• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony CEO Jim Ryan says fans shouldn't expect to see PS5 exclusives launch on PC day one.

Draugoth

Gold Member
jim-ryan-2.jpg

In an interview with Famitsu (translated via ResetEra), Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) CEO Jim Ryan shot down the idea of PlayStation 5 (PS5) exclusive games also launching on PC from day one. Ryan says that the primary goal of console first-party games is to build the game for the PlayStation experience. He added that overall reactions from fans have been “favorable” when games arrive a couple of years after initial release.

“We also fully understand the importance of PS5 exclusive titles,” Ryan said. “PlayStation Studios’ main responsibility is to have people enjoy the game experience using the latest PlayStation. We are increasing the number of PS5-exclusive titles and staggering the release of the PC version.
I often have the opportunity to ask game fans for their opinions, and when I ask them about the time lag, they say that selling the PC version two or three years after the release of the PS version is accepted favorably

Ryan’s comments come as Sony has been more open to porting its PlayStation exclusives to PC in recent years. In 2020, the company released Horizon Zero Dawn on PC, and it followed that up with the release of God of War in 2022.

His comments are likely to disappoint some PC gamers who have been hoping to play PlayStation exclusives without having to buy a PlayStation console. However, it’s clear that Sony is still committed to its console business, which continues to perform to great results.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Weird. His own right hand man Herman Hurst said that GaaS games will launch on PS5 and PC simultaneously.

GaaS are being handled different, as they should GaaS lives and dies by engagement. He is talking their standard exclusives they're known for.

You know the context and nuance in that.

I've been saying this for a while, wouldn't make sense from a business perspective to undervalue the PS5 hardware.

Here to laugh at anyone who still thinks Sony are going to be doing day and date releases for their major first party titles.

I can see them doing a remaster/remake but I don't see a day and date PC release happening, maybe 6-12 months after the PS5 release.

DrFigs

Last edited:

zomboden

Banned
Yep and it will work. My brother is somebody who is a PC gamer and also a big JRPG fan. One of his main games is FF14. And he went out and bought a PS5 this holiday season because of FF16's timed exclusivity. He's a lifelong Final Fantasy fan and there's no way he wouldn't play the newest one day one. Even if he had to buy a console he wouldn't have otherwise bought to play it. Exclusives sell consoles.

Mr.Phoenix

And I have been saying this forever. Who was that Gaffer that kept arguing with me over this?

There are some that would call this fanboyism, but in truth, there's such a thing as being a PC fanboy too, and only those wouldn't see or understand the value of a platform having its exclusives. Even if they are timed.

Imtjnotu

decisions

This makes perfect sense. As game development gets more complicated, the benefits of targeting a single platform are highlighted. PS5 version will launch to great reviews due to hardware/software integration, allowing the games to have a reputation of being “amazing”.

Then, when the PC launch comes out, the technical issues of scaling to various builds will either have been figured out or not. If they are, new audiences will be found on PC and possible double-dippers. If they are not, Sony has little to lose since a secondary launch will never be as scrutinized.

This is all while keeping a reason for people to own a PS5.

Sony as a company develops hardware. They will ALWAYS want those consoles out there. That's a priority as well. It's not just about the software. Sony actually does make money out of selling hardware and usually starting from year 2 or 3 at its worst.

For now.

It wasn’t that long ago that they were never going to charge for online play, never have a GamePass type service, and never put their big stuff on PC at all 👍
When did Sony say they would never charge for online play? And Gamepass type service? They are releasing games on PS Plus day one? That's literally the main selling point for that service and PS Plus doesn't have it. And "never put their big stuff on PC"? I don't even think Sony mentioned PC all that much before Horizon was released there...

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Smoke and mirrors, the day thier own launcher/store is ready, they start day and date. Greed and bonuses. Despite the fact it will hurt the console side.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Weird. His own right hand man Herman Hurst said that GaaS games will launch on PS5 and PC simultaneously.

GaaS rely on virality to establish and retain their userbases, so it makes sense to address the widest audience from the start as the goal is to keep them onboard for the long haul, with ideally other folks getting drawn in based on reputation and recommendation from friends.

Its the "rising tide lifts all boats" scenario, with success on one platform having a positive effect on the other. Conversely with a more traditional sort of title there's no equivalent benefit. Obviously, although Sony are going to be happy if anyone, anywhere wants to buy their product, they'd prefer it to be where they can benefit the most from the attention.

When combined together as part of a mixed line-up of releases it seems to me a real best-of-both-worlds approach.

MS do what they do because they don't see Xbox consoles as being central to their business goals, for them its all about the service and subscription economy. So long as they get that recurring income, and that combined across all platforms subscriber count continues to ramp up. Job done.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
GaaS are being handled different, as they should GaaS lives and dies by engagement. He is talking their standard exclusives they're known for.

You know the context and nuance in that.
I read the quote and he didnt offer any context or nuance. he's simply talking about PS5 exclusives. Id imagine, he'd consider Factions as a PS5 exclusive, but 99% of the people here are expecting that game to launch simultaneously on PC.

The title clearly says PS5 EXCLUSIVES and yet this is thr bait angle you took.

Watching Denzel Washington GIF
What are you talking about? Obviously, the games that release on PC wont be exclusive by definition. He's talking about PS5 first party games here. He is making 12 GaaS games. All to come out by 2025 according to him. Likely half of the first party games he releases in the next three years will be GaaS, and thus not exclusive.

Herman said 1 year for single player games btw. He's saying 2-3 years. None of what hes saying is consistent with what they have said before.

SeraphJan

Last edited:
Top Bottom