• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Jim Ryan is confident the PS5 can sell at least 108 million units

CGNoire

I think the PS5 will sell for 500 for much of its life cycle, which is a massive change in strategy from where Sony has been with the PS1-PS4.

The PS1 dropped to as low as 49 dollars and the PS2 dropped to as low as 99 dollars.

99 dollars in 2009 would be the equivalent of 141 dollars today... So I think sony is more interested in selling at a profit than selling more units especially towards the later part of the life cycle.
And PS4 never really droped in price either.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
I think the PS5 will sell for 500 for much of its life cycle, which is a massive change in strategy from where Sony has been with the PS1-PS4.

The PS1 dropped to as low as 49 dollars and the PS2 dropped to as low as 99 dollars.

99 dollars in 2009 would be the equivalent of 141 dollars today... So I think sony is more interested in selling at a profit than selling more units especially towards the later part of the life cycle.
Shame. Imagine the 20 million or more they could have gotten with more price reductions on PS4. Hell imagine the install base buying subs and locked into your ecosystem if they were $100 cheaper this year. Sure you lose some hardware profit now but that aggressive pricing can get way more PS+ and first party sales going

vivftp

easy peasy at this point, jimbo was being humble

Not sure why this thread got bumped, but I'll just quote myself from the first page:

The person asking the question specifically asked if Jim thinks they could sell an additional 70 million beyond the 38 million they've already sold. Jim was answering that question, which is where the 108 million figure comes from.

The PS5 will vastly outsell the PS4s lifetime figures, but Sony hasn't given any official projections for that

Allandor

Well I guess if the price goes to <$300 than it will sell even more.
PS2 had the SingStar & Rockband hype in the last years which boosted sales far higher. Something like this is really missing since ps3 which brings non gamers into the eco System.

Killjoy-NL

Not sure why this thread got bumped, but I'll just quote myself from the first page:

The person asking the question specifically asked if Jim thinks they could sell an additional 70 million beyond the 38 million they've already sold. Jim was answering that question, which is where the 108 million figure comes from.

The PS5 will vastly outsell the PS4s lifetime figures, but Sony hasn't given any official projections for that
I'm willing to bet that PS5 becomes the second best-selling console in history, just behind PS2.

Last edited:

vivftp

I'm willing to bet that PS5 becomes the second best-selling console in history, just behind PS2.

We'll have to see where the Switch winds up when all is said and done, but I do think the PS5 could give the PS2 a run for its money when all is said and done. With many of SIEs heavy hitters ahead of them, the PS5 Pro and GTA6 on the horizon, we're gonna be seeing big years for some time to come. I wouldn't be surprised if they're able to match or surpass this FYs goal of 25 million either next year or the following year. Not to mention this gen is projected to go a year longer than last gen, and it's entirely possible that Sony won't immediately kill off the PS5 like they did with the PS4 when supply shortages started hitting hard.

Killjoy-NL

GTA 6 will move PlayStation 5s but it'll have to do Switch numbers to get to second place.
True, but I think it'll surpass Switch.

Currently it's:

PS2 (159M)
Switch (133M)
PS4 (117M)

PS5 is now a week behind PS4 in terms of sales, despite 2 years of supply constraints and a pandemic, with seemingly increasing momentum. It was also reported that it was following PS2 in Japan recently.
With people jumping ship from Xbox, it will probably push PS5 ahead of Switch in the end.

That's my guess though.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not with just Last of Us sequels, reboots, remasters and GAAS crap.
GTA6 alone is going to do gangbusters, and the way Sony has been marketing the hell out of GTAV this month from their "win a PS5" blog to the game being on the + service, they probably have the marketing locked down. More than likely to coincide with the Pro as well for the best experience of the game.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
108M must mean console market is slowing down and gamer shifting to PC or mobile more and more.

Switch is trending down, Series S/X arent selling great, and PS5 will sell less than PS4's 120M? You'd think Ryan would say "at least 120M"

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
108M must mean console market is slowing down and gamer shifting to PC or mobile more and more.

Switch is trending down, Series S/X arent selling great, and PS5 will sell less than PS4's 120M? You'd think Ryan would say "at least 120M"
Switch is trending down? It's a 7-year-old device. The PS5 is about to pass the PS4 launch aligned. The only one down did it to itself and is hardly any indication of any substantial mobile/PC uptick of the general market.

Besides, Jim knows what he's saying. 108m is a modest number that the PS5 will have little trouble passing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom