• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan: All future cross-gen titles, including God of War and GT7, will be $10 upgrades from PS4 to PS5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sony were the first publisher to announce the $70 next gen versions, no? It's pretty much expected at this point.

Cant get outraged over something that was confirmed literally a year ago.
They were the ones pushing that shit. And people still support them, I don't even know why I bought a PS5, brand loyalty I guess. But I'm definitely buy an Xbox this gen, as soon as they get some fucking games lol.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Not just PlayStation tbh. The industry in general shouldn’t be charging £70 a game. I’ve not bought a game at over £40 for years and years now. I don’t even remember the last time.

I am buying Elden Ring at launch but only because my PS5 was a bundle that came with a £50 PSN credit.

Inflation, though. £40 in 2010 is over £50 now so your hard target is getting lower and lower by the year.

:goog_unsure:

Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Sackboy A Big Adventure, and Horizon Forbidden West will also launch on PS4. While these three games were designed to take advantage of PS5 and its unique next-gen features like the ultra-high-speed SSD and DualSense controller, PS4 owners will also be able to enjoy these experiences when they launch. The PS4 digital versions of launch games include a free upgrade on both PS5 consoles, while the PS4 disc versions of these games include a free upgrade on the PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-Ray disc drive.
"Launch" games? 🤔
"These" = the aforementioned "Launch games" ? 🤔

There's something in the wording there or it's just me seeing things.

The Shepard

If the ps5 version is no diffrent from the ps4 version minus a texture, 4k 60fps boost then this is disgusting when 3rd party studios are doing the ps5 versions for free. I'm guessing god of war is the same. Looks like I'll be going back to physical for Sony releases. I brought rachet and clank brand new for £35 off eBay recently rather than the £70 on psn because I refuse to pay the 70.

Last edited:

Amaranty

Nope, they are making two different versions of the game. Similar to what they did with Spiderman miles morales.

Finally someone with common sense

If they make the PS4 version a free upgrade than people will just buy the PS4 edition which is $10 cheaper instead of the PS5 version to get a “free upgrade”.

What Sony should have done here is make cross gen games $60 cross the board because honestly besides 60 fps, 4K and haptics from the dualsense I don’t think the PS5 edition will be that much different from the PS4 edition.
I don't think there's much common sense having a $10 difference between the same game, nevermind that they're both on Sony consoles.

I wonder if Sony ever releases the game on PC, will they also put out two versions? $60 for limited graphics and $70 for unlimited graphics?

Not having a next gen console is exactly the issue. What do You do if You want to play horizon on your PS4 and then buy a ps5 when You find one? You either have to buy the game twice or pay for the deluxe edition when You don’t care for that content. There needs to be a 10$ upgrade path digitally
Its simple..... if you plan to get a PS5 but you have a PS4 and want to play the game at launch on PS4 than just spend the extra $20 and get the Deluxe edition or don't buy the game until you can get a PS5.

PS4 edition = $60
PS5 edition = $70
PS4 edition + PS5 edition + Bonus Content = $80

I believe the directors cut for Ghost of Tsushima was actually more expensive with a $30 upgrade fee for PS5 owners with the standard PS4 edition of Ghost of Tsushima who purchased the PS4 game at launch.

(At launch) Ghost of Tsushima on PS4 = $60
Ghost of Tsushima directors cut for PS5 upgrade= $30
Total = $90

If the ps5 version is no diffrent from the ps4 version minus a texture, 4k 60fps boost then this is disgusting when 3rd party studios are doing the ps5 versions for free. I'm guessing god of war is the same. Looks like I'll be going back to physical for Sony releases.
You can expect some controller gimmicks for the bow, dodgerolls and so on.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Inflation, though. £40 in 2010 is over £50 now so your hard target is getting lower and lower by the year.
Wages don’t rise with the rate of inflation in the UK.

I could have bought a terraced house for £30k in the year 2000. That same house is £170k now, 21 years later. My wage hasn’t shot up to match this increased cost in living.

Last edited:
This is pretty bad in my opinion, and the kind of BS that is stopping me getting a PS5 anytime soon, especially compared to how MS do their Smart Delivery

Mr.ODST

Sony never mentioned that.

"Additionally, we know that the PS4 community will transition to PS5 at different times, and we’re happy to announce PS4 versions of some of our exclusives. Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Sackboy A Big Adventure, and Horizon Forbidden West will also launch on PS4. While these three games were designed to take advantage of PS5 and its unique next-gen features like the ultra-high-speed SSD and DualSense controller, PS4 owners will also be able to enjoy these experiences when they launch. The PS4 digital versions of launch games include a free upgrade on both PS5 consoles, while the PS4 disc versions of these games include a free upgrade on the PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-Ray disc drive."

They literally said it lol

I don't think there's much common sense having a $10 difference between the same game, nevermind that they're both on Sony consoles.

I wonder if Sony ever releases the game on PC, will they also put out two versions? $60 for limited graphics and $70 for unlimited graphics?
^I agree and said that already

If you look back in this thread I said that cross gen games should have the standard $60 price.

ethomaz

Banned

"Additionally, we know that the PS4 community will transition to PS5 at different times, and we’re happy to announce PS4 versions of some of our exclusives. Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Sackboy A Big Adventure, and Horizon Forbidden West will also launch on PS4. While these three games were designed to take advantage of PS5 and its unique next-gen features like the ultra-high-speed SSD and DualSense controller, PS4 owners will also be able to enjoy these experiences when they launch. The PS4 digital versions of launch games include a free upgrade on both PS5 consoles, while the PS4 disc versions of these games include a free upgrade on the PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-Ray disc drive."

Read again lol
They did not... they clearly says "of launch games" for free upgrades.

And indeed launch games had free upgrades.

Last edited:

elliot5

They didn't. Read it carefully. They announced PS4 versions of games announced during the PS5 reveal, including Horizon. They also say launch games (for PS5) will get free upgrades. Horizon was not and is not a PS5 launch game, thus, no free upgrade.

Mr.ODST

Read again lol
They did not... they clearly says "of launch games" for free upgrades.

Right so whats this then ... "and we’re happy to announce PS4 versions of some of our exclusives. Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Sackboy A Big Adventure, and Horizon Forbidden West will also launch on PS4. While these three games were designed to take advantage of PS5 and its unique next-gen features like the ultra-high-speed SSD and DualSense controller, PS4 owners will also be able to enjoy these experiences when they launch. The PS4 digital versions of launch games include a free upgrade on both PS5 consoles"

Specifically mentioned Horizon and it wasn't even touted as a launch title then.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Right so whats this then ... "and we’re happy to announce PS4 versions of some of our exclusives. Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Sackboy A Big Adventure, and Horizon Forbidden West will also launch on PS4. While these three games were designed to take advantage of PS5 and its unique next-gen features like the ultra-high-speed SSD and DualSense controller, PS4 owners will also be able to enjoy these experiences when they launch. The PS4 digital versions of launch games include a free upgrade on both PS5 consoles"

Specifically mentioned Horizon and it wasn't even touted as a launch title then.
"The PS4 digital versions of launch games include a free upgrade on both PS5 consoles"

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
The expensive versions coming with a case that has no disc is beyond dumb.

Having to pay more for the ability to have both version is a joke when you can't keep the systems in stock. At the very least include an upgrade path. At the absolutely very fucking least, if you get the PS5 version you should have access to the PS4 version. Give people the ability to pay now if they plan on getting a PS5 instead of making the shell out even more.

This is far more complicated than it should be. You buy the game, you get both versions and be done with it you greedy fucks.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Wages don’t rise with the rate of inflation in the UK.

I could have bought a terraced house for £30k in the year 2000. That same house is £170k now, 21 years later. My wage hasn’t shot up to match this increased cost in living.

No, quite true, they don't rise to meet inflation - but they do rise somewhat and the cost of everything goes up. It's a separate (very real) issue to the price of video games which, to be honest, are better value than ever before compared to a lot of other superfluous crap. £70 does still feel like a kick in the teeth though, I'm with you.

Right so whats this then

Read it again, I made the same mistake. They worded it very carefully, it does not include Horizon. They moved the part about free upgrades for launch games to a later paragraph sneakily.

bender

What time is it?
Sony should just increase the price of the PS4 version to $70.00.

dr-evil-evil-laugh.gif

ethomaz

Banned
Actually, no. The game started development on PS4 and it was later decided to release it on ps5 as well.
Yeap but the reveal was for PS5 in the PS5 event... after they detailed it was a cross-gen game... that generate a lot of buzz after the reveal.

NickFire

When EA do this is world war 3.
Terrible anti consumer practice.
EA is literally doing this now, worse even. If you want Madden with dual entitlement, you have to buy the 100 version this year. Free upgrades were last year only.

ethomaz

Banned
Seems you cant read since also in the article it adds "while the PS4 disc versions of these games include a free upgrade on the PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-Ray disc drive"

Not surprising your sony fanboyism has clouded your judgement since you got bodied by a MS employee
These games refers to "The PS4 digital versions launch games".

C'mon man.

ethomaz

Banned
Now, if we look at Jimbo's words they sound different than the language in that PS4 cross gen webpage..

CzD1leF.png

"Those games" is obviously vague and can omit HFW
It is because the article cut the interview.
You need the full interview from Jim to understand... he was talking about the PS5 launch games... this quote specifically.

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

Jim Ryan :

449.gifv

And there's always a selected few defending the company instead of supporting pro consumerism...

Gotta value those stocks
Gotta value those UK Sales charts with a max of 8k copies sold.

That will tell shitty nintendo and MS.

Im looking forward to HFW it looks incredible but yeah Sony again not being clear at any point about their message or practices or downright lying.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Squabbling over a few dollars for one of 2022s most expensive, and likely one of the best reviewed games...seems kinda petty.

Just wait a few months for a price drop if the cost benefit analysis doesn't work out for you.

sainraja

Hmm, I think I will just get the PS5 version of the game (unless I change my mind about the extras in the deluxe version later.) I don't really need the PS4 version.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So what this really means is...Sony is not stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom