PC as well?

Last edited:

TrippleA345

I'm just laughing at people trying to spin it as some sort of a win or a "nothing burger."

Phil essentially confirmed the multiplatform future. But I guess you don't believe what you don't wanna believe lol.
In other words, yesterday plus the interviews they explained what the future for Xbox will look like. Everything will be available everywhere. It is crystal clear. This is the new direction after the "adventure" of Spencer and the xbox leadership. Microsoft Leaders looked at the number like Nadella and said they had enough time, 9 years after Minecraft Aquisition we are behind many metrics, now we are calling for a new strategy. The new strategy is a fairly obvious Multi platform, as they explained yesterday.
Even Timdog understood that lol

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
He also said the above quoted part 🤷🏼‍♂️
What else he could have said at this stage? That "don't worry, all games are coming to PS and Nintendo?"

A few years ago, he also said this:

TzG9x16.jpg

We can and should deduce that 2+2 = 4 even if someone else says that it is 5.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Everyone knows it's not going to be only 4 games but Philly boy actually did a pretty good job of how and why they have to communicate it like they have.

- Microsoft are testing the waters and want to do their best to navigate this without setting incorrect expectations, and ultimately disappointing any side. They are starting with 4 games to see how they sell. If it makes business sense to release more, they will but they can't set the expectation that more will 100% come as if they released these games and none of the Sony camp buy them, then it probably doesnt make sense to release more.

Just to add, they 100% will release more games, be it 12 months later or not...they will release more games on PS5 and you are ignoring the writing on the wall if you refuse to believe this.
This is the most sensible post.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Yep. And it's only fair. If the games don't sell well on PS and Nintendo (if the porting costs are higher than the sales revenue), it doesn't make sense to pursue this new multiplatform strategy.

That'll open another can of worms for Xbox, but that's a separate discussion.

They will see the ROI and will decide which game to release next and when.

The games chosen for the "starter" pack are quite well chosen, the perfect balance between screwing up the third party and not angering your fanbase too much and also sold with the lie of the "experiment" when they already know in advance that only Hifi Rush will make a few extra million and the others will sell a pittance, so what kind of conclusion do they expect to draw? Or is it that this conclusion does not matter and the decision has already been made no matter what happens....the maneuver can be seen coming for miles.

Yep. And it's only fair. If the games don't sell well on PS and Nintendo (if the porting costs are higher than the sales revenue), it doesn't make sense to pursue this new multiplatform strategy.

That'll open another can of worms for Xbox, but that's a separate discussion.

They will see the ROI and will decide which game to release next and when.

It's going to be interesting to see how the extra install base will impact those sales. But if people are not interested then it's going to be a problem for them since they are going multiplatform to fix an issue they already have.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It's going to be interesting to see how the extra install base will impact those sales. But if people are not interested then it's going to be a problem for them since they are going multiplatform to fix an issue they already have.
Exactly. Hence, the "new can of worms."

This is what Xbox is betting on to get them out of their financial trouble. If their games do not sell well on PS5 and Switch, there will be negative consequences for Game Pass, in-development games, and even entire studios.

Last edited:

TheHTIC

Neo Member
What else he could have said at this stage? That "don't worry, all games are coming to PS and Nintendo?"

A few years ago, he also said this:

TzG9x16.jpg

We can and should deduce that 2+2 = 4 even if someone else says that it is 5.

Just going by what he said. People are saying he said something he didn't, he also said he's not promising a crap-ton of games besides the ones mentioned. If he lied that's on him but outside of what he said is just more speculation and wishful thinking. He may come back and release all games on other platforms but he also said that FOR NOW that's not the plan and to not expect that but people literally are expecting it. I don't care to be honest but people are picking and choosing which parts to run with by conveniently ignoring the parts they want.

Top Bottom