• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jim Ryan: $3.6B Bungie Deal “Can Give Us Way More” Than $69B Activision Buyout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Jim-Ryan-is-currently-the-front-face-the-of-PlayStation-brand.jpg
  • The PlayStation brand CEO said in a Q&A that its $3.6 billion deal with Bungie “can give us way more” than the Activision buyout.
  • Jim Ryan said that an acquisition for it is only valuable if it can help PlayStation deliver on its strategies in a way it is currently unable to achieve on its own.
  • He clarified that publishers do not like the Game Pass service because it is value-destructive, not only on an individual level but also at an industry level.
  • Jim finds the PlayStation Plus service to be more meaningful than Game Pass. He deemed 25 million Game Pass subscribers not to be as good as he expected.
The questioner asked Jim Ryan whether Sony saw Activision Blizzard as a target acquisition. He said that Bungie is more proficient for Sony, considering its capital. The now-unredacted interview was conducted last year between Jim and investors from Fidelity. Previously, many parts of the Q&A session were redacted, but the Reddit user u/PBOats121 has shared the complete interview on the official r/PS5 subreddit.

In terms of deployment of Sony’s capital, when you look at 69 billion dollars for Activision compared to 3.6 billion dollars for Bungie, we believe that Bungie can give us way more than a 69 billion acquisition of Activision,” said Jim Ryan.

Last edited:

A.Romero

I mean I know that's his job and all and he is totally right about an acquisition is only valuable when it can deliver on its own but there is obviously more to it, otherwise regulators wouldn't be on Microsoft's ass.

A lot of those 70b are due to the IP's they are purchasing together. I bet Jim would love to have something like CoD on Sony's catalog.

But yes, it's meaningless if Microsoft can't execute and it seems they are having a hard time with that part.

Aion002

lying GIF

Bungie main thing vs Activision side hustle:

"Destiny 2, the sequel released in 2017, is Bungie's biggest asset right now making the company an estimated $200 million in revenue"

"Activision Blizzard's Q2 2023 financial results have revealed that Call of Duty: Mobile, their handheld spin-off of the popular shooter franchise, has raked in $3bn in lifetime revenue since it was launched in 2019."

T4keD0wN

Lessons learned and counseling on how to make GAAS succesfully? I dont think he is entirely right with this, but they are clearly going to be extremely valuable, much more than the amount that theyve paid for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom