• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan said 'No' to Kojima's next game - XboxEra Podcast

Azurro

Banned
Im a PC fan and fan of Japanese designs and Kojima, and also value buys like GP. To me, PC is great value for instance. I can do a lot of work on it and so i wont hesitate to pay more. 🤷‍♀️

I only had the Xbox OG and owned PS1.2.3.PSP.Vita.

So yes i am concerned with the direction Jimbo is taking my Sony.

You are a pest and bring nothing worthy of discussion to this board. I don't mean that in an insulting way, just an accurate description of you.

if this rumor is legitimate, I don’t think you should turn down Hideo Kojima which is one of the most legendary game designers of all time and run him off to the “wealthy” competition. If Microsoft accepts his game, I don’t care if it’s a Mahjong, dating-sim game, it will be a loss, make headlines and could potentially leave a bad taste in Hideo’s mouth for future Sony projects. Then again, if the rumors are true, did Google/Stadia even turn down his game? Makes me wonder what exactly was wrong with it. I got a feeling Sony felt like it looked too quirky, wouldn’t be a multi-million seller or it didn’t fit their more Western-oriented style.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Or maybe, just maybe... some hardcore genuine fans of the PlayStation platform are concerned with the current direction? :pie_thinking:

I'm platform agnostic but from my perspective, Sony is currently trending towards the Don Mattrick Xbox era. It's *nowhere* near as bad, of course. But even 1% of that kind of CEO influence is always bad news for hardcore fans who are primarily invested in that platform. More so for fans who have been around since the PS1.
I am one of those fans and also platform agnostic.
But the proof is what we have in our hands.
One platform holder has released a small handful of exclusive titles post release of their console whilst the other has made a flurry of exciting promises whilst delivering nothing.

If you were to lay it all out on the table you’d see that Microsoft are throwing shit at the wall in the attempt to get more subs on GP which is full of upscaled old games whilst purchasing a studio who hasn’t released a good game in years and throwing cash at creatives for “something”.

On the other hand weaker hardware is matching or outdoing it’s rival and there are several exclusive titles on that platform which have impressed massively (Demons souls, MM, Soulstorm) with more to come whilst also offering a unique expertise to existing titles through the dualsense and SSD accessibility.

Sometimes we need to take a step back and see the bigger picture. Also let’s not forget Jim Ryan is new to this role and will likely make mistakes along the way as all people do in a new position as senior as his. They will be stronger through their mistakes.

Ellery

Who are these guys and why don't they know the difference between a remaster and a remake?

Is it like a fan podcast from xbox people from resetera?

Esppiral

Is fascinating reading the comments, now it looks like Kojima games are trash when they have been praised to death in this exact forum....

wipeout364

To be fair to PlayStation and Jim Ryan what’s the point of saying anything when they have no consoles to sell. Why stoke the fire if you can’t throw any fuel on it to keep it going? They need to get their shit together in actually getting consoles into home before worrying about demand. They might as well save their ammo for when there are systems sitting on shelves at bestbuy, Amazon and Walmart.
I suspect we are going to be supply constrained into 2023 or further out given the shortages across all industries in electronic parts.

FMX

Honestly, Kojima is known for burning through money. Can you really blame Ryan for this? Being a fanboy and a businessman is 2 different things. If it doesn't make financial sense then don't do it. That is common sense.

Alright

Banned
Kojima : "Hello Mr Ryan, i have a new game i want to pitch to you"

Ryan: "Go on..."

Kojima: "Well it's like DS, except this game REALLY gets good after, not 50 hours, but 100 hours!"

Ryan: "What do you do for the first 99 hours..."

Kojima: "It's set under water and you have to resurface every 30 seconds to breathe and it takes 99 hours before you can swim for 2 minutes without resurfacing"

Ryan: "...get out"

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I have a feeling this game will be episodic + relies on cloud technology kinda game.

thelastword

Banned
People are pretending you should keep studios running just because of nostalgia even if they are not pulling their weight on investments made....Business is business, you can't keep putting money into ventures that are not pulling the relevant returns.....If business was made on whose feelings are hurt because the Studio who made some of the favorite games is no longer as strong and viable is being restructured and shuttered, then Sony would go bankrupt just trying to keep some entitled forumites happy....and it's not as if they are not investing in quirky type games and risky adventures....They are at pole position in that regard with those type of investments with VR, Death Stranding, Until Dawn, Detroit, Gravity Rush, Dreams, and so many more last gen.....

The crazy thing is....I loved me some Drive Club, best racer last gen, but Evo has been struggling to pull off a launch for several games. They needed to hit the meta out the park and get the relevant sales to push a sequel, but they had several botched launches. No one in their right mind believes DC was peanuts to produce, it was not, EVO was bleeding with many staff members getting paid huge salaries and not pulling their weight, hence the reason they let lots of the top brass at EVO go before DC shipped.....When Yoshida expected the game to ship on launch it was not ready and there were several delays to launch and some development and content milestones for the project...

Japan Studio has given us some great games, but nothing that's lighting the sales chart on fire for a minute....Gravity Rush 1 and 2 are good games, but they are no Spiderman, granted not every game is, but you want your studio to hit one out the park interspersed with the games that round the library....Profit is still the endgame, because you can't keep those investments coming at a loss. So of course Sony has to be careful what it green lights....I loved 1886, but those reviews were not great and I would love a sequel, but let's be honest it is a risk to finance 1887 if RAD does not put a critical darling out there......These games aren't cheap to make...Going back to Japan Studio, Clap Hanz etc...I would love to see these old games evolve or these studios evolving just the same....Hot shots was great in the PS1/PS2 era but the PS3 game I felt did not even evolve that much graphically from these titles and I played HS to tatters on PS1.....

The truth is, what would you do.....Naughty always delivers, their reviews and sales are guaranteed, Santa Monica always delivers.....Poliphony always deliver the sales, Guerilla has shown what they can do since KZ2.....Insomniac are guaranteed solid performers....Why would these guys not get pole position for Sony funds? I would love another Heavenly Sword another DC, a sequel to 1886, but I'm not naive to see the inherent risks vs the battalion commanders named above....Even then, nobody is taking more risks in the space than Sony, they greenlit Returnal, they had Astro team to deliver the best platform game in ages in VR last gen, they greenlit Stray and many others......No one is going to get starved of varied content here....There will be lots for everybody and lots of new IP's......

Salz01

Kojima has always been overrated. His last good, complete game was Metal Gear Solid 3. That game fired on all cylinders. Metal Gear solid 4, was decent but IMHO, not as good as 3. I don’t know what metal gear 5 was.... but it felt like a mess. I haven’t played Death Stranding, but on streaming videos it looks like a complete bore. It was way overhyped. Kojima is only popular because he comes from Japan, and he tweets weird shit.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Kojima has always been overrated. His last good, complete game was Metal Gear Solid 3. That game fired on all cylinders. Metal Gear solid 4, was decent but IMHO, not as good as 3. I don’t know what metal gear 5 was.... but it felt like a mess. I haven’t played Death Stranding, but on streaming videos it looks like a complete bore. It was way overhyped. Kojima is only popular because he comes from Japan, and he tweets weird shit.
MGS5 supposed to be the best but i think there is a lot of cut content, pacing doesn't seem right to me.

Is fascinating reading the comments, now it looks like Kojima games are trash when they have been praised to death in this exact forum....
Kojima games get both. Always. This “ now it looks like they trash” narrative is bullshit. People always shit on Kojima. Death Stranding got so many “walking simulator hur dur!” drive bys what a bs narrative.

It is really pathetic people trying to craft these narratives for console warring. Kojima has always been one of the most controversial directors in gaming quit pretending this is a new thing because Xbox. Xbox is not special.

Last edited:

SoraNoKuni

Personally I really liked DS, Gameplay, Plot, Soundtrack, Acting, Directing/Photography(Had so many easter eggs from non blockbuster cinema), a lot of references on literature(Woman in dunes, Strugatsky bros)

I recall Kojima talking a lot about triple A games on the go, how the trend is shifting to smaller screens(Watching movies on a smartphone, PC/Laptop, TV and how you can proceed to continue the movie/series on a different device) maybe xcloud has something to do with that game, maybe some weird AR interaction with the real world? That could explain why Sony declined to fund it because it's an experimental KojiPro game?

No idea really I am pulling all of this out of my arse and it's pure specula, but it doesn't make sense for Sony to decline if it was just another Kojima game, they know Kojima is like the Christopher Nolan of gaming, convoluted stuff that always are succesfull, more or less.

Last edited:
Jim Ryan is so tight, he says no to almost everything.

Unless it is headed by a woman... he couldn't shut down Mm bacause it's run by a woman and he gave the Canadian woman money, even though she hasn't made a game in over a decade. He will have a casting couch next...
I thought only focusing on mega-budget blockbusters was a bad thing, what with all the hysteria surrounding Jason Shreiers piece?

Kerotan

This doesn’t make any sense. Think about the fans that are freaking out about these news, and it’s definitely not Xbox fans...
I've not heard a single person I'm friends with on psn freak out about anything. Literally nobody owns an Xbox or even talks about it. It might as well not exist.

I'm ranked in the top 10 in my country for warzone wins so naturally I've added a shit ton of people and play with a lot of different people on warzone. On the very rare occasion we have to enable cross play because somebody's friend is on Xbox we're always like how can you play warzone on Xbox because they're forced to use cross play which means games ruined by pc hackers. And they're like yeah I'm going to get a Ps5 why they become easier to get. Xbox is dead in Europe.

PooBone

I was actually talking about their games output over the course of the generation since I bought the console after kinect was removed from the package.

But then I shouldn't have been surprised with the fact that it was impossible to have a reasonable conversation about their piss poor game output and OS performance over the course of the generation because the vast majority of the people who bought that console in its early years were the DRM apologists.
Get a grip. You have no clue what influences people’s personal gaming decisions, just like you don’t know that a majority of millions of gamers were “apologists” for a shitty feature that was removed after a short time BY DEMAND.

The Alien

Banned
I hear Sonybsaying NO because they didn't wanna sink a blank check into a Kojima game. Death Stranding wasn't very warmly received.
I dont think that'll stop Microsoftnfrom pursuing.

Not sure about episodic, but hearing some Podcasters are saying the game will be focused on cloud....which would be a Microsoft strength.

Holammer

i hear jim ryan kicked a puppy then drank its blood too

this fanfiction is getting retarded and making this place impossible to read because the forum is clogged with this garbage
My sources claim (take with a pinch of salt as I cannot independently verify this) that it was a mixed breed Poodle called Snowdrop.
Uploading clickbait video to youtube right now!

Thirty7ven

Banned
Death Stranding had Hollywood names and faces, well known pop artists, a famous director in Kojima that is very popular with the PlayStation fan base, tons of dev and tech support from Sony’s best and had a scaled up marketing campaign to go along with it.

Clearly a very expensive project that made use of the production pipeline of WWS and in the end... was it a hit? Commercially and critically it was neither.

Would I give him a big budget to make some cloud game? Kojima, who made his name and career on the back of military fantasy with a huge dose of cinematic flair?

Answer is fuck no, come on.

sinnergy

Death Stranding had Hollywood names and faces, well known pop artists, a famous director in Kojima that is very popular with the PlayStation fan base, tons of dev and tech support from Sony’s best and had a scaled up marketing campaign to go along with it.

Clearly a very expensive project that made use of the production pipeline of WWS and in the end... was it a hit? Commercially and critically it was neither.

Would I give him a big budget to make some cloud game? Kojima, who made his name and career on the back of military fantasy with a huge dose of cinematic flair?

Answer is fuck no, come on.
Now he is shit , you read it here first folks.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I hate to point this out, but its not Ryan's job to greenlight projects. He's way above that in the corporate hierarchy, and appoints people to make these decisions on his behalf because he's got other things to do, like running the entire division!

So anyone asserting this, really needs some concrete evidence of why the literal head of Playstation would want to involve himself.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I hate to point this out, but its not Ryan's job to greenlight projects. He's way above that in the corporate hierarchy, and appoints people to make these decisions on his behalf because he's got other things to do, like running the entire division!
I think he said that they have a type of board of people. But remember Andy House personally gave Kojima the greenlight and anything he needed lat time.

Bergoglio

1. Was Death Stranding a system seller?

2. Has it changed the gaming market?

3. Has it raised the bar in any way?

4. Is a game that will be remembered for years to come?

No. So don't be worried if he's working on an xbox exclusive, because Kojima was a master during the Metal Gear Solid Era, but today, today is just a game director with some weird ideas.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Or maybe you should apply to Derek Zoolander’s center for kids who can’t read good.

gas gasoline GIF

PlayStation right now!

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I like the musical band Soundgarden.

I did not care for King Animal (their last album).

It's possible that Hideo Kojimas best creative days are behind him. If Kojimas next 3 years is a pursuit of a horror game that would sell 3 million copies on PS5, I'm OK with Jim Ryan preferring to use those resources elsewhere.

We can't judge Jim Ryan until we see what he passed on.

v_iHuGi

Banned
wow people turn fast. everyone was praising Kojima but now he is rumored to be working with MS and Jimbob Ryan refused to work with him everyone is acting like they never really liked Kojima.

Death Stranding was a hot garbage but he was testing the waters, sequel would probably be lit as Fuck.

KingT731

Kojima games get both. Always. This “ now it looks like they trash” narrative is bullshit. People always shit on Kojima. Death Stranding got so many “walking simulator hur dur!” drive bys what a bs narrative.

It is really pathetic people trying to craft these narratives for console warring. Kojima has always been one of the most controversial directors in gaming quit pretending this is a new thing because Xbox. Xbox is not special.
It's crazy because you can tell who didn't play DS because most of them didn't even know you could get guns...let alone the numerous upgrades that make traversal of terrain and delivery significantly quicker and easier.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I think he said that they have a type of board of people. But remember Andy House personally gave Kojima the greenlight and anything he needed lat time.

Yes there's a committee system for external projects; When you pitch something the first step is getting creative sign-off in principle. This basically means you have someone inside the company to advocate for the project at a greenlight meeting where a bunch of commissioning producers will take a closer look - this used to be a monthly thing back in the day.

Top Bottom