• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: Xbox originally planed to release 9 exclusive games in 2023

Stooky

The games are coming!
Dumb And Dumber Lol GIF

GHG

I'm sure they WANT that.
It's nice to want things

Edit. On a serious note, he has no idea. Let's hope he didn't read that from the same notes that said Xbox Gold would vanish and online play would be free.

It's wanted.

Not many people are going to actually listen to what he said so this is most likely going to be a waste of time - but he said most of those games won't make 2023 now.

This is what he now expects for next year:
  • Starfield
  • Redfall
  • Hellblade 2
  • Compulsion's next game
  • Something from InXile
Didn't hear the next Forza Motorsport mentioned but that will most likely be 2023 as well.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's wanted.

Not many people are going to actually listen to what he said so this is most likely going to be a waste of time - but he said most of those games won't make 2023 now.

• Starfield
  • Redfall
  • Hellblade 2
  • Compulsion's next game
  • Something from InXile
Didn't hear the next Forza Motorsport mentioned but that will most likely be 2023 as well.
I don't think anyone really expected Perfect Dark, Fable, and Everwild to make 2023, did they? We've seen nothing from the first two, and wasn't Everwild "rebooted"?

coffinbirth

That's a pretty old ass internal schedule if Starfield and Redfall aren't on there, indeed. If real, and it's from Q1 22, that insinuates that some of these games are further along than assumed. Getting Contraband, Fable, Avowed, PD, Hellblade 2 on top of Starfield and Redfall would ne insane. Even if all of those games would be ready to ship in 2023, Microsoft would be wise to push at least one or two into 2024, I would think, if for anything to prevent a 2022 from happening again, haha.

Noticeably absent... FORZA

GHG

I don't think anyone really expected Perfect Dark, Fable, and Everwild to make 2023, did they? We've seen nothing from the first two, and wasn't Everwild "rebooted"?

That's never stopped people loading those titles in to list wars or those weird fan made marketing images.

What's he's saying is that was the original intention before things played out further. So it was supposed to be Starfield/Redfall/Forza this year and then those games listed for next year.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Even if this were true, which I doubt, it would be stupid of Xbox to release that many games in one year. They'd need to hold some back or they would end up in the same situation as this year with nothing to release in 2024 or 2025.

anthony2690

Banned
Considering this is from 2021-2022 internal, I can imagine many of these are sadly delayed out off 2023 (I can't imagine we will see everwild anytime soon sadly)

But we know we get the following in the first six months:
Forza Motorsport
Tokyo Ghostwire
Redfall
Starfield

Next year is looking pretty exciting on the first party front for Xbox & game pass, even if half off the 9 mentioned games get delayed.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Starfield is all I need baby. If that shit delays one more time I will fucking... I will... do nothing but cry and wait.

2fl9GvZ.jpg
Giving that fucking hard date over a year in advance and talking a big talk was such a bad look. At this point the game recieved a 6 or 7 month delay. It will likely come out in June, but saying we delayed the game to the first half of next year sounds better than saying we delayed it by half a year or more i guess

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
No it won't, ms Devs dont make games, keep up.
It's not like they won 2021 pub of the year, or that the majority of there studios are in line with there past Dev cycles...

Last edited by a moderator:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's wanted.

• Starfield
  • Redfall
  • Hellblade 2
  • Compulsion's next game
  • Something from InXile

Coalition's smaller scale game should be due in 2023 as well, with a Gears a year or two later.

The games are coming!
Dumb And Dumber Lol GIF

Sigh .. why is it always the same couple of users every thread ..

Last edited by a moderator:

Lognor

Banned
If even half of those release in 2023 it will be a fantastic year for Xbox!

I would rather get half than for MS to blow their load again and then possibly have another draught in 2024. I'm thinking back to last year when Microsoft won Publisher of the Year and contrasting that to this year which is a huge step down. I don't want that for 2024. I want consistent releases. This is Phil Spencer comes in to manage the releases from his developers so we get consistent releases. Push back games if necessary. I think Nintendo does this pretty often. It makes even more sense with Microsoft since they want to keep people subscribed to Game Pass. Release 4-5 first party games a year and supplement the rest of the year with third party games, both large and small.

Although if Microsoft can release 9 games a year consistently then I say go for it. I would need to see the math on all the developers they own to see if that would be possible. It might be, especially after they acquire Activision. Might be too many games in fact! I can't keep up.

Fbh

Guys a trusted source told me Sony was planning to release 6 exclusives next year.
Spiderman 2
Wolverine
TLOU Factions
New IP by Heaven, Bend and Asobi.

But they probably won't anymore so if they don't it doesn't mean I'm full of shit.

I think Spiderman 2 and Factions have a good chance but Wolverine will probably get pushed.

Yes I'll take an insider tag, thx.

Last edited:

Klayzer

It's wanted.

• Starfield
  • Redfall
  • Hellblade 2
  • Compulsion's next game
  • Something from InXile
If those games make it in 2023, that's a good year for exclusives only.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Based on what we know they're releasing next year, barring some extreme last minute delays, they're well on their way to do the 'one first party game per quarter'.

I don't see Everwild releasing any time soon, not before 2025. But I will be pleasantly surprised if Hellblade 2 and Avowed are 2023 releases.

dugdug

Banned
You’re telling me that Xbox fucked up when scheduling their games? That we’ll have to…wait for Xbox?

Why, who would ever believe such a thing?

Menzies

Banned
Even if this were true, which I doubt, it would be stupid of Xbox to release that many games in one year. They'd need to hold some back or they would end up in the same situation as this year with nothing to release in 2024 or 2025.
This is an interesting point of discussion.

If the stars align and all the games are ready, do they purposefully hold back releases to space out content or just get it all out there when its' ready?

Do consumers really care about 9 exclusives one year vs 2 exclusives the next? I mean outside of fanboys bickering about 'who won 2023?'

Release when ready; - it's early in a new generation, people making decisions on platforms, bird in the hand and all that OR
Holding back releases; - through sheer breadth of developers, they can now eliminate crunch, spend more time on graphics and better QA/squash bugs.

Top Bottom