• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony CEO Jim Ryan says fans shouldn't expect to see PS5 exclusives launch on PC day one.

I saw this coming. Sony did it before during ps one Supported PC early on and slowly stopped releasing games over time until they stopped PC support altogether. Once they have a big enough base on PS5, there is no need to bother with PC.
I think only ps1 third-party games had pc ports
I don't remember any first party released on pc
Or maybe I'm wrong 🤔

Puscifer

Thank you PC gamers for subsidizing single player bangers on the ps5
another-one-dj-khaled.gif
It's a symbiotic relationship and I'm here for it tbh

I can play day 1 on PS5 and double dip later for stuff I wanna play later on PC like Returnal.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
MS has a reason to do so.. they do own windows. It would be dumb for Sony to do so. There is no advantage there. They would just lose the double dippers.
Owning Windows does not do them any good.

They put their games on Steam and get the same 70% revenue as any other publisher does, e.g., Sony, SquareEnix, Capcom, EA, Take Two, Devolver, Annapuran, Focus, etc.

The main reason why Microsoft put their games day one on PC was because of the low Xbox One sales and userbase. The games were not selling enough copies -- the same reason why they started Game Pass in the first place.

Both these strategies made sense.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
His comments are likely to disappoint some PC gamers who have been hoping to play PlayStation exclusives without having to buy a PlayStation console. However, it’s clear that Sony is still committed to its console business, which continues to perform to great results.

That’s exactly what we’re doing.

Playstation exclusives aren’t a must have thing for the majority of PC gamers. They’re another solid AAA third party release among others. When they come, they come.

Definitely the right course of action IMO. Nothing wrong with porting to PC but if you are trying to sell proprietary hardware, it's a pretty dumb idea to day 1 launch on multi platform.

That is the biggest and most obvious lie ever. Remeber when he said "We believe in generations"? Yeah...only a matter of time. They're saying that now cause it's convienet it.

Come PS6, I wouldn't be surprised if it's all day 1.

Last edited:
Of course because it'd give people less of a reason to buy a PS5. I'm happy to wait for PC ports. I don't see the point in buying a PS5 just like I don't see a point in buying an Xbox. The games I care about will come to PC at some point. Why should I drop £450-500 on a console if the games are coming to PC? Not that Playstation has any games I'm excited about. The only games that would convince me to get a PS5 are FFVII Rebirth, Persona 6, or GTA VI. Final Fantasy and Persona will come to PC at some point but I can't wait for them. GTA VI isn't even a PS exclusive but Rockstar always seems to release their PC versions about a year later.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
That is the biggest and most obvious lie ever. Remeber when said "We believe in generations"? Yeah...only a matter of time. They're saying that now cause it's convienet it.

Come PS6, I wouldn't be surprised if it's all day 1.
That's why reading his full interview and especially the sentences before and after are important.

"We have always said that we believe in generations ... We have always felt that we had a responsibility to serve that [PS4] community for several years after the launch of PS5 and that it represented a huge business opportunity for us," Ryan says. "The numbers are quite straightforward. If you say in broad brush figures that we have a community of 100 million PS4 owners right now, and in the first couple of years... I don't know, somewhere between 15 and 25 million might migrate to PS5, that still leaves a huge number of people with PS4s."

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Misery loves company.

"Please do what Xbox is doing that is causing them to fail in the console space"
do you really think it's the PC + Xbox thing that's making them fail.... or the declining quality of Xbox AAA games as a whole? Like come on, if Redfall were Xbox exclusive with no PC release, do you think it would be selling consoles??
Even if Sony made their shit day + date on PC, or under a year on PC that wouldn't stop the PS sales. Hell, the TOTK leaks didn't prevent 10 million sold in 3 days

Last edited:

damidu

do you really think it's the PC + Xbox thing that's making them fail.... or the declining quality of Xbox AAA games as a whole? Like come on, if Redfall were Xbox exclusive with no PC release, do you think it would be selling consoles??
Even if Sony made their shit day + date on PC, or under a year on PC that wouldn't stop the PS sales. Hell, the TOTK leaks didn't prevent 10 million sold in 3 days
of course it would effect console sales, if you take away the main selling point of your console. duh

also there are probably like 100 people in total, that knows how to run TOTK leak on an emulator.
what a stupid example

This makes me think Sony is moving toward profitability on PS5 hardware to the point where they really don't want any erosion due to their support of PC. They want those active users on the PS5 ecosystem as much as possible.

I think it means that the PS5 is probably selling better than Sony expected it to. I think we might see some slowdown of PC support for games like Spider-Man 2. Probably looking at 2025 at the earliest.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
also there are probably like 100 people in total, that knows how to run TOTK leak on an emulator.
they make videos that gain thousands of views on how to optimize performance for the game on Steam Deck.... Linus is one of the biggest PC channels and he's made multiple videos detailing how to emulate all sorts of consoles including Switch. All of them getting millions of views.

Stop the cap

ZehDon

Gold Member
Launching years late at full price with minor improvements and questionable porting? I think Ryan underestimates the PC crowd he's trying to placate while treating them like second class citizens.

GHG

Gold Member
Launching years late at full price with minor improvements and questionable porting? I think Ryan underestimates the PC crowd he's trying to placate while treating them like second class citizens.

I think the whole intention is to treat them like second class citizens while treating the people who purchase their console hardware (which is very much what their business model is) like first class citizens.

damidu

they make videos that gain thousands of views on how to optimize performance for the game on Steam Deck.... Linus is one of the biggest PC channels and he's made multiple videos detailing how to emulate all sorts of consoles including Switch. All of them getting millions of views.

Stop the cap
so you think there are millions of people playing totk on emulator? no its not even 10k i can assure you.

The main selling point of the next gen consoles is convenience.

If ps5 lived or died by its exclusive catalog, it would dead dead Jim.

tell that to phill. sounds like he can use some of your expertise

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
I think the whole intention is to treat them like second class citizens while treating the people who purchase their console hardware (which is very much what their business model is) like first class citizens.
And PC gamers will continue to treat Sony's games as B tier releases as a result.

GHG

Gold Member
And PC gamers will continue to treat Sony's games as B tier releases as a result.

Honestly, I don't think they care. They don't get anything from the sales of games they don't publish on the platform or from peripherals sold that aren't their own. Sales of PC games are bonus money to them and if you look at what Nintendo are doing they are doing spectacularly well while avoiding PC entirely.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Honestly, I don't think they care... Sales of PC games are bonus money to them and if you look at what Nintendo are doing they are doing spectacularly well while avoiding PC entirely...
Sony opened pandora's box when it followed Microsoft's lead into PC. Their shareholders will eventually question why their PC efforts are pulling in smaller numbers to other comparable PC releases. Late, buggy, and overpriced isn't a good answer. Nintendo keeping its games exclusive to console avoids this entirely. Sony's trying to have its cake and eat it too. As I see it, it's just a matter of time before they go Day 1 to get more full price PC sales to keep their shareholders happy.

GHG

Gold Member
Sony opened pandora's box when it followed Microsoft's lead into PC. Their shareholders will eventually question why their PC efforts are pulling in smaller numbers to other comparable PC releases. Late, buggy, and overpriced isn't a good answer. Nintendo keeping its games exclusive to console avoids this entirely. Sony's trying to have its cake and eat it too. As I see it, it's just a matter of time before they go Day 1 to get more full price PC sales to keep their shareholders happy.

First bolded section - true

As for the second bolded section - there have been at least 6 earnings calls since Sony outlined and embarked on this strategy. There have been multiple opportunities for the largest shareholders to question it (or even outline distaste) and it is yet to happen.

Sony can simply point to their competitor as an example of why it (day one) might not yield such positive results for them, there is high risk of cannibalisation for their console business.

I can only speak for myself, but as long as Microsoft continue to do day 1 PC ports there is zero chance I will ever own another xbox (right now I'm not even bothering to buy many of their games on PC, but that's another issue entirely). I keep my PS5 around for the exclusives I want to play when they release and I just purchased a Switch for TOTK. Who gets the least amount of money from me here? Who has the least amount of potential revenue from me as a customer moving forwards?

Last edited:

Eotheod

I apologise to anyone I offended with my use of the word cunt, my Australian in me gets the better of my discussions unfortunately. I also agree that obviously those with PS5's want to experience great content, and so definitely should do. I hope they enjoy them, and look forward to if they come out on PC.

I still very much disagree with the thought process that releasing on PC is detrimental to a console platform. PC gaming is a niche that requires expensive technical know-how, and so I see it more as a way to bolster sales then drawing sales down. I don't believe releasing a game on PS5 and PC would suddenly reduced the worth of the PlayStation and cause people to rush out spending $2k plus on a computer.

Oh come dude...it's a remake of a game which came out in 2013. The caveat of remakes/remasters, along with GAAS coming to PC day and date. Everything else won't.

So I do suspect the Bloodborne Remake/Remaster will come to PC day and date or a few months after. However not games like Ghost of Tsushima 2, Spider-man 2, Wolverine etc
Wouldn't make any sense to release the PS5 and PC version at the same time. Detracts from the console version and their main target audience. Id expect it about 3 to 6 months later. The excuse will be we did the PS5 version first and now need to optimize for PC.

damidu

Its true. The only ones who don't think so are the warriors who keep the "win the gen" mentality. They don't have to win anything, they just have to have a good business, and their xbox division has grown quite a bit from the Xone generation.
yeah must be why he was crying to cameras last time I've seen him.

Sony has to release games first.
oh right! playstation has no games! is sony finally doomed (again)?!

captainpat

I feel like the vast majority pc mains that want ps5 exclusives at launch probably already bought a ps5 to go with their pcs

Last edited:

damidu

You didn't see him, you read a melodramatic headline with no context and drew conclusions.

nah im pretty sure ive seen him cry to the cameras

Seems you completely forgot my original point

happens when you try to add irrelevant "gotcha"s as empty replies

----
point is you will have to wait extra couple years to play ps exclusives on your pc
seems to be the logical business conclusion that (showed by data) works for them.

unlike whatever ms is trying to do which, (again by data) collapsing their console business and cementing their third place status.

Last edited:

sendit

I will buy a PS5 for FF16 but i will sell it afterwards. Sony can forget getting my money.
ChatGPT

input:
make up a funny bullshit story about how selling your PS5 back means you aren't giving Sony any money initially

output:
In the far-off lands of the Internet, there was an enterprising gamer who went by the name SantaC. SantaC was known far and wide for his love of the Final Fantasy series, and a peculiar belief that he never gave money to Sony, despite his actions often suggesting otherwise.

As the release date of Final Fantasy XVI approached, SantaC was filled with anticipation and a tinge of frustration. You see, FF16 was only to be released on the PS5, a console made by Sony. SantaC, with a misguided sense of financial trickery, was convinced that he could game the system.

"I will buy the PS5 and play FF16," SantaC told his fellow gamers on a streaming platform. "Then I'll sell it! Sony won't get a single cent from me!"

And so, SantaC went out and bought a brand new PS5 from a local gaming shop. He then purchased FF16, played it to his heart's content, savouring every minute of it. Once he'd had his fill, he packed up the PS5 and listed it for sale on a popular online marketplace.

Soon enough, a keen buyer snapped it up. SantaC, quite pleased with his quick sale, proudly told his friends, "See? I sold the console. Sony didn't get my money!"

His friends, bemused and slightly confused, decided not to burst his bubble. After all, they knew that when SantaC had purchased the PS5, he had indirectly given money to Sony. But they also knew that SantaC had a peculiar way of seeing the world. A world where he could buy a PS5, play FF16, sell the console, and still believe that he hadn't given Sony any money.

His friends chuckled, shook their heads, and let SantaC revel in his supposed victory. Meanwhile, in the corporate offices of Sony, no one was the wiser of the strange logic of a dedicated, if not slightly deluded, Final Fantasy fan.

Last edited:
Top Bottom