• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: Knights of The Old Republic Remake is Dead

Draugoth

Gold Member
kotor-remake.jpg

The Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic remake is dead. At least, that’s what Giant Bomb’s Jeff Grubb had to say on Friday morning during his Game Mess Mornings show.

“I just want to clear it up, this game is not being worked on right now.”

Grubb said around the 57-minute mark.

Just full stop. This game is not being worked on in any way, at any studio. Sony has cut ties with the project”

Originally announced back in 2021, the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic remake has been through development turmoil from the start.

It was first in development by Aspyr Media before Embracer Group shifted the game over to Saber Interactive in August 2022.

Last edited:

amigastar

Too bad, i would have enjoyed a remake.
I still have to play Kotor 2 which i have in my Steam Library.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Not if it can't make it to market. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

I think KOTOR is just a rather large game, and if you're trying to make that with modernized assets and gameplay, it's a massive project. The better approach would've been to test the waters with a QOL update for the original, check the sales data, and go from there.

Aspyr kinda already did that.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Sony should've just taken the game in house. It's hard to understand how projects like these fail when the entire source material is there for you to build on. Create new assets, shove them into UE5, port over the core mechanics and gameplay of the original...

Ah well, I'd settle for a pure 4k remaster of the original.

Yeah, this whole remake thing was kinda weird.
Plus there was some odd PS exclusivity thing going on which made no sense and then radio silence for a lengthy amount of time.

I’m okay with this. If your gonna do another Old Republic game at least have a new story, fresh new characters.

The Old Republic stretches over, what? 19,000 years? Like come on man, that’s plenty of room to come up with something exciting and new that we haven’t seen before.

It was being looked after by Aspyr who fucking suck at porting games properly, let alone be trusted with a damn remake of a loved game.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Sony should've just taken the game in house. It's hard to understand how projects like these fail when the entire source material is there for you to build on. Create new assets, shove them into UE5, port over the core mechanics and gameplay of the original...

how can Sony justify spending internal resources on this when there is a Horizon Zero Dawn that needs to be remade, a TLOU Part 2 that needs to be remade, and after that they're going to have to go back and remake the TLOU Part 1 remake.

Last edited:

This and potentially Silent Hill 2 appear to be huge misses for Sony.

That being said, they can't take in the development of all these games. Who would take over? I'm pretty sure Sony has already had to reassign at least two games internally/externally. Twisted Metal and probably an Uncharted game.

Holammer

There is plenty of stuff in KotOR that could really use a remake, like some of the logic puzzles which are completely unfashionable today.
But I still think we dodged a bullet with all the current year pitfalls. Like new story beats to cram in social commentary and NPCs that are way too eager to discuss their traumas, pronouns and sexuality.

StereoVsn

diffusionx

Gold Member
Note her work has completely dried up since the lombax titties episode came to light.
Well, that's lunatic, unhinged behavior. It's also so against the team dynamic that everybody is trying to foster. Even the most SJW California company doesn't want crazy people in their office. Also - it "came to light" because she talked about it on twitter. She was proud of it!

Last edited:
Top Bottom