• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan: All future cross-gen titles, including God of War and GT7, will be $10 upgrades from PS4 to PS5

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethomaz

Banned
Why should i pay 79.99 to get both copies that is silly! I am a sony fan but these kind of behaviours should not be applauded and excused we need to make it clear to them that this is unacceptable, also if you get the ps5 version you dont get the ps4 version.
You pay $79.99 for the bonuses... that is the Deluxe Edition.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Holy fuck I can't understand how some people are ok with paying more. The more you allow the more they will try and take.

I mean, look no further than GAF. A guy in the other thread pre-ordered the $260 edition for it to quote "sit on my shelf and never get opened lol". A guy in this thread said you aren't a loyal fan if you don't own the deluxe version.

People love spending money just to say they spent it, you'll never defeat whales.

Bryank75

Banned
Well, well Jimbo!

hot-jim-jim-ryan.gif

Wouldn't mind burning him at the stake.

metaphorically.

Last edited:

sainraja

If there is no $10 upgrade option then it is indeed bad but we need to wait... the $10 upgrade option usually get online when the game launch.
It makes no difference to me but I hope it has that option for PS4 users than yet doesn't have a PS5.
Yeah, that's true. They should just announce it to avoid any confusion though. I am only interested in the PS5 version so that's likely the one I will get.

soulbait

Also the regular ps5 version doesn’t give the PS4 version.

People were super pissed when madden did that, so I’m sure they’ll go to war over this too, right?

I would be. One of the things I love about Xbox's policy on this is how easy it is for me to play on my Xbox Series X, save the game, and then go into my other room and play on my Xbox One X, picking right off where I left off from. Have been doing this sense launch, and it is great for when other people want to use the TV in the living room. I can just go into my office and get going again.

Shmunter

The game will be almost indistinguishable between PS4 & PS5 except haptic control and rez boost. Same deal as GOT. If one doesn’t care, save the tenner.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
After specifically mentioning it last year, Sony should continue to allow a free upgrade for Horizon:FW. If the game is mentioned to have no paid upgrade path, keep your word. I'll be getting PS5 version so it doesn't affect me personally but yeah, it sucks and I hope those getting PS4 get sorted. Fix it Jimbo.

ethomaz

Banned
After specifically mentioning it last year, Sony should continue to allow a free upgrade for Horizon:FW. If the game is mentioned to have no paid upgrade path, keep your word. I'll be getting PS5 version so it doesn't affect me personally but yeah, it sucks and I hope those getting PS4 get sorted. Fix it Jimbo.
Sony never mentioned that.

Why should i pay 79.99 to get both copies that is silly! I am a sony fan but these kind of behaviours should not be applauded and excused we need to make it clear to them that this is unacceptable, also if you get the ps5 version you dont get the ps4 version.
Your getting the PS5 edition for $70 and than paying $10 for the PS4 edition with bonuses 😆

I don’t see the issue here, people will complain about anything, everything can’t be free.

People keep bringing up the Series X like you could even get a game of this level on the Series X right now…. 😆

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned
“No one should be disappointed,” Ryan said. “The PS5 versions of those games are built from the ground up to take advantage of the PS5 feature set, and we have an upgrade path for PS4 users to get the PS5 versions for free. It’s about people having choice. I’m really quite pleased about the situation.”

ManaByte

Sony never mentioned that.

Additionally, we know that the PS4 community will transition to PS5 at different times, and we’re happy to announce PS4 versions of some of our exclusives. Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Sackboy A Big Adventure, and Horizon Forbidden West will also launch on PS4. While these three games were designed to take advantage of PS5 and its unique next-gen features like the ultra-high-speed SSD and DualSense controller, PS4 owners will also be able to enjoy these experiences when they launch. The PS4 digital versions of launch games include a free upgrade on both PS5 consoles, while the PS4 disc versions of these games include a free upgrade on the PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-Ray disc drive.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I would be. One of the things I love about Xbox's policy on this is how easy it is for me to play on my Xbox Series X, save the game, and then go into my other room and play on my Xbox One X, picking right off where I left off from. Have been doing this sense launch, and it is great for when other people want to use the TV in the living room. I can just go into my office and get going again.
Or cloud. Not sure if you also get the PC versions as well.

elliot5

>PS4 versions of [PS5] LAUNCH games will get free upgrades.

Horizon was not a launch game in 2020. It will launch on PS4. It was not a PS5 launch game, therefore no free upgrade. Sort of purposefully confusing language.

jigglet

Banned
yea i get it it takes money to make really good games

If this was a scummy way to make more money then yes I would agree. Fuck the gamers, just make the $$$.

But the amount of people that would double dip would be so fucking insanely small it's not worth the negative press it would generate.

Andodalf

Banned
This game is a different case than Madden. Some people can’t get next gen consoles so people wanted the previous gen editions to still play their friends online who don’t have next gen consoles.

Horizon isn’t a online game so it might not get the same backlash.
Not having a next gen console is exactly the issue. What do You do if You want to play horizon on your PS4 and then buy a ps5 when You find one? You either have to buy the game twice or pay for the deluxe edition when You don’t care for that content. There needs to be a 10$ upgrade path digitally

reksveks

Random and dumb question for the Sony players, for a game like GoT if you upgrade the ps4 game to a ps5; does the save files work across both versions or is it creating a duplicate set of save files and upgrading those? Like could i play a mission on my ps5 and then go back to the ps4 with the mission completed?

Banjo64

cumsessed
I think if you care about the state of playstation, you should NOT buy these games at launch to send a message.

I say that as someone who has always bought the best version I could at launch... usually CE's. I have the plastic baby in a jar for fuck sake.....
Not just PlayStation tbh. The industry in general shouldn’t be charging £70 a game. I’ve not bought a game at over £40 for years and years now. I don’t even remember the last time.

I am buying Elden Ring at launch but only because my PS5 was a bundle that came with a £50 PSN credit.

Urban

This guy gets it
Thank you.

If they would go PS5 exclusive i would understand(from a business point) that you go 10$ up because you have a smaller userbase to sell it to. But if you go Crossgen and have both userbases than why in the hell should i pay 10 more?

ethomaz

Banned
It literally says Horizon.
It list the name of several PS5 games (launch and future) and the [PS5] launch games will have free upgrade.
Nothing is said about future games like Horizon.

"The PS4 digital versions of launch games include a free upgrade on both PS5 consoles, while the PS4 disc versions of these games include a free upgrade on the PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-Ray disc drive."

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Not having a next gen console is exactly the issue. What do You do if You want to play horizon on your PS4 and then buy a ps5 when You find one? You either have to buy the game twice or pay for the deluxe edition when You don’t care for that content. There needs to be a 10$ upgrade path digitally
And the goal post has now moved to the $10 upgrade path on Ghost being the "good guy" policy. I half expect God of War's cross gen to be a monthly subscription at this rate.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It literally says Horizon.

He's actually right, I was about to call him out too but I went back and re-read it. It does not actually say Horizon will have a free upgrade path, they just moved the line about launch games having free upgrades after the part about Horizon. Cheeky.

ethomaz

Banned
To be fair, I expect nothing other than this from you. So I’m not surprised.
Me?

It is right write in your face lol

Just read.

"The PS4 digital versions of launch games include a free upgrade on both PS5 consoles, while the PS4 disc versions of these games include a free upgrade on the PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-Ray disc drive."

Last edited:

Tschumi

to be honest, i don't know why it should, i didn't expect my persona 5 from ps3 to be free on ps4...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom