• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Microsoft has tried the first path and it did not work at all. We believe we have a meaningful subscription service." - Jim Ryan

And yet Sony raise prices on PSN without much more value and PS games are not even Day 1 on the subscription. Yeah, no. Sorry Jimmy.

Here is an idea though Jimmy, when are you going to have an exciting 1st party showcase to show me your "PSN Value" instead? The Last showcase was riddled with nonsense and not a Naughty Dog or Sony Sants Monica game in sight.

Cause right now a ton of GAAS titles with CG trailers is not value.

Well... that's kind of his point.

The fact that Sony has to increase pricing to make the economics of their service work---a service they'll clearly not all-in on like MS, and therefore unwilling to make a loss on---despite PSN+ being perceived as an arguably inferior service in terms of the offering, only goes to show that MS is hemorrhaging cash on GP and that their business model with the current subscriber numbers just isn't sustainable.

It's all well and good to think that GP is the Best Deal In Gaming™ right now, but if the economics of the service don't work and it's not sustainable, then your enjoyment of it will be short-lived.

graywolf323

Do you agree that it sounds like some fucking cult repeating the mantra?
Do you really have that many talks in real life where people try to persuade you that Toyota is objectively the best value car in the world?
Seems this shit only comes from one type of people in these forums, I'll be honest with you. It's vomit inducing, feels like I'm being actively advertised to and my adblock is not working right.

To be crystal clear, if you need to constantly jump in on any unrelated topic to say how X or Y is the best value, you're a fucking douche. (not you specifically, the general "you")
bloomfield hills wtf GIF

Xbox Game Pass is the best value in gaming!™

Rather *buy* Gears and Doom.
You realize that just because it's on Game Pass doesn't mean you cannot buy it though right ? Do people forget thst Game Pass games can be purchased? I purchased Starfield and Sea of Thieves. People are either forgetful, trolling or just plain dumb.

Any product that is part of Game Pass is purchasable separately... why are you all acting like these games are just locked to a subscription service when they are not and you simply have the will of free choice? Lol.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

You realize that just because it's on Game Pass doesn't mean you cannot buy it though right ? Do people forget thst Game Pass games can be purchased? I purchased Starfield and Sea of Thieves. People are either forgetful, trolling or just plain dumb.

Any product that is part of Game Pass is purchasable separately... why are you all acting like these games are just locked to a subscription service when they are not and you simply have the will of free choice? Lol.
I didn't say I couldn't....

If MS has it way though, I won't be able to.

S0ULZB0URNE

Why would MS not want you to purchase their game for $69.99? And what way MS would have it, not be able to sell you their first party produxt at full price? Ok. Dude if you are going to troll then make it at least less obvious.
MS has shown there cards.
Threads topics like this,trying to buy Nintendo,wanting to put Sony out of business,pushing digital only and the shit they tried pulling at launch of the xbo are just some examples of this.

Look another defender crying the troll card when he doesn't like what he hears.

Sanepar

Now you can let see in the future if the option to buy the game will still be there.

dotnotbot

Yeah, except Microsoft is now forcing absurd pricing on their first party games to force you into Gamepass. Failure jak Redfall should be on discount since launch, yet it stays at rock solid $70:

2h2HpJt.png

The above is for Xbox but it's the same on Steam. Choice and consumer friendly my ass. Even Diablo 4 already had some discounts.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

I am not comparing PS first party vs Xbox first party, that is subjective. I am comparing the value of PSN vs Gamepass.
The games are what decide the value...
MS... doesn't want you to buy their games? Then why are they all available outside of GamePass? Why does MS claim GamePass will always be around 10-15% of their revenue? Doesn't sound like they want to block you from buying their games.
Wasn't what I originally said and I responded already.

dotnotbot

I am not comparing PS first party vs Xbox first party, that is subjective. I am comparing the value of PSN vs Gamepass.

But as I said, value is subjective, it's about which service has games you prefer in the first place, not the amount of day 1 releases or if there are any. What's the value of day 1 release if I don't want to play it? Zero.

And both services include a lot of first party games so you can't compare value of their services without comparing the quality of first party content.

Jboemios

Banned
So people only use the service for day one releases?
People can't choose a service with (what they think is) a better catalog of games?
Besides... afaik some games do come to PS+ Premium day one and I know that some games don't come to GP day one.
You can count with your hand the number of third party games launched day one in PSN ( I believe that are less than five). The third party games are about the same, but Gamepass launch third party day one (this month alone they launched Lies of P, Payday 3, sea of stars). And I am not even couting the others perks like PC game pass, streaming to cellphone and TV.

But as I said, value is subjective, it's about which service has games you prefer in the first place, not the amount of day 1 releases or if there are any. What's the value of day 1 release if I don't want to play it? Zero.

And both services include a lot of first party games so you can't compare value of their services without comparing the quality of first party content.
Imagine an xbox fanboy trying to argue 6 years ago that Xbox first party are better than PS games, because he value more Halo or gears.

Fishels

Of course you can. It's called Elder Scrolls VI, Fable 2, Gears of War 6, State of Decay 3, IO Interactive Fantasy New IP, Fallout 5, indiana Jones, DOOM Year Zero, and more.

Now if those games are not your cup of tea then that's a different story.
I mean none of those games are out bro. So let’s wait and see how they measure up and if MS is willing to lose the money on them. Or if they can get so many subs it doesn’t matter. Or if price changes to make more money.

Or of course a mixture of these outcomes.

Also about third party games. Some seem to love Gamepass and some don’t.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
People still act like there's no other option but game pass. Wanna buy a game....buy the game.

I'm actually shocked that he says Sony will continue to make these third person graphically impressive narrative games. It's like he's admitting that they've found a formula that works and is guiding studios to make those.

No thinking out of the box?

Just make games that any one can play through that have good graphics and shit loads of acted cutscenes to make people feel like they are witnessing greatness.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Well that's what I do and some people say that I'm wasting my money.

:(

I don't really see it that way because gamepass isn't the answer to everything. I'm sure plenty of devs still like it when people buy their games.

That's the beautiful thing about opinions. Someone can think you're wasting money buying games and you can feel happy knowing your not, if game pass isn't appealing to you.

That's the beautiful thing about opinions. Someone can think you're wasting money buying games and you can feel happy knowing your not, if game pass isn't appealing to you.

Yep and they suffer because they can't change me.

Muahahahahaha

Just kidding but it feels good to buy games that I believe are worth it. Not everything appears on gamepass and just sticking to that would severely limit my options. All games are for sale though either physically and/or digitally.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Muahahahahaha

Just kidding but it feels good to buy games that I believe are worth it. Not everything appears on gamepass and just sticking to that would severely limit my options. All games are for sale though either physically and/or digitally.

I'm exactly the same. I have gamepass because I see it's worth to me, but I still buy games that I really want.

I have kids now, gamepass is a blessing for myself thx to first party ms and lots of family games we can all play as well.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It's almost like he is aware of the meme.

I'm starting to think Bryank wasn't so crazy. Lmao.

Honestly it's only a meme if they were shit not GOTY-level. And about PC approach, it's safe and meaningful at the moment. Some games deserve to be day one on PC as well like Destiny and similar games.

Cyberpunkd

"According to a newly published Xbox slide deck from the FTC v Microsoft federal case, Xbox Game Pass generated an average of $9.26 per subscription
How is this calculated? Doesn’t it include all the DLC purchases for games available on GP or even the games themselves (can you even buy a game outright that is available via GP)?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
How is this calculated? Doesn’t it include all the DLC purchases for games available on GP or even the games themselves (can you even buy a game outright that is available via GP)?

Say, it does include the dlc purchases and special offers for new members it just reinforces that it drives activity on your platform. Which to businesses now is one of their biggest KPIs.

So 25 million x 10 x 12. A nice 3 billion a year.

Cyberpunkd

Say, it does include the dlc purchases and special offers for new members it just reinforces that it drives activity on your platform. Which to businesses now is one of their biggest KPIs.

Ok, can’t you say the uptick of GP revenue is offset by loss on retail first party games? Since way less people will buy games for $70 if they can just power through it in 1 month GP.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Not to businesses, to MS, MS needs either to gobble the entire industry up or share it… hence why price raises and a lot more pervasive GaaS + micro transactions will be in games to compensate (if this took hold).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Muahahahahaha

Agreed but as the price of the subscription inevitably increases it will be more and more difficult for games to justify a sale outside of the service on top of those consumers that more and more will see games as having little value in and of themselves (look at the App Store… land of subscriptions and micro transactions and ads).

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I already see these kinds of replies from gamers. More and more refuse to pay full price for games and want everything super cheap while offering them 50+ hours of entertainment. Games aren't judged on their quality, but to a "price per hours" value. It is changing the way games are being made. I watched the same happen with mobile games before they went Freemium and I am seeing the same results.
This is false, I'm afraid. For as long as I've been ordering games online and reading about them on forums, gamers have been absolutely committed to paying as little as possible for their games and debating the value in the pricing.

Gamers have talked about the value of games relentlessly, from play time to comparing games to other mediums - how much does it cost to watch a movie per hour vs how much a game costs. Why Ocarina of Time is such good value when you can play it for days versus something that can be completed in a few hours.

Gamers are obsessed with value, ratings, stats, arguing and bad faith statements. Gamepass has not changed anything in that regard.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Now there's a proper head of a business division, and dare I say one who even cares about and understands (no idea if he actually likes and does) computer gaming.

The guy been there since 1994 and enjoyed success through the ranks. He knows what works and what flops. Also there is way less wiggle room for any shit moves for him at the helm vs Phil that is running the Xbox brand into vanishing by 2027 with his lunatic strategy backed by Satya that gave him this deadline.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This is false, I'm afraid. For as long as I've been ordering games online and reading about them on forums, gamers have been absolutely committed to paying as little as possible for their games and debating the value in the pricing.

Gamers have talked about the value of games relentlessly, from play time to comparing games to other mediums - how much does it cost to watch a movie per hour vs how much a game costs. Why Ocarina of Time is such good value when you can play it for days versus something that can be completed in a few hours.

Gamers are obsessed with value, ratings, stats, arguing and bad faith statements. Gamepass has not changed anything in that regard.
Not yet, but the point is not gamers trying to get things as cheap as possible… plenty of people spend a thousand dollars on a phone and then refuse to buy apps or games because… they have been conditioned to think that it is how those things should cost while Apple has convinced them that their HW is worth its asking price (they keep increasing it and people keep buying it).
So, you are missing the point.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Ok, can’t you say the uptick of GP revenue is offset by loss on retail first party games? Since way less people will buy games for $70 if they can just power through it in 1 month GP.
This could happen, absolutely. They may also try game pass f9r one game and then keep it as they spot more games they want to play. Some will, some won't.

Thats formthem to work out.
Not to businesses, to MS, MS needs either to gobble the entire industry up or share it… hence why price raises and a lot more pervasive GaaS + micro transactions will be in games to compensate (if this took hold).

Sony is after gaas and microtransactions, everyone is going after microtransactions, its not exclusively Microsoft. So we will have to see how it goes.

Top Bottom